Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guess this Mystery 914 part & where does it go?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Pat Garvey
This may be off topic. See pic. Anyone know what these are. They're in my parts "bin". Could be 914, 911, 924 (yeh, I had one) or VW. Before I throw them out, anyone recognize them?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 18 2006, 11:04 PM) *

This may be off topic. See pic. Anyone know what these are. They're in my parts "bin". Could be 914, 911, 924 (yeh, I had one) or VW. Before I throw them out, anyone recognize them?

DUH! Forgot the pic - sorry!
JeffBowlsby
just the 2-wire clip for me Tom. Thanks again.
TJB/914
Pat, Jeff & Barry,

I'll get this stuff done sometime this week. Have a busy travel week coming up & will work everything with your patience.

Pat, understand your wife is worried about you. Don't be alarmed, because I woke up this morning thinking about those fuel line clips. My wife thinks the same about me. I remembered where another one was. It's where the fuel lines come out of the tunnel and goes through the sheet metal into the engine compartment. I'll have to get down flat & low on the ground to get that picture. Don't worry it's all for a good cause. Yes, we are crazy.

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 19 2006, 06:37 AM) *

Pat, Jeff & Barry,

I'll get this stuff done sometime this week. Have a busy travel week coming up & will work everything with your patience.

Pat, understand your wife is worried about you. Don't be alarmed, because I woke up this morning thinking about those fuel line clips. My wife thinks the same about me. I remembered where another one was. It's where the fuel lines come out of the tunnel and goes through the sheet metal into the engine compartment. I'll have to get down flat & low on the ground to get that picture. Don't worry it's all for a good cause. Yes, we are crazy.

Tom

I've been all over my fuel lines & these clamps are not used on a 72! The plastice lines come up through a grommet attached to the sheet metal & are held in place by more of those funky painted metal tabs - no plastice clamps (though that would be an improvement). I'm more & more amazed at how many differing parts from model year to model year there are.

Still have my original plastic lines also & have no intention of changing them unless I see some degradation. I do change all the fabric covered hoses on a 5 year rotation (I'm due), as well as the injector hoses & seals.

Thanks for the crazy statement! Now I can inform my wife that, based on the statement of a very reliable source, she is correct. They ALWAYS win!
grasshopper
On my 75, there is a white plastic clamps near where the fuel lines exit the firewall, and they run up through the engine tin, and there are two metal tabs that hold them on top of the long. So I have one plastic clip, and metal tabs...WTF is going on!
Bleyseng
agree.gif

Climb under the car and look above the air deflector on the passenger side to see em.
914werke
agree.gif and I need a pair for my car?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 20 2006, 08:37 AM) *

agree.gif

Climb under the car and look above the air deflector on the passenger side to see em.

boldblue.gif

I KNEW those things looked familiar! Just couldn't quite place where they were. Cool!
bob91403
Clue- Rarely purchased option. One of two parts. Will post the other part with correct answer.
JeffBowlsby
Rear wheel mudflaps....Thats the support brace...
bob91403
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 22 2006, 03:12 PM) *

Rear wheel mudflaps....Thats the support brace...
If anyone else got it first, I'd be suprised. You are correct Sir.
JeffBowlsby
And raise you one...

What is this? SirAndy NOT eligible... biggrin.gif
bob91403
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 22 2006, 03:18 PM) *

And raise you one...

What is this? SirAndy NOT eligible... biggrin.gif
Gas heater?
1970 Neun vierzehn
Ski rack attachment? (Duh!) blink.gif
JeffBowlsby
Gas heater?

Good show my man....What company made it?

JeffBowlsby
One more. Why is this significant to 1972 and earlier 914s?

popcorn[1].gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Center seat belt.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Gas heater........Webasto?
JeffBowlsby
Center seat belt.

Nope.
JeffBowlsby
Gas heater........Webasto?

Yep.
bob91403
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 22 2006, 04:35 PM) *

One more. Why is this significant to 1972 and earlier 914s?

popcorn[1].gif
Seat belt extension, for fixed passenger seat with kids? So it doesn't throttle them.
JeffBowlsby
Seat belt extension, for fixed passenger seat with kids? So it doesn't throttle them.

