Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Home made tools
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
McMark
Revival!

I found a tool I made awhile ago. 901 Transmission pilot shaft seal installer:
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

And today I made another tool. Turbo tie rod installation wrench. Donor 4mm thick metal from some squareback swing axle spring plates that I shortened to install IRS. cool.gif Works like a charm!
Click to view attachment

Next time I send out some zinc plating, I'm going to include some of these babies to make them pretty.
highways
Here's my favorite 'found object'. My 914 Road Tool Kit. It's a Thompson Cigar Sampler case. Found mine at a swapmeet for cheap. First you must spend about 2 weeks removing the Cuban Cigars to make room for the tools... bandit.gif

Click to view attachment

you can get yours here:
914 Road Tool Kit

once the cigars are removed, you are left with a 231mm X 259mm X 53mm aluminum case.

Click to view attachment

now choose your favorite 'don't leave home without'em' 914 tools
Click to view attachment

In my kit for example I have Craftsman ratcheting wrenches 8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, and 19mm. Socket Wrench with Variable Angle Head and 6" extension, Sockets 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 13mm extended, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 22mm, CV joint star key, Craftsman 12" flat head screwdriver, Stanley 10" philips screwdriver, Full size 6 in 1 screwdriver, Proto Cresent wrench, Tire Pressure Gauge, Set of metric Allen Keys, OEM 10/13mm porsche wrench, Metal file, Hella Test Light, Needle Nose Pliers, and my favorite full size Craftsman Visegrips.

personalized variations are encouraged and may earn extra credit

packing requires a little practice and a methodology...

Click to view attachment

and yes the latch closes fully and the 914 Road Tool Kit just barely fits behind one of these....

Click to view attachment
McMark
That's a cool kit!
URY914
No, it's a TOOL kit.
MrKona
Here's my home made blasting cabinet. I just finished it tonight. biggrin.gif

I'd been wanting one for awhile. I recently bought an original muffler that has surface rust, so I wanted a cabinet that would be long enough to fit an entire muffler. $$$

I went ahead and made one with materials from Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and a cheap gun from Harbor Freight. I tried it out tonight and it works great! Obviously, it has no hopper, so I'll have to stop after awhile and shovel out the used media. On the back is an inlet and a bathroom fan for an exhaust. I have a filter in the inlet so no dust escapes. The exhaust fan makes for a nice negative pressure atmosphere in the box. I will hook up a hose and exhaust the dust outside. If it's a lot of dust, I will run the hose to a home made filter box. I realize that dust may shorten the life of the exhaust fan, but it's cheap and replaceable.

There is a 36" fluorescent light inside. I have it wired so that the light and exhaust fan come on together. I can't wait to do some more blasting!

Next step is to build a stand for it this weekend.
cwpeden
I made my own blasting cabinet too and used my shop vac as the ventilation. I just used one of the filters for drywall dust and it worked like a charm aktion035.gif

I think nextime I will get a bag.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(highways @ Jan 20 2009, 04:49 AM) *

Here's my favorite 'found object'. My 914 Road Tool Kit. It's a Thompson Cigar Sampler case. Found mine at a swapmeet for cheap. First you must spend about 2 weeks removing the Cuban Cigars to make room for the tools... bandit.gif

Click to view attachment

you can get yours here:
914 Road Tool Kit

once the cigars are removed, you are left with a 231mm X 259mm X 53mm aluminum case.

Click to view attachment

now choose your favorite 'don't leave home without'em' 914 tools
Click to view attachment

In my kit for example I have Craftsman ratcheting wrenches 8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, and 19mm. Socket Wrench with Variable Angle Head and 6" extension, Sockets 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 13mm extended, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 22mm, CV joint star key, Craftsman 12" flat head screwdriver, Stanley 10" philips screwdriver, Full size 6 in 1 screwdriver, Proto Cresent wrench, Tire Pressure Gauge, Set of metric Allen Keys, OEM 10/13mm porsche wrench, Metal file, Hella Test Light, Needle Nose Pliers, and my favorite full size Craftsman Visegrips.

personalized variations are encouraged and may earn extra credit

packing requires a little practice and a methodology...

Click to view attachment

and yes the latch closes fully and the 914 Road Tool Kit just barely fits behind one of these....

