Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Official Spec Boxster Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Jeroen
excellent job guys!
clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
Brad Roberts
Flight is delayed, so I thought I would check the BBS!!..

Jeroen, you missed out wink.gif

We had our hands full yesteday! A ton of work was performed. Today was just "cleanup" as far as I'm concerned..LOL (Bill will disagree)

It is SOO nice working on late model tubs/cars. Everything is snap together plastic. Most of the electrical connections have positive locking devices.

I about shit when I arrived and saw that the car had the full leather interior option!!! ha ha.. Poor Dan was frothing over the leather dash!!

B
Brad Roberts
Andy,

can you meet up with Bill Friday night and help him with the dash install?? and electrical?? I'm not sure if your are available but he could sure use some help smile.gif

Bill was out "running" for us when you and I removed the dash.

B
DanT
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 22 2006, 08:21 PM) *

Flight is delayed, so I thought I would check the BBS!!..

Jeroen, you missed out wink.gif

We had our hands full yesteday! A ton of work was performed. Today was just "cleanup" as far as I'm concerned..LOL (Bill will disagree)

It is SOO nice working on late model tubs/cars. Everything is snap together plastic. Most of the electrical connections have positive locking devices.

I about shit when I arrived and saw that the car had the full leather interior option!!! ha ha.. Poor Dan was frothing over the leather dash!!

B

you're right Brad....I am still thinking about that beautiful full leather dash.

Clean up indeed. biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
I watched Bill THROW it into the Tow vehicle alfred.gif

He is going to let Tony cut it up drooley.gif

Basically, we re-did everyting we did yesterday in 1/4 of the time clap56.gif

We also canned everything they had made on Sat. for the springs. Ended up not running anything but the Eibachs. No tender springs. We couldnt get the ride height correct with the tenders in place. No problem with them out! I like it better. It left him with MORE room to go down.

B
Trekkor
Will the #628 be on this car, too?

KT
nine14cats
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 22 2006, 08:39 PM) *

KT

Yep!

Lucille will be running the familiar 628.... aktion035.gif

I have a backup set of numbers for Fritz. I'll be putting those on the car next Friday night.

Man...my body hurts....

Bill P.
DanT

KT

It is their (Doris and Bill's) official GGR Timetrial #. So yes the Boxster will be #628 also. Unless they manage to get a new number during the off season... biggrin.gif

Damn....you beat me to it Bill... biggrin.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 22 2006, 08:56 PM) *

KT

It is their (Doris and Bill's) official GGR Timetrial #. So yes the Boxster will be #628 also. Unless they manage to get a new number during the off season... biggrin.gif

I always check with Glen Brooksby every now and then to see if he'll give up his #2.....always a resounding NO! laugh.gif

I don't think a single digit is in the cards anytime soon....

Bill P.
DanT
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 22 2006, 08:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 22 2006, 08:56 PM) *

KT

I always check with Glen Brooksby every now and then to see if he'll give up his #2.....always a resounding NO! laugh.gif

I don't think a single digit is in the cards anytime soon....

Bill P.

Bill, don't feel bad about the single digit. Only took me about 13 years to get #5 dry.gif biggrin.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 22 2006, 04:53 PM) *

Glad to see you guys were able to get the rest of things completed.
I am looking forward to seeing the car in action next weekend.

Bill, is Doris coming along for a little seat time, or are you and Randal going to do some tweaking first?

Had a great time yesterday with you all.

Brad it was nice to touch bases with you again.

Mark and Andy it was nice meeting you both and working with you.

Mark swings a nasty plasma cutter smile.gif

And Andy loves to take things apart biggrin.gif

And Randal.....well Randal spent a lot of time on his back............under the car getting really dirty. huh.gif biggrin.gif

In all seriousness...this was an interesting weekend. It was great working with all of you....

And Bill, thanks for supplying all those expensive parts for us to play with biggrin.gif

Hi Dan,

Doris has a study session for her school so she's out until April of next year.

