Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guess this Mystery 914 part & where does it go?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 23 2007, 11:22 PM) *

No one has seen one of these before?

Hint, it probably didn't have a Porsche partno, but a Porsche/Audi marketing partno.....

Is the card board packaging material that the side strip stick on was laid on, and then shrink wrapped?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 24 2007, 08:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 23 2007, 11:22 PM) *

No one has seen one of these before?

Hint, it probably didn't have a Porsche partno, but a Porsche/Audi marketing partno.....

Is the card board packaging material that the side strip stick on was laid on, and then shrink wrapped?

Nope!

Think about when you oldsters walked into a Porsche/Audi showroom in 1971. What'd you see? A 911, yeah. A 914/6, doubtfully. A 914/4, yeah.

Now, what was hanging on the walls? Word Championship posters? Yeah.

What else?

Another hint - says Porsche/Audi on th backside - black on white (schwatrz mit weiss).

Any other guesses?

Anyone want it? For FREE? I've had it kicking around for too may years.
Pat

ps: what is it?
GWN7
sign board which hung from the ceiling...on the backside it says "Men" and "Womans"..............bathroom sign smile.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 25 2007, 07:58 PM) *

sign board which hung from the ceiling...on the backside it says "Men" and "Womans"..............bathroom sign smile.gif

Well, at least you gave it a try!

Nope, says "Porsch/Audi" on the backside. What do the colorations mean?
Pat

ps: will someone please come & take this, because it goes in the trash when I move!
GWN7
Ok I'll try again.........headlight aligment board........center the headlights on the wheels.........

*In 71 there were no 914's in dealers showrooms up here wink.gif
roadster fan
Is it advertising an appearance option package? confused24.gif

Anyway, I will take it but you would have to ship it to California, on my nickel of course. Let me know.

Jim
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Jul 26 2007, 02:47 PM) *

Is it advertising an appearance option package? confused24.gif

Anyway, I will take it but you would have to ship it to California, on my nickel of course. Let me know.

Jim

You nailed it! And you're welcome to come & get it - it's big! I won't ship it because I'd never find a container large enough & protective enough. Guess I could just wrap it in paper, put a shitload of stamps on it & surprise my mailman.

Pat
Jasfsmith
My turn to throw out an odd part for discussion.

The item is about 1/16" thick and is made of rubber. I've only come across this one example, and it is original. Not all 914's had one (late models did not.)

Click to view attachment

Sorry about the jagged edges in the photo. The sides are smooth. The actual size is about 3" long and 5/8" wide.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 27 2007, 01:33 PM) *

My turn to throw out an odd part for discussion.

The item is about 1/16" thick and is made of rubber. I've only come across this one example, and it is original. Not all 914's had one (late models did not.)

Click to view attachment

Sorry about the jagged edges in the photo. The sides are smooth. The actual size is about 3" long and 5/8" wide.

Just a guess here. Associated with the windshild washer bottle?
Pat

I said it was a guess.
IronHillRestorations
So is this just a flat "gasket"?
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 27 2007, 10:27 PM) *

Just a guess here. Associated with the windshild washer bottle?
Pat

I said it was a guess.

Not even close. Wrong end of the car.

Come on Pat use your thinking cap...

Johny Blackstain
Some sort of strap/retainer for the lug socket bar?
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jul 28 2007, 06:16 PM) *

Nope. It originally had some stretch.

No part number on it. Not exactly sure what to call it. Definitely not an item that either VW or Porsche designed (or at least I hope not). It is a rather funky designed piece.

I cringe every time I even think of using the item it is attached to.

Do I need to elevate the hints to another level? <grin>

(Pat is definitely going to get a demerit if he has lost this piece.)

IronHillRestorations
Does it hold the battery cover on?
jk76.914
Is it a loop that holds dangling brake cable or throttle cable or clutch cable in place? I've seen similar on my daughter's VW.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 28 2007, 10:07 PM) *

No part number on it. Not exactly sure what to call it. Definitely not an item that either VW or Porsche designed (or at least I hope not). It is a rather funky designed piece.

Please"elevate". Looks very familiar, but I just can't place it unsure.gif

Is it the retaining strap for the jack ?
ScooterD
Does the tab go thru the loop and it goes on the shaft of the jack to retain the lever when it is being stored? boldblue.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
It looks like the rubber piece that fastened on the jack by the socket that the jack handle attached to (on early 914s that had the early style jack mounted on the drivers; side of the r. trunk.)

