Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guess this Mystery 914 part & where does it go?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
IronHillRestorations
It's kinda hard to tell from the Sir Andy style photography, but with the little detail available I'm guessing 914-6 spark plug tool.
GWN7
Craig got it....drain tube...sorry about the pic, but it was in a plastic bag smile.gif
914runnow
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Sep 5 2006, 07:22 PM) *

Craig got it....drain tube...sorry about the pic, but it was in a plastic bag smile.gif

Whoa nelly!!!!!!
Got any of those to sell???
OR a source on the Drain tube???
JeffBowlsby
Well technically its a 911-025-612-00 'grommet' :wink:

If we all ask Bruce really nice...we might be able to persuade him to run us a batch...
GWN7
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 5 2006, 10:29 PM) *

Well technically its a 911-025-612-00 'grommet' :wink:

If we all ask Bruce really nice...we might be able to persuade him to run us a batch...

lol

see my blog biggrin.gif
Garland
OK try this one What is it?
mrhurtalot
the little red thing goes on the ciggarette lighter
atleast theres one just like that on my car. its mounted down under the fuse board and i dont think its stock. haha
boxstr
Looks like part of the license plate holder, or bracket for the license plate?
CCLIN?????
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Garland @ Nov 12 2006, 02:51 PM) *

Been looking at this for nearly 2 weeks!

Part of the early raintray support mechanism?

I know it! Driving me nuts! Please, please, please? Answer?
JeffBowlsby
Is it this brace in the front trunk?
boxstr
Its flat, unlike the cowl braces. Garland give us a hint please.
CCLIN???
IronHillRestorations
I'm going with the rain tray support too.
ClayPerrine
If any of you were at MUSR 5, you may remember this from the tech quiz.... (Actual Question).

9. In the picture below is a piece of engine tin. Where does it go?

Click to view attachment

a. Left front of the engine compartment in a 914 /6.
b. Left rear of the engine compartment in a 914/6 with a sportomatic transmission, supporting the vacuum tank.
c. Right rear of the engine compartment in a 914/6 with a sportomatic transmission, supporting the vacuum tank.
d. None of the above.

Enjoy!

Pat Garvey

OK, it's been long enough! What is it? Lotsa guesses, but you HAVE to settle it.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 3 2006, 08:35 PM) *

OK, it's been long enough! What is it? Lotsa guesses, but you HAVE to settle it.

Ok, let's press on with "mystery parts". Apparently Garland threw out something to stump us & left.

The challenge, in this cold weather, is to come up with new pics of stumper parts. You guys are all so good I haven't been able to stump anyone yet....but I'm looking for something.

Who has something - and will hang around long enough to settle it?
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

Here's an easy one. What does it go on???

Tom
Pat Garvey
OK, this is a little different. I have NO idea what these gaskets are for, other than for a Porsche air cooled car. Know they didn't come from my long-gone 924, because nothing EVER broke on that car - dull but depenable.

These are "probably" 914, but could be early six parts. Just stumbled accross them looking for model train parts. Any ideas? They're at least 15 years old.
beer3.gif "mmm...Friday!"
SirAndy
some of may remeber this one, so please let the "newbies" have a guess first ...

biggrin.gif Andy
Garland
YES! It is one of the hangers for a early rain support. Sorry it took so long to respond.

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 23 2006, 09:30 PM) *

smash.gif
Garland
You sould tell them how many of these there are. 1,2,3.....

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 8 2006, 10:15 PM) *

some of may remeber this one, so please let the "newbies" have a guess first ...

biggrin.gif Andy

Garland

I belive the lower seal is for the intermediate flange for the oil filter, to the case.

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 8 2006, 09:53 PM) *

OK, this is a little different. I have NO idea what these gaskets are for, other than for a Porsche air cooled car. Know they didn't come from my long-gone 924, because nothing EVER broke on that car - dull but depenable.

