Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangerine Six Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
FourBlades

This is an awesome build, love the car.

I wish someone would sell a complete plated hardware, nut and bolt kit for 914s.

That would be a big seller for sure.

How long will zinc plated hardware retain its color in a well cared for (but driven)
car? Does the zinc corrode over time?

John
9146FAN
Got my butt out to the garage today and installed the lower control arms and cross member. I think they're the originals, they had no rust, but I took them to bare metal and painted them with mat epoxy. The steering rack cleaned-up nicely. I will install a new set of Turbo Tie Rods too.

The struts are NOS Bilsteins. Of course I installed new ball-joints. Calipers are rear 968 which were modified to fit the 3.5" struts.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
The freshly plated yellow zinks looks a little too nice... NOT

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Inside Gas Tank area where steering rack connects.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Sep 2 2008, 06:44 AM) *

This is an awesome build, love the car.

I wish someone would sell a complete plated hardware, nut and bolt kit for 914s.

That would be a big seller for sure.

How long will zinc plated hardware retain its color in a well cared for (but driven)
car? Does the zinc corrode over time?

John

John-

I have no idea how long the plating will last. When I took the car apart, there was a lot of visable yellow plating. Most of it was pretty nasty though.

Eddie

TJB/914
9146FAN

Wow, This is the first time I saw your post. Beautiful workmanship and attention to detail. I am really impressed and congratulations on your project. I love the color.

Tom
9146FAN
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Sep 28 2008, 09:02 PM) *

9146FAN

Wow, This is the first time I saw your post. Beautiful workmanship and attention to detail. I am really impressed and congratulations on your project. I love the color.

Tom

Tom-

Thanks for lookin'. The deatail is the reason it's so slow going for me.

I was checkin' your thread too. That's a lota werk you're doing, and it looks like you're doing it the right way. Keep up the great werk.

Eddie
9146FAN
Also painted the orig coil and put the new stickers on.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Got the back glass (w/ defroster) and New lower seal installed today.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
New brake fluid resivoir with supplyy lines and a clear plastic over-flow hose (from Pet Smart).

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
A new piece of felt and a new rubber seal for the bulkhead.
Click to view attachment
9146FAN
New front rotors with freshly powder-coated front hubs. New bearings and seals. I had to go with 18mm clamp-nuts and thrust washers due to the late-style Bilstein struts.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Fuchs were restored by Harvey. I asked for this finish which is slightly brighter on the lip. The rim is more frosted, and the center simi-gloss black. If I remember, Harvey said this was on original style used on 15" in mid '70's. These are 7x16.

I really like the look and just set one on the hub to see what it looks like.

Looks great to me.

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
drooley.gif This will be one of the nicest cars.... if you ever finish biggrin.gif

Looking very good so far though wink.gif
kconway
Wow, I can't wait to see your car on the street. beer.gif
rick 918-S
Very nice work! popcorn[1].gif
plymouth37
Very nice, this car is going to be amazing.
Those are some awesome brakes you got there!
9146FAN
Had a few spare hours this weekend and got some stuff done.

NOS Proportioning Valve

Click to view attachment

Installed with new hard lines too.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Also installed new stainless fuel lines. I couldn't put that plastic Crap back in.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Mounted the fuel pump.

Click to view attachment
pete-stevers
that is one clean mean machine!! happy11.gif
keep up the great work cool_shades.gif
9146FAN
Got a NOS heater valve...
Click to view attachment
9146FAN
and rebuilt the pedal assembley and started to install...
Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Trunk shot. Lot's of sanding to make it look like this...

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
I had some spare time this weekend to assemble the trailing-arms. New bearings, fresh plating on hardware and the original 6 hubs and stub-axles.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Installed new Turbo Tie-Rods

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Cleaned the Torsion-Bar adgusters and lubed with anit-seize grease.

Click to view attachment
kconway
What did you rebush the rear trailing arms with? They look like rubber.
Kev
9146FAN
they're OG bushings. Rubber.

How's it going in the LBC?
kconway
QUOTE(9146FAN @ Jan 26 2009, 08:52 PM) *

Rubber, I should have known it would be OG. biggrin.gif

I'm up in El Dorado Park Estates and I commute to work down Los Al Blvd with eyes wide open for your car. drooley.gif
9146FAN
QUOTE(kconway @ Jan 26 2009, 08:58 PM) *

QUOTE(9146FAN @ Jan 26 2009, 08:52 PM) *

Rubber, I should have known it would be OG. biggrin.gif

I'm up in El Dorado Park Estates and I commute to work down Los Al Blvd with eyes wide open for your car. drooley.gif

Maybe another year before this baby's on the road, and then, weekends only.
Mr.242

WOW. Fine work!

