Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the World needs now is... a progress thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
VaccaRabite
No pics. Its dark by the time I get home, and I have been keeping my camera at work lately.

Yesterday I dropped my Cyl 1&2 head at a local shop to have a spark plug insert installed. Some of you may remember my posting on it from last week or so. The plug had been helicoiled, but the coil was coming out. I was going to do the insert myself until I saw the price of the install kits. OUCH! For a 1 off job, it was way cheaper to have my local shop do it.

I'll get the head back today, but a grad school final on Monday will keep me from putting the head back on. I really need to be studying. The course is billed as the hardest one in the program, and I believe it!

I was thinking I'd put the motor back in over turkey day, but then I remembered that the good Dr is not done with my tranny yet. So, I guess that will have to wait to go back in for a little while longer.

I put my SS fuel line into the tunnel last night, but did not have time to force it through the grommet at the front, so I guess that job is only 1/2 done. I still need to seal the insides of the gas tank, so I am not in a big rush there.

zach
Dr Evil
Dude, your tranny is only a few hours from completion. The fact that is is in YOUR garage and not mine is why it is not done tongue.gif I can do it the weekend after TG.
VaccaRabite
Mike, i am so not complaining. Just sayig that I was starting to put the cart before the horse. It will get done when it does.

Zach
VaccaRabite
So, more progress made, and still no PICS (looser!)

All of the silver trim pieces that I am keeping (save the door handles, and those might change too when I find the buggers) are now the same color green as the body.

I was going to paint them flat black, but I started thingking about it, and thought they would look better as body color. I painted them last night in my basement.

I also took all my engine tin to my favorite FLAPS (Broadway Autoparts, in Red Lion, Pa - if you live near there, you should shop there). I asked them for a referral to have the stuff degreased and bead blasted. "Oh, we do that. Just drop it on by." I love these guys. Their shop is a little farther away from me then the local Autozone, but I will drive that extra 1/2 mile every time. They actually know what they are talking about, have a machinist on staff, and have low prices. I also had them punch the roll in out of my pedal cluster, and install the timecert in my stripped spark plug.

When I get my tin back, I think I am going to paint it some sort of really loud, obnoxious color that contrasts with the obnoxious conda green the rest of my car is. Black is for sissies! I am thinking high temp candy apple red or something like that - so it will always be like Christmas in my engine bay. laugh.gif.

Now that grad school is done until January, i have time to actually get work done. And I have a lot of work to do. I am behind my schedule to have the car done by mid April!

Zach
VaccaRabite
I'm becoming a DAPO! Well, not yet I supposed, but if I ever sell the car.

Today I painted the engine tin.

Ford Red! Krylon! Somebody stop me!

I got my tin back from the bead blaster. Man did it look pretty. I got the reddest hi-temp paint I could find from my favorite FLAPS, which happened to be Krylon Ford Red engine paint. Not as brite as I had hoped, but it will keep the tin from rusting, and will show me if I have a bad leak somewhere. And make my bay look festive, and thats what really counts.

I welded shut a hole that I know that I don't need in the tin, and painted it. In the basement. On a laundry rack that I did not think my darling wife ever used.

Turns out, she does use it. So I got in a spot of trouble for that one. But I did a ton of household chores, and that seemed to make it all better.

I also put the head back on my T4. I forgot to borrow the leak down tester from Mike (who borrowed it from Chris). So, I'll send them both an email and see if I can get it to do leak down and see if I have made things better or made them worse.

I get the last two bits from Broadway Autoparts tomorrow, and will paint them, then put them on the engine and maybe remember to take a picture Tuesday.

Also, I am ready to put back together my doors, and glue the trim back on. The doors are a huge PITA, but I guess I do need to do it. One less thing to worry about.

I need to make a chart of the work to be done over the next month. its quite a lot. Hopefully, I can take a big chunk out before classes start again.

