Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration of a near concours 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
1970 Neun vierzehn
Interior going back in.
FYI, the black finish beneath and behind the seats duplicated the original factory finish in that area.
1970 Neun vierzehn
..and seats....
Van914
Looks great! Where in Cincinnati are you located?
Van914@aol.com
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Van914 @ Oct 22 2007, 05:13 AM) *

Where in Cincinnati are you located?

Loveland.
Apparantly there are several members on this Forum who are in the Cincinnati area, but I've yet to meet or talk with anyone as of yet.
What part of the greater Cincinnati area do you hail from?

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
More re-assembly......
McMark
Looking GREAT! smilie_pokal.gif
SteveL
Someday I hope to be able to do a project like this.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Is the paint base/clear or single stage?
jonferns
any further progress?
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jan 10 2008, 03:54 PM) *

any further progress?

Yes, yes, there has been progress. Thanks for asking. Door panels are still out and Camp914 is redoing the dash top. A few more odds and ends need to be tracked down for the interior and engine compartment, but I see the cars' salvation is about to be realized.

Paul
jonferns
How come you have euro rear lenses?
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jan 24 2008, 09:59 AM) *

1) I like the look of the amber/red/clear lenses (looks European, don't you think?) idea.gif

2) I consider having the amber t/s to be safer in that a driver behind me is less likely to mistake a blinking amber for an intermittant (red) brake application.

3)In 1970, US regs were so backward that the European standards, for the most part, provided for superior performance in tire, brake and lighting areas. Not apparent in these photos is the substitution of Cibies for the US spec sealed beam H/Ls, thus another European upgrade.

4)The Euro lenses annoy Pat Garvey happy11.gif

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 24 2008, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jan 24 2008, 09:59 AM) *

1) I like the look of the amber/red/clear lenses (looks European, don't you think?) idea.gif

2) I consider having the amber t/s to be safer in that a driver behind me is less likely to mistake a blinking amber for an intermittant (red) brake application.

3)In 1970, US regs were so backward that the European standards, for the most part, provided for superior performance in tire, brake and lighting areas. Not apparent in these photos is the substitution of Cibies for the US spec sealed beam H/Ls, thus another European upgrade.

Paul

Not nearly as much as that damned Euro delivery plate on the front bumper. Jeez.....why? You paid Stoddard to put that thing in the picture, because you know how much I hate it, didn't you?! C'mon, fess up!
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 24 2008, 01:19 PM) *

Paul

av-943.gif
TJB/914
1970 Neun vierzehn (Paul)

I was in the Cleveland Ohio area the last few days on business. I stopped at Stoddard's for a few misc. 914 items & got invited to the body shop. Your 914 is beautiful and it's going to be a CV delight. The guy working on it was very proud of his work and spent a long time showing me his workmanship. He was fitting the rocker's and alignment was perfect. He was delighted to show me the white rivets and other NOS stuff added to your car. A few other workers came over & gave your car the thumb's up. The shop had other Porsches there including early 911's and a 356 under restoration. Your Canary Yellow is a beauty & had the top spot in the shop. pray.gif

Tom
BTW: Stoddard's had the new Audi S-5 cpe in the showroom and this is the car I am getting for the wife. As soon as they offer the auto trans next spring we will probably get one. I lust after that car.
Van914
Paul,
I live just north of you in Landen. I would like to see your car when it is done.
Van914
1970 Neun vierzehn
Tom,
Thank you for the kind words. Considering the source, your assessment is indeed "high praise". beerchug.gif

Van914,
I would like to see it as well laugh.gif . On a serious note, I'd would like to gather a flock of 914s and their owners somewhere in the greater Cincinnati area when the weather moderates. I'm jealous of hearing all about the Left Coasters and their 914 get-to-gethers. A drive along the river perhaps, with a casual meal at moderate restaurant, a low key swap-n-sell of Porsche minutia, something to enjoin the 914 faithful to meet one another and further the camaraderie.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 21 2008, 10:59 PM) *

Tom,
Thank you for the kind words. Considering the source, your assessment is indeed "high praise". beerchug.gif

Van914,
I would like to see it as well laugh.gif . On a serious note, I'd would like to gather a flock of 914s and their owners somewhere in the greater Cincinnati area when the weather moderates. I'm jealous of hearing all about the Left Coasters and their 914 get-to-gethers. A drive along the river perhaps, with a casual meal at moderate restaurant, a low key swap-n-sell of Porsche minutia, something to enjoin the 914 faithful to meet one another and further the camaraderie.

Paul

You should know that the "right" coasters are doing a thing in September. What happened to the mid-states event from coupla years ago?
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
Finishing up with the front end.......
John
I love your car. It is progressing really nicely and looks amazing.

I apologize if these have been asked before (I haven't read every post in the thread as I was too busy looking at the pictures), but I have to ask a few questions:

My car had some areas painted black (parts of the center tunnel and the crossmembers where the vinyl was glued down) the rest of it was body color. Why did you paint the entire area under the seats black? Was yours that way originally?

Why the black wheel wells? I remember that they were mostly body color and some were undercoated once they hit the USA dealers.

