Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangerine Six Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
9146FAN
Time for some updates. The sheetmetal is painted and installed, and a NOS plastic air cleaner housing.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
NOS rear trunk lock from my parts stash. I matched the tumbler to the ignition and then cut three new OE key blanks.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
I got the interior back from the upholstery shop. This is a complete jod including door panels, back pad, center seat, and dash. The grain is as close to OE as I could find. I also used German Houndstooth which was not original to this car, but hey, what else is new?
Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Got the dash back from the upholstery shop. They installed new 1/8" foam and vinyl.
Click to view attachment

Back side of dash had some hand writting underneath. I decided to leave it. Maybe it was Fritz's signature back in May '70 ??

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Starting installation in chassis with new OE rubber seal between dash and windshield.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
NOS dash. I like the fact that the visor over the instuments is not saggy like my old one. This came from Kamp 914 about two years ago.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Dash top on and starting to install switches, controls, glove compartment.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Since I'm a big dude (6'-4" 230 lb), I wanted the steering column to be tilted up for more room. The original steering wheel position was almost in my lap. This was a big hasstle when mounting the column and linkage to make sure everything worked correctly with the steering.

This pic shows the new angle, I put the seat and steering wheel in and it made a big difference. It was a lot of work, but worth it.

Again, not original, but...

Click to view attachment

tat2dphreak
wow, that is amazing work! truly impressive!!!
9146FAN
I asked my body shop to reccomend a sound deadening material. They said the Honda (I know rice burner) product was the best. I cut paper patterns, cut the material, and installed. This product is adhesive on the back. After it was stuck in place, I used a heat-gun. This material is like flat heat-shrink, and I think it's on for good.
Click to view attachment

Solid, no rust origial floors. Original tar material was removed prior to paint.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Paper patern and first piece of Sound material cut out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Use a heat-gun and the results are awesome (at least to me). The material shrinks down to all the reliefs in the floor.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Last shot of the peddal board installed.

Click to view attachment
Gint
QUOTE(9146FAN @ Jun 28 2009, 10:15 PM) *
I asked my body shop to reccomend a sound deadening material. They said the Honda (I know rice burner) product was the best. I cut paper patterns, cut the material, and installed. This product is adhesive on the back. After it was stuck in place, I used a heat-gun. This material is like flat heat-shrink, and I think it's on for good.

No kiddin? What (and how) do they charge for that stuff? Id it by the square foot?
carr914
QUOTE(9146FAN @ Jun 29 2009, 12:49 AM) *

Back side of dash had some hand writting underneath. I decided to leave it. Maybe it was Fritz's signature back in May '70 ??

Click to view attachment

That writing is the Chassis #

And Welcome to the Houndstooth Club smilie_pokal.gif

T.C.
MDG
I've been following this thread forever it seems; fantastic job doesn't seem high enough praise.

Soon enough you'll be out there trying to dodge flying bugs from desecrating that paint.

Kudos my friend smilie_pokal.gif
davesprinkle
QUOTE(9146FAN @ Jun 28 2009, 10:21 PM) *

Last shot of the peddal board installed.

Click to view attachment

Be sure to cover the surface of the wheel well. That's where most of the road noise comes from. That thin piece of sheetmetal is all that's between you and the tire.
Al Meredith
AA has the floor sound pads already cut to size.
9146FAN
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 29 2009, 06:25 AM) *

QUOTE(9146FAN @ Jun 28 2009, 10:15 PM) *

No kiddin? What (and how) do they charge for that stuff? Id it by the square foot?

The Honda product only comes in 48" square sheets. The pic I posted shows the part number. It is packaged in a flat box, not a roll. My local Honda dealer charged me $88.
9146FAN
Got to work in the garage this weekend. The air-box is installed.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
I was lucky to find a new old stock Bosch Blue Tip antenna for 914 on ebay (but I'm sure these antenna's were used for many other models too). Even came with the two keys.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Started to repl internals on the original 914/6 transaxle. Repl all front and rear bearings, side bearings, syncros, and of course converted to side-shifter. I saved the old shifter, linkage, internal selectors and rear cover.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Big wrench is a must.
Click to view attachment

Back together.
Click to view attachment
9146FAN
another pic of finished transaxle.
Click to view attachment

I received the restored gauges from North Hollywood Speedometer; their work is beautiful. The combo gauge is original, the speedo is new 914, and the tach is '70 911E (I asked NHS to move the redline to 7200 to match the Distributor). I'll keep the original 914/6 gauges.
Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Gauges installed.