Zach
Gint
I went through the last 24 post od this thread and guess what I didn't find? smile.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
koozy
Oh man, I also read through the thing thinking "oh yea... here comes the pics" and..... "uh... what the...???" Yikes.... no pics. I'm soooooo ready for a picture of that thing. I'm a hair away from tearing into mine. I'll be pulling the motor next weekend. Maybe I'll start a progress thread too. Looks like it's theraputic to sit and type after working something out. Zach, nice job bro. Keep it up and take a look at mine when I start it so you can yell at me when I am about to do something stupid.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 25 2007, 11:33 PM) *

I went through the last 24 post od this thread and guess what I didn't find? smile.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I will. I promise. I just want to get something done that is picture worthy. Everything of late has been dippy little stuff that does not really look much different from what I did in June.

Zach
VaccaRabite
LOTS of imperfections, and a ton of paint work still to do to even everything out. But the painting is pretty much done, and I am getting towards putting it back together. Hey, its the first time I ever painted a car. A ton of stuff I learned, and a ton of things that I will want to do when I get mad and repaint it down the line. When (if) ScottyB comes up a few weekends from now as (hopefully) planned, I hope he will be able to give me some pointers on how to fix some of the weaker points without needing to re-shoot it.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I am going to go back into the basement and put another coat of paint on my engine tin. I need to be done painting before Erin gets home from class, or its chair.gif for me.

Zach
jonferns
looks good zach...nice stripes biggrin.gif

-JON
scotty b
Absolutely Zach. I'll also help you string some lights on the car. Green car w/ red engine tin HAS to have some lights hung on it av-943.gif poke.gif
jd74914
From this chair it looks pretty good Zach clap56.gif

I really like the color and the stripes. Are the stripes painted on or decals?

The assembly from this point is the fun part . . . my car looked like yours about 3 months ago, now its complete save for the front bumper. I found that the assembly got a lot faster the close I got to finished.
VaccaRabite
No decals. I painted the stripes on.

It looks better in pictures then it does in real life. There are quite a few "iffy" areas. They might just need color sanding and re buffing.

As for Christmas lights.... Don't think for a moment that I have not considered putting a short string of LED lights in the engine bay. I figure they would wire into the trunk light. Probably pull less power then the trunk light too.

Zach
scotty b
How about an inflatable snow globe in the front trunk ? stirthepot.gif
snflupigus
has anybody ever seen a progress thread that didnt just sort of leave you hanging because it wasnt done yet... smile.gif I guess thats why the call em progress threads. LOL
VaccaRabite
Its really (REALLY) nice out right now, and supposed to get crappy later AND I cleaned the garage last night so I thought I would take some pics of the engine in is freshly painted tin.

The patient is being patient. Has a little while yet before the motor goes back in.
IPB Image

Motor on my kit-bashed engine stand. Not pretty, but it works.
IPB Image

Some welding. My butt welding sucks (as can be seen mad.gif ) so I decided to just spot weld the heater vents closed. So much easier, and it looks nicer too. I did the butt welding as practice. I need to practice more. I'll paint the vent plugs when the weather warms up a little.
IPB Image

Passenger side (also needs painted):
IPB Image

From the front (yes, the coil needs to be secured. I need to get the part.)
IPB Image

IPB Image

Thats all I've got right now.
jonferns
still have that rotisserie?

-JON smile.gif
VaccaRabite
Nope, sold the rotisserie back in September or so.

Zach
Allan
How are you going to access the alternator in the event the belt breaks or needs adjustment with the access hole welded shut?
VaccaRabite
Find a way. With all the FI stuff gone, Engine drops would be a snap. If I broke a belt on the road, I'd just get home on the battery. The car won't have much that draws anything. Heats gone. Radios gone. FI gone. Battery just needed for lights and ignition.
Gint
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 26 2007, 05:45 PM) *
LOTS of imperfections, and a ton of paint work still to do to even everything out.

Can't see 'em from my garage. wink.gif Looks good.
VaccaRabite
Well, I was in the garage last night for a few hours fiddling with stuff.

