914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
carr914
QUOTE(9146FAN @ Nov 22 2009, 11:09 PM) *

Original Porsche Fox wheels, I added the orange lettering biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

That's a Cool little touch
jim_hoyland
Great looking Eddie; looks like you will be on the road by the Hangover Run Jan 1
burton73
Going through your work just now was quite a ride. I do not have the right words to say to you on your car but that is one CLEAN mother.

Bob

piratenanner.gif
9146FAN
QUOTE(NS914 @ Nov 23 2009, 07:02 AM) *

QUOTE(9146FAN @ Feb 22 2009, 08:46 PM) *

These Fog Lights are the ones usually used on the early 911's with the thru-the-grill set-up. I know the 914 units are black, but I think these'll brighten up the front bumper area along with new chrome Fog Light grills.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hi,

Amazing build a fantastic color choice. Can yo confirm the part number on the fog / driving lights. I would like to get the exact same style. I like how they fit so flush to the front.

Regards,

Grant

Grant-

Sorry, I tossed the box and didn't record the part number. I can tell you these are the exact same Hella lights used on the 914 with the exception that these housings are chrome.

It is my understanding that the chrome lights were used on the "through-the-grill" upper fog-lights in the long-hood 911's of the same era. The 914 used the black painted versions.

I came across these while looking for some new or perfect black ones. These will not be "correct", but I like 'em.

Thanks for the compliment.

Eddie
Socalandy
This thread is like crack, I just cant stop looking at it drooley.gif
Krieger
Eddie, your car is amazing! Great work!
campbellcj
Wow, this car is sick!!! In a good way of course...a very good way. Please keep the updates flowing.
Rav914
Amazing work, really first rate.

Makes me want to roll my cars off a cliff.
johnnie5
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Nov 24 2009, 08:43 AM) *

Makes me want to roll my cars off a cliff.

blink.gif
Rav914
Out of shame for not measuring up to this standard.
JazonJJordan
True Excellence Eddie.

You, not the car. shades.gif

It becomes the product of your diligence;

a testament to achievable restoration.

Kargeek
Outstanding Job, I can appreciate the effort you are going through and I hope you are enjoying every minute of it.

What size tires are you running on the 16x7's"

Dave
9146FAN
QUOTE(Kargeek @ Nov 25 2009, 12:55 PM) *

Outstanding Job, I can appreciate the effort you are going through and I hope you are enjoying every minute of it.

What size tires are you running on the 16x7's"

Dave

Dave-

I have seen your six many times, it is one of the very best. If i'm not mistaken, you're running a 3.2 or 3.6?? Thank you for your kind compliment.

Yes, I'm enjoying every minute.

The tire size is: 195-55-R-16. They tires are Michelin Pilot-Primacy. The contact patch is smaller than the 205's. The 205's would not fit with the 7" rims and stock bodywork.

I really wanted to run on 16X7's because I like the look, but didn't want to modify the quarter panels, the body of this car was accident and rust free (except eng. shelf) so I just couldn't do it. I did have to roll the rear wheel-well openings on the top, then did a test-fit before i dissasembled the car and everthing worked without touching the inner or outer body work.

My vision of this car is to look like it did in 1970 with the exception of the rims.

I will report on the traction / handling once the car is on the road. I expect it to be easy to brake loose with 200HP and stock 901 w/ stock diff...

Eddie
Kargeek
Dave-

I have seen your six many times, it is one of the very best. If i'm not mistaken, you're running a 3.2 or 3.6?? Thank you for your kind compliment.

Eddie,

My car is a six look -a-like - six suspension, GT brakes, six valance and exaust tip etc...with a 4cyl. I built the car 20 years ago with mostly NOS parts from Gary Emorys then dealer overstock warehouse of parts. I may convert it someday... with a high reving 2.4, short gears and a sport muffler...I have some of the parts.

You live in Rosmore...I have a good friend in your neighborhood, Gary Rafferty.

Enjoy your build!

