Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration of a near concours 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 10 2008, 05:44 PM) *

Have a spare early rain tray? av-943.gif

I know, that you know, that I need one of those as well.

I knew going in this wasn't gonna be easy. headbang.gif The time and money outlay didn't surprise me. What is most annoying are the expectations of "perfect", "matching", "like original", "as new" not being fulfilled.

I've missed the Ault Park Concours, the PCA Parade, P2O, and certainly the upcoming VW/Porsche Family Reunion. sad.gif I know that there's always "next year", but I was hoping to get some drive time out of it before the weather closes in on us by late November.

Paul
TJB/914
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 10 2008, 06:18 PM) *

I knew going in this wasn't gonna be easy. headbang.gif The time and money outlay didn't surprise me. What is most annoying are the expectations of "perfect", "matching", "like original", "as new" not being fulfilled.

I've missed the Ault Park Concours, the PCA Parade, P2O, and certainly the upcoming VW/Porsche Family Reunion. sad.gif I know that there's always "next year", but I was hoping to get some drive time out of it before the weather closes in on us by late November.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I understand your frustration in completing your restoration. I know it's probably finding parts to meet your expectations. If Stoddard's can't find it I don't know who can. I am finding a similiar problem finding a few wear parts to complete my little project. When I restored my 914 (10) plus years ago I was able to purchase every new part I wanted or was able to find mint parts to my satisifaction. That's a problem today, new or replacement parts have dried up and it's a challenge to restore a 914 today to the highest standards. We are becoming the 356 crowd and 914 prices will continue to cost more (if you can find them). The majority of 914 out there needs everything and the future parts situation is not good. I am begaining to realize our George Hussey @ AA will be my future best 914 friend because the Porsche factory does not have replacement parts.

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Sep 11 2008, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 10 2008, 06:18 PM) *

Paul

Hi Paul,

I understand your frustration in completing your restoration. I know it's probably finding parts to meet your expectations. If Stoddard's can't find it I don't know who can. I am finding a similiar problem finding a few wear parts to complete my little project. When I restored my 914 (10) plus years ago I was able to purchase every new part I wanted or was able to find mint parts to my satisifaction. That's a problem today, new or replacement parts have dried up and it's a challenge to restore a 914 today to the highest standards. We are becoming the 356 crowd and 914 prices will continue to cost more (if you can find them). The majority of 914 out there needs everything and the future parts situation is not good. I am begaining to realize our George Hussey @ AA will be my future best 914 friend because the Porsche factory does not have replacement parts.

Tom

Hmmmm. If this is true, it doesn't bode well for we originalists (no slam against George meant).
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Sep 11 2008, 06:26 AM) *

I know it's probably finding parts to meet your expectations. If Stoddard's can't find it I don't know who can.

Tom

Virtually all exterior trim bits and pieces did not need replacement. Stoddard sourced the easy bits and Charlie @ Auto Atlanta helped me get some of the tougher items. Metal was sourced from Restoration Design, Auto Atlanta or fabricated as needed at Stoddards'. Brake calipers were redone by Eric and pronounced "gorgeous" by the folks at Stoddards'. Tangerine Racing s/s lines went in, I found a set of 1.7 s/s heat exchangers and some other parts here in the classified Forum. Lots of help, a bunch of sources, and some unflagging support from both Forum members and my dear, unflinching, long-suffering wife have gotten this project finished. Then, a vital, key component failed to deliver on its (assumed) promise of perfection. So now, a whole lot of water is being treaded with the hope that this final impasse can be worked through.
Tom, thanks for the kind words. That's exactly the kind of support that we all need when a monumental undertaking is begun. I'd also thank Garvey, but the praise would go to his head and then we'd all have to look at that gawdawful avatar of his. barf.gif biggrin.gif
Paul
orthobiz
You can source parts with confidence from Brad Mayeur. If it's not to your satisfaction, he'll take it back.

Paul
Lavanaut
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 10 2008, 07:18 PM) *

What is most annoying are the expectations of "perfect", "matching", "like original", "as new" not being fulfilled.

Paul this has been a continued point of frustration for me as well. I know that a lot of others on this board feel the same. It's unfortunate that not everyone within this little "community" can be taken at their word. I mean if not here, where? sad.gif

Good luck getting this last hurdle cleared, we're certainly watching with interest!

Reid
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 24 2008, 09:57 PM) *

Off the jackstands for the last time (at least until I get it home). Might even be finished next week! hands.gif

Hah...almost months later, the interior finally coming together.....
1970 Neun vierzehn
.....and from the other side......
1970 Neun vierzehn
the interior bits were the toughest......
1970 Neun vierzehn
the last of the carpet and some trim pieces are safely tucked away in my basement
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 13 2008, 10:38 PM) *

.....and from the other side......

Damned nice, ecxept for the steering wheel.

Let me get this straight....you spent, what - six months on the dash, for it to be perfect. Then you mate it up with a "whatever' steering wheel. Oh, I forgot, it's because you like that wheel. What's that status with the original?