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 29 2007, 11:46 AM) *

It looks like the rubber piece that fastened on the jack by the socket that the jack handle attached to (on early 914s that had the early style jack mounted on the drivers; side of the r. trunk.)

Paul

I believe that's what I eluded to. Since my 914 is a "late" (snob, snob) '72, it had the crank-style Bilstein jack, hence no need for rubber "thingies". Ahh, progress. The crank style jack makes it so easy to discern the crunching sound, when the jack spurs fail.

It's a matter of taste! So less crude, yet the crunching sound still is so easy to hear. Like a fine Gewurtzaminer - Oh forget it it, German wines suck!
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 28 2007, 11:58 PM) *

Some sort of strap/retainer for the lug socket bar?

Negative.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jul 29 2007, 11:00 AM) *

Does it hold the battery cover on?

Sorry, no.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jul 29 2007, 11:07 AM) *

Is it a loop that holds dangling brake cable or throttle cable or clutch cable in place? I've seen similar on my daughter's VW.

No. This piece originally had to much flex to hold a cable in place.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 29 2007, 12:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 28 2007, 10:07 PM) *

Please"elevate". Looks very familiar, but I just can't place it unsure.gif

Very close, but no cigar for you....
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 29 2007, 01:46 PM) *

Paul

WE HAVE A WINNER!

Here's a pic of the piece installed on the jack.

Click to view attachment

Now the followup question. Just what does it do?
Jasfsmith
This mystery part has two components to it.

First, just what is it.
Second, how did it get this way.

(Sorry for the slightly blurred photo. It looked sharp when I took it while under the influence.)

Click to view attachment

Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 29 2007, 10:57 PM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 29 2007, 11:46 AM) *

Paul

I believe that's what I eluded to. Since my 914 is a "late" (snob, snob) '72, it had the crank-style Bilstein jack, hence no need for rubber "thingies". Ahh, progress. The crank style jack makes it so easy to discern the crunching sound, when the jack spurs fail.

It's a matter of taste! So less crude, yet the crunching sound still is so easy to hear. Like a fine Gewurtzaminer - Oh forget it it, German wines suck!

I can't let you off the hook that easy. Your suggestion was "Is it the retaining strap for the jack ?", which is clearly not. Nice try on covering up your incorrect response. <grin>

I will let you off the hook for my "demerit" comment seeing you have a later style jack. <grin>

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 30 2007, 08:10 AM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 29 2007, 01:46 PM) *

Paul

WE HAVE A WINNER!

Here's a pic of the piece installed on the jack.

Click to view attachment

Now the followup question. Just what does it do?

No fair! That's what I said it was!

Besides, late '72's went with the Bilstein crank jack & didn't have them.

Phbbbt!

Oh, did I mention - you have rust on your jack, Jack!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 30 2007, 08:19 AM) *

First, just what is it.

(Sorry for the slightly blurred photo. It looked sharp when I took it while under the influence.)

Click to view attachment

Um, pork skin left on the grill too long! mmmm, love 'em - cholesteral free too!

I have NO idea what that was.

Pat
orange914
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 30 2007, 07:19 AM) *

First, just what is it.

Click to view attachment

shift linkage cover. post oil fire?
jonferns
its a burnt ball cup shift bushing....am i correct? -JON
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 29 2007, 08:40 AM) *

This is the "retaining strap" for the jack (on early cars, anyhow). As Pat has a much newer car, he doesn't see this with any frequency. biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 30 2007, 08:04 PM) *

This is the "retaining strap" for the jack (on early cars, anyhow). As Pat has a much newer car, he doesn't see this with any frequency. biggrin.gif

No, my point was "restraining strap". Restrain - "to hold back from action" , "to keep under control". I didn't mean the ancillary hold downs & they are present no matter what year 914. I suddenly remembered that I have the very same system on my '65 Beetle, with the goofy strap. Any of the "VW" cars of the dark ages had them.

Pat

ooops, sorry. I may have been a little on the negative side with this comment. For any I didn't offend, I apologize (heh, heh)
IronHillRestorations
The melted part is a firewall linkage cover that has slid back and got near or on the exhaust.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 30 2007, 09:40 PM) *

No fair! That's what I said it was!

Besides, late '72's went with the Bilstein crank jack & didn't have them.

Phbbbt!

Oh, did I mention - you have rust on your jack, Jack!

That's not JUST RUST. It is well preserved deteriorated iron, retained to provide Concours judges with a sense of karama. <grin>

(I could remove the rust and repaint the finish, but then I would have to declare that it is restored and change my class from Preservation to Restoration.)
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jul 31 2007, 03:47 AM) *

The melted part is a firewall linkage cover that has slid back and got near or on the exhaust.