Since you did black wheel wells, why not black in the horn/foglight areas as well?

I don't claim to be any expert by any stretch, I just recall what I recall.

P.S. I really do like your car.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(John @ Feb 27 2008, 05:44 PM) *

My car had some areas painted black (parts of the center tunnel and the crossmembers where the vinyl was glued down) the rest of it was body color. Why did you paint the entire area under the seats black? Was yours that way originally?

Why the black wheel wells? I remember that they were mostly body color and some were undercoated once they hit the USA dealers.

Since you did black wheel wells, why not black in the horn/foglight areas as well?

I don't claim to be any expert by any stretch, I just recall what I recall.

P.S. I really do like your car.

John,
Thanks for the "kudos". At the end of this post I'll atttach a photo or two of the initial dis-assembly done back in November 2006. You'll see, now that you will be looking for it, that the area behind/below the seats was originally black.
As to the black wheel wells, that's to match the black bottom of the floor pan. laugh.gif The car was delivered to the previous (original) owner with the black "undercoating/soundproofing/rust-inhibitor" applied. I don't know if that application was done at the dealer, distributor, or port level. I've noticed numerous original and restored 914s with beautifully finished undersides and wheel wheel housings with their body paint textured to provide some semblence of rock and debris resistance. I opted to retain the black finish for a number of reasons. First, on a yellow car (or any light color for that matter), the inevitable stains and chipping that will result from use will be more apparent and in evidence than with a car with deeper paint hues. Which brings up the second reason, the black resilient material will be easier to "maintain" than nice yellow paint in the wheel wells and underside pan. Lastly, that is how the car was originally delivered. If this car were Irish Green or Adriatic Blue, I may have thought about body colored undersides.
The body surface beneath the front bumper was visible yellow paint as-delivered, so I once again had them finish that area the way the car was original;y configured.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
Outer rocker panels refinished and fitted.......
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 1 2008, 02:26 PM) *

Have any pics of that finished rear valence?
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 1 2008, 06:56 PM) *

Have any pics of that finished rear valence?
Pat

Funny you should ask.
From this .....................

....to this.......
dw914er
nice job!

the car looks amazing in these photos
Twise
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 1 2008, 12:26 PM) *

Hey Paul - Those look great. I am stoked that they went to someone who is really going to appreciate them. Tell Mike I said hi, and to keep in touch. Him calling me for those rockers was the first time I have heard from him in like 10 years. We are planning on coming back there next year for a family re-union. I will look you up. You do the same if you make it to Cali... My father gives you two thumbs up on the retoration...
1970 Neun vierzehn
Now, finally, after having stared at a cracked dash top for the past 33 years, thanks to CAMP 914, it looks bee-yoot-e-full! A big helping of thanks on Craig's plate for his dash top renewal. clap56.gif

(For the eagle-eyed, pay attention to the radio panel)

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
more dash renovation.....
1970 Neun vierzehn
and more
Ferg
Looking Good w00t.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 20 2008, 09:47 AM) *

and more

I have to say that dash top is extremely nice! In fact, it's gorgeous!

But, what's the deal with the basket vs square weave on the dash face?
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 20 2008, 06:09 PM) *

Pat

Yes, I noticed the disparity between the radio trim fascia and the rest of the dash facing immediately after I received the photos. As Pat knows, I've never touched the OEM radio, and I have the original Motorola owners' manual and the original dealer installation instructions as well. What you see is what the car was delivered with in April 1970. When I called Stoddard about the obvious difference in material, which neither I or anyone else had ever noticed before, the explanation I received was a revelation to me. idea.gif

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 20 2008, 09:14 PM) *

Pat

Yes, I noticed the disparity between the radio trim fascia and the rest of the dash facing immediately after I received the photos. As Pat knows, I've never touched the OEM radio, and I have the original Motorola owners' manual and the original dealer installation instructions as well. What you see is what the car was delivered with in April 1970. When I called Stoddard about the obvious difference in material, which neither I or anyone else had ever noticed before, the explanation I received was a revelation to me. idea.gif

Paul

Umm, could you share the revelation?

BTW, Paul is my best friend - we've been "attached at the hip" for 35 years. Paul was always a tightass when spending money. He has really surprised me with this restoration!

I applaud him!!!!!! His 914 means so much to him that he made this comittment.

You have upstaged me, my friend! I like that! I sincerely look forward to you whipping my ass at any concours.

You may very well be the ultimate 914/4 pursist.
Pat

1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 20 2008, 07:14 PM) *

Pat

Paul

When I called Stoddard about the above noted dash facing (keeping in mind this is all original as-delivered) they told me that the face plate surround for the radio was a "hard plastic" material that was similar, but not identical, to the pliable vinyl that is on the rest of the dash front. Before they refitted the radio, they cleaned the assembly, and now that it's installed back in the dash, it noticably doesn't match the rest of the material. For 30+ years, I'd just wipe those surfaces with a clean, soft, damp rag or towel and I'm guessing that for all those years the minute dirt and dust just accumulated in the recesses of the basketweave material, dulling it, and masking the fact that the radio faceplate was made of a different material. Goes to show how much attention I had paid to that area. dry.gif

Paul
championgt1
Damn, everything is looking very very nice. popcorn[1].gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
In the beginning there was rust.....

