rick 918-S
smile.gif
pete
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jan 8 2009, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jan 8 2009, 11:13 AM) *

Here's a couple things:

The first is a super cheap and effective DIY Soda Blaster

The other is just a couple Spark Plug Tools that make changing the plugs easier

I like your soda blaster. For cleaning the carburetor you showed, how much soda did you end up using?

I made up a soda blaster last weekend and used it on my transaxle. I spent about an hour blasting. Worked great. I positioned a fairly large fan behind me to blow the soda across the back yard. Looked like it snowed LOL. 20 gal Craftsman shop compressor did the trick. 5lb bag of soda from Costco was $5. I used maybe half the bag. I noticed when I was done that the soda basically blasted off the end of the hose though.
sean_v8_914
home made hot jet wash cabinet. 170 deg water, 200psi spray thru 50+ jets spraying top, side and bottom
damn near eveything came out of the trash the surplus store or HD racing.
turntable can hold 1000 lbs, spins 10 rpm, chain driven, gear reduction motor. the chain was the most expensive part bought from mc master carr about $50 for the cogs and chain. motor drive w reduction $10 K-surplus
pump was thrown away from Croc center community pool filter that failed (they thought) I re-bushed it and re-packed the shaft gland, added pump cooling line(HD racing $5)
relays were from the trash outside the recycling center
thermal couple and time sw were on some machine at the dump...I dont know what
HD racing heater elements 2ea 220v 4000w
220v 40 amp plug was on some machine thing at the metal scap yard
220 to 110 transformer was in the back of the scap mans truck
I bought the steel cabinet in irvine. I be its 50 yrs old
sean_v8_914
cut and paste trash and leftover paint and some shelves that Sue thought I should make something with
sean_v8_914
adjustable door bars . they slide in and out. the clamp is just to provide extra hold because the turn buckles are weak
larss
Low profile (2") engine trolley with swing wheels. I use it for engine drop/lift with threaded bars in the front (for security and engine guidance) and a jack in the front and one jack at the rear.

/Lars S

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

jimkelly
just making sure someone else's genious is included here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=116303

jim
URY914
I made this slide hammer to drive out rear bearings.

Click to view attachment
Hontec
Does this contraption qualify as a home made tool for the 914? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

IPB Image
914itis
QUOTE(Hontec @ Mar 4 2011, 12:11 PM) *

Does this contraption qualify as a home made tool for the 914? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

IPB Image

I think that this contraption shows that you are in the making of a 914 manufaturing plant.. you are getting close... let the world know if you need extra help.

Nice piece of equipment aktion035.gif
majkos
sorry, Hontec, you'are way overqualify
and your "Home made" contraption was built by over100 engineers
working all together at once.

Hell yes! this count! beerchug.gif
Can I borrow it when you're done? welder.gif
Jeffs9146
OK, We like credit!! drunk.gif

I mentioned this tool in an old thread! beerchug.gif Its in post #19!

I think Brad or Andy told me that one back in the begining 2003 or 2004 before World at that other place!! blink.gif

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 3 2011, 07:15 PM) *

just making sure someone else's genious is included here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=116303

jim
smontanaro
QUOTE(Hontec @ Mar 4 2011, 11:11 AM) *

What is it, a homemade Celette+914 fixtures?

S
Hontec
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Mar 4 2011, 07:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Hontec @ Mar 4 2011, 11:11 AM) *

What is it, a homemade Celette+914 fixtures?

S

jep, that's it....
rick 918-S
I had the chevy guys install new valve guides in this set of otherwise perfect 2.0 heads. Let's face it. Any shop that has ever worked on a set of aluminum heads which are very common now can preform basic head work. Some shops charge more for the mystery of machine work.

They couldn't fly cut them though. They didn't have the machine for it. Hey their chevy guys and know their limit. I looked closely at these heads and it appeared they were more stained than had any real issue that would require machine work.

So I thought about it for a while and decided to try to dress these myself. I took a piece of melamine and cut out a circle. The stuff is very flat.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
I ran a couple of screws through it to use as a twisting handle. I used 240 grit sand paper.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
This is after a few minutes of work. I used a twisting motion holding pressure on the disc. Seriously, it took me longer to resize the photos and make this post than to dress this head. This most likely isn't Jake and Len approved but I knew there was no good reason to cut a bunch of material off these heads.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
URY914
Nice job, Rick. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Thats pretty trick Rick!
recko911
I am having trouble installing the rollers for the torsion bars for the rear deck lid. I've seen the pelican parts article but does anybody have picture of the tool to make installation easier.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(recko911 @ Mar 6 2011, 10:31 PM) *

I am having trouble installing the rollers for the torsion bars for the rear deck lid. I've seen the pelican parts article but does anybody have picture of the tool to make installation easier.

I made one. I have it here someplace. It was kind of a sideways pickle fork thing. But really a box end wrench works. I've used a vise grip too.
recko911
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 6 2011, 08:39 PM) *

I made one. I have it here someplace. It was kind of a sideways pickle fork thing. But really a box end wrench works. I've used a vise grip too.