Nope. See if you can RECALL the answer....hehehe...
bob91403
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 22 2006, 07:01 PM) *

Nope. See if you can RECALL the answer....hehehe...
Recalled by NHTSA Oct. 27, 1972, 18,989 cars, buckle assembly, failure.
JeffBowlsby
You score! We are probably referring to the same thing, but the factory published safety recall campaign BG says:

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/Recalls.htm

On Oct 26, 1972, the recall was to replace the fixed length safety belt for the fixed passenger seat only of 1970-71 914/4 and 914/6, because the orignal belt may have been a few mm too long and may have been a potential safety hazard... confused24.gif

clap56.gif clap56.gif
Pat Garvey
boldblue.gif
Ok, this is easy. The 2 parts on the left were replaced by the one on the right. What are all of them, what's the purpose & why was this lame thing done? I have questions, but let's get the scoring done first.
jk76.914
That's pretty easy. Those are battery covers- left early, right late. The early one was held on by the big rubber loop in the middle. The late one has teeth on the long sides that snap onto the deck of the battery, so it didn't need the loop. The loops pull apart easily.

They were put there in an attempt to stop the water that drains in from the gap between the engine lid and the body that is directly above the battery from rinsing the top of the battery off. Nice, fresh looking battery, but it gave a sulfuric acid shower to the fuel lines and suspension console below......
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jun 24 2006, 09:16 PM) *

That's pretty easy. Those are battery covers- left early, right late. The early one was held on by the big rubber loop in the middle. The late one has teeth on the long sides that snap onto the deck of the battery, so it didn't need the loop. The loops pull apart easily.

They were put there in an attempt to stop the water that drains in from the gap between the engine lid and the body that is directly above the battery from rinsing the top of the battery off. Nice, fresh looking battery, but it gave a sulfuric acid shower to the fuel lines and suspension console below......

clap56.gif
You win! I said it was easy!
And, you brought up the point that the loop pulls apart easily. Though it doesn't show in my pic, the loop is broken & held together by the "straw" from a WD40 can!

Does anyone know of an adhesive that will stronglt bind the 2 ends of this together? It held up for over 30 years & I'd much prefer using the original battery cover & loop, because the campaign replacement appears to be a cobbled up Audi/VW part & is crude.

Thanks for bringing it up - exactly what I was hoping for!
jk76.914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 25 2006, 07:13 AM) *

QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jun 24 2006, 09:16 PM) *

clap56.gif
You win! I said it was easy!
And, you brought up the point that the loop pulls apart easily. Though it doesn't show in my pic, the loop is broken & held together by the "straw" from a WD40 can!

Does anyone know of an adhesive that will stronglt bind the 2 ends of this together? It held up for over 30 years & I'd much prefer using the original battery cover & loop, because the campaign replacement appears to be a cobbled up Audi/VW part & is crude.

Thanks for bringing it up - exactly what I was hoping for!

That's easy too. Since the loop is actually made of tubing- just cut the head off an 8 penny nail, and grind a crude point on the cut end. Smear it with 3M weatherstripping adheasive- maybe just past the slime stage- and jam it into one end half way. Do the same with the exposed half, and splice the two pieces. Let it sit for a couple of days, and then install it.... There'll be a slight bulge on either side of the joint, but it'll NEVER come apart again.

Click to view attachment Is this installed correctly? I have no guide to go by...
JeffBowlsby
Superglue may do it. I have seen superglue used to make o-rings and weatherstripping, with none of the yellow contct adhesive residue. And for that morsel of wisdom, will you sell me that recall campaign battery cover with the yellow label?

Please...?
BS Chairman
What is this? You will find it only on 75/76 cars. This should be fairly easy to figure out.
Gary
TJB/914
Hmmmm, It's the fan belt for (Craig) Bxtr's model-A pickup truck? heee hee.