It will be Randal and I flogging "Lucille". There is no lean in the car right now. Wait till the cage goes in...it should be very interesting.

I can't wait until next weekend. smile.gif

Bill P.
DanT
Bill,
You should check with Jim Calzia....#9. I heard he may be moving on to vintage racing or some such....

Also check directly with Laurie Hageman-Dean. AS the TT registrar she has control of the #s.

Had a great weekend (Saturday) working with you and the rest of the gang.
It will be fun watching you and Randal flog the new girl in town. biggrin.gif
I'll have to try to get a ride with one or both of you on Saturday. barf.gif burnout.gif

Did you send in your email for setup/tech for AX #9?
Trekkor
I'd also like to get a ride.
I put in for set-up duty.

KT
McMark
Where is that AX, Bill? Marina?
DanT
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 22 2006, 10:15 PM) *

Where is that AX, Bill? Marina?

Nope, Alameda biggrin.gif
McMark
Sweet! mueba.gif

That's close enough that I can come watch.
Randal
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 22 2006, 08:54 PM) *

KT

Yep!

Lucille will be running the familiar 628.... aktion035.gif

I have a backup set of numbers for Fritz. I'll be putting those on the car next Friday night.

Man...my body hurts....

Bill P.

When I drove the car down the street I had one objective and that was to test it's side to side motion.

Good thing the car is quiet, otherwise the neighbors would have been after us as I was using the whole street.

With the power steering and that unbelievable suspension, even without the cage, that car turns as well as a single seater. Believe it! It feels like a go-kart.

Bill - With the cage installed a good starting point for Alameda might be to have all the adjustables on full soft and work to tighter from there.

After driving that car I found myself looking for Boxers on Craigs List last night.

Trekkor
At this stage in the game, Randal, I think you type "Boxer" just to tweak us .

biggrin.gif

KT
Randal
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 23 2006, 09:03 AM) *

At this stage in the game, Randal, I think you type "Boxer" just to tweak us .

biggrin.gif

KT

dry.gif
Brad Roberts
Good morning!

I'm 100% this morning. All soreness is gone wink.gif

Grant,

With the double adjustable rear toe links, he will have a LOT more range of rear toe adjustment than any other 986/996 out there. The front is easy to adjust also. I'm suggesting to Bill (right now) that he pick up some Long Acre toe plates and some metric tape measures and metric "steel" rules. He can then dial in the toe he needs for AutoX or road racing. Toe is VERY important in getting these cars to turn in under low speed conditions. I use left foot braking in AutoX if I'm to lazy to change the toe settings prior to the event. He will have to experiment with what works for him.

B
brant
You guys are amazing.
nice job fellas!

nice car Bill!

DanT
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 23 2006, 09:54 AM) *

Good morning!

I'm 100% this morning. All soreness is gone wink.gif

Grant,

With the double adjustable rear toe links, he will have a LOT more range of rear toe adjustment than any other 986/996 out there. The front is easy to adjust also. I'm suggesting to Bill (right now) that he pick up some Long Acre toe plates and some metric tape measures and metric "steel" rules. He can then dial in the toe he needs for AutoX or road racing. Toe is VERY important in getting these cars to turn in under low speed conditions. I use left foot braking in AutoX if I'm to lazy to change the toe settings prior to the event. He will have to experiment with what works for him.

B

Grant, agree.gif What he said smile.gif

Most of the issues with the low speed turns in Boxsters was understeer because of the lack of negative camber in the front suspension and weight transfer to the front.

With the negative camber Bill will have available and the reduced weight transfer due to the weight loss of the car and the other suspension components (not to mention the rear tow adjustability) this car should turn on a dime.

I can hardly wait to get a ride at the AX and also to start instructing Doris at the TT series next year. driving-girl.gif

nine14cats
Spec Boxster update:

The car was delivered to Tony at TCDesign at 8am. Tony started work on it immediately. He did make an adjustment to the scheduled pickup date and time.

