Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration of a near concours 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Pat Garvey
We expected regular updates on this project - what gives? It should be close to completion & we haven't had an update in 30 days.
1970 Neun vierzehn
OK, here's some...
1970 Neun vierzehn
Other side.....
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 10 2007, 06:40 PM) *

It should be close to completion

I keep adding to the scope of work and keep subtracting from the bank account happy11.gif

As we speak, part of the car has been metal prepped and is in primer.

One of the last pics before primer. BTW, the f & r trunks are going to be "spot" painted.
Pat Garvey
Anyone who's been through something like this has to have some empathy for Paul (mine wasn't nearly so severe, but I went to take daily pictures). After you've owned a car this long, it's like having a family member restored (or something like that).

Lots of you may say he spent too much, but not me. Look at the quality of the work! Look at the care!

Beside, look at the price of a new comparable car. And, a new anything will never have future collectability.

Well done Paul - shows extreme love of the car! Can't wait to see it finished.
Pat
xsurfer
I'll watch this every day! Your the best learning curve I can get. I have a 914 that is waiting for the money. Learning from this will save me a long hard learning curve and bucks!

Thanks
Porsche Rescue
The subject car was beautiful on the outside before the work started. It may well have passed inspection as a near rust free 914. This is the best proof yet that there is no such thing!
914runnow
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Apr 11 2007, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 10 2007, 06:40 PM) *

It should be close to completion

I keep adding to the scope of work and keep subtracting from the bank account happy11.gif

As we speak, part of the car has been metal prepped and is in primer.

One of the last pics before primer. BTW, the f & r trunks are going to be "spot" painted.

Welllllllll come on down to Colorado for the 2009 Parade..
Enter your car..You SHOULD walk away with a ribbon..
Even though it is far off..Us 'Teener Folks' up here will show all you other 'Teener Cousins' a good time..!!
1970 Neun vierzehn

Even though it is far off..Us 'Teener Folks' up here will show all you other 'Teener Cousins' a good time..!!

That might be a distinct possibility. We're even thinking about the Charlotte Parade next year. BTW, we've had this car to the the Aspen Parade back in '78.......
McMark
This is a great thread (minus the bitching wink.gif ). It almost inspires me to build my Aubergine as a concours restoration. But then again, I want 5 lug and a 2270, so that's out.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 25 2007, 01:31 PM) *

This is a great thread (minus the bitching wink.gif ). It almost inspires me to build my Aubergine as a concours restoration. But then again, I want 5 lug and a 2270, so that's out.

Bitching? We don need no stinkin bitchin!

We are mere creative geniouses, with an opinion. Beside, "bitching" is a distinctly verbotten term amongst mixed sex 914 purists.

We ARE mixed sex, aren't we?

Wht 5 lug & mego motor on somehting as rare as Augergine?
McMark
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 26 2007, 06:31 PM) *

Wht 5 lug & mego motor on somehting as rare as Augergine?

Who knows. wink.gif Nothing is set in stone until I actually finish it.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Apr 25 2007, 02:43 PM) *

That might be a distinct possibility. We're even thinking about the Charlotte Parade next year. BTW, we've had this car to the the Aspen Parade back in '78.......

Great job on the teener rescue. Have to hand it to you, you are getting it done right, and I do believe I, personally would not have had the stomach for it. Nor the bankroll.

Kudos to a job of love and devotion !!!

Great shots of the Parade pics. Love the quality of cars that come to Parade each year, and since we must miss this years, will look forward to the one in Charlotte. Hope to see you there with the shining BEAUTY !!!!

Carry forth the flame and Best wishes on the ultimate result.

Keep the FAITH !!!

mrgreenjeans
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ May 1 2007, 07:03 PM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Apr 25 2007, 02:43 PM) *

Great job on the teener rescue. Have to hand it to you, you are getting it done right, and I do believe I, personally would not have had the stomach for it. Nor the bankroll.

Kudos to a job of love and devotion !!!

Great shots of the Parade pics. Love the quality of cars that come to Parade each year, and since we must miss this years, will look forward to the one in Charlotte. Hope to see you there with the shining BEAUTY !!!!

Carry forth the flame and Best wishes on the ultimate result.

