Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the World needs now is... a progress thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
jonferns
icon_bump.gif any updates?
VaccaRabite
None at the moment. Too much school.
I'm planning to work on it the weekend of the 8th (of november). Probably very little until then.

Zach
MrKona
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 9 2008, 01:53 PM) *

None at the moment. Too much school.
I'm planning to work on it the weekend of the 8th (of november). Probably very little until then.

Zach

I know how you feel... between, work, school, and family, my engine rebuild has come to a halt. It's there waiting for me. Sometimes I go into the garage, take the plastic cover off the engine, and just look at it.

Your car is waiting patiently for you when you get the time...
VaccaRabite
So, a little got done today.
My goal was to get everything in place in the gas area, but I ran into snags.

I got the windshield wiper assembly cleaned up and reinstalled (with a delay while I figured out what wires went where).
I got the left and right vents back in.
I was hoping to get the blower and fresh air box in, but I noticed that my drain hose was totally worse then I expected, so that needs to get replaced.

I started futzing with the gas tank, to get it in. I capped off the return hose. I replaced the strainer sock. I vaccumed out all the grit from the tank I could find. Very little rust in it, so I am not going to seal it. I went to run all the under tank lines.. And it was an epic failure.

Well, not truly epic, as nothing burned.

Since I converted to carbs, a lot of the stock stuff did not work.
New cuts of 7mm hose would not fit over my new SS tunnel fuel line. The 75-76 filter uses hose WAY to big to mate to the fuel pump.

So, I need to get 8mm lines, and a different fuel filter.

Or just get 3/8 lines, and stick with the regular old NAPA filter.

At least I have the good kind of fuel hose clamps.
Zach
VaccaRabite
A BIG moment yesterday...

IPB Image

IPB Image

My engine still needs some tuning.
After nearly three years of seperation...
My engine is IN THE FREAK'N CAR!

Zach
jonferns
aktion035.gif

Congrats! Getting closer and closer to the finished product!
markb
beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif
Dr Evil
biggrin.gif
Gint
Grats!
VaccaRabite
Special thanks to ScottyB and DrEvil. We got a ton of stuff done this weekend on my car. While I was working on the bumpers Mike and Scotty were just "Lets put the engine in the car." "Okay" And it was done.

Then we had a party. :-)

Zach
wilchek
thumb3d.gif Awesome, remember it is the journey not the destination that we remember.
jsayre914
sorry I missed the party, looks great biggrin.gif soon you will be passing my subaru on I83. shades.gif
VaccaRabite
So, after working a bit on Saturday...

The oil puke tank is installed and hoses are run.
The venting system is hooked up - though its not adjusted, and I'll probably leave it that way so long as it is powered off.
The gas tank is in. *this is a small milestone for me!*
The fuel pump is set up for the front of the car mount. I need to re-run the fuel line that goes from the pump to the tunnel, but that is a small job.
The carbs are still in progress. I need to buy a few parts yet, but the vents and jetting is supposed to be good. I probably have some air leaks to fix.
I put new windshield wipers on.

The past two weekends have been good, but that is probably all that I will be able to do before Thanksgiving weekend. My family is flying out to Texas on Tuesday - Saturday to meet up with my Dad and Granny. They wanna meet the little guy.

Zach
VaccaRabite
So, day one progress.
Carbs are re-rebuilt. This will *hopefully* cure the air leaks that were plaguing me earlier. one of the needle jets was bent and had to be replaced. Also, one of the pump diaphrams was leaking so I replaced it as well.

I fixed what I hope is my last oil leak. There was a leak where the oil pressure relief valve exits the bottom of the case. I replaced the crush washer. That was kind of a bitch of a task.

I started hooking up my CVs to the tranny when I realized that I probably needed a gasket there. Go me. I need the gasket before I can continue.

I dropped the clutch return pully down an inch via the Tangerine methode. I went to run my clutch cable, but I could not find the heat shield tubing that I need to put the clutch cable in. So, that will need to wait.

Rear bumper is back on the car.

And now for the work that I need to undo. I need to remove the throttle cable and re-run it. It got twisted around the clutch cable. I guess I'll try and do that tonight after little guy goes to bed.

I went to polish off my e-brakes and found that I had been sent the wrong clips. *grumble* I'll need to source the right ones.

