Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What car is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
thieuster
Yes. I have a 73 Sonett III tucked away in a barn, somewhere. It's complete, and it's yellow. But in parts. The tub is in great condition, btw.

Time to retire and start working... on the car

Menno
JmuRiz
Cool always liked the oddball sportscars like the sonett...probably why I love the 914.

I may pause on guessing cars, I love strange old cars and want to let some others make guesses. I read Hemmings Sport and Exotic and they have some cool mystery cars in there from time to time.
maddin
IPB Image

IPB Image

smile.gif beautiful!
Darren C
looks a bit like a re-bodied BMW 326
Darren C
That was Tough! the wheels threw me because Goliath took them from the 326!

1952 Goliath GP700 with a body by Rometsch
maddin
QUOTE(Darren C @ Feb 12 2016, 10:50 PM) *

That was Tough! the wheels threw me because Goliath took them from the 326!

1952 Goliath GP700 with a body by Rometsch

smile.gif yep...!

Darren,
I see you're from Chichester! My partners auntie lives in Emsworth and we'll be visiting for a week in July! Got my tickets for Goodwood already..are you going too?
Cheers
cpavlenko
Rare car, my buddy has one.
eitnurg
Errrgh, a Bond Equipe. A fibreglass body on a Spitfire or Vitesse chassis, I can't remember now. Inherited all the disadvantages of the donor vehicle and added a load of its own.
In the 60s/70s used to see them quite regularly: questionable styling, the Mk2 was marginally better, but the Mk1 (as here) from the rear was too narrow and tall, and looked like it was going to fall over. Strange for what was meant to be a low-ish sports car.
Darren C
QUOTE(maddin @ Feb 12 2016, 10:36 PM) *

Darren,
I see you're from Chichester! My partners auntie lives in Emsworth and we'll be visiting for a week in July! Got my tickets for Goodwood already..are you going too?
Cheers

Hey Maddin,

I am actually Emsworth too, but list Chichester in my profile as its our closest city (5 miles away) so most people have an idea where I am. Small World!
I'm GRRC (Goodwood Road Race Club) and part of the "think tank team" that help to make Goodwood events special for everyone attending. I have a large collection of pre & post war classic cars and write for magazines and appear, advise and loan cars for TV shows and Films. All this I do voluntarily as I just love cars and enthusing others. PM me when you come over for FOS and you're most welcome to meet up and sniff methanol together!

In the meantime anyone know what this is?

IPB Image
Gustl
this seems to be the 1971 Matra Laser
veekry9
Click to view attachment

"Though often ignored in favour of more famous 1970s concept cars, the one-off 1971 Matra Laser still has styling
that can grab the attention of a crowd 40 years after its maiden appearance.
Matra was a French manufacturer best known for its production of aeronautics and weaponry – until, that is, it entered its first full Formula 1 season in 1968.
The pinnacle of its motorsport involvement came just a year later, when the Matra-Ford team won the 1969 Constructors’ Championship,
with Jackie Stewart easily taking the corresponding Drivers’ title."

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/ca...aser-michelotti
http://www.lotusespritturbo.com/Michelotti_Matra_Laser.htm
https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/ca...ati-powered-js2

What could have been,at the time coming off the F1 success,the car was a looker and a mid with some performance.
The news media here in Canada gushed over the car at the show.
I still like it,mod.

/
Darren C
Right & Right again... you guy's are good!

Here's an easy one....

IPB Image
Mugs914
No real idea on the above, but the styling would appear to be the work of Ghia and the grille has a Rover look to it (at least to my American eyes!).

Ummm, Rover Ghia anyone? confused24.gif

Ha ha! Fun thread...
Mugs914
Are race cars allowed?

Click to view attachment
maddin
QUOTE(Mugs914 @ Feb 14 2016, 11:26 AM) *

Are race cars allowed?

Click to view attachment

KMW SP30 Porsche
300km race Nuerburgring 1976 bye1.gif
maddin
QUOTE(Darren C @ Feb 14 2016, 05:49 AM) *

Right & Right again... you guy's are good!

Here's an easy one....

IPB Image

the right hand drive threw me off ...Bentley Cresta 2,Facel bodied !
Very nice!

siverson
how about this one?
Darren C
Lotus 7
siverson
> lotus 7

That's what I was thinking too, but the rear fenders look too oblong/long. Maybe just not a super accurate drawing.

-Steve
Darren C
QUOTE(siverson @ Feb 15 2016, 03:56 PM) *

> lotus 7

That's what I was thinking too, but the rear fenders look too oblong/long. Maybe just not a super accurate drawing.

