Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spoke's 71 2.056L 914 Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
timothy_nd28
Been there and tried that, but was never happy with the results. Air core motors are the way to go IMHO
Spoke
Time to add a 3rd brake light to the 914. Don't want a repeat of the rear-ender as documented in the first post of this thread.

I purchased a 12 inch strip from Summit Racing and decided to mount it below the targa trim strip.

Click to view attachment

This is how it will look. I read all the other 3rd brake light threads and one previous 3rd brake light adopter mentioned that a low profile brake light below the targa trim would not interfere with the rear view mirror vision. So this is how I will mount the light.

Click to view attachment

I wanted a secure mounting so I used a small 90 degree angle clip I had laying around. I trimmed off a bit of the targa trim so the clip will mount flush on the trim.

Click to view attachment

Here's how the light will mount. Excuse the nylon nut. It's 1am in PA and nothing is open at this time. BTW, the screw is from an AC socket wall plate. I'll get some nice hardware for the final mounting.

Click to view attachment

Spoke
Used blue painters tape to hold the wires out of the way of the roll hoop seam.

Click to view attachment

Had to file a channel in the roll hoop seam for the wires to pass through. Again tape is used to buffer the wires.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
Connected to the brake circuit at the driver side brake housing. Used a 1-to-2 spade to make an easy connection.

Click to view attachment

Taped the extra wire to the wire bundle about every 3 inches to keep it neat.

Click to view attachment

Used a home made lug to attach LED ground to the chassis.

Click to view attachment

Twisted the wires together to go up under the side grill.

Click to view attachment

Taped the wires to the roll hoop. These will be under the trim piece.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
BTW, I'm using United Pacific 38949B - United Pacific LED Taillight Bar available at Summit Racing. They come in 6, 9, and 12 inch lengths. This is the 12 inch model.

The light bar wires are attached using spades so I can disconnect easily if needed.

Click to view attachment

The lightbar tucks in real nice under the roll trim.

Click to view attachment

The 3rd brake lights are quite bright and should help those behind to see me better. dry.gif

Click to view attachment
Rleog
Thanks for taking the time to post these step by step illustrations. Nicely done.
Spoke
Finally got around to cleaning up and mounting the bumper I picked up at Hershey this year. The new one is the one with the license plate frame.

The old one was a POS bumper I picked up off of eBay for $10 after the accident. The main problem with the old bumper was someone tried to mount a hitch or something on the bumper and put 6 to 8 holes on each side. That's why the front bumperettes were put on the rear bumper.
Spoke
Cleaned up the rear end before installing the new bumper. Need to find a nice tow hole cover now.
Spoke
Mounted an LED turnsignal on the passenger side. I made this PCB over a year ago and never assembled it. This one uses surface mount LEDs and discrete lenses. They're a real pain in the ass to install and very expensive (about $2 per LED + 1$ per lens) but they can be very bright.

Now the passenger side matches the driver side. smile.gif
Spoke
Swapping engines now. Removing the 1.8L with FI and installing a 2056 with dual carbs.

Click to view attachment

Prepping the engine for removal.

Click to view attachment

The carb fuel pump has a pre-pump filter. I'll also use a post pump filter. The return line will be plugged at the engine.

Click to view attachment

Removed the hood in preparation to change the fuel pump to low pressure.

Click to view attachment

Spoke
Tank is lifted to provide access to the fuel pump.

Click to view attachment

I made the fuel lines under the tank long enough to be able to lift the tank out without having to disconnect the lines from underneath the car.

Click to view attachment

I finally located the origins of a minute gas smell. The nipple was leaking ever so slightly. The gas was only noticeable when the car sat for long periods of time.

Click to view attachment

Out with the old and in with the new.

Click to view attachment
effutuo101
Keep it up! Looking good.
Spoke
Engine is out.

Next up:
1) Remove transmission and install on new engine.
2) Remove engine bar and install on new engine.
3) Install new engine.

Spoke
The 2056 engine is in the car and running. piratenanner.gif

This engine has plenty of grunt. I can now feel acceleration in all gears. Totally transforms the car. On local twisties where I used to accelerate all the way from one corner to the next with the 1.8L, I now find myself coasting most of the way since I'm quickly up to the max speed I'm comfortable with.

Had the carb linkage towards the rear of the engine but it hit the rear firewall. Also got the carbs working pretty well. A little stumble coming off of idle but runs real good with the throttle open.

I used the clutch which came with the engine. It was a bit worn but still serviceable. It chatters a lot in 1st gear but is ok to take off in 2nd. I'll need a new clutch, PP, TO bearing, and pivot bushing.
Hoppie944s2
Interested in selling the rear bumper you are not using?
Spoke
QUOTE(Hoppie944s2 @ Oct 12 2015, 12:07 PM) *

Interested in selling the rear bumper you are not using?

You can have it for free if you want. You have to pick it up though. The bumperettes are on there to cover up about 6-8 holes on each side where a PO mounted a hitch.
Hoppie944s2
Ill take it! will send you a PM.
Rob
cgnj
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 17 2010, 07:12 PM) *

I made a center console (actually this is the 2nd one) from wood using the original as a starting template.

The sides are high enough that they wedge in between the floor and the dash and thus do not need any securing straps.

I made the opening for the shifter to use the original shifter boot so I don't need one of the vinyl console ones.

An original gauge faceplate sits right in the slot of the bottom panel and just rests between the 2 side panels.

@SPOKE

What did you use to upholster the panels Did you glue or staple them?

Spoke
QUOTE(cgnj @ Dec 19 2023, 11:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 17 2010, 07:12 PM) *

I made a center console (actually this is the 2nd one) from wood using the original as a starting template.

The sides are high enough that they wedge in between the floor and the dash and thus do not need any securing straps.

I made the opening for the shifter to use the original shifter boot so I don't need one of the vinyl console ones.

An original gauge faceplate sits right in the slot of the bottom panel and just rests between the 2 side panels.

@SPOKE

What did you use to upholster the panels Did you glue or staple them?

@cgnj

No upholstery. Just wood. I started with finished plywood and carefully routed the edges and sanded smooth. Finished with a matte black paint job.
930cabman
I just came across this restoration thread, great documenting. Are you still running the red car with the carb'd 2056? still have the 930?
Spoke
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 22 2023, 06:39 PM) *

I just came across this restoration thread, great documenting. Are you still running the red car with the carb'd 2056? still have the 930?

Yes on both cars. Had the 914 out twice today but the 930 is in the early stages of engine drop. I crossthreaded #2 spark plug and the engine has 160k on the clock and leaks oil out of every interface. Turbo burns oil too. I'm planning to take the engine and trans to Mark Epstein's shop for teardown.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.