A pic would be great

Which side do you install first I've had lots of trouble
rick 918-S
QUOTE(recko911 @ Mar 6 2011, 10:43 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 6 2011, 08:39 PM) *

A pic would be great

Which side do you install first I've had lots of trouble

I'll see if I can find the tool tomorrow. It shouldn't make any difference which side you do first. All you have to do is flex the spring enough to slide the roller past the spring rod.
euro911
A lot of great tools you guys have come up with! beerchug.gif I'm gonna build some of them idea.gif

Here's a 911 engine run stand I built back in the 70's. Bus transaxle bell housing and a hefty V-8 stand (as others here have also done)
Click to view attachment

... and another run stand I started building a few years ago ... and still need to finish
Click to view attachment
Bartlett 914
Here is my latest addition to my tool stash. Camber measurement tool.
Andyrew
That doesnt look very home made... smile.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 26 2011, 06:15 PM) *

That doesnt look very home made... smile.gif

Thanks!
Elliot Cannon
This one is home made, just not for the car. I got tired of falling on my old medicare ass pulling the airplane out of the hangar. Powered tugs are $2000 to $6000, so I made this one for $250. I bought a 12 volt hoist from Shanghai Tool Supply, (Harbor Freight) removed the cable and cable drum, welded on a sprocket. Bought the wheel, tire and hardware and welded it out of 1 inch square tubing. welder.gif It moved the car OK but I haven't actually tried it with the plane yet. Hope the damn thing works.
Cheers, Elliot
Andyrew
Thats pretty darn cool!!
sixnotfour
Upon completion of a job well done--- Here is an essential tool------The Jug Mug beer.gif
rnellums
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 27 2011, 08:17 PM) *

Upon completion of a job well done--- Here is an essential tool------The Jug Mug beer.gif

That thing is sick!
McMark
Exhaust 'leakdown' tester. I grabbed a Jim-Cap from the hardware store, drilled and tapped a piece of scrap metal, and threaded in the air connector. You have to pull the rockers so all valves are closed, but you can really lock down any exhaust leaks with this setup.

BTW, this pic is a 912E which has our same Type4 engine.
76-914
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 28 2011, 10:20 AM) *

Exhaust 'leakdown' tester. I grabbed a Jim-Cap from the hardware store, drilled and tapped a piece of scrap metal, and threaded in the air connector. You have to pull the rockers so all valves are closed, but you can really lock down any exhaust leaks with this setup.

BTW, this pic is a 912E which has our same Type4 engine.

Cool. BTW, they're Gem Caps.
kconway

This one is badass! Let me know if this ever goes into production mode!
kconway

This one is badass! Let me know if this ever goes into production mode!

I like it so much I guess I had to say it twice?

Wonder if it's my provider or is the site a little slow on the replies? confused24.gif
TargaToy
Two-way feeler gauge for adjusting both intake or exhaust valves simultaneously on a 16V Honda V4 motorcycle.

Click to view attachment

Jeffs9146
Had to make a new tool today!!

My accelerator cable was sticking at about 7" into the back of the tube and I couldn't get the new cable through. After 10-15 different attempts to unblock the tube with stuff welded onto cables I came up with this!

It took about 30 seconds and now the cable slides in!! piratenanner.gif

Here is one of the early attempts and the final version!

gms
I had to remove some 66mm wheel studs so i could install 100mm studs.
the hex head screw pushed the stud out of the back of the hub with out removing the hub! I had to keep welding more reinforcement because it was bending.Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

and the new 100mm stud installed
Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
I did steel railing on my deck, and this was a scrap piece, but it worked perfectly for removing CV bolts and stub axle nuts. I happened to have this as scrap, but a similar tool could be made plate or steel bar. Hell, a broom handle might work.
Click to view attachment
carr914
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 7 2011, 07:01 PM) *

I had to remove some 66mm wheel studs so i could install 100mm studs.
the hex head screw pushed the stud out of the back of the hub with out removing the hub! I had to keep welding more reinforcement because it was bending.Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

and the new 100mm stud installed
Click to view attachment

Glenn, you want to rent that out?

T.C.
gms
T. C.
It is all yours, just shoot me your address.
it is not pretty but it worked... however the 20 page users manual is $68.99 av-943.gif
majkos
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 8 2011, 01:27 PM) *

T. C.
it is not pretty but it worked... however the 20 page users manual is $68.99 av-943.gif

In German rolleyes.gif
914werke
I was doing some work in the Garage last night smile.gif

Fabbed up a couple of tools:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine

There is a classic thread on that very subject....

Trunk Torsion Bar Installation.

The wrench idea is credited to Wes Hildreth at H&H in Plano Texas.

914werke
idea.gif
914werke
Like Butta... biggrin.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 27 2011, 10:17 PM) *

That thing is cool as hell!
carr914
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 8 2011, 04:27 PM) *

T. C.

Glenn, I'm still gonna need to borrow that, I just forgot

T.C.
gms
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 2 2012, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Oct 8 2011, 04:27 PM) *

T. C.

Glenn, I'm still gonna need to borrow that, I just forgot

T.C.

Sorry I forgot about that, just email your address and I will get it out to you
Mr.242
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 27 2011, 07:17 PM) *

Oh my...imagine that mug coming out of a freezer and an ice cold beer!

beerchug.gif beer3.gif Oh yea....HEAVEN.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.