Orange914, sendjonathanmail and 9146986 are WINNERS on this one, or at least close enough to be called a winner. (I'll let them fight amongst themselves as to who is closer.)

The linkage cover located at the firewall was discovered melted on the top side edge during my prep for the past Parade Concours. It apparently melted during the crossing over the desert on our final stretch to San Diego. Air temps were approaching 110, and the oil temp gauge was just hitting the warning area. An oil line on the engine (914-6) was located about 1/2 inch above the cover. It is interesting to note that neither the rustproofing on the firewall nor the rubber band that holds the cover on displayed any serious damage other than hardening to a solid mass.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 30 2007, 10:04 PM) *

Thank you. We both agree that THIS is what Pat meant, regardless of what subsequent reasoning he is likely to come up with to cover his in correct guess. <grin>
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 31 2007, 07:55 AM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 30 2007, 10:04 PM) *

Thank you. We both agree that THIS is what Pat meant, regardless of what subsequent reasoning he is likely to come up with to cover his in correct guess. <grin>

Hey -watch it! I have feelings, you know! I'm a sensitive guy! BTW, I can understand why you'd be nervous about using that jack. Had one just like it on my '65 Beetle. If you were p on it & a truck passed, the whole car would wobble - & that was a 1500 # Beetle. I can only imagine what it would be like with another 500# on that flimsy jack! Not to mention the "crunching" sound from the rocker panels. Not to mention that, if you're on asphalt, it will just lower the car.

Nonetheless, nice jack! Nice strap too!

Harumph!
Pat Garvey
OK. In order to discuss ANYTHING other than the rear foglight......

What's this? Where does it fit? What's it's condition? Who knows what we can do to find a supplier?

Pat
JeffBowlsby
sidemarker light attachment clip...busted at that...
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 21 2007, 08:13 PM) *

sidemarker light attachment clip...busted at that...

Good observation, Jeff - and you win (didn't think it would take much)! But, how many of us have a bunch of the side marker backing plates laying around thaat are in perfect condition, except for those damned clips?

Has anyone done any research towards replacements? I put this on the Garage, but came up with nuts & bolts - not original.

Seems unnecessary to replace the entire plate, just because of 2 pins that break every time you sneeze!

Ideas?

Pat
Pat Garvey
Her's another one. Yep, really obvious to most of the experts, but probably not so to those who haven't spent time looking at the belly of the beast.

No prize, because it's too easy.
Pat
914-8
clutch cable clevis and pin
Pat Garvey
Allright, now for something completely different. What is it? Where does it fit? Why?

All three questions must be answered, in order to win the grand prize!
ScooterD
I have never seen one of these before but, is it a tool that temporarily replaces the headlight relay to hold the headlight open to replace the headlight? confused24.gif
Scott

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 23 2007, 07:43 PM) *

Allright, now for something completely different. What is it? Where does it fit? Why?

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ScooterD @ Aug 23 2007, 09:17 PM) *

I have never seen one of these before but, is it a tool that temporarily replaces the headlight relay to hold the headlight open to replace the headlight? confused24.gif
Scott

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 23 2007, 07:43 PM) *

Scott! Excellent guess!

Nope, not even warm! heh, heh, heh!
Pat Garvey
Oh, this is so embarrasing! No one, except Scott ( & it was lame) has even a guess at this?

I thought you people knew everything - you've always guessed my parts before - correctly (for the most part).

Have I stumped you, or are you just being lazy? Bliz - counting on you.

Hints will be supplied when someone even lamely tries, else the secret dies with me.

Get off your lazy asses & do a little searching! Hell, the factory shop manuals will tell you what it is.

Yeah, I'm back..... & with an attitude!
Pat
ClayPerrine
Electrical contacts for a sportomatic shifter????

Can we have a picture with something that we can compare it to for scale?
ScooterD
Quote:[Scott! Excellent guess!]

Quote:[No one, except Scott ( & it was lame) has even a guess at this?]

Pat,
You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You need to be a little more considerate of people putting forth a guess. We may stop playing the game alltogether.
Scott
JeffBowlsby
I know its a ....a....dual function back-up light bypass and flood light circuit expander...yeah thats it... laugh.gif

It inserts into the back-up light switch on the trans so that the back-up bulbs can be serviced....and

It is also used to add an expansion circuit for the exceptionally rare rear flood light only available on the 914-pickups....
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I have no idea. Fuel pump jump tool?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.