The bucket of water that I have been using for color sanding was a solid block of ice. *brrrr*

Anyhow, I re-ran all the rear wires, and got the front wires started.

I fixed the dents in my dash board with a hammer, clamps, and a mapp torch.

I fiddled and prodded with my engine.

Does not sound like much, but that was about 4 hours of time in the garage for me.

And I looked at suspension prices on line. Its a good chunk of $$ to upgrade from my current KYBs.

Zach
Dr Evil
I may have some shox for ya....we will see.
VaccaRabite
I am not really sure if this is progress or regression, but:

IPB Image
Head stud won't budge, I'm leaving it for the machineist to take care of.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I had to split the case to get the 1&2 cylinder registers decked.

So, word to the wise, if it does not split easily, search for the hidden bolt. You won't see the one thats still in there, but its there, all the same. Took me an hour tonight to find the last nut.

Zach
Dr Evil
Ooooo. I hope this ends well wink.gif
VaccaRabite
I just bought most of the parts I need to finish the car. And I still need more stink'n parts. I need parts from Jake for my motor (what, I don't exactly know yet, so I have not orederd), and I need stuff to finish up my doors.

Mike, does your parts supply have roll bar seals and a passinger side fuzzy strip? Used is okay, so long as it is in tact.

Things I need:
In cabin sound proofing (fat mat probably)
In cabin carpet
Dash face recovering
door panels (seriously thinking about the applebiz ones)
passinger door fuzzy strip
roll bar seals (I THOUGHT I had some, somewhere)
Engine compartment to engine tin cooling seals.

Do you need a pedal board? is it a "nice" thing, or a "you need this" thing.

I have three months to finish this car. Man, I have to get busy!

Zach
Gint
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 17 2008, 01:00 PM) *

Do you need a pedal board? is it a "nice" thing, or a "you need this" thing.

I have three months to finish this car. Man, I have to get busy!

Zach

You need that thing. The stops keep your heavy foot from stretching/breaking the throttle and clutch cables.

Good luck!
Twise

Whats this ??? I am looking for door panels too...
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Twise @ Jan 17 2008, 07:56 PM) *

Check out this thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=79249&hl=

On to other topics...

Just placed an order with AA for some of the stuff I need. Bleeding money, but if I don't get it now, I won't...

Put a PM to Engman to see if his pedal plates are in stock or not.

Man, I'll spend as much in parts for this car as I did for the car.

The car is quickly approaching $8K. 2 for the car. 2 for the motor. And 3.5 in parts/paint/tranny work.

After this month, though, I don't think that there will be any other large outlays of money.

At least, not till I start over.

Zach
Bogaat
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 18 2008, 02:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Twise @ Jan 17 2008, 07:56 PM) *

Check out this thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=79249&hl=

On to other topics...

Just placed an order with AA for some of the stuff I need. Bleeding money, but if I don't get it now, I won't...

Put a PM to Engman to see if his pedal plates are in stock or not.

Man, I'll spend as much in parts for this car as I did for the car.

The car is quickly approaching $8K. 2 for the car. 2 for the motor. And 3.5 in parts/paint/tranny work.

After this month, though, I don't think that there will be any other large outlays of money.

At least, not till I start over.

Zach

Dude, I put right over 14k into mine before I considered it done... I feel your pain. I wish I only had to spend 8k beer3.gif
Dr Evil
Dude, door panels are easy as hell to make for low $$. I can help.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 18 2008, 02:46 PM) *

Dude, door panels are easy as hell to make for low $$. I can help.

Then I will learn.

I was prety much going to try and get the appbiz ones a birthday present, and drive around w/o panels for a while.

Making my own works too. Just kinda stressing about running out of time. You know how that goes.