I connected my fuel pump up, but there is a fuel hose caught under the tank somewhere I am going to need to fix.

I wanted to get all my "under the car" work done today, but as normal, I did not start with all the bits and bobs in line. Now I must wait for a few dollars worth of parts. What I would not give for a DEPENDABLE VW bug house near me. There are two that I know of, that are NEVER open.

I got stuff done today, but it really does not seem like it. I hate trying to wiggle in behind the pedal cluster.

Zach
r_towle
Congrats on making some time.
On the accel cable..
Take the front tunnel cover off and rest a mirror in there so you can see the cable and tube...
hands and knees lean in to the pedal cluster.
remove the cable from the ball and twist it around so its off the clutch cable and then snap it back on.

Its about 15 minute job with alot of swearing..
The board needs to be out.

Rich
Dr Evil
Need help? I am back smile.gif
jsayre914
Well... in Zachs defense

He was helping me with my car all morning, We got my battery tray welded back on and got me a new hood. I need to get myself one of those welders. The tray looks great thanks zach, I willpost pics later in my own thread.

The ultimate sacrafice.... to put a friends needs befor his own pray.gif pray.gif

thanks again shades.gif
VaccaRabite
Eh, NP. :-)

Last night I was able to get my throttle cable fixed, and I fabricated a new throttle-cable-holder-thingy. I was also able the figure out how to get the wires to the rear bumper lights. I don't see how the heck those things are supposed to work, but I think I have them in now.

Today I spent the entire day trying to replace the pads and calipers on my subaru. The rears were no problem. The frints, however, have been fighting me tooth, nail, washer and bolt. in fact, I just had a frozen bolt snap off inside my caliper. Mother fucker!

Time to see if I can drill it out.

Zach
johnnie5
Zach,
Sorry about the busted bolt, that sucks.

How about showing us a pic of what you did with your throttle cable bracket! wavey.gif
VaccaRabite
I will do that Sunday.
I am done with my garage until Sunday. That silly bolt required traipsing though PA for 4 hours to find $13 worth of parts. A 3 or 4 hour job turned into 3 days. I'm dine till Sunady.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Work tonight.

Tonight I hoped to have my front bumpers all mounted up. I finished the wiring needed to make the horns and lights work (just crimping on ends, really) Then I made some backing plates to stiffen up the area the bumpers are bolting bolting into.

Then, disaster.

The front drivers fender had been cut off and replaced at some time in the cars past, and does not seem to be quiiiiiiite on right. When bolted on, that fender lip sat too high on the bumper. when I had on the shocks, there was some play there that I suppose made it workable. Now that it is a steel bracket, not so much. It looks like if I shim it and add a longer bolt to one side, I can make it work. Or I can just cut off my brackets and add the shocks back.

Of course, in an act of overconfidence and bravado, I think that I got rid of the front shocks and the mounting bolts last month. So I may have to make the shims.

I'm super pissed about this. Everything worked perfect except this one corner. Angry and cold, I came inside to bitch about my setback online.

Another annoyance tonight, I discovered that I was out of M8 washers. when I ordered hardware, I ordered as many washes as nuts. I have plenty of M8 nuts left. Oh well. I'll try to slip out to True Value tomorrow and buy some more.

Zach
ericread
No pictures since November 9???

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
VaccaRabite
Well, instead of trying to shim, I knocked the bolts I welded to the bumper out (there were only lightly tacked in case I needed to move them) and drilled two new holes in my bracket 1/4 inch lower, which should move the corner up into alignment.

Then I zipped over to the hardware store (True Value - love their hardware supply) and got some more M8 bolts and 5/16 washers (which work just fine as M8 washers, for a fraction of the cost - even when buying grade8).

When I got home, I got put on daddy duty, so I was unable to test the new set up. Later, once I was free to do as I wished, I realized the snow was squeeking again, and that I was friggn' tired so I just went to bed ~9.

Zach
VaccaRabite
It has been a while since I updated this thread.

Today, I added something cool to my car.

A license plate.

I just need to get it aligned and I can drive it.

Okay, so its only legal for 10 days. I don't have my antique tags yet, so I just got regular tags for while I am waiting. In 10 days it needs to be inspected or I could get an inspection ticket. I have no intensions of getting the inspection. I HOPE my antique tags come in soon.