Keep the FAITH !!!

mrgreenjeans

He'll have his best friend gunning for him in Charlotte! Wish him luck & hope he beats me. Probably will - I'll be driving mine. But I know a little bit about prep - mine will be the one 70% disassembled in a parking lot on Thursday. Oh baby, this will be fun. I actually hope I lose.

Not being pompous. That 3rd win is pretty important to me - but Paul's committment to saving a 914 in a pristine state is more important. Nevertheless, looking forward to the field - we ain't alone out there!
1970 Neun vierzehn
Progressive improvement in the engine compartment...
1970 Neun vierzehn
The other side of the engine bay looks like it may have spent its life in Kalifornia....
1970 Neun vierzehn
No longer will our feet get wet when it rains....
1970 Neun vierzehn
Around the bottom edges.......
watsonrx13
Very nicely done.... smilie_pokal.gif

Can you tell me how you welded in the floor? Did you have the car on jack stands? If so, how high off the ground? Did you spot weld from the bottom? Do you have any 'in progress' shots of the floor install you can post?

When the patch was added to the hell hole area, was it lap or butt-welded in?

Again, thanks for showing us how the restoration of a 914.

-- Rob
1970 Neun vierzehn
Rob,
I cannot take credit for this work as the restoration is taking place 250 miles away. The floor is remarkably solid and intact. The outer edges of the pan where it joins to the longs is where the corrosion was extensive. There also was rust on the leading edge of the pan by the footwells. The work, not surprisingly, has been facilitated by the use of a typical auto shop lift. The nice condition of the pan as seen from the passenger compartment is primarily just cleaning and refinishing. There was some reconstruction around the perimeter of the floor, but the majority of the rust repair was in trailing edge of the longitudinal.
1970 Neun vierzehn
...cleaning the grunge in the front trunk...1st pic shows before, the rest show the progress.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Finishing up in the front trunk.......
1970 Neun vierzehn
.....and the engine compartment.....
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 14 2007, 10:01 AM) *

.....and the engine compartment.....

Lookin gooder all the time!
Don't envy the cleanup - you know, the little crevices where all the crap has collected from the redo. Under the dash, suspension pieces, etc.

Lotsa on-your- back time, but worth it.
Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 14 2007, 11:11 PM) *

Pat

Pat, your worst nightmare must either be a duststorm or a mudbog laugh.gif . You make me want to take the LE completely apart & go over everything w/ Qtips & alcohol biggrin.gif . thumb3d.gif

cool_shades.gif

ps- sorry about the battery thread. no longer belongs here.
Johny Blackstain
Fantastic thread clap56.gif ! popcorn[1].gif . Amazing how much rust these cars can have & still remain structurally sound. Keep it up thumb3d.gif !

cool_shades.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Of course, since we're doing all this, let's turn our attention here.......
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 16 2007, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 14 2007, 11:11 PM) *

Pat

Pat, your worst nightmare must either be a duststorm or a mudbog laugh.gif . You make me want to take the LE completely apart & go over everything w/ Qtips & alcohol biggrin.gif . thumb3d.gif

cool_shades.gif

ps- sorry about the battery thread. no longer belongs here.

JB,

Forget the battery thread - history.

Now, to your other items:
Dust storm - haven't been in one since '69, when I lived in Kansas. Didn't have the 914 yet, but it was messy!

Mudbog - no experience, but I used to love watching the mudbog races on Wide World of Sports - watch out for the "sippy holes"! Actually, it was pretty cool to watch.

I would recommend taking the LE completely apart, cleaning it, once. Wouldn't use too much alcohol, as you might affect your eyesight. Instead - use carb cleaner. Does a much better job & you can get it out of the garage quickly by just flicking your Bic! Of course, a lot of other things "remove" themselves from the garage, but it gives them a chance to "air out" on the lawn. JOKE!

Seriously, if you ever want to do such a thing, PM me for help.

Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
the dark side of the pan made whole again. No longer will I have to wring the mats out when I get caught in the rain blink.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 21 2007, 08:43 PM) *

the dark side of the pan made whole again. No longer will I have to wring the mats out when I get caught in the rain blink.gif

So...Paul - when do you get itback. Been, what, 8-9 months?
Pat
Johny Blackstain
Aside from being very impressed w/ this project I think I'm getting more weird in my old age. Following this thread makes me want to find a teener, any teener & restore it to "steel perfection". Steel perfection would be no paint, undercoating, caulking or mud or anything but clear coat. Immagine- a totaly naked, shiny, rust free 914 w/ no hidden nothing anywhere. Don't get me wrong, I like color, but I'd love to see the "DeLorean 914" biggrin.gif. Steel Perfection.

cool_shades.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
The slow renewal of #4702903114/chassis #0319 595/L11E...
1970 Neun vierzehn
...more.......
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 22 2007, 05:26 AM) *

Aside from being very impressed w/ this project I think I'm getting more weird in my old age. Following this thread makes me want to find a teener, any teener & restore it to "steel perfection". Steel perfection would be no paint, undercoating, caulking or mud or anything but clear coat. Immagine- a totaly naked, shiny, rust free 914 w/ no hidden nothing anywhere. Don't get me wrong, I like color, but I'd love to see the "DeLorean 914" biggrin.gif. Steel Perfection.

cool_shades.gif

Think about this. There was once a time that you could order, from the Factory, a white primered, complete, body. Think this ended in the mid-70's, but not certain.

A brand new, unmolested, unpainted, complete body (sans, of course, engine/trans/electrics). What would you do with one if it were available today.... & I'll bet money that one is out there in Europe.

And...as to the DeLorean 914 - it would be pile of iron oxide in 2 months. Wasn't stainless like the DeLorean. Course, it wasn't ugly, like the Delorean. But it does leak like the DeLorean!
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 19 2007, 08:34 PM) *

...more.......

Paul,

It IS gorgeous. Any idea on when you get it back....and how you'll deall with getting it back to Cincinnati?

Pat
BS Chairman
Paul, WOW!!!! smilie_pokal.gif Can't wait to see it done. Yellow cars are better looking to the world. mueba.gif Just, ask me.
Gary
Ferg
thumb3d.gif It's been a long road, but you have to be cracking a nice grin/smile right about now!

Soon driving.gif

Ferg beerchug.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Here and there around the car, painting as when first built......
TedK
This is a great thread! I was starting to get nervous about the condition of my recently acquired 1970, but if that beautiful yellow car can hide that rust then hopefully mine can be brought back as well. Now to find the good vendors/shops in my area.
orthobiz
QUOTE(TedK @ Aug 6 2007, 02:26 PM) *

This is a great thread! I was starting to get nervous about the condition of my recently acquired 1970, but if that beautiful yellow car can hide that rust then hopefully mine can be brought back as well. Now to find the good vendors/shops in my area.

Since I bought my pristine, wonderful car from TedK, it gives me great pride to be the first to say

welcome.png

Ted is a great photographer. Having bought the car "sight unseen" in the flesh, I felt that maybe I fell in love with the pictures and not the actual car. Luckily, the car I bought from Ted was everything I had hoped. So, looks like he's moved into six cylinder territory.

Best of luck. Start your own thread soon (and check out that "install the windshield" thread in the garage)

(Paul, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Please resume the normally scheduled program...)

Paul
TedK
Thanks Paul, your avatar looks familiar. Unfortunately, I have to remodel my garage before I can start on the 914. That should start soon.

Ted K
Pat Garvey
Paul,

It's been a good while since we had an update from you.

I know how Stoddard loves to take pics "in-progress".

Share some knew ones?
Pat
Pat Garvey
Well......?

We're at, what, 10 months now, eleven maybe?

What's the status?
Pat
Lou W
Your car sure is looking good. Keep the pictures coming. smile.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
The engine ready for installation, including the all important engine tin marks......
1970 Neun vierzehn
11 months ago, the engine compartment looked like this.........
1970 Neun vierzehn
And now, just about ready for the engine re-install.......
1970 Neun vierzehn
....and now, the engine is back where it had been for its first 37 years......
Pat Garvey
VERY nice! Little too much gloss on the intake tubes, and what's that white plug on the air cleaner. You didn't REALLY think I wouldn't nick pick did you?
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
OMG, they painted my car with the pigment that was to be used for the equipment/material lockers...... unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.