Zach
Dr Evil
Running out of time = just get the important stuff done.
- Engine
- Tranny (x)
- Suspention
- Steering

Pretty short list. I may be able to help you this weekend.
VaccaRabite
My task for this weekend is to run the new brake hard lines, plug in the master cylinder, and attach the clutch cable to the pedal cluster, reinstall the dash and get the electric wires plugged into the places they need to go. Oh, an tear down the suspension so I can get the rotors re-surfaced and rebuild the brake calipers.

And host Erins folks for dinner, interview 3 more potential infant care places, and manage a planning meeting over on the Eastern Shore.

Nothing like a packed weekend. *head asplode*

Engine will happen in early February, hopefully. I was not able to get to Josh's yesterday due to the weather. Just going from work to my mom's (2 miles) to shovel her walk took an hour. Also, I am waiting on the cylinder that got punched out at Aircooled. Monday will be two weeks, so I will give a call and see whats what.

Suspension will happen ASAP. I am waiting on parts from Pelican and AA

Zach
Dr Evil
So, ya dont want me to come over? You should leave your garage unlocked and maybe I can come over even if you arent there and un-fuch your car biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
Not this weekend. Monday, if you have off for MLK day, would be cool. I'm busy that day till around noon, but would love help if I could get it.

I just got in from a few hours of puttering. I swear I work at the pace of a snail. I got done a little of the hard line replacement, and a little of the dash wiring.

Zach
VaccaRabite
I got 2 new stickers for my tool box in the mail today. Wanna see 'um?

IPB Image

I did not intend to buy one of these right now. But it was there, and I was spending money anyhow. And it'll be the perfect compliment to my freshly Dr. Eviled tranny.

Zach
Dr Evil
Oh, you suck! Damn rich bastards (mine was a gift) poke.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 19 2008, 06:05 PM) *

Oh, you suck! Damn rich bastards (mine was a gift) poke.gif

No, not rich.
Scraping the bottom of the barrel this month. But anything for the car not bought by then middle of February probably won't get bought.

I needed to buy everything I still needed now.

Hey, Mike. What can I take that will clear out my head withought making me feel like I've been sniffing glue? I'm clogged up solid.

Zach
Dr Evil
What to take depends. Headache? Coryza due to allergy? Viral sinusitis? Bacterial sinusitis? What color is the sputum? Swollen nodes? I'd have to put my hands on ya to tell you for sure (and not in the fun way like you like it).
Dr. Roger
Zach, Right on.

Always good to see some progress happening with anyone here.

beerchug.gif

smilie_pokal.gif

popcorn[1].gif
VaccaRabite
Right now I am taking day quill, lots of hot tea, and cold ease. Its helping. At least I can breathe again.

I still have the "wobbly stuffy head" feeling, I guess 'cause my congestion is mucking with my equilibrium.

I pretty much have a classic, gross, hard on head cold. If there are any over the counter tricks that you have learned, man, lay them on me.

Back to the garage I go. More work to do. I am warm again.

Zach
Dr Evil
The common cold stuff is:
Dextromethorphan - anti tussive (stops cough), makes ya feel goofy
Phenylephrine - decongestant, replaced pseudoephedrine
Pseudoephedrine - good for drying you out and making you feel a bit like you are on speed

Then you have the histamine receptor antagonists like diphenhydramine (Benadryl, 1st gen = sleepy), acrivastine and Cetirizine (bendryl alergy and One a day, second gen, less sleepy), the best one is fexophenidine (Allegra,3rd gen, non drowsy, may not be appropriate for your symptoms. Enough info?
VaccaRabite
In for the night.
I got the hard line run through the tunnel, and realized that I had misplaced the 90 degree bend that attaches to the next line. I decided that I was not in the right mental place to be working on brakes, and I'd go back into it tomorrow when my head is clearer (and after I have run to FLAPS to get a new 90 degree bend).