These are "probably" 914, but could be early six parts. Just stumbled accross them looking for model train parts. Any ideas? They're at least 15 years old.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Dec 8 2006, 08:45 PM) *

Hi Guys,

Here's an easy one. What does it go on???

Tom

AC compressor mounting brackets.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 8 2006, 08:53 PM) *

The top two are for the fuel pump on a VW type IV engine (same gasket kit as a 914)

The bottom one is for the oil filter console.

Sooooo... Is anyone going to take a shot at my pict?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Garland @ Dec 8 2006, 08:01 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 8 2006, 10:15 PM) *

biggrin.gif Andy

You sould tell them how many of these there are. 1,2,3.....

either zero, two or four, depending on model ...
bye1.gif Andy
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 23 2006, 11:30 PM) *

Just got email frim Garland - rain tray suport!!!!

Oh yeah, oh yeah. "That's right, we're bad"
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Garland @ Dec 9 2006, 01:11 AM) *

I belive the lower seal is for the intermediate flange for the oil filter, to the case.

Could be, could be. I don't know.

Originally thought the lower gasket to be for the cold start injector, but seem to remeber that being a rubber-like gasket.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Garland @ Dec 9 2006, 01:11 AM) *

Garland - you are correct! That's exactly what it's for. Now I can bag & tag it. Thanks!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 2 2006, 01:47 AM) *

If any of you were at MUSR 5, you may remember this from the tech quiz.... (Actual Question).

Click to view attachment

b. Left rear of the engine compartment in a 914/6 with a sportomatic transmission, supporting the vacuum tank.
c. Right rear of the engine compartment in a 914/6 with a sportomatic transmission, supporting the vacuum tank.
d. None of the above.

Enjoy!

I'm going with "a", though something doesn't look just right. BTW, thanks for your input on the gaskets - you're correct about the intermediate flange gasket. But, the other gaskets - you say fuel pump. Do you mean re-build of the fule pump?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 11 2006, 05:09 PM) *

Click to view attachment

d. None of the above.

Enjoy!

I'm going with "a", though something doesn't look just right. BTW, thanks for your input on the gaskets - you're correct about the intermediate flange gasket. But, the other gaskets - you say fuel pump. Do you mean re-build of the fule pump?

On a carbureted type IV there is a mechanical fuel pump that mounts to the side of the motor, underneath the cylinders near the bell housing. It's on what would be the left rear on a 914. If you look, there is a unmachined boss on a 914 engine case where the fuel pump would go. That gasket is used to seal the fuel pump to the case.

As for the tin... keep guessing... I will let you know when someone guesses right. happy11.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 12 2006, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 11 2006, 05:09 PM) *

Click to view attachment

d. None of the above.

Enjoy!

On a carbureted type IV there is a mechanical fuel pump that mounts to the side of the motor, underneath the cylinders near the bell housing. It's on what would be the left rear on a 914. If you look, there is a unmachined boss on a 914 engine case where the fuel pump would go. That gasket is used to seal the fuel pump to the case.

As for the tin... keep guessing... I will let you know when someone guesses right. happy11.gif

Clay,

Checked some old Vdub stuff - you're right about the gaskets re:fuel pump. Must have come in a long forgotten gasket set I bought, because I have no use for them. Anyone want them for nada?

As for the tin...I really didn't think I was right, because, even though it appears to be upside down, there was no pressed "X" in it. Shot in the dark!
ClayPerrine
Ok.. I will give everyone a break..

The answer is d. None of the above.

Yes, it's a piece of engine tin....

But it is the engine tin for a 1927 Chevrolet.

In 27, Chevy built a "Copper Cooled" version of their 4 cylinder. It was air cooled, and had tin between the top and bottom of the engine. The tin was also used on the water cooled models.

The air cooled engine was a bust... but the engine tin remained. My father owns a 27 Chevy. Thats where the picture came from.

Yes I am a bastard for posting that.....
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 12 2006, 11:43 PM) *

In 27, Chevy built a "Copper Cooled" version of their 4 cylinder. It was air cooled, and had tin between the top and bottom of the engine. The tin was also used on the water cooled models.

