Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC 2007, now the WCR 2007
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
RoadGlue
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 21 2007, 01:29 PM) *

How's your Saturday looking? driving.gif I'll even bring my 914. happy11.gif

If the weather cooperates.

Saturday sounds great! Rain or shine works for me. They're saying 20% chance for showers, so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Meet here at my place, do some preliminary planning and then head to RP and run the route(s). Sound good? What time works for you?
BigDBass
What would be the airport of choice to fly to for the event?
RoadGlue
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Feb 21 2007, 01:44 PM) *

What would be the airport of choice to fly to for the event?

San Francisco, Oakland and Sacramento airports are all about 1 - 1.5 hours from Rohnert Park.
ClayPerrine
I am trying to schedule a business trip for either the week before or the week after this. If I can do it, I will be in Chino. Is anyone from there going to this event? I would love to hook up with a 914 for the event, and turn in the rent car at the Ontario Airport.

Toast... do you want a ride along mechanic? biggrin.gif
BigDBass
Hmm, my wife needs to schedule 3 or 4 days in San Francisco for work at her convenience. devil.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 21 2007, 04:06 PM) *

I am trying to schedule a business trip for either the week before or the week after this. If I can do it, I will be in Chino. Is anyone from there going to this event? I would love to hook up with a 914 for the event, and turn in the rent car at the Ontario Airport.

duh... look at a map.

you are between both my residences.....
10 minutes from my apt at school....
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Feb 21 2007, 11:28 PM) *

duh... look at a map.

Yea.. but if I have a choice to ride with your ugly, Napoleon Dynamite on Crack face, or with a beautiful redhead, I am definitely going to choose the beautiful redhead! biggrin.gif

grantsfo
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 20 2007, 10:59 PM) *

Check the first post. Monday is the private West Coast Ramble AX.

Which venue are we planning to use for AX? Shultz Airport in Santa Rosa? I think I can get away for the Monday event. Since I dont have road legal 914 currently can I drive my Miata to other events?

I'm all registered and will send a check! rocking nana.gif
McMark
Yep, Shultz. The event is all about the people. If you can bring a 914, great. But regardless, we're just happy to get together with each other, with or without a 914.
Tobra
Okay, here is a silly question.

I can't devote as much time as this to a second event in a month and a half(Alpine 500 is doing 5th and final run last weekend in April), just can't do it, sort of overcommitted in general. Would it be considered bad form for me to show up Saturday morning, ogle cars in the parking lot and chase after y'all up and down Oakville Grade, or wherever you happen to be driving that day, then drive home?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Tobra @ Feb 23 2007, 09:53 AM) *

Okay, here is a silly question.

I can't devote as much time as this to a second event in a month and a half(Alpine 500 is doing 5th and final run last weekend in April), just can't do it, sort of overcommitted in general. Would it be considered bad form for me to show up Saturday morning, ogle cars in the parking lot and chase after y'all up and down Oakville Grade, or wherever you happen to be driving that day, then drive home?

Sure.. I assume that it will be handled like it was at the MUSR. At the MUSR, we said if you wanted to just come for the drive, then you had to sign the PCA waiver form. If you wanted to participate in any of the events where you could end up with a trophy, then you had to pay the entry fee to the whole event.

If you want to display your car at the car show, you are welcome to, but it won't be judged unless you pay the entry fee. And the reason for that is the entry fees pay for the trophys and the venue, and such.

That's the way it was handled at the MUSR. Now McMark may have other ideas.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 22 2007, 05:21 AM) *

duh... look at a map.

Yea.. but if I have a choice to ride with your ugly, Napoleon Dynamite on Crack face, or with a beautiful redhead, I am definitely going to choose the beautiful redhead! biggrin.gif

Clay, you DO have a choice. Go to your Chino meeting, get the beautiful Toasty one to drive you up to Sacramento on the way to Rohnert Park, She knows the way as she has Peeps in North Highlands, and you can use my Bumblebee for the event. Don't worry. Fully insured. Very reliable. Goes like hell!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Feb 23 2007, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 22 2007, 05:21 AM) *

duh... look at a map.

Clay, you DO have a choice. Go to your Chino meeting, get the beautiful Toasty one to drive you up to Sacramento on the way to Rohnert Park, She knows the way as she has Peeps in North Highlands, and you can use my Bumblebee for the event. Don't worry. Fully insured. Very reliable. Goes like hell!