...and now.....
jonferns
Wow, that looks amazing wub.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Now, just 535 days later, we're here, about 98% finished......

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 6 2008, 10:02 PM) *

Now, just 535 days later, we're here, about 98% finished......

Paul

I have to make some comments about this restoration, since it is just about complete.

I've known this guy for 35 years - since he first showed for a wine tasting at a local PCA event with this car.

Through the years we've been friends, he has been totally committed to THIS 914. Yeah, during the late 70's, some of us pseudo purists did some goofy things with our 914's (that includes me) - not Paul. He has reamained steadfast to originality since the beginning. His 914 always looked great, though with a dirty engine. That's why I was shocked when Stoddard started tearing into it. Boy, was it hiding serious problems! Even Paul wasn't ready for what he saw.

But, he has been steadfast. The 914 that he & his family have loved for many years was going to be put back to it's original glory. It's almost there.

Did he spend a bunch of money? Yeppir! Only he knows how much, but I'll bet it's less than a new high-end Accord.

Could he have bailed & gone out & made a bogus six? Yeppir!

Could he have bought a six & done the same thing, plus an additional huge amount of $$? Yeppir!

Didn't matter. Never a concern. No question. This was the 914 he could barely afford when he bought it. Lived with it & loved it for 33 years before decision time. His daughter rode on the center seat when she was six. Autocrossed it for many years, tried concours (wouldn't want to compete against him now!), rallied, etc - all the PCA events, including Parades. Drove the car everywhere during proper midwest weather.

He knows how to turn a wrench, but doesn't have time for a do-it-yoursef restoration - goofy work hours. So, he saved his money. And, very soon, he'll have his "baby" back. Will he drive it? Will it become a garage queen? Doubt it. This 914 has always been his summer savior. Oh, he'll pamper it more than ever, but I'll bet it gets driven as soon as it comes back.

Will he ever sell it? Forget that! His committment is too strong (stronger than mine).

So, now it is waiting for door panels for the car to be complete. Could have had it weeks ago, but wants it ready to enjoy.

It isn't just because he's my best friend, but because he encompasses the the original 914 think, that I say - excellent job! Unbelievable committment to originality! You are the benchmark for the early years. Oh, and thank you!
Pat

championgt1
Paul,

Your car is truly amazing. It is just stunning. Congrats on the near completion of a very beatiful car.

bye1.gif

Jack
francar
Great work
1970 Neun vierzehn
Off the jackstands for the last time (at least until I get it home). Might even be finished next week! hands.gif
slow914
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 24 2008, 10:57 PM) *

Off the jackstands for the last time (at least until I get it home). Might even be finished next week! hands.gif

jesus that is good stuff, now crank down the front a little shades.gif
championgt1
pray.gif pray.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 24 2008, 11:57 PM) *

Nice 914!

Money well spent, though you have to be a little upside down. Doesn't matter, you're an afficionado.

Now, as to that stupid thing on the front bumper, which came from what?, a VW. Please lose it.

You have what is probably the finest restored 914 in the country. Why would you want that dumb thing on the front. Why not a WallMart bumper sticker? Or a Home Depot parking pass? At least you may have earned them?

Sorry, I'm an asshole!
Pat
orthobiz
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 5 2008, 11:33 PM) *

Or a Home Depot parking pass? At least you may have earned them?

Sorry, I'm an asshole!
Pat

Ooh, ooh, you mean a red "That Was Easy" button from Staples. Would provide audio help for parking, too!

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 5 2008, 07:33 PM) *

Why not a WallMart bumper sticker?
Pat

Bumper sticker, you say? Maybe I'll slap one on that is "period correct".
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 15 2008, 01:37 AM) *

Bumper sticker, you say? Maybe I'll slap one on that is "period correct".

av-943.gif very period correct.

"We see the light, of 7up"
How the hell did I get so old huh.gif ?
Pat Garvey
Well, let's see.....it's been about another 3 months with no update! Have you gotten the finished product back yet. Been what, almost 2 years?

How about updating us?
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
You would not believe the incredible obstacle that has been encountered, that while seemingly overcome back in March of this year, has been a growing, ongoing source of frustration since July. Involving, as it does, recognizable entities to those who frequent this Forum, I'm not passing judgement on anyone just yet. Let it be noted, however, that Stoddard has not let me down.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 10 2008, 07:06 PM) *

You would not believe the incredible obstacle that has been encountered, that while seemingly overcome back in March of this year, has been a growing, ongoing source of frustration since July. Involving, as it does, recognizable entities to those who frequent this Forum, I'm not passing judgement on anyone just yet. Let it be noted, however, that Stoddard has not let me down.

Paul

Hmm? Let me think about this.....you're trying to get a perfect dashtop? Or, is it perfect door panels? Or perfect whatever. Don't blame you for wanting perfection, yet frustrated by those who can't provide it.

Have a spare early rain tray? av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.