I still tried to get it out of the garage today for a little spin around the block, but it looks like I will have to do some shimming to get the car out... It is sort of blocked in by the truck.

Zach
r_towle
That is so awesome to hear. I knew you would do it.
Great great great news.

Rich
iamchappy
Zach heat it up!
flippa

At least a few current ones. Lets see it!
Dr Evil
How about the mc?
jonferns

Its been awhile since we've seen what the car looks like!
VaccaRabite
The master cylinder still needs to be replaced. New one slated to arrive on the 25th. I *REALLY* don't want to go through the whole bleeding process again. But I guess stopping is important.

My good camera is still in limbo. The shop that fixed it after the flood has been paid by insurance, but they are dragging thier feet and I don't have the time to go and raise hell. As of yesterday, they promised to have everyhting back to me on Friday.

I did get some pics with the tiny cam, that were needed for the PA antique tags.

Drivers side. Note how close the truck is. it could be amusing getting the car out of the garage.
IPB Image

Pass side (Note the Evil Bus in the background):
IPB Image

Ass end:
IPB Image

Front end (I think this looks bitch'n, but it NEEDS a spoiler:
IPB Image

Zach
type11969
Nice, drive that thing!
al weidman
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Jan 2 2009, 06:53 PM) *

Zach,

How about showing us a pic of what you did with your throttle cable bracket! wavey.gif

Johnnie, here is a pic of the bracket I made for mine. Simple and it has worked flawlessy. Al.
al weidman

Zach,

Johnnie, here is a pic of the bracket I made for mine. Simple and it has worked flawlessy. Al.Click to view attachment
johnnie5
QUOTE(al weidman @ Mar 20 2009, 11:12 PM) *

Zach,

Johnnie, here is a pic of the bracket I made for mine. Simple and it has worked flawlessy. Al.Click to view attachment

Very cool Al... where did you attach the 'support' piece that goes over the dizzy?

I fabricated a single bracket out of aluminum and then copied it with 4130. I also welded ridges/edges onto it for strength.
jsayre914
Whats left Zach??

popcorn[1].gif
VaccaRabite
Funny you should ask.

I just got back in the house after my allotted 2 hours of garage time. Now I have to go back to homework time.

But, I got the old A Arm out. It was way fubar. I moved the ball joint over to the new arm. Also moved over the torsion bar. I need some bits before I put it back together, though so I just closed up shop and came in.

After I get that back in and all bolted up. I need to re-bleed the brakes. Then get it alligned. Then hope PA get me my damn title! Then drive it and see what breaks along the way.

Zach (sees the light at the end of the tunnel, hopes it is not a train.)
Dr Evil
Glad it was a 914 A arm wink.gif
al weidman
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Mar 21 2009, 07:52 AM) *

QUOTE(al weidman @ Mar 20 2009, 11:12 PM) *

Zach,

Very cool Al... where did you attach the 'support' piece that goes over the dizzy?

I fabricated a single bracket out of aluminum and then copied it with 4130. I also welded ridges/edges onto it for strength.

The support is twisted and drilled so it attaches to a case half bolt. Al.
VaccaRabite
Today my car drove off my property for the first time.

I got the brakes bled and the new wheels and tires on, and started working on attaching the hitch on my Subaru.

I got tired of laying down with an m12 bolt that may or may not have stripped out on the suby, so I thought: well, the 914 should be drivable, even though the tags arn't legal any longer....

so I wiggled it out of the garage (green truck is sort of parking it in) and took it for a little spin around the neighborhood. Not far, as I don't know how much gas it actually has, and the alignment is still off. I never actually got out of second gear, actually. But still. For all the ups and down that this car has put me through over the past 2 months, I REALLY feel good right now.

I still doubt that the car will be able to DRIVE to Hershey, due to PA dragging its feet on the title and correct (historic) tags. But I got to drive it, on the street.

It sounds like it wants to go fast.

Zach
Chris Pincetich
Congrats!
Haven read all 12 pages...ARE those red things up front HORNS?
Speakers?
pktzygt
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Apr 13 2009, 02:25 PM) *

Congrats!
Speakers?

I'm not going to go back through the thread, but I think I remember that he had hella horns, which are red and black disks.