Now that is a hell of a nice offer. I wonder if the airlines will have a problem with me bringing my helmet on the plane??

Toasty one... would you be so kind as to drive me up the coast??? Please don't make me ride with that overgrown brat Aaron. :beg:
Allan
Clay,

I don't know when or where you are flying in but I'll be dropping my wife and daughter at LAX on the 14th and heading back to Bakersfield then leaving for the WCR Friday morning.

I'd be more than happy to get ya there...
McMark
Clay, you explained that very well. Tobra, the registration is only $25. If you're going to come on the drive, you're gonna wanna eat the lunch that's provided. And that's what part of the $25 is for. wink.gif And BTW, come Friday night and crash in someone elses room. Friday is a hoot!!!
fiid
I'm in.
Dr. Roger
stupid question:

if we're under the PCA does that mean all cars will need to be porsche powered??? as opposed to SCCA which allows any power plants...
fiid
No - we're fine. Local PCA rules for Golden Gate Region actually allow non-porsche plants for AX now.

McMark
Fiid's got it right. Non-porsche powered cars are allowed.
DanT
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 23 2007, 05:02 PM) *

Fiid's got it right. Non-porsche powered cars are allowed.

Only for PCA members. if you are not a PCA member then you need to have a Porsche....period...no motor transplants.
It is at the discretion of the AX chair...if there are an excess of cars then non porsches or non porsche powered cars can be excluded.
nebreitling
i don't get it. is this a PCA AX? or a WCA AX using PCA insurance?

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Feb 23 2007, 07:34 PM) *

This will be a 914Sig event. It is covered THROUGH the local region, and for that the local region gets some cash (and hopefully we get to borrow their equipment). But it is strictly a SIG event, and the event chair (I.E. McMark) decides the rules and classifications for the AX. We have multiple classes for an AX at the MUSR. 1.7 and 1.8 stock 4 cylinders, 2.0 stock 4 cylinders, modified 4 cylinders of any type (carbs make it a modified 4) stock 6 cylinder, modified 6 and 8 cylinder, and anything else from a taildragger to a waterpumper to a Suburban! Yes, Tom Ewing ran his Suburban in the AX at MUSR 6.

Now the event chair can choose to have an AX that coincides with a region AX, and then the region rules would take precedence.

So, to shorten the answer, IF McMark decides to hold a WCR AX, with participants from the WCR only, then it can be "run what you brung", If he piggybacks on a locak region AX, then the local AX rules apply.

Does that answer the question?

grantsfo
null
McMark
But the SIG is different from your normal PCA events, AFAIK. Allowing everyone to run is a major point for me. I just hope we don't have to source alternative insurance to do it. This is definitely something that needs to be cleared up...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Feb 23 2007, 09:53 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 23 2007, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Feb 23 2007, 07:34 PM) *

This will be a 914Sig event. It is covered THROUGH the local region, and for that the local region gets some cash (and hopefully we get to borrow their equipment). But it is strictly a SIG event, and the event chair (I.E. McMark) decides the rules and classifications for the AX. We have multiple classes for an AX at the MUSR. 1.7 and 1.8 stock 4 cylinders, 2.0 stock 4 cylinders, modified 4 cylinders of any type (carbs make it a modified 4) stock 6 cylinder, modified 6 and 8 cylinder, and anything else from a taildragger to a waterpumper to a Suburban! Yes, Tom Ewing ran his Suburban in the AX at MUSR 6.

Now the event chair can choose to have an AX that coincides with a region AX, and then the region rules would take precedence.

So, to shorten the answer, IF McMark decides to hold a WCR AX, with participants from the WCR only, then it can be "run what you brung", If he piggybacks on a locak region AX, then the local AX rules apply.

Does that answer the question?

But my understanding is that PCA insurance only covers members or those driving Porsche's? Also insurance only covers certified PCA instructors as riders in cars from my understanding. I know RR challenges my membership every time I bring a non P car to Shultz events. Just would hate to see us jeopardize local PCA regions coverage. Also local area is very sensitive to AX events at this venue so lets make sure everyone obeys speed limits and uses sane mufflers. We don't want to make it hard on local clubs to hold events in the future. We are running out of good venues in Nor Cal so lets make sure we are good citizens at this event.