Instead of Thursday night (October 26th) he said pick it up Wednesday night (October 25th)!..... piratenanner.gif

That gives me 2 nights to figure out how to put the dash back together! laugh.gif

Bill P.
Randal
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 23 2006, 10:13 AM) *

Spec Boxster update:

The car was delivered to Tony at TCDesign at 8am. Tony started work on it immediately. He did make an adjustment to the scheduled pickup date and time.

Instead of Thursday night (October 26th) he said pick it up Wednesday night (October 25th)!..... piratenanner.gif

That gives me 2 nights to figure out how to put the dash back together! laugh.gif

Bill P.

Tony is the best!
GTeener
clap56.gif Nice work guys! It is cool to see a Boxster all stripped down.
Can't wait to see the finished product. burnout.gif
Brad Roberts
Bill,

I'm HIGHLY concerned about the main hoop and A pillar bars!! I dont want him to have to make 3 main hoops before he figures it out. Did you discuss this with him? The whole "helmet" against the cage thing?? He needs to stay as tight as possible to the hardtop for the A pillar bar. Also make damn sure he doesnt block the center engagement for the top at the top of the windshield..LOL

I wish I was there helping him zip in the scab plates mad.gif and get the interior ready.

I also wish we would have cut down the studs and prepped the scab plate area's for him.. oh well.. he is getting paid for this..LOL

B
nine14cats
B,

Call Tony ASAP if you can. He's laying out the design right now...they are going to make tracks.

(408) 956-1526.

Bill P.

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 23 2006, 10:46 AM) *

Bill,

I'm HIGHLY concerned about the main hoop and A pillar bars!! I dont want him to have to make 3 main hoops before he figures it out. Did you discuss this with him? The whole "helmet" against the cage thing?? He needs to stay as tight as possible to the hardtop for the A pillar bar. Also make damn sure he doesnt block the center engagement for the top at the top of the windshield..LOL

I wish I was there helping him zip in the scab plates mad.gif and get the interior ready.

I also wish we would have cut down the studs and prepped the scab plate area's for him.. oh well.. he is getting paid for this..LOL

B

Brad Roberts
I called him and voiced my concern. I also went over some of the dash stuff and how he was going to do the cage.

It will be BADASS!!!

He is going to use the new 997Cup style design smile.gif

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 23 2006, 01:32 PM) *

I called him and voiced my concern. I also went over some of the dash stuff and how he was going to do the cage.

It will be BADASS!!!

He is going to use the new 997Cup style design smile.gif

B

What is the difference in the 997 versus the 996 cup designs? A-pillars and/or halo?

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
The 997's have an X behind you in the main hoop and an X from the top of the main hoop to the rear strut towers.

He just called me about modifying the top near the location of the main hoop, so the A pillar bars will move over a little bit allowing more room. I told him we had to remove the factory latches and trim them for our main hoop. They still work fine, but need to be trimmed down a little bit.

He had the scab plates welded in before noon. We also discussed moving the fuse panel forward of the A pillar bar. I also warned him of the top latch for the windshield hoop.

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 23 2006, 02:25 PM) *

The 997's have an X behind you in the main hoop and an X from the top of the main hoop to the rear strut towers.

He just called me about modifying the top near the location of the main hoop, so the A pillar bars will move over a little bit allowing more room. I told him we had to remove the factory latches and trim them for our main hoop. They still work fine, but need to be trimmed down a little bit.

He had the scab plates welded in before noon. We also discussed moving the fuse panel forward of the A pillar bar. I also warned him of the top latch for the windshield hoop.

B

I'm dropping him off my eyebolt backing plates for the Schroth belts. Tony is going to make sure the inboard eyebolts are mounted correctly for me. No drama for me when I assemble the car at the end of the week.

I'll shoot some pics tomorrow morning of the progress.

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
The biggest issue is: making sure the seats dont interfere with the eyebolts in the forward or "back" positions.

Have him do the nut plates for the sub belts also!!!!