Tom
BS Chairman
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 25 2006, 03:14 PM) *

Tom

Nope. But I thought you would tell before anyone else could guess. I believe you gave it to me when I was showing the 75. So if you remember, wait.
Gary
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Jun 25 2006, 07:57 PM) *

Tom

Nope. But I thought you would tell before anyone else could guess. I believe you gave it to me when I was showing the 75. So if you remember, wait.
Gary

Hmmm, let's see. That looks curiously like the "belt" that held some jack handles in place. Wrapped around the upper half of the jack(late style) & held everyting from rattlin'. Or, am I wacko? Mine has one.
BS Chairman
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 25 2006, 05:02 PM) *

QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Jun 25 2006, 07:57 PM) *

Tom

Gary

Hmmm, let's see. That looks curiously like the "belt" that held some jack handles in place. Wrapped around the upper half of the jack(late style) & held everyting from rattlin'. Or, am I wacko? Mine has one.

Nope again, wacko, not to say that maybe in its life it once may have been used for that! But not in 1975. We need to get out of the trunk. Lets see!?! Another clue would be it holds something on.
TJB/914
Gary,

This goes back to my other post. I am getting old & forget details confused24.gif of what I gave away. I think it's to hold down the plastic battery cover. The one Pat shows on another posting.

Tom
jk76.914
I'm guessing now. Does it hold the relay cover on in the engine bay? I know they got rid of the stud and knurled nut, and there are ridges on the cover that could hold an elastic band from slipping off, but I never know what's supposed to go there.

Jim
grasshopper
uuhh....band for tool kit??
BS Chairman
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jun 25 2006, 07:50 PM) *

I'm guessing now. Does it hold the relay cover on in the engine bay? I know they got rid of the stud and knurled nut, and there are ridges on the cover that could hold an elastic band from slipping off, but I never know what's supposed to go there.

Jim

Ding/Dong, we have a winner!!!!! Good work Jim. boldblue.gif It replaced the stud and knurled nut in 75/76. The thought was to stop water from leaking in to the relay board. This band is about 7" long and slipped around cover and board. Now Tom, do you remember? Detail, Detail, Detail.
Gary
jk76.914
QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Jun 26 2006, 04:40 AM) *

Jim

Ding/Dong, we have a winner!!!!! Good work Jim. boldblue.gif It replaced the stud and knurled nut in 75/76. The thought was to stop water from leaking in to the relay board. This band is about 7" long and slipped around cover and board. Now Tom, do you remember? Detail, Detail, Detail.
Gary

Lucky guess for me. Anybody know where I can I get one? My '76 never had one, and I was about to modify (shorten) a battery hold-down band.....

Jim
tod914
Ahhh so thats what its for... I have one and could never figure out what it was used for.
BS Chairman
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 26 2006, 05:56 AM) *

Ahhh so thats what its for... I have one and could never figure out what it was used for.

Here is a shot that I put together to show how the band works. Jim PM me and may we make a deal for the one I have.
Gary
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Jun 26 2006, 08:40 AM) *

Jim

Gary

WTF.gif
Why? Because they were cheap? Saved what - 15 cents? But it left a hole in the top of the cover for mother nature & spiders to get into! I believe, but I don't get it!
BS Chairman
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 26 2006, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Jun 26 2006, 08:40 AM) *

Jim

Gary

WTF.gif
Why? Because they were cheap? Saved what - 15 cents? But it left a hole in the top of the cover for mother nature & spiders to get into! I believe, but I don't get it!

No, the one I set up is and old one I had laying around. The 75/76 had no hole and was thought to keep water out by using the band to hold cover in place!?! Cheap,cheap. Today it would have snaps or something to hold it on,I think.
rhodyguy
black, round, plastic, 1/8" dia and 3/8" long.

k
Bleyseng
Did SirAndy take that pic???? WTF.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 2 2006, 03:27 PM) *

black, round, plastic, 1/8" dia and 3/8" long.

k

HUH?
McMark
I've known all the other ones. This one's a stumper. unsure.gif
boxstr
Filter from Kevins cigarette.
CCL
Bleyseng
spacer for the valance....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.