Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PMS bar mount failure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Trekkor
"Quite a turn, unexpected, this thread has taken"-Yoda.

Joe Bob
I made a call to a certain friend of mine who owns a parts house that knows the seller of the mount and suggested that he tell the seller of the mount to pull his head out of his ass and back his product....the parts seller said that was a good idea and would pass the suggestion along.....let's see what happens....
Trekkor
I wonder if this thread has been "seen by seller". confused24.gif

I plan to send the repaired mount pics directly to him with a follow up phone call.

KT
Mueller
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Apr 28 2006, 05:03 PM) *

I made a call to a certain friend of mine who owns a parts house that knows the seller of the mount and suggested that he tell the seller of the mount to pull his head out of his ass and back his product....the parts seller said that was a good idea and would pass the suggestion along.....let's what happens....

I was pretty sure it sounded like it was going to be returned/resolved but Trek made the choice to fix it.

If it breaks again after he mod's it, he has no right to call and complain about it..........

jhadler
QUOTE(trekkor @ Apr 28 2006, 04:12 PM) *

I plan to send the repaired mount pics directly to him with a follow up phone call.

KT

Not knowing the man myself, I'm pretty sure that he couldn't care less about the "repaired" part. What he wanted to see, I'm sure, was the failed part that he produces. It's really no longer his part after it's been modified.

The only way he'd be interested (I think) is if you offer to help him redesign the part so that it's stronger, without costing more to fabricate. Just a hunch...

-Josh2
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(jhadler @ Apr 28 2006, 05:20 PM) *

QUOTE(trekkor @ Apr 28 2006, 04:12 PM) *

KT

Not knowing the man myself, I'm pretty sure that he couldn't care less about the "repaired" part. What he wanted to see, I'm sure, was the failed part that he produces. It's really no longer his part after it's been modified.

The only way he'd be interested (I think) is if you offer to help him redesign the part so that it's stronger, without costing more to fabricate. Just a hunch...

-Josh2

if he offered to replace the bar - why are you even touching it?

break another one... and another one... and then will you go firewall mount smile.gif ?
Trekkor
That's true. I didn't want to deal with shipping , waiting, inspecting, etc.

I inspected this bar prior to install and when I had it out for the racing trans swap.
Looked good both times to me and others.

From an e-mail I sent on the 25th:
"...Truthfully, I'd have to have him ( my welder ) go over any replacement part you may be willing to offer.
After what I found yesterday, I was completely shocked at the lack of welds."

After that statement, no further contact has been made.

Am I mean?

KT
Trekkor
The pics he gets from me will show what *real* welds look like. welder.gif

KT
blabla914
Trekkor,

Sorry to see this. All I can say is, it lasted a lot longer than mine! Here are some shots of how mine looked after two autocrosses with my "monster" 2.0L motor and a 205-50 R compound khumo.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here's how I attempted to fix it. I still didn't like it. Under full throttle over bumps I could hear the engine revs jump as it flexed.

Click to view attachment

Went to a Rich Johnson mount. That thing is SOLID. Anyone interested in buying the above mount for $125, please PM me. If you are only running on the street, I believe this mount will be fine.

Kelly
Trekkor
I just ground all the old "welds" off.

My welder picked up the Cro-Mo TIG rods.

Tomorrow night welder.gif

KT
grantsfo
...well?
Trekkor
Since you asked. biggrin.gif

I just got home, shot a few pics.
Had a nice dinner of lamb, chicken, shrimp, potatoes, asparagus, brussel sprouts, salad and bread.
Chocolate truffles and tira misu. (sp?) chowtime.gif

Oh, the welds...

Turned out fantastic.

He said, "if this breaks, I don't want to be there." unsure.gif

KT
Trekkor
More welder.gif
Trekkor
Show it off piratenanner.gif
Trekkor
Last.

Extra stitch welds behind the plate.

All this was done with a fantastic little welder. Totally portable.

A Miller 110/220V TIG/Stick no bigger than a small mailbox and weighs only 10 pounds.

This machine can do work like the machines mounted in a truck bed.

I want one.

KT
McMark
Looks good. thumb3d.gif Judging from the other pictures in the thread I'd keep an eye on the welds directly on the bar to see if the bar starts tearing/cracking. But that plate isn't going anywhere.

Saw those little TIGs at the welding supply. They're great little units, I almost bought one myself, just because they were so dang portable.
blabla914
That's a real good looking repair. I'll be interested to see how that holds up for you. As Mark said, and I show in my picts, most of the failures I've seen have the bracket ripped off of the tube. That's why I chose to add pieces to go all the way around the tube. Yours is the first one I've seen have the plate separate.

Kelly
grantsfo
Looks good. I would echo the concerns about the welds on the pieces that attach to the bar. If one set of welds were bad wouldnt others have potential of being bad as well?

Glad to see this fixed in short order. Will you be back on the road this week?

My car is in for alignement this week. I fixed my clutch adjustment and it shifts great now. Still a little bit of gear grinding in 1st to 2nd, but nothing terrible like before. And I have new throttle cable, pedal linkage and Engmans great looking aluminum pedal board. All my excuses should be gone by the next event.
Trekkor
Will you be back on the road this week?

I may work on it today...
I'm shooting for the PCA a/x on Saturday at Santa Rosa.
I'll drive it as hard as I can.

KT
Trekkor
I put it all back together in about an hour and a half.

I only had to re-connect the throttle cable and the shift rod. It slipped right back up in there.

Even cleaned the underside of the motor and drove it. mueba.gif

KT
Trekkor
I just e-mailed PMS with my repair pics and intentions.
I have not asked for anything from them due to the failure.
Just a FYI and I mentioned the thread here on the clubsite and the overall perception of his mount by the members.

KT
Joe Bob
Tell him I said Hi......
Trekkor
I will.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.