Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Official Spec Boxster Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Brad Roberts
I guess nobody recalls the fact that "ZUCS" was sent out of business several years back by Excellence magazine when they did dyno testing on their NEW and IMPROVED intakes for the Boxsters and 996's (and found ZERO gain) ZUCS emerged a year or so later as "EVO".. owned by ... Todd Zuccione...

To this day.. people still think they can out engineer Porsche. All we do is move the power around the RPM range (as Bill found) I beleive a long track muffler and a short track muffler would be the hot ticket. The go kart guy's take 8-10 pipes with them to tracks for tuning.

I just dont beleive that Porsche leaves "50hp" on the table for ANY of their cars. No matter how much we play around.. it is still "air in and air out". Unless an increase in displacement is performed or a cam change.. I personally beleive you are playing with maybe 10hp, and half of that is probably to do different atmospheric pressures/humidity/temperature during the pulls.

B
nebreitling
agree.gif i agree with the asshole.

(except there's no real need for more than 2 or 3 pipes these days)
grantsfo
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 13 2006, 04:51 PM) *

I guess nobody recalls the fact that "ZUCS" was sent out of business several years back by Excellence magazine when they did dyno testing on their NEW and IMPROVED intakes for the Boxsters and 996's (and found ZERO gain) ZUCS emerged a year or so later as "EVO".. owned by ... Todd Zuccione...

To this day.. people still think they can out engineer Porsche. All we do is move the power around the RPM range (as Bill found) I beleive a long track muffler and a short track muffler would be the hot ticket. The go kart guy's take 8-10 pipes with them to tracks for tuning.

I just dont beleive that Porsche leaves "50hp" on the table for ANY of their cars. No matter how much we play around.. it is still "air in and air out". Unless an increase in displacement is performed or a cam change.. I personally beleive you are playing with maybe 10hp, and half of that is probably to do different atmospheric pressures/humidity/temperature during the pulls.

B

I dont know the Boxster 2.7 is making 30 hp more than it did when I bought mine. Porsche found 30 HP on their original design. I just dont think enough people have looked at the 2.5 to exploit signficant HP. Certainly it will take more than de-snork and freeflow exhaust however.
Brad Roberts
Boxster 2.7 is making 30 hp more than it did when I bought mine. Porsche found 30 HP on their original design.

Different heads completely and VarioCam+. I have several engines apart right now learning them smile.gif

Picture time!

grantsfo
I'm curious where does this car end up on GGR point scale for AX and TT? I dont think two cars could be closer in terms of capability than this Boxster and my 2.4 914-6.

Power to weight is about the same, displacement is close, wheels are similar proportion, modifications are about the same. Sounds like lap times at Infineon are similar. Bet the Boxster isnt as heavily penalized as the 914 however.

nine14cats
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 15 2006, 06:43 AM) *

I'm curious where does this car end up on GGR point scale for AX and TT? I dont think two cars could be closer in terms of capability than this Boxster and my 2.4 914-6.

Power to weight is about the same, displacement is close, wheels are similar proportion, modifications are about the same. Sounds like lap times at Infineon are similar. Bet the Boxster isnt as heavily penalized as the 914 however.

As it sits it is TT8 and AX5. Could be AX6 next year if the Boxster amendments of Bill Dally's goes through. Power to weight suggests TT9 but the mods point it out into TT8. If I add even 1 more point it goes to TT7, so the next mods need to be HP.

Grant, where do you land in the points scale?

Bill P.
Trekkor
As it sits it is TT8 and AX5

Me, too!! boldblue.gif

I mean...me, too dry.gif

This shows the points system is wrong on every level.
No matter...

KT
Brad Roberts
I can see the Boxster now with Cherry bombs hanging out the back..LOL

I beleive the cars would be VERY equal in their current config. The Boxster doesnt spin 7k RPM and the gearing basically SUCKS.

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 15 2006, 09:39 AM) *

I beleive the cars would be VERY equal in their current config. The Boxster doesnt spin 7k RPM and the gearing basically SUCKS.

B

Yeah...the gearing does suck...bad. It's basically a 2 speed box and with such a broad torque band in the motor it's a shame.

B,

When will you be able to disect a 5 speed box and see if flipping gears is an option?

Thanks,

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
I'm trying to get a spare tranny right now. One of the guy's on the Boxster Racing board has one for me in LA. I have one at Jason's house in SJ, but I havent been up with the truck to pick it up.

I should call Gamroth and ask him if he has done it yet.

I only use 2-3-4 (mostly 3-4)

It forces you to "think" about the gear selection.

B
grantsfo
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Nov 15 2006, 07:40 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 15 2006, 06:43 AM) *

As it sits it is TT8 and AX5. Could be AX6 next year if the Boxster amendments of Bill Dally's goes through. Power to weight suggests TT9 but the mods point it out into TT8. If I add even 1 more point it goes to TT7, so the next mods need to be HP.

Grant, where do you land in the points scale?

Bill P.

With DOT R tires I'm in TT5 and AX3. Heavy penalities for being a 914 and for engine conversion/displacement increase. I kind of like the current points system as it has driven me to build a car that will be more of an AX TTOD contender. I havent calculated points for my planned engine rebuild.
nine14cats
Since I wish I could have close ratio gearbox for Christmas....here is the Spec Boxster's gear ratio chart....pretty spread out.

Bill P.

Brad Roberts
Yep. The factory manuel shows the same graph.

The 2.7 box isnt much better.

B
nine14cats
I talked with Paul Guard and Vision Motorsports (Kokeln) this morning. Gear sets are in the works but no timing. "Maybe" next year.

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Yep. I knew that too..LOL Paul is getting tired of me calling. I could have had Jap gears by now.

The people to contact are the Audi people.. Audi box.. maybe locate another Audi box that has better gearing.

Stay away from the six speed.. it is HEAVY/TANK.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.