Nice job & you know I'm just busting your chops!

Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
Now, how to bring it home......?
tod914
Unlike Pat, I say keep the steering wheel and loose the car (send it my way).
Really turned out spectactual. Great work! Have it flat bedded home so you don't
get any stone chips on the semi-fresh paint. Then drive and enjoy in the spring.
Lavanaut
Paul, what kind of carpeting did you go with (if you did indeed replace it) and where'd you get it? Were you fully satisfied with the product?

By the way, and I only ask because I'm getting ready to redo mine: isn't there supposed to be some acoustically transparent, black cloth covering the speakers? confused24.gif

Thanks
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Dec 3 2008, 12:45 PM) *

Paul, what kind of carpeting did you go with (if you did indeed replace it) and where'd you get it? Were you fully satisfied with the product?

By the way, and I only ask because I'm getting ready to redo mine: isn't there supposed to be some acoustically transparent, black cloth covering the speakers? confused24.gif

Thanks

The OEM carpet is safely tucked away in my basement, awaiting the car's return.

As for speaker details, the following photo shows the interior prior to the resto. Except for the "period-correct" ( poke.gif /for Pat) steering wheel, all is original as manufactured and delivered.

Paul
Greg808
smilie_pokal.gif

Nice work Paul.
You have done a great thing.
I would love to see it in person.
Do you think there will be another Fall Foliage?
That would be a great place to showcase your new beauty.

Best wishes to you and your wife.

Greg Hurst
mrgreenjeans

What a phenomenal project. I can do nothing but give credit where its due.......Thank You for your diligence to correctness and for the astounding pix of the work in progress.
I would love to see our 74 Sunflower car next to yours in a show........in fact, if you are prone to do a little jaunt up our way in May....the third weekend, you would be a truly stellar superstar in the midst of about 50 Porsches, from Speedster to new Turbo. Only about 5 teeners will be showing, so you have a good chance of being THE MAN.....
Are you inclined to do the Parade in Keystone this year ?
Pam and I will be there !
Unless I change my mind tho, I am planning on bringing the early build 944 and may well compete in Concours with that. My 74 is a more viable contender, but I am planning to drive the 44, and the teener would have to be trailered.

Have a GREAT time with that little gem. What a honey...........
Don
slackin' at work
paul, glad to see the car is all wrapped up.

one question:
Did you have your pedrini's redone? they look brighter in the last pics then the beginning. if you did have them redone, what did you do?

Im (finally) prepping my pedrini's to go on and they need some love.
figured I'd check in with you.

1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(slackin' at work @ Feb 24 2009, 03:28 PM) *

one question:
Did you have your pedrini's redone? they look brighter in the last pics then the beginning. if you did have them redone, what did you do?

Im (finally) prepping my pedrini's to go on and they need some love.
figured I'd check in with you.

I'm sorry, but there was no magic used to make my alloy wheels look better. I talked to them today and they told me that (as I had initially asked) they would not refinish the wheels unless the original finish warranted it. Stoddard said that all they did was use generic, dealer stock, wheel cleaner. Having spent a whole lot of time in the prep and clean-up areas of Honda, Mazda, Alfa, VW, Volvo, Maserati, Audi and Porsche dealerships, I can say that for the most part, the paint, rubber, wax, cleaners and polishes that they use are purchased in bulk quantities, in relatively large dispensers, with generic names that you don't see in auto parts stores or in auto care catalogs. These dealer chemicals typically come in big plastic bottles with labels that read "Wheel Brite", "Bob's Magic", "Gloss Cote", "Wipe 'n Shine", etc. For all I know, this could be be the same stuff that we consummers buy at Auto Zone, or Pep Boys or out of a slick, glossy mailed catalog and pay big dollars for 'cause the product has a hot girl in shorts and a hi-tech or catchy name on the container. The dealer packaging usually consists of a dozen large plastic bottles in a plain cardboard box with the label printed on it reading BUG & TAR REMOVER, or PAINT POLISH, or WHEEL CLEANER. Nothing fancy, but for the most part, these products get the job done to make the car look presentable for 99% of the buyers. I'd suspect that the better shops know which products are best for a particular application.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
This is probably going to be one of the last entries that I'll post to this particular thread concerning the resto on my 914. After I have the car home in my garage, and have collected my thoughts about the ups and downs, frustration and excitement, disappointment and anticipation, and the predominate feeling of enjoyment that I experienced working with the professionals at Stoddard Porsche, I'll share my observations with those who'd care to read them.

These are the last photos of my car that Stoddard took this A.M. Anticipating arrival Saturday morning.
tod914
Stunning car. Congrads, now you can enjoy it smile.gif Just wear a bib so you don't get drool over it.
Pat Garvey
Paul's 914 should arrive sometime on April19th. I only wish that I could be there for the unloading (600 miles, you know).

I'll try to get my best buddy to share the feeling, but I know he is a private person, as well as a severe sentimentalist.

With the knocks that this thread has brought, he owes us - right?
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.