Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Official Spec Boxster Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Brad Roberts
Crap. If I drive out of here Friday night, I get there around 4:30am. I wish it was on Sunday. Typically I leave at 3:00pm on Sunday and I'm back here by 9:30pm.

We will see.

B
nine14cats
Spec Boxster update @2:00pm Wed, October 25th. Tony is done with the cage!.... clap56.gif He is now finishing the paint on it and the last welding of the backing plates for the race harnesses.

I pick the car up at 5pm.

TC Design ROCKS!!!!!

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
He always has. The kid's got mad skillz. I really enjoyed working around him when we were up north.

I wonder if he still wants to open a restaraunt?

B
grantsfo
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 25 2006, 02:06 PM) *

Spec Boxster update @2:00pm Wed, October 25th. Tony is done with the cage!.... clap56.gif He is now finishing the paint on it and the last welding of the backing plates for the race harnesses.

I pick the car up at 5pm.

TC Design ROCKS!!!!!

Bill P.

Yes, he has been the best guy I have worked with in the Porsche race car fabrication/repair biz. Honest, realistic and does work effeciently and cost effectively.
Brad Roberts
I'm dying here.. anyone else want to see what the cage looks like as bad as I do..LOL

B
Jeroen
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 26 2006, 01:33 AM) *

I'm dying here.. anyone else want to see what the cage looks like as bad as I do..LOL

agree.gif
pics! pics! pics!
Brad Roberts
I dont think Bill has a camera phone headbang.gif

B
Jeroen
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 25 2006, 06:06 PM) *

His shop is just down the street from work I'm tempted to drive by to see his work.

Grant, please go shoot some pics for us
Brad Roberts
Grant is down there now (I can see it in my Porsche crystal ball) he has his hands in his pockets... he is playing pocket pool... and winning...LOL

Bill is playing on the new jungle gym of bars... he is now busting it around Tony's building..

B
Brad Roberts
I'm not going to stop posting until Bill posts some pics..LOL

Wait.. I have to leave work now.

B
Jeroen
I'm still stuck at work, so I'll keep pestering here for pics laugh.gif
914forme
agree.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Its like knowing that your SO has a great body, but all you do is talk about it!

Dang Bill it's 5:19 Pac time wheres the pictures confused24.gif biggrin.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 25 2006, 05:22 PM) *

agree.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Its like knowing that your SO has a great body, but all you do is talk about it!

Clearly you have no appreciation for SF Bay Area traffic at commute hour. Bill will be lucky to get home by 6 PM.
Brad Roberts
He should be sitting in traffic on 880 right now.. near the San Jose Airport..LOL

(Porsche crystal ball)

B
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. proof that I didnt know Grant had posted (post times are the same)

B
Brad Roberts
OK. I'm home.. where are the pics?? Damn..

B
914forme
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 25 2006, 08:36 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 25 2006, 05:22 PM) *

Clearly you have no appreciation for SF Bay Area traffic at commute hour. Bill will be lucky to get home by 6 PM.

I have had to rewrite this post fout times now.

Joke = biggrin.gif It was in fun - jest, sorry to f-up your day three time zones away.
Jeroen
come on guys... PICS!!!
laugh.gif

(I'm still in the office sad.gif )
nine14cats
Ok...I just got home...it's 7:19pm....

A little thing about Doris and I going out for a quick bite to eat.

The cage is AWESOME!!!!

Get this....you know how most other spec cars have the end caps of the dash cut....not Tony...

You know how some cages you can see from the street in the A pillars and make you feel claustrophobic?.....not Tony...

And you know how some bars go through the AC directional vents?...not Tony...The vents are left stock...I may even be able to use flex hose and still make the AC run through the side vents as well, not just the center vents. Totally trick! clap56.gif

GT3 style X bracing in the main hoop and in the attachment points behind the motor, yet there is no blocking of rearward visibility. And he moded the hard top and radiused the bends of the cage to match the hard top contour. You cannot see the upper halo while looking at the car from the side.

Do you guys really want pics now? It's dark and I'll have to unload and take pics in the dark....I still need to clean up the garage to fit the car in it.... laugh.gif

Oh...and did I mention that all of the cage was TIG welded....no MIG on the thing... welder.gif

This thing is a work of art!

Bill P.
Trekkor
Jumpy.gif

KT
nebreitling
i've got a hard-on for this car already.
nine14cats
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 25 2006, 07:39 PM) *

i've got a hard-on for this car already.