Zach
bandjoey
This is great...I'm just starting on my car. 1. How did you get your wife to understand the importance of this project for 2 years? 2. I like your rotisserie. Can you post a picture of how you attached it to the car, or a drawing/description? How did you get the car off the ground and on the rack? Ps. I'll give you the master bedroom and all the bar-b-q and beer you can eat for moving into my house and doing my car. GREAT Inspiration. Bandjoey
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 19 2008, 11:36 PM) *

This is great...I'm just starting on my car. 1. How did you get your wife to understand the importance of this project for 2 years? 2. I like your rotisserie. Can you post a picture of how you attached it to the car, or a drawing/description? How did you get the car off the ground and on the rack? Ps. I'll give you the master bedroom and all the bar-b-q and beer you can eat for moving into my house and doing my car. GREAT Inspiration. Bandjoey

First off, let me say welcome.png

1) My wife is the awesomest person that I know. I was pretty up front when I met her that I need hobbies, and she also knew that I had been thinking about restoring an old car since the before we met. Part of the criteria when we bought this house was that it had a garage that was big enough for her car, and also for me to restore another at the same time. I make sure that my end of the bills get paid, and that I make time for her, and everything is cool.

2) the Rot attached directly to the bumper attachment points for a 75-76 914.
If you look at the picture below, you can see at the far right that the cross bar for the rot is simply laid over the bumper mounts, and then through bolted. I put some stout washers between the ears of the bumper mount so that they would not collapse. Don't know that I even needed to do that, but it made me feel good.
IPB Image

3) At the rate I work, I'd be living at your house for over 2 years. If I can do this stuff, anyone can. It just takes determination, time, a will to learn, and a little cash now and again. Or, you know, a lot of cash to pay someone else to do all the work.

Start a progress thread. Take lots of pics. Stick with it.
Good luck!

Zach
VaccaRabite
I stopped by Josh's place last night and got the "new" case, crank, rods, rod bearings, lightened flywheel, other assorted small parts, and ideas.

I got to see, take some crappy cell phone pictures, and measure, his cable pull headlight system that I want to implement. I'd post pics, but not without Josh's permission, and the pics are crappy cell phone pics, not the usual quality that I put up.

I folded into Josh's car. My ass was almost too big to get in the damn seat. Looking at his car made me wish I had gone ahead and build my wiring harness from scratch as I had planned to do, but its in the car now and I am not taking it back out.

Any how, I need to have the case checked for trueness, then I'll slap my motor back together.

Over the weekend I also started installing my brake hardline kit. One of the rear lines was too long, and the other too short, so the guy is sending me a longer left rear line, and I will bend the right rear line to fit. The front lines ar pretty much done. But before bend and plug the passenger front line into the master cylinder, I need to install the steering column and rods, to make sure that the brake line does not get in the way.

I got the first big box of parts from Pelican yesterday, but did not have time to go through it. It was too cold, and I was running like a freshly beheaded chicken all freak'n day. I interviewed the last 4 day care centers, and put down deposits at 2 of them. At least one of those two should have a crib ready in late August when we need it.

I should have another 2 boxes of parts inbound this week.

I'm in class tonight and Wednesday, so Thursday will be my next chance to work on the car. Assuming that I have my turbo tie rods by then, my task will be rebuilding the front suspension and front brake calipers.

Lots of work, and very little time to do it. But I am seeing small bits of progress.

Zach
VaccaRabite
I got my punched out cylinder back from Air Cooled Racing last night. Woo-hoo, I have 4 cylinders again!

My brake hardlines are in the car. Soft lines are not attached yet.

I got another box of parts from Pelican. I still have a box inbound from AA. Hopefully, I will be able to get some serious work done tonight.

On my way home tonight I have to stop by true Value to get some lite pneumatic shocks and some stock steel to fab my headlamp system (using Josh's setup as the model, not the "official" gt system.)

Zach
Allan
Hey Zach,

You gonna need the dial indicator and mount again?

It's still in the box and ready to mail... biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
I think that you may be confusing me with another boardie, but I appreciate the offer!

Actually, I borrowed one from DrEvil last time Erin and I were up to visit him. What I will need is a leakdown tester, though. Probably not till the first weekend in February, though. I should prolly go out and just buy one.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.