The insurance is run through PCA national, and there is no rule that says you must have a Porsche to run. Our local region has regular participants in Miatas, WRXs, corvettes, and Minis. In fact, the local Mini club runs in our AX, but they have their own points and trophys for the club. They don't have enough members to run their own event.

I think your issue is with your region, not PCA in general. I am sure that Charlie will chime in here and explain the "official" opinion.

And yes, the SIG is different. IF it is a SIG event, then the event chair makes the rules, as long as they are safe.

RoadGlue

We have multiple classes for an AX at the MUSR. 1.7 and 1.8 stock 4 cylinders, 2.0 stock 4 cylinders, modified 4 cylinders of any type (carbs make it a modified 4)

This is based completely on the power plant then, right? Suspension mods won't put us in other classes.

I might have a chance against other bone stock 2.0s running D-jet! Woo hoo! smile.gif

Edit - Wait, what am I thinking? I guess I'll be in modified because I'll have a 2056. Right? I'd try to sneak this under the radar, but Mark already knows my motor plans! smile.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Feb 23 2007, 11:29 PM) *

We have multiple classes for an AX at the MUSR. 1.7 and 1.8 stock 4 cylinders, 2.0 stock 4 cylinders, modified 4 cylinders of any type (carbs make it a modified 4)

This is based completely on the power plant then, right? Suspension mods won't put us in other classes.

I might have a chance against other bone stock 2.0s running D-jet! Woo hoo! smile.gif

Edit - Wait, what am I thinking? I guess I'll be in modified because I'll have a 2056. Right? I'd try to sneak this under the radar, but Mark already knows my motor plans! smile.gif

That is the class system we use for the MUSR. Mark is free to set the classes up how HE wants to.

McMark
I need to make up a classification system too! wacko.gif

Four Cylinders VS Six Cylinders VS Transplants

See that was easy. av-943.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 23 2007, 08:38 PM) *

But the SIG is different from your normal PCA events, AFAIK. Allowing everyone to run is a major point for me. I just hope we don't have to source alternative insurance to do it. This is definitely something that needs to be cleared up...

Mark,
This might be a regional rule. SVR invites ESCA and BMWCCA to our events. So far we have had only a BMW guy that I know of. He was not a member of PCA and we reprinted his BMW article in the Drifter this month...
SVR does not require that the autocrosser be a PCA member.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 23 2007, 11:18 PM) *

I need to make up a classification system too! wacko.gif

Four Cylinders VS Six Cylinders VS Transplants

See that was easy. av-943.gif

I agree... TTOD
McMark
Me, Randy, and John drove the Saturday Tour route today. It's a REALLY amazing route. Some great Sonoma rolling hills scenery, coastline/oceanside driving, and more twisties than you can shake a 914 at.

I think Randy has some pictures he might be able to share. smile.gif

Make sure your brakes and suspension are in good order because they WILL BE GIVEN A SEVERE WORKOUT!!! driving.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 24 2007, 06:40 PM) *

Me, Randy, and John drove the Saturday Tour route today. It's a REALLY amazing route. Some great Sonoma rolling hills scenery, coastline/oceanside driving, and more twisties than you can shake a 914 at.

I think Randy has some pictures he might be able to share. smile.gif

Make sure your brakes and suspension are in good order because they WILL BE GIVEN A SEVERE WORKOUT!!! driving.gif

That was fun, thanks Mark! I'll post the photos later tonight or early tomorrow. Headed out to see some other friends now.
Dr. Roger
Pay Pal sent.

I'm going to get my 914 cherry popped.

It'll be my 914's first real 914 event and first AX ever. =-))))))

I'm stoked. boldblue.gif

clap56.gif
RoadGlue
Our scouting run yesterday was done in damp, cloudy, raining conditions, but the weather will be perfect come June.

Here are some photos from the last half of the route (not sure why I didn't pull the cam out sooner!):

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RoadGlue
A few more:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
McMark
Thanks Randy! Next time we'll bring a video camera and take some in car footage. driving.gif And we'll drive 914s. biggrin.gif
Hammy
Looks awesome! I love those kinds of roads.....
jgara962
For anyone who is coming to the WRC, this is going to be a great run. We only did half of it yesterday, and the roads and scenery were amazing. It will be a blast in the 914's driving.gif
Tobra
It is not the $25 entry fee, it is the three days.