Maybe Doris should have named the car "Woody"..... w00t.gif

Bill P.
DanT
you mean to tell me he didn't cut that beautiful full leather dash? drooley.gif

Sounds great Bill....looking forward to seeing it on Saturday.

Did you sign up for tech?

Or are you just winging it?

It would be great for you and Randal to show up and give me and Trek a hand setting up the course. We have too many rookies in the set up crew yet again.... dry.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 25 2006, 07:51 PM) *

It would be great for you and Randal to show up and give me and Trek a hand setting up the course. We have too many rookies in the set up crew yet again.... dry.gif

Hi Dan,

I am confirmed on tech. I believe Randal didn't get a worker assignment. I can help layout the course until we get enough cars showing up to start the teching...

Bill P.
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 25 2006, 07:51 PM) *

I will be there to help Dan.

Trekkor
I'm sure he has a whole portfolio of roll cage shots by now...

Stop taunting us!! headbang.gif

KT
DanT
Thanks Randal biggrin.gif
DanT
latest course layout....basically the same course with less cones and a couple of areas of fine tuning. smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Come.. on.. the camera has a flash. Just stick it in the car clap56.gif

I just hope he didnt go in front of the dash with the bars confused24.gif

B
Brad Roberts
run through the side vents as well, not just the center vents
This has me confused??

Did he run the knee bar WAY up on the A pillar bars? High enough to block the center vents?

B
nine14cats
Okay...okay...geez....I pulled the car out and started snapping away....

nine14cats
side view...the bars are hidden...

nine14cats
rear view....x brace
nine14cats
driver's side....where's the roll cage?
nine14cats
passenger intrusion x brace...
Aaron Cox
sick
DanT
very nice. clap56.gif
nine14cats
A pillar....notice how close to the A pillar the bar is...the AC grill is untouched and sides are not butchered...

nine14cats
Let's go inside and see all the custom bends on a hand built cage....notice how Tony snugged everything up to the top...and the latch is free and clear!

nine14cats
Continuing the tour....
nine14cats
All the points meet up...

nine14cats
and the rear mounts...

nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 25 2006, 08:59 PM) *

run through the side vents as well, not just the center vents
This has me confused??

Did he run the knee bar WAY up on the A pillar bars? High enough to block the center vents?

B

Here's the trick part....the knee bar is up behind the lower dash pad, but he did not trim the lower pad. It fits perfectly between the back of where the CD player used to be and in front of the AC/fresh air diverter. I definitely can use some flexible hose to the outer vents if I choose to....don't know if I will but I may....

Take a look....

Trekkor
Now you got the beat!! rock_band.gif

KT
Brad Roberts
My knee bar is the same height, but your A pillar bars are farther forward by 3/4 of an inch or so. I didnt want to relocate the fuse panel. I totally see why he didnt cut the dash.. and now I'm wondering why we cut the black car!! The black car has the el cheapo dash in it so it really didnt matter.

I like it. Looks great. I also like the lopsided door X.

Cant wait to see it with the top off.

B
Brad Roberts
When we spoke on the phone he asked me about cutting the stock top. I told him to go for it!. I see what he did now. He cut the top back for the A pillar bars. This allowed him to move them out farther away from the drivers head clap56.gif

B
nine14cats
Yeah...next time you are around you'll have to sit in it. The cage doesn't feel like it's right next to you. It feels comfortable.

I've got to get that quick release on the steering column ASAP. I almost broke my back getting in the car when unloading from the trailer. The window opening is much smaller than the 911.

Don't forget to feed me the alignment settings... smile.gif

Bill P.
Jeroen
booyaah!
Tony did an excellent job smilie_pokal.gif
really trick how he did the extra diagonal braces on the front hoop
and the way the dash fits drooley.gif
looks like it was designed and installed at the factory

one question...
when you're sitting in the car, how's the head clearance to the top front bar?
Randal
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 25 2006, 10:10 PM) *

Let's go inside and see all the custom bends on a hand built cage....notice how Tony snugged everything up to the top...and the latch is free and clear!

If you take the top off Bill someone is going to arrest you. That is way sexy. dry.gif

Tony is really a wonderful fabricator and what is even better is that he does what he says. My vote for vendor of the year!

Any seconds?

nine14cats
The weight of materials for the cage came to 85lbs.....

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.