Dave
9146FAN
QUOTE(Kargeek @ Nov 25 2009, 09:36 PM) *

Dave-

Eddie,

My car is a six look -a-like - six suspension, GT brakes, six valance and exaust tip etc...with a 4cyl. I built the car 20 years ago with mostly NOS parts from Gary Emorys then dealer overstock warehouse of parts. I may convert it someday... with a high reving 2.4, short gears and a sport muffler...I have some of the parts.

You live in Rosmore...I have a good friend in your neighborhood, Gary Rafferty.

Enjoy your build!

Dave-

I was looking at your avatar which looks like white six I've seen, especially the rear valance. Your car is super nice and very clean.

There's a lot of car guys here in Rossmoor, but I don't know Gary. Is he into Porsche's?

Eddie

Dave
johnnie5
icon_bump.gif After reading Marv's thread, I just thought this one should be bumped as well. Two of the most interesting builds I have seen on this site.... Along with Chappy and Rick's Alien.
sgrisanti
I'm doing an original six and want to let you know that yours look superb! Great job....Any more photos of how you did the black on the targa bar and sides? When did you cut the holes for the trim?

Is the wooden dolly strong enough to wheel onto a flatbeb or was it just used in a shop?
9146FAN
Thanks for the compliment.

Sorry, the pics of the side vinyl are the only ones I have. The holes in the body are original. I cut the holes in the vinyl with a very narrow exacto knife after the vinyl was glued in place.

I built that wood dolly with my kid in about an hour. I would not trust it to use on a flatbed. The bare chassis was on a flatbed three times; for that I used four regular furniture dolly's with no problem. BTW, a bare chassis can be carried easilly by four adults.

I will post some new pics when I figure out how to use my new camera and PC.

Please post some pics of your project if you have a chance and good luck with your project.

Eddie

QUOTE(sgrisanti @ May 21 2010, 05:54 AM) *

I'm doing an original six and want to let you know that yours look superb! Great job....Any more photos of how you did the black on the targa bar and sides? When did you cut the holes for the trim?

Is the wooden dolly strong enough to wheel onto a flatbeb or was it just used in a shop?

Mr.242
???????Anyone?????????

What's the status of this build? I miss reading about the updates!
9146FAN
Ok; I've been lazy about updating this post. No more excuses, so on with the engine compartment.

New plastic stopper's...

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
New Heat Exchanger OMG!

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Another pic...

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
The other side

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Test-fitting the heat exchangers to the motor just to make sure there weren't any surprises since I want to install the engine with them off to assure no damage to those beauties.

Also you can see that I machined a little off of the ribs on the valve covers. I know you can do half only (where the suspension consol is tight) but I thought it looked cleaner to shave them evenly.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Other side test fit.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Engine finally off the engine stand.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Getting things ready to go together.

BTW, the rear bumper and new OE top installed now.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Used the two floor jack system to get it all in.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
It's in... 3 bolts.

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
With the New Webers...

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Oil line hook-up and heat exchanger installed.

Click to view attachment

9146FAN
Looking good from the under-side. Side shift conversion completed and adjusted perfectly. Cables, ground-strap etc. all connected

Exhaust has never passed through those beautiful heat excnagers...

Click to view attachment
Krieger
Very nice!
9146FAN
Rear view with the new plastic air cleaner installed.

Click to view attachment
MDG
Perfect.

Your knack for acquiring NOS treasures is staggering. Like everyone else, I keep waiting for updates and when they happen I always end up going, "OMG, he's found those too!?!"

mike
veltror
stunning...
Root_Werks
drooley.gif
Cairo94507
One of the most incredible builds I have ever seen. My hat is off to you and I am bowing. I just love this thread and it is the example I hope to follow when it is time to restore my '71 914-6. Just leaves me speechless. I can't wait to see more pictures - please.
rwilner
UPDATE PLEASE
PlaysWithCars
Beautiful restoration! I'm sure the results are spectacular in person, there doesn't appear to be any short cuts taken. Your commitment to the high quality of this project is inspiring.