-Steve

Defo a 7, but I wouldn't get too hung up on detail on a Carters T shirt print from Sears that's called "race cars"
Darren C
How about this...

IPB Image

And what was the founder of this Motor company famous for inventing (clue, first used in World War 1)
jd74914
Kinda reminds me of a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost but different.
Darren C
As this seems to have drawn a blank......I'll offer a clue.

The weapon the founder of this Motor Company invented was for taking down German Zeppelin Airships. It was very simple yet beautifully clever.
It is still used Worldwide today by all countries military and I'd guess that 99% of people have heard of it. (unlike the car)

IPB Image

IPB Image
carr914
I thought that most Zeppelins were shot down by Sopwith Camel BiPlanes. I don't think Sopwith made cars
Darren C
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 20 2016, 11:11 AM) *

I thought that most Zeppelins were shot down by Sopwith Camel BiPlanes. I don't think Sopwith made cars

True, there were a few aircraft manufacturers by 1914, but the answer is not reliant upon an airplane. (But I kinda love the idea that the worlds military today would be still be using Sopwith Camels)
barefoot
From Amelia Concours:

Click to view attachment

Turbine engine anyone ?
Click to view attachment
Darren C
56 Chrysler Dart Diablo

&

Chrysler Turbine Car.

Jay Leno has a version of one.

They were all supposed to have been recovered and crushed by Chrysler after loaning them out to the general public to "test"
barefoot
More Amelia:
Click to view attachment

Darren C
1969 Ferrari 365 NART by Grintosa
eitnurg
QUOTE(Darren C @ Feb 15 2016, 04:44 PM) *

How about this...

IPB Image

And what was the founder of this Motor company famous for inventing (clue, first used in World War 1)

It's a/the 'Buckingham'. Like a Panther de Ville gone wrong, and they weren't right to start with. A truly awful device that inspired the question 'why?', and probably gained the record for the fastest depreciation in history.

The connection with WW1 is that Mr Buckingham invented 'tracer' bullets which set fire to airships' hydrogen. At the time it was called 'Buckingham', the 'tracer' name came later, & I remember Biggles used to have to get a letter from his CO whenever he loaded the stuff.

Nowadays his old company seems to be involved with cesspits, which is perhaps appropriate.

It seems another feature of the 'old' thread needs to be re-established, namely only one 'what's this?' at a time, so therefore...........what's this?
Click to view attachment
cantley914
Anyone knows this one?

Click to view attachment

3 seater, central driver, mid engine 750 hp
Darren C
2010 HTT Plethore LC-750
Darren C
Eitnurg,

Spot on with the Buckingham. Great work….you have my greatest respect in your answer!

I agree we need to guess one “car” at a time on this thread so it’s all about your Mystery Van now. Which my early thoughts looking at the wheels, the small front overhang, lack of bonnet/hood, lack of radiator intake, what looks like VW headlights and vents in the rear quarters....lead me to some early rear engine air cooled VW.....

These guy's might have had a hand in it...

IPB Image
cantley914
QUOTE(Darren C @ Feb 20 2016, 10:43 AM) *

2010 HTT Plethore LC-750

Exactly!
Canadian Supercar.
messix
QUOTE(cantley914 @ Feb 20 2016, 10:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Darren C @ Feb 20 2016, 10:43 AM) *

2010 HTT Plethore LC-750

Exactly!
Canadian Supercar.

i dont see the snow plow attachment
eitnurg
These guys might have had a hand in it...

Your guess is as good as mine, unfortunately. It was left over from the last time - no-one was able to answer it.....
maddin
Darren C
QUOTE(eitnurg @ Feb 20 2016, 10:34 PM) *

These guys might have had a hand in it...

Your guess is as good as mine, unfortunately. It was left over from the last time - no-one was able to answer it.....

Hmmmm, now that's a little tough.

Wouldn't it make sense for the OP to actually know what the car/van is before they post it for people to guess?

Moving on...

What about this

IPB Image
SirAndy
Found this beauty today while searching for something else ...
idea.gif

peteyd
1941 Horch 853 Sport Cabriolet
SirAndy
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jul 28 2018, 07:08 PM) *

1941 Horch 853 Sport Cabriolet

Someone knows how to use google image search!
biggrin.gif

PS: Easy to tell when someone uses the same exact line as the first result in Google image search ...
poke.gif
bbrock
Looks like Grandpa Munster's fire truck to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.