The air cooled engine was a bust... but the engine tin remained. My father owns a 27 Chevy. Thats where the picture came from.

Clay,
Agree with your position!

Not fair, not 914. Shame on you! Your pushrod seal/oil return tube seals will begin leaking on 1-2-07. You asked for it! ar15.gif Cuckle
TJB/914
Hi Pat,

Looks like your home??? How's the back pain & are you off your meds yet?? thumb3d.gif

Here's a little something for the 6er's. What is it & where does it go??

T
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Dec 24 2006, 12:12 AM) *

Hi Pat,

Looks like your home??? How's the back pain & are you off your meds yet?? thumb3d.gif

T

Tom,

Back is "back" to normal. No meds. Garage floor is now cccolld!

Looks like chain tensioner covers & ????
Pat
TJB/914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 23 2006, 07:32 PM) *

Hi Pat,

T

Tom,

Pat

Pat,

So good to hear your back is better. I know you had lots of pain & was a little cranky while it was hurting. You guessed correct chain tensioner convers for a friends 2.4 liter 6er. I got them powder coated (non orig) & they are pretty.

T
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 23 2006, 08:37 PM) *

Clay,

Not fair, not 914. Shame on you! Your pushrod seal/oil return tube seals will begin leaking on 1-2-07. You asked for it! ar15.gif Cuckle

Ok.. Ok.. I am suitably chastised.

But you got to admit, it looks like a 914 part.

And I will have you know that the pushrod tubes on Betty's 914 are seeping. The seals get replaced yearly.

And my six leaks like a seive, but I am going to rebuild a new 2.4 to S spec to replace it with.

Oh, and Pat... I am really glad you are here. smilie_pokal.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 24 2006, 03:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 23 2006, 08:37 PM) *

Clay,

Ok.. Ok.. I am suitably chastised.

But you got to admit, it looks like a 914 part.

And I will have you know that the pushrod tubes on Betty's 914 are seeping. The seals get replaced yearly.

And my six leaks like a seive, but I am going to rebuild a new 2.4 to S spec to replace it with.

Oh, and Pat... I am really glad you are here. smilie_pokal.gif

You're right - that part is very Porsche-like in appearance. Sorry about the oil leak curse. I pushed the wrong button for starting the curse - hit 1-2-06 by mistake.
beerchug.gif

ClayPerrine
You aren't the first one to cuss at me over that picture. I put it on MUSR tech quiz a few years ago, and got mightly cussed over it.

Even Ed Mayo fell for it.... happy11.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 29 2006, 09:44 AM) *

You aren't the first one to cuss at me over that picture. I put it on MUSR tech quiz a few years ago, and got mightly cussed over it.

Even Ed Mayo fell for it.... happy11.gif

OK Clay, you CAN be forgiven. You can re-earn our trust. You CAN have all curses recanted. But only if you can try to stump us with a real 914 part, no matter how obscure (there have been a couple of really obscure parts on this thread, but we all learn from them). How 'bout it? It's the dead of winter & we need to be entertained.
914-8
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Dec 23 2006, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 23 2006, 07:32 PM) *

Hi Pat,

T

Tom,

Pat

Pat,

So good to hear your back is better. I know you had lots of pain & was a little cranky while it was hurting. You guessed correct chain tensioner convers for a friends 2.4 liter 6er. I got them powder coated (non orig) & they are pretty.

T

The two pieces in the bottom row are timing chain covers.

The two pieces above them are the timing chain *housings*.
TJB/914
We have a winner with 914-8. You must be a 6-guy. thumb3d.gif

Here's another easy one, but to make it a little harder give me a number count. How many in a 914____??

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jan 2 2007, 12:59 AM) *

Here's another easy one, but to make it a little harder give me a number count. How many in a 914____??

Tom

I count 8 on my '72 - plugs for interior panels, to cover screw holes.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 2 2007, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jan 2 2007, 12:59 AM) *

Tom

I count 8 on my '72 - plugs for interior panels, to cover screw holes.