B
McMark
QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 23 2006, 08:59 AM) *

After driving that car I found myself looking for Boxsters on Craigslist last night.

agree.gif I did the same thing. There's a really nice low mileage one on the Redding craigslist. 34k miles.
Brad Roberts
Wait another month or two. They will go down even more over winter.

B
DanT
So did Tony get the cage done? If so, we need some more pics biggrin.gif

Bill, you should get Mark (sportech) to slap on that muffler while the car is there getting the alignment and windshield done on Friday.... burnout.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 24 2006, 04:53 PM) *

So did Tony get the cage done? If so, we need some more pics biggrin.gif

Bill, you should get Mark (sportech) to slap on that muffler while the car is there getting the alignment and windshield done on Friday.... burnout.gif

Hi Dan,

The scab plates are welded in and the main hoop is finished. Tony is smokin on this one!

Yeah...I was thinking of having the muffler put on the car while it is over there. I don't know if they will have time but I can find out. I want to dyno the car after the muffler swap, but I won't have time until Friday, November 10th at the earliest, so I don't know if Sportech would want to have the muffler gone that long. I need to look at the dyno runs to see what it gives me.

Bill P.
DanT
I don't think Mark is going to have a time limit set. And since you are a good friend of mine he knows you are good for it...or he'll get me the next time I am at the shop. alfred.gif

I meant to ask you on Saturday. Did you desnork the air box? That is good for some sound and maybe a HP or two....at least it sounds better. biggrin.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 24 2006, 05:07 PM) *

I don't think Mark is going to have a time limit set. And since you are a good friend of mine he knows you are good for it...or he'll get me the next time I am at the shop. alfred.gif

I meant to ask you on Saturday. Did you desnork the air box? That is good for some sound and maybe a HP or two....at least it sounds better. biggrin.gif

My plan is to run the muffler on a dyno pull, then de-snork the intake and run another pull. Theoretically we should see a slight gain on each mod due to air intake and exhaust volume going up. This will give Mark data for his modification.

I'll give Mark a call tomorrow. It will be on the alignment rack for several hours on Friday, so they may be able to get to it.

Bill P.
DanT
That sounds great....by the way that muffler is the one that came off of my car several years ago when I put on the SS Dansk sport muffler. smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Bill,

Dont forget to have them torque the rear axle nuts for you.

I have been inside of the 2.5+2.7 mufflers. We spent a lot of time in them while I was at SSI barf.gif I know how they are baffled.

I'll stick with the $150 Flowmaster that Chris Murry runs biggrin.gif

FYI: Tony was doing 914 cages in 8 hours back when he was younger and before he had a pneumatic tube bender..LOL

B
DanT
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 24 2006, 06:28 PM) *

Bill,

Dont forget to have them torque the rear axle nuts for you.

I have been inside of the 2.5+2.7 mufflers. We spent a lot of time in them while I was at SSI barf.gif I know how they are baffled.

I'll stick with the $150 Flowmaster that Chris Murry runs biggrin.gif

FYI: Tony was doing 914 cages in 8 hours back when he was younger and before he had a pneumatic tube bender..LOL

B

The one Bill is getting is completely gutted. No baffling of any sort. Only two short stub pipes at the exit....kind of like a 911 sport muffler, but the exhaust exit is in the stock location. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Bill, I'm curious about a few things on this car. What camber settings are you going with? I remember with my stock Boxster the max I was able to get -0.6. I'm sure you'll be able to grab more than you need with this setup. What size wheels and tires (DOT R's?)? Any idea on how much will the car weigh with cage? Looking forward to seeing this car at Alameda. Its certainly going to be one of the lightest Boxsters we have seen at a local AX event.

nine14cats
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 25 2006, 05:32 AM) *

Bill, I'm curious about a few things on this car. What camber settings are you going with? I remember with my stock Boxster the max I was able to get -0.6. I'm sure you'll be able to grab more than you need with this setup. What size wheels and tires (DOT R's?)? Any idea on how much will the car weigh with cage? Looking forward to seeing this car at Alameda. Its certainly going to be one of the lightest Boxsters we have seen at a local AX event.

