Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spoke's 71 2.056L 914 Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Spoke
After EZ Off...

Click to view attachment

I quick polished one of them. Can you tell which one?

Click to view attachment
Spoke
Added the decel valve to the engine. I was getting backfiring on high rev (4K RPM) deceleration.

I read on pbanders rennlist FI site that the decel valve was designed to allow more air into the plenum on high vacuum conditions to get the fuel to burn more efficiently. It worked as the backfiring has stopped.

I adjusted the opening to about 15psi vacuum which is a little low since the engine hangs sometimes at 1800 RPM instead of returning to idle. I've adjusted it up a little to allow return to idle speed.

Click to view attachment

Installed the booster fan for the heater. Getting cold these days. Yep, that's PVC tubing for the warm air guides.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
Got most of the grind marks off of the one 6x16 wheel. Had to use 80 grit sand paper to get the grind marks out. Damn PO used some sort of power tool to remove the paint/anodizing instead of using chemicals to do the work for him.

Now starting to polish by starting with 220 wet-o-dry sandpaper. Will use 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, then rubbing compound, then polishing compound, then paint.
Spoke
Finally got around to doing some more work on the longs. The bottom of the inner longs were completely gone and the PO spot-brazed some patches on connecting them to the top of the patch on the inner long and the rusty floor.

What I plan to do is remove the patches and securely patch the inner long then put on Engman's inner long support kit.

I left the driver seat in the car and the center console so I used some 1/4 inch plywood to protect the interior from welding splatters.
Spoke
Got the first patch off. Lots of rust and rocks inside the longs. The top of the outer patch piece was never closed up so flying rocks were able to get inside the long along with water. I sprayed as best I could with stop-rust.

Click to view attachment

Now it's all cleaned up and primed for the new, stronger patch. The new patch will be installed from below and will wrap around to the bottom of the long patch. I cut a slice in the bottom of the long patch.

BTW, the entire bottom and outside of the long are one piece of 16-gauge steel the PO bent and welded where the totally gone part of the outer and bottom long went.

Click to view attachment

Here's the bottom of the long. This one piece is the entire bottom of the long and wraps up the outside of the long. Such is the fate of a PA 914 rust bucket.

Click to view attachment

Here is the new patch cut, drilled and primed and ready to be welded in. Unlike a lot of guys who would've cut out all the PO's patches and put in new steel, I have no desire to start over from that point. With the PO's patches, the car was ok solid, not great. The work I've done has really solidified the chassis so far.

I want to drive my 914, not work on it for years. I had it off the road for 2 years changing the engine and tranny. I couldn't fathom taking it off the road for another 2 years to put all new steel in the longs. I know it's not stock but it's getting pretty stiff (That's what she said - Michael Scott) with all the new patches.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
First patch is welded in.
Spoke
Finished polishing the new wheels. Not quite Ed Reed shiny but shiny enough for me. Will clean them up and paint the background.
Spoke
Continuing to reinforce the inner long on the passenger side. The entire long was rusted out on the bottom.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here's the piece that was brazed on and went behind the center brace.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
Got the center plate welded in. Now to work on the front plate. The long was rusted out all the way to the wheel well.
Spoke
Got the front patch panel welded in. The inner long will be further strengthened by Engman's inner long kit. But I have to do the same thing to the driver side. dry.gif
Spoke
Added one piece on to tie the inner long patch to the wheel well.
Spoke
Had a couple of holes in the floor so I cut out most of the rust in that area.

Click to view attachment

Made a new piece just like the old one (except with no rust).

Click to view attachment

And all welded in.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Nice patchwork! Good looking welds!
Spoke
QUOTE(esses62 @ Feb 19 2011, 11:40 PM) *

biggrin.gif Very inspirational.

What tools are you using to shape the metal? Tin Snips, Hands, hammer, Brake?

Thanks, all the metal I'm adding will require me to put a bigger engine in it later. aktion035.gif

I've been using the angle grinder to cut the steel as to not deform it with snips.

Then using various fender hammers and my vice to bend the steel in the right places.
Spoke
Got the Engman's inner long welded on the passenger side. Covers up all those patches on the longs.
Spoke
This access plug was all bent up and loose so I straightened the floor and plug and welded it on.

Spoke
So I just noticed this patch that was brazed on. Off with the patch and will weld in a new piece. Also need to finish attaching the cross member to the inner long.
Root_Werks
Nice, you'll really like the inner long kit. It makes a big difference. welder.gif
Spoke
Got the wheels painted. Not really happy with the paint job but it will do for now.

For the rest of the 5-lug conversion, I need to:
- Find late 80's 911 strut/hubs/rotors/calipers (have A-Arm & underbody swaybar)
- Redrill rear rotors (have 5-lug hubs & new bearings)
- 19mm master cylinder
- Tires
- Roll the rear fenders for the 7x16 wheels
Spoke
Found another weak spot in the floor and cut it out.

Click to view attachment

Patched the hole and the small strip of floor next to the long.

Click to view attachment

Also patched the hole in front of the crossmember.

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
The wheels look great!

Nice patch work! What ga steel are you using? 14ga?
Spoke
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 1 2011, 10:20 AM) *

The wheels look great!

Nice patch work! What ga steel are you using? 14ga?

Thanks. Compared to what they looked like when I got them, they turned out fantastic. I can't wait to 5-lug the car and mount them.