Hi Pat & CW's.
Darn you Pat, now I have to make a count. I just know there are more than (8) of these screw covers. Did you count the ones under the sun visor's, down the windshield post?? Also the back pad with the targa top holddowns & rear window area???? Can we get one of our gonna-be junior members to make this count?? poke.gif
Also, check if all screw covers are the same dia.??? I seem to remember two different size diameters??
The more we think we know the more confused I am.
Tom
914runnow
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jan 1 2007, 08:59 PM) *

Tom

Of one size or three sizes???
Yes there are three sizes of those..
Want the three locations and count??
Hint two of them fall out soon due to 'slamming'....
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Jan 3 2007, 01:08 AM) *

Tom

You are correct - 3 diff sizes. You are also correct about slamming, though I've never done that. I always "press" my doors to the first closure, to keep the rubber from compressing. But I noticed last night that the pug on the drivers' side (rear) had gone missing! Searched high & low - it's somewhere other then my garage. One of the big ones - where do I get just one?
Laurence Budd
QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Jun 11 2006, 11:43 AM) *

<!-- quoteo(post=701065:date=Jun 11 2006, 10:21 AM:name=Thomas J Bliznik) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 11 2006, 10:21 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->
I am starting a new topic "Guess this Part & where does it go"

This is an easy one for Pat. confused24.gif

Tom
<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

Tom,
I KNOW I KNOW ASK ME ASK ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gary

Tom, I have one of these AC pullies and a nice compressor to go with it- available- Laurence "danger" Budd
type47
AAAHHHHHHHH! i found a new place to play. the only problem is i don't know the answer. the question is, "what is this part and why do i have 2 of them?". don't know if the application on a 914 is one or two; i suspect only 1. like i said, i'm asking what they are and don't know the answer. and to avoid the wise answers, not that that is a bad thing and is fun, the 2 things i asking about do not have red and black plastic parts and are not on a key ring.... biggrin.gif
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 3 2007, 05:33 PM) *

QUOTE(914runnow @ Jan 3 2007, 01:08 AM) *

Tom

You are correct - 3 diff sizes. You are also correct about slamming, though I've never done that. I always "press" my doors to the first closure, to keep the rubber from compressing. But I noticed last night that the pug on the drivers' side (rear) had gone missing! Searched high & low - it's somewhere other then my garage. One of the big ones - where do I get just one?

Ohtay..Just to be clear..
My slamming was aimed at the driver door..
Of which those two of the 'largest' plugs are in the
map pocket top holes....
Bolted thru the door panel...
Those seem to have an 'X-File's affect' to just vanish into thin air..
If you need some, and find some..Let me know too...
I HAVE NEVER FOUND THEM ON ANY OF MY DERELICTS ..
That I have sent to 914 Heaven.....
Only on low mile Concour 914's......
Funny how those owners don't want to sell those plugs!!!!!
I do need two to complete my Garage Queen 73 2.0 interior..
Soooooo letz finish the hole plug quiz......
Some Newbie CHIME in and Win!!!!!!! idea.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(type47 @ Jan 8 2007, 12:08 PM) *

AAAHHHHHHHH! i found a new place to play. the only problem is i don't know the answer. the question is, "what is this part and why do i have 2 of them?". don't know if the application on a 914 is one or two; i suspect only 1. like i said, i'm asking what they are and don't know the answer. and to avoid the wise answers, not that that is a bad thing and is fun, the 2 things i asking about do not have red and black plastic parts and are not on a key ring.... biggrin.gif

Looks like IT could be part of the latching mechanism for an early rain tray (would only be one - so you'd have a spare). If so, it would have a rubber "snuffer" tucked into it. If that's what it is, I could never figure out the purpose of the mising rubber snuffer, unless it was to keep the rear lid from rubbing on metal.

What's the opinion of others?
Porsche Rescue
"snuffer" was to protect the rear trunk lid should you decide to open it while engine hatch is open.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.