Hi Grant,

Initially, we are going with -3.0 deg in front and -3.25 deg in rear for camber. Spec Boxster mandates that the wheels be of stock width, 17x7 front, 17x8.5 rear. Tires for Spec Boxster are 225/45/17 fronts and 255/40/17's rear. Since I won't be running with POC for all but a few events, I'll be primarily running 245/45/17's front and 275/40/17's rear. This will be the sizing at the track. For AX, we may run a 245/255 combo to make it easier to rotate the rear. I'd also like to try the 255's up front to see how that works.

Inititally, we have the Spec Boxster classed tires (Kumho Victoracers). The last long but aren't the stickiest. We will use these to play with the suspension settings. After finding out what works, we will switch to Kumho V710's for AX and Hoosier R6's for the track, unless Hoosier comes out with a tire compound for AX that can compete with the Kumho's.

As far as weight, it is relative in some sense. Spec Boxster rules say the car has to be at least 2700lbs with driver. We pulled ALOT of weight out of it. I haven't weighed everything yet, but it's a good amount. We are putting weight back in with the cage, and Tony will tell me how much it weighs when all is said and done.

We will be lighter, stiffer, and have the trickest suspension of any Boxster out there at this point in time at an AX. Same for PCA TT events. We won't approach the performance and mods of Chris Murray's car, but this is a Spec Boxster car, not a GT3 race car.

At the AX it will be busy. Both Randal and I will be playing with shock and AR settings. I've made up a matrix to go by for adjustments. We start and keep going. In the morning, and possible all day, we will be slow. But by our last run we will see if we can lay down a decent time.

Thanks,

Bill P.
nine14cats
I just talked to Tony at TC Design. The cage installation will be finished in the Boxster between 3pm and 5pm today!.... clap56.gif

Bill P.
grantsfo
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 25 2006, 08:20 AM) *

I just talked to Tony at TC Design. The cage installation will be finished in the Boxster between 3pm and 5pm today!.... clap56.gif

Bill P.

His shop is just down the street from work I'm tempted to drive by to see his work.

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 25 2006, 08:13 AM) *

In the morning, and possible all day, we will be slow. But by our last run we will see if we can lay down a decent time.

If by slow you mean you wont get TTOD the first few runs I would agree. Stock Boxsters with street tires are capable of putting down some smacking times. This car even while being sorted should go fast.
Trekkor
we will be slow.

Yeah riiiiiiiiight. dry.gif

laugh.gif

I'm going to do my best to get ya this time.

KT
Brad Roberts
It will weigh 2650 in its current config with cage and half a tank of gas. The only difference currently between this car and the one I run is the fiberglass GT3 nose and the third radiator, BUT he still has his AC/Heat box in the car and functional. I'm betting this weight is a wash and the car will weigh 2650 +/- 30lbs. I weigh 200lbs and checked in on the POC scales at 2850 with me in the car on Hoosiers.

Wish I could be there this weekend. Feels weird putting something together and not "sorting it"

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 25 2006, 09:56 AM) *

It will weigh 2650 in its current config with cage and half a tank of gas. The only difference currently between this car and the one I run is the fiberglass GT3 nose and the third radiator, BUT he still has his AC/Heat box in the car and functional. I'm betting this weight is a wash and the car will weigh 2650 +/- 30lbs. I weigh 200lbs and checked in on the POC scales at 2850 with me in the car on Hoosiers.

Wish I could be there this weekend. Feels weird putting something together and not "sorting it"

B

Given my work travel schedule I won't have the 3rd radiator and the GT3 nose installed until AFTER the Infineon test day. I can't make it happen before then.

I'll just take it easy and get a feel for the car....I should have it all together in battle trim by the December 10th THill date....

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
What day is the autoX?

Trying to figure out how to make it up there.

I know I'll be up for Jenny's wedding in a few weeks.

B
Trekkor
What day is the autoX?

This Saturday.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.