I have money, time is where I run into trouble. I can get up at 5 or 6 in the morning, be there when you guys are rubbing the sleep out of your eyes, go from Rhonert Park, over the hill, around the dale, beating the living crap out of my car all the way.

That way, I can get home that evening and maintain domestic tranquility, always a plus
jgara962
QUOTE(Tobra @ Feb 26 2007, 09:34 AM) *

It is not the $25 entry fee, it is the three days.

I have money, time is where I run into trouble. I can get up at 5 or 6 in the morning, be there when you guys are rubbing the sleep out of your eyes, go from Rhonert Park, over the hill, around the dale, beating the living crap out of my car all the way.

That way, I can get home that evening and maintain domestic tranquility, always a plus

I'm doing the same thing. I'm going to register, but I'll only be attending the Satruday run and maybe head back to Santa Rosa for the auto-x on Monday.
Demick
You guys will be missing out on a big part of the fun. The first WCC I went home each afternoon after the organized events were over because I was local. The second WCC was in SoCal, so I that wasn't an option - and I found out how much more fun it was to dedicate the whole time to the event. So this year, despite being local, I will be staying in Rohnert Park for the whole weekend.

Demick

P.S. I know this is not an option for everyone. Believe me I know - I'm up to my ears in commitments, family, etc too. Just trying to point out that the WCC/WCR is about much more than just an autocross and twisty road tour. I didn't get it until WCC'05. So if you can swing it, stay for it's entirety.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Demick @ Feb 26 2007, 10:17 AM) *

You guys will be missing out on a big part of the fun. The first WCC I went home each afternoon after the organized events were over because I was local. The second WCC was in SoCal, so I that wasn't an option - and I found out how much more fun it was to dedicate the whole time to the event. So this year, despite being local, I will be staying in Rohnert Park for the whole weekend.

Demick

P.S. I know this is not an option for everyone. Believe me I know - I'm up to my ears in commitments, family, etc too. Just trying to point out that the WCC/WCR is about much more than just an autocross and twisty road tour. I didn't get it until WCC'05. So if you can swing it, stay for it's entirety.

agree.gif Wish I could go. Life is funny, never know what's around the next curve.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Demick @ Feb 26 2007, 10:17 AM) *

agree.gif

you'll be missing out on the real fun part ... w00t.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mightyohm
Those roads look like some of the ones I got lost on a couple times out west of Petaluma. Are one or two of those photos from Marshall-Petaluma road? I spent 45 mins without seeing another car out there on a Saturday afternoon in the winter.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Feb 26 2007, 01:45 PM) *

Those roads look like some of the ones I got lost on a couple times out west of Petaluma. Are one or two of those photos from Marshall-Petaluma road? I spent 45 mins without seeing another car out there on a Saturday afternoon in the winter.

The Marshall-Petaluma road is a ways south from this area, though we've done 914 tours on that route in the past. It's suffered greatly though in last years storms and isn't nearly as nice as it used to be. I recall both Dug and Brad catching air on a few of the crests on that road closer to Marshall...

Here's that route:

Petaluma to Marshall Map
RoadGlue
Here's the proposed route for the WCR drive, though I think I may tweak the first 1/4 part a bit:

Proposed WCR Route Map - The lunch stop is at "G".

There's going to be some traffic regardless of where we go on Saturday, but getting up north should help a little bit.
McMark
Here's a screen capture. driving.gif Point H is also Point A which is the Hotel.
94teen6
How many miles is that? driving.gif
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Feb 26 2007, 01:58 PM) *

Here's the proposed route for the WCR drive, though I think I may tweak the first 1/4 part a bit:

Proposed WCR Route Map - The lunch stop is at "G".

..does that Yahoo Maps link NOT work for anyone else, besides me?

Never Mind, I had the OLD Yahoo Maps loaded up.
Thanks Randy.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(94teen6 @ Feb 26 2007, 02:51 PM) *

How many miles is that? driving.gif

Just click on the map link I posted. Total mileage is retentively short, at just 135 mi from the hotel, around and back to the hotel. Driving time is around 3.5 hours.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.