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 13 2009, 02:11 PM) *

I still doubt that the car will be able to DRIVE to Hershey, due to PA dragging its feet on the title and correct (historic) tags. But I got to drive it, on the street.

Do they put restrictions on what time of day and where you can drive your car with those historic plates in PA? I wanted to do that, but they told me I couldn't drive at night. I quickly decided to put regular plates on the thing.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Apr 13 2009, 01:41 PM) *

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Apr 13 2009, 02:25 PM) *

Congrats!
Speakers?

I'm not going to go back through the thread, but I think I remember that he had hella horns, which are red and black disks.

Do they put restrictions on what time of day and where you can drive your car with those historic plates in PA? I wanted to do that, but they told me I couldn't drive at night. I quickly decided to put regular plates on the thing.

Yes, Hella Supertones. They are horns, they are loud, and they look cool. I want people to hear me when they cut me off, even when they are on the phone with the radio on.

PA will not allow you to drive at night on antique tags IF the car did not originally come with head lights. If the car came from the factory with head lights, you are good to go.

Zach
Spoke
Here's some info from the PA DMV. I register my 911 (86) and 914 (71) as regular vehicles since I like driving them to work on nice days and don't want any restrictions on when I can drive the cars. In PA, one pays for yearly registration and vehicle inspection. I like the inspections since if you can't pass state inspection then perhaps your car shouldn't be on the road...

From PA DMV:

USE OF COLLECTIBLE REGISTRATION PLATES
The use of collectible plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code which states: “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique, classic or collectible registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours,
parades, occasional transportation and similar uses”.

Permitted use is limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses. Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week.

DEFINITION OF ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLES
Antique Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured more than 25 years prior to the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformance with manufacturer specifications.

Classic Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured at least 15 years prior to the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformity with manufacturer specifications and appearance. Any classic motor vehicle registered under Section 1340 (relating to antique, classic and collectible plates) on the effective date of the amendment to this definition which fails to qualify as a classic motor vehicle pursuant to these provisions may retain such classic registration unless another type of registration is applied for and issued for the vehicle.

USE OF ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC REGISTRATION PLATES
The use of antique and classic plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code which states: “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique and classic registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.” Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week.

Although buses and trucks are eligible for Antique and Classic plates, buses MAY NOT be used to transport passengers and trucks MAY NOT haul cargo.

Antique and Classic plates are not available for motorized pedalcycles.
VaccaRabite
Spoke is spot on. Which is why I don't mind the antique plates for my 914, but will eventually get my truck unbranded.

I'll probably never drive the 914 a lot, it will be a toy. Bt the M715 I would like to use to tow and haul crap around with. I would have titled it as a regualr truck to begin with, the the title office wanted an extra $300 to remove the "A" brand from the title. Seeing as how I am not driving the truck at all yet, I did not see the need to do this.

Zach
Cevan
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 16 2009, 06:13 PM) *

I'll probably never drive the 914 a lot, it will be a toy.

You may take those words back. That's what I thought and I put 4000 miles on mine last year in 8 months. driving.gif
carr914

Today my car drove off my property for the first time.

But I got to drive it, on the street.

It sounds like it wants to go fast.

Zach

No Fuchin Way - We want pictures of this Major event.

Congrats

T.C.
MikeSpraggi
Zach, congrats on your achievement. It's been a long road, but the feeling one experiences driving the car after such a project is, well, euphoric. Mike S.
jt914-6
Zach
Congrats on getting the car going. Within the last month I've got my "project" 914-6 conversion going too. A 13 year ordeal. There were times I wondered if I was ever going to finish. Now that it is done it has been worth it. I'll remind myself just how worth it has been when I get it out on the track in a couple of weeks for a PCA DE. I know what you've been going through. Built mine from the body and the wiring harness up. Enjoy the fruits of your labor......
VaccaRabite
I am scheduled for a 4 wheel alignment tomorrow at 9:30!

Here are some pictures I took today after putting on the RennMetal tow Bar Bracket.

The space under the bumper is going to get one of Mike's new spoilers, as soon as they are ready. Right now, I'm not putting anything there.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The front hood seal is new, and has not yet settled in, which is why the hood seems to be bulding a little.
IPB Image

Nice profile shot.
IPB Image

Wish me luck on the alignment tomorrow. If PA would get me my title, I'd be able to just DRIVE it!

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.