QUOTE(MDG @ Aug 9 2010, 04:57 AM) *

Your knack for acquiring NOS treasures is staggering. Like everyone else, I keep waiting for updates and when they happen I always end up going, "OMG, he's found those too!?!"

agree.gif

One off, lucky finds, are just that: one off and lucky. But you have too many of them on this project for them all to be luck; you've got skills. Do you have a list of your sources for anything that wasn't a one off find? How about a 'how to' book, "Mining for Unobtanium"? I'd buy a copy.
gothspeed
WOW!!!! Fantastic job!!!!!!!!!! Since you are in Rossmoor, that means I may be lucky enough to see it on the street biggrin.gif!!!!

I am in the east side of long beach by the 405/605 interchange.

BTW what size tires did you go with? The profile looks great!!! I will be going 16" wheels as well.
9146FAN
Thanks to all for the kind feedback. I am sorry I have not been good about updating this thread. Rest assured, I am making progress, hopefully I will get back to more pics soon.

No real secrets to report on sourcing parts. Ebay is a great source and I couldn't have done this level of restoration without Auto Atlanta.

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Oct 17 2010, 11:32 AM) *

Beautiful restoration! I'm sure the results are spectacular in person, there doesn't appear to be any short cuts taken. Your commitment to the high quality of this project is inspiring.

QUOTE(MDG @ Aug 9 2010, 04:57 AM) *

agree.gif

One off, lucky finds, are just that: one off and lucky. But you have too many of them on this project for them all to be luck; you've got skills. Do you have a list of your sources for anything that wasn't a one off find? How about a 'how to' book, "Mining for Unobtanium"? I'd buy a copy.

9146FAN
Thanks and sounds like we're very close to eachother. I hope to be on the road by year-end.

The tires are Michelin Pilot Primacy 195-55-R16. I test fitted them while the original car was still on the road. They fit great, and I like the look of these on the 7" Fuchs. I believe these are standard for the Mini Cooper??

I am expecting wheel-spin as the contact patch on the 195's are minimal. I will know the extent when it's on the road.

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Oct 17 2010, 11:51 AM) *

WOW!!!! Fantastic job!!!!!!!!!! Since you are in Rossmoor, that means I may be lucky enough to see it on the street biggrin.gif!!!!

I am in the east side of long beach by the 405/605 interchange.

BTW what size tires did you go with? The profile looks great!!! I will be going 16" wheels as well.

9146FAN,
Your attention to detail is amazing,Really nice...
I own a really clean six,How did you attach the fuel
rail line to the body?? Only one Original clip is holding mine.
Where did you find them??
Take Care,Alan
9146FAN
QUOTE(914 @ Oct 19 2010, 10:20 PM) *

9146FAN,
Take Care,Alan

Alan-

Your avatar looks like an awesome six. Like to see some pics.

PET shows the clips as 999 951 335 40. I used the ones that came with my car, they were perfectly usable. I think I read somewhere they were sourced from VW though?

Eddie
Eddie,
Thanks for the reply.Ive been looking for the clips
to no avail.. Does anyone have some out there??
Again really nice job on your six.You look like
a detail guy like me. smile.gif
Alan

QUOTE(9146FAN @ Oct 20 2010, 08:08 PM) *

QUOTE(914 @ Oct 19 2010, 10:20 PM) *

9146FAN,
Take Care,Alan

Alan-

Your avatar looks like an awesome six. Like to see some pics.

PET shows the clips as 999 951 335 40. I used the ones that came with my car, they were perfectly usable. I think I read somewhere they were sourced from VW though?

Eddie

JohnC914
I have just been thro all 13 pages and suddenly it's stopped....It really is an inspiration to us all. I guess this is what they call "Museum Quality"! Do hope it goes even half as good as it looks. Well done Sir.

Any chance of an update? PLEASE.

9146FAN
Camera with updated pics was lost for a while and found by our son. Thanks for all the requests for updates, here are a few:

Rear axles; NOS Real 914/6 CV joints, replated hardware, new washers and clips:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
Believe it or not... NOS 914 Sun Visors, perfect for this project:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
9146FAN
New Sigla (made in Austria) windshield, New OE aluminum moldings, new OE clips, and of course a NOS correct early-type slim mirror. Local installer did the installation:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.