I'm using 18ga on the floor and body panels and 16ga on the longs. I have a big piece of 14ga that I will put on the outside of the long for further reinforcement.
Spoke
Finished up all the small pieces of the floor next to the inner long.

Also tied in the crossmember.

The passenger side floor is now done unless some more rust-through holes show up.

Andyrew
Wow 18ga really? I didnt realize the floors were so thin.

You really think you'll need another bit of reinforcement after the engman kit? I have the engman kit and it is pretty damn solid. The next step is tieing in the suspension points to the long IMHO
Spoke
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 3 2011, 11:15 AM) *

Wow 18ga really? I didnt realize the floors were so thin.

You really think you'll need another bit of reinforcement after the engman kit? I have the engman kit and it is pretty damn solid. The next step is tieing in the suspension points to the long IMHO

I don't know about what gauge the floors are. I guessed at 18ga since the longs are 16ga I think.

I was thinking about how to better tie the front of the long to the door pillar. Any suggestions?
Andyrew
Hmmm that is a good question, I havent looked at that piece in a while, you got any pics of the area?
Spoke
Cleaning up the front portion of the long. Found 2 holes so time to cut it open.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So this is what is left of the bottom of the long.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
Prepped the area for new metal.

Click to view attachment

Center support done.

Click to view attachment

Outer long is much more solid now.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
welder.gif
Spoke
Where's that home-made tool thread? Here's my temporary metal break. I scored this 14 gauge piece so it would bend easily.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Finished piece ready for installation.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
14 gauge outer clam shell all welded on.
Spoke
Putting the door support back together.

The support plates will help bind the support to the bottom piece.
Click to view attachment

I put a support piece from the top of the long to the door support.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Spoke
Finished the door support. Used 16 gauge for all new metal.
Spoke
For the finishing touch, I put ribs on the outer long. For now I'm finished welding on the passenger long.

Next steps:
o Clean up welds on long.
o Sandblast the rear fender replacement. It will need some new metal.
o Install fender replacement.
o replace sill.
o Paint outer long and door jamb.
Andyrew
Thats a shitload of metal there!

The Ribs were an interesting idea!
FourBlades

Wow, that is a lot of welding! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Very nice work.

John
Spoke
Sandblasted the fender replacement. I knew it was rusted through. Now the damage is obvious. The whole corner of the fender needs replacing.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I will make 4 pieces to do the repair. This is the base plate. Next will be the bottom lip, then the door jamb, then the fender and underside wraparound.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Spoke
My latest purchase. Not bad for $150 delivered to my home.

This is from a 74 and has the 3-inch front calipers.

Rotors will likely need replaced. Front calipers will need rebuilt.

Click to view attachment

Separate purchase. Saves me from widening and rebuilding my existing calipers. These look too nice to use.

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
With the spacers for vented rotors? Nice!!

Talk about a score!
Spoke
Bottom lip is welded on.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now the door jamb piece.

Click to view attachment

Finally the fender piece. Too late tonight to grind the welds down. Good as new.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Spoke
Got around to grinding down the welds on the fender. The repair came out very good.
Spoke
WTF are these appendages? Any guesses?
Spoke
One shortcoming of the inner fender well is that all the rocks and debris kicked up by the tires can end up trapped between the rocker panel and the jack point.

With these brackets I'll attach a rock deflector to keep the jack point relatively clear of debris. I'm thinking of using a plastic-type mudflap for the material. Don't really want to use steel.

Spoke
Well, with all the work I did to the inner and outer longs, I managed to shrink my car by about 1/8 inch such that the passenger door wouldn't close.

After the accident, the door gap was quite small but today when I mounted the door, it wouldn't close. So I had to shorten the rear fender a bit and push the door jamb back a bit.

Click to view attachment

The last piece to attach on the passenger side. I cut the piece to near the right size then used the angle grinder to get it to fit nice. Looks good not to see the big hole in the fender. I bought this piece about 2 years ago.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is the original door sill. I cut off about 5 inches of the back part of this cause it was totally rusted out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Spoke
The last job for now. Finished attaching the door sill.

Click to view attachment

The sill supports are made from 16 gauge steel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I may have added a lot of steel in my rustoration but I took off 26 pounds of steel, rust, and tar.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
The 914 is out of the garage for the first time in 4 months. The metal work is done on the rear fender but bodywork is needed now. The 911 is going in the corner for now and I'll drive the 914 for the time being.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

One fat ass and one narrow one.

Click to view attachment

9fourteen
I see you used weld-through primer on this. How well did that stuff work? Did you always get good welds with it or did you have to remove some of it? What type/brand did you use?

Great job btw. Your project is inspiring me to finally start cutting the rust out of mine.

Thanks,
Don
Spoke
QUOTE(9fourteen @ Jun 10 2011, 03:58 PM) *

I see you used weld-through primer on this. How well did that stuff work? Did you always get good welds with it or did you have to remove some of it? What type/brand did you use?

Great job btw. Your project is inspiring me to finally start cutting the rust out of mine.

Thanks,
Don

Thanks, and BTW,

welcome.png

I don't know what brand I used. The welding wasn't bad through the primer. It does smoke a bit but you do want primer between all the layers of steel or behind panels you can't paint after installation.
porsche_dreamer
Looks like some good progress. The turbo doesnt look to bad either!
Spoke
Got my front M-calipers back from Eric Shea. Wow!

Brake calipers front and rear ready to go for 5-lug conversion. Just need to get new rotors, and sell my 911 rear hubs & half shafts.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.