I want to know if you are selling tickets for the Release of this beast?

Pick a completion day and I wouldn't mind being in the front row to watch this one roll out of your garage!

Porsche Factory didn't put this much love into their Six machines.....

Great work! aktion035.gif

I just know that there is an amazing woman behind you on this one! KUDOS to her! pray.gif

ericread
QUOTE(9146FAN @ Nov 9 2008, 09:02 PM) *

Fuchs were restored by Harvey. I asked for this finish which is slightly brighter on the lip. The rim is more frosted, and the center simi-gloss black. If I remember, Harvey said this was on original style used on 15" in mid '70's. These are 7x16.

Looks great to me.

Click to view attachment

This is a restored "Fuchs" wheel???

Gint
This thread is like watching mine being put back together (in my dreams!).

Beautiful work!
degreeoff
OK this car was on a shelf somewhere for the last 30 somthin years right? you just took it apart and cleaned it.......no way you redid everything so clean and neat...right? I mean I am right , right?....lol looks too good to drive. I can help design a nice glass case if you wish...

Josh
9146FAN
QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 27 2009, 06:56 AM) *

Looks great to me.

Click to view attachment

This is a restored "Fuchs" wheel???

Yep, they're the real-deal Fuchs.
greenie
This is one beautiful car, you & our Rdauenhauer have really got it going, works of art !

I'm working on a project myself, what did you use as undercoating on the pan & wheel wells? I like the idea of texture for durability. ( & less sanding).

Keep up the great work.
AgPete139
Wow, gorgeous. Subscribing to your thread now.
Maltese Falcon

Looks great to me.

Click to view attachment

Nice progress on the restoration !
Could I get a contact # or email for Harvey /the wheel guy.
Thx, Marty
Lou W
Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread, absolutley beautiful. smile.gif

popcorn[1].gif
ssstikircr
My hat is off to you.... You are doing a FANTASTIC job. I look forward to seeing more!!!
pray.gif
9146FAN
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 28 2009, 06:47 PM) *

Looks great to me.

Click to view attachment

Nice progress on the restoration !
Could I get a contact # or email for Harvey /the wheel guy.
Thx, Marty

PM sent
9146FAN
QUOTE(greenie @ Jan 28 2009, 09:00 AM) *

This is one beautiful car, you & our Rdauenhauer have really got it going, works of art !

I'm working on a project myself, what did you use as undercoating on the pan & wheel wells? I like the idea of texture for durability. ( & less sanding).

Keep up the great work.

The texture on the bottom of the pan, wheel wells and seam seals is the factory stuff.

During media-blasting, while on the rotisserie, all paint and primer was removed using aluminum oxide powder. The pressure was turned down on the textured areas removing only the paint and primer. The remaining texture was an off-white rubber material that I am sure is the factory stuff. There were some touch-up spots on the bottom of the pan. I used Wurth seam sealer with the Wurth seam seal gun.

I believe all 914's were built with this ruberized coating which was primed and painted in body color.

Have fun with your project.

Thanks for the compliment,

Eddie

BTW, what is a Rdauenhauer ?
greenie
QUOTE(9146FAN @ Jan 29 2009, 08:35 PM) *

QUOTE(greenie @ Jan 28 2009, 09:00 AM) *

Keep up the great work.

The texture on the bottom of the pan, wheel wells and seam seals is the factory stuff.

During media-blasting, while on the rotisserie, all paint and primer was removed using aluminum oxide powder. The pressure was turned down on the textured areas removing only the paint and primer. The remaining texture was an off-white rubber material that I am sure is the factory stuff. There were some touch-up spots on the bottom of the pan. I used Wurth seam sealer with the Wurth seam seal gun.

I believe all 914's were built with this ruberized coating which was primed and painted in body color.

Have fun with your project.

Thanks for the compliment,

Eddie

BTW, what is a Rdauenhauer ?

rdauenhauer= Pacific Northwest guy ( Rich ) doing an immaculate restoration of his creamsicle.

Thanks for the info on the undercoating.
9146FAN
I hade some time to start on the rear suspension.

Here's the new Bilsteins. Thank's Gunner!

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
The suspension starts to take shape.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
9146FAN
Rebuilt rear calipers (yup, real 6). Rebuild done by Eric Shea. Thanks again Eric!
Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Replated backing plates and related hardware
Click to view attachment
9146FAN
New Rotors
Click to view attachment

E Brake cable Prophylactic (HaHa)
Click to view attachment

With Calipers and new lines installed
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.