Click to view attachment
MDG
Magnificent.
ChicagoPete
I am really admiring your work, this car is turning out absolutely gorgeous!

I have two questions for you:

1.Since I see you are using ALOT of NOS parts, what are you using for seals?

2.What did you do for a dash? Is that an original or a recover? If it is a recover, what is your opinion of the quality?

Peter
9146FAN
Pete-

Thank you sooo much for the compliment. I've seen your work so I'm humbled that you approve.

The seals (weatherstrips) are all genuine. I've looked at the repros which are good, but I believe there is no substitute for OE. Of course the problem is they're always expensive, and can be challenging to locate.

The dash is genuine, however I believe this is one of the last production runs which Porsche made proboble in the '80's but I don't know that for a fact. I bought this dash from Camp 914 about three years ago.

Are you building another 914?

Eddie
ChicagoPete
Eddie,

For the time being there is not another car in the works. But, that doesn't mean I am not accumulating all the appropriate parts. The chassis is the easy part to find. The parts are another story.

I have to agree with you 100% there is nothing like OEM...and that is one of the reasons I am biding my time...collecting as much OEM stuff first, rather than paying up for it, when you need immediately in the middle of a build. Made that mistake once, easier to have as much collected before you start.

I was curious about your seals, if you were using aftermarket would have liked your opinion, but, you just reinforced my thoughts, buy original.

Same goes for the dash...keeping my eye out for a REALLY good early dash. The one that went into my car was NOS as well, had it for at least 12 years.

Keep up the great work on your car, I look forward to seeing the thing getting finished.

Peter

9146FAN
Been workin on the six, but slackin on the pics. Here are some updates;

Gagues rebuilt by NHWS, and odo set to 0. I gues that makes this six TMU! Oh well... I never knew the true miles anyway.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Gauges installed.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
another dash pic.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Lower dash, new leather steering wheel and some of the NOS carpet pieces installed.
Click to view attachment
9146FAN
starting headlight install.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
The other side.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Headlight completed with new Hella's, hardware atc. These are a BIG PITA to adjust!
Click to view attachment
9146FAN
the otherside. Also PITA to adjust.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
6 new rubber tits to hold the lower covers in place. They also require slight adjusting of the metal tabs in order to make the gaps uniform.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Gaps look good. This was a 6 hour project. I'm shure the factory workers were more efficient when installing the headlights.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Other side gaps.
Click to view attachment
Socalandy
pray.gif

Man I cant wait to start my 6 journey, Just like you've done only Canary Yellow biggrin.gif

Truly Awsome smilie_pokal.gif
9146FAN
ebay score. a NOS Bosch blue-tip antenna w/ keys for the 914 (and others I'm sure). These were probobly used on many cars of the period. Surprisingly, this car had a blue-tip on it, but it was trashed.
Click to view attachment
9146FAN
a little more work in the front trunk.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Original Porsche Fox wheels, 16x7 refinished by Harvey. Anodized outer rim surface, satin inner rim surface and mat black centers. I added the valve stem supports and the orange lettering biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
9146FAN
rear

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Holy Shit!! It's a roller. I think it's been five years since this car sat on its own wheels.

Click to view attachment
johnnie5
WOW! Extremely impressive! That is one of the most beautiful labor's of love I think I have ever seen. As previously stated, and obviously some of the most meticulous attention to detail I believe I have ever seen.

Congratulations on your project, you must be very proud. It looks like you are down to the short strokes.... New Years unveiling?
NS914
QUOTE(9146FAN @ Feb 22 2009, 08:46 PM) *

These Fog Lights are the ones usually used on the early 911's with the thru-the-grill set-up. I know the 914 units are black, but I think these'll brighten up the front bumper area along with new chrome Fog Light grills.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hi,

Amazing build a fantastic color choice. Can yo confirm the part number on the fog / driving lights. I would like to get the exact same style. I like how they fit so flush to the front.

Regards,

Grant

gopack
WOW looks like it should be on the new car showroom! GREAT work!
cal44
I'm a picky old bastard. But even this makes me look like a slob.......

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.