Click to view attachment

I couldnt resist this deal on the cigars, but be warned. They were relentless in calling my cell and trying to up sell me on other options and packages dry.gif I finally called them back and asked them not to call me anymore....then when they called me I made the request again.....lets see how many more times they call me mad.gif
scotty b
Yeah you really can't beat Thompsons prices buy they are damned irritating. I get an e-mail DAILY and I've only bought from them 3 or 4 times I think. that's where I got that newest pipe and Zach's cigars from.
rick 918-S
I'm not sure if you would classify 2" masking tape as a tool but here's a method for keeping track of you terminal ends while rewiring your car, boat, or what ever your working on.
I was recently rewiring the Healey. I had a HotRod Wires generic harness with no terminal ends. I was working on the dash and needed several different terminal ends. I have a big nut and bolt assortment drawer with different sizes and types. Rather that bring the bulky drawer over to the car and chance knocking the thing over in the tight quarters, I stuck several of the connectors to a strip of 2" masking tape and stuck it to the kick panel next to where I was working. Notice the tape in the left of the photo. It worked for me... confused24.gif
highways
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 28 2009, 02:46 PM) *

I couldnt resist this deal on the cigars, but be warned. They were relentless in calling my cell and trying to up sell me on other options and packages dry.gif I finally called them back and asked them not to call me anymore....then when they called me I made the request again.....lets see how many more times they call me mad.gif

Oh, sorry about that! I had no idea. Like I said I found mine at a swap meet. Maybe you can use your inlaw's address for placing the order next time? happy11.gif It just seemed like a cheap alternative to dropping the doe on one of those aluminum breifcases.. and mine is holding up fine after 2 years.
zig-n-zag
tranny nut buster.... IPB Image

IPB Image
majkos

I'm suprise no one made a Engine Head Sensor tool.

Let's step over to the tool box rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment
majkos
Click to view attachment

Simple 13mm socket, 914 jack handle, cut at a certain length,
(to fit in engine compartment.)
Welding, grinding, cut off tool makes slot for wire.
No need to remove intakes. aktion035.gif

The other tool is a "Short" Engine seal removal.
Can't remember why I was in tight quarters,
but 5 minutes,Fabing and welding, seal removed and moved on.
Think I was getting ready for some AX'ing, the next day blink.gif
Sleepin
......and I am missing your Superbowl party.... WTF.gif

Judging by your cooler, I may need to stop by one of these days Kevin! biggrin.gif
Gint
You've never been to Kevin's?!?! You need to move.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(MrKona @ Jan 27 2009, 11:13 PM) *

Here's my home made blasting cabinet. I just finished it tonight. biggrin.gif

That's pretty sweet!
majkos
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 1 2009, 10:22 AM) *

You've never been to Kevin's?!?! You need to move.

biggrin.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif beer.gif drunk.gif aktion035.gif
Wilhelm
Ball Joint Remover

So I don't have to mess up the ball joint "nut" with a pipe wrench, nor pay $55.00 for this special socket.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
McMark
Nice work.
ChrisFoley
Delrin rear bushing cutting tools

Top: Sleeve that fits an already reamed bushing

Center: Reamer with long shaft and sleeve that fits the unreamed bushing in the opposite end of the trailing arm. At the left end a socket is welded to the shaft to turn the reamer.
The rosette welds hold short pins that capture the square end of the reamer but allow it to be removed as needed.

Bottom: Face cutting tool to precisely adjust the end play of a pivot shaft in the bushings
larss
Rear boot torsion bar tool

Made this tool for fitting of (fighting with!) the torsion bars to the rear boot hinges, there is a picture of it in the Haynes manual, need a R and L version, this is the R one...still with this tool I did not like fighting with the bar (talk about mouse trap!), is there another way of fitting the bars?
/Lars S

Click to view attachment
charliew
I don't remember where I saw it but the fiero has similiar springs and there is what seems like a pretty good tool available maybe you could copy it if you can find a picture. I need to adjust one of my fieros now. One has been sitting in my shop with the trunk open for about 7 years so maybe it will be okay when I get around to using it again. It also has a lighter trunk than the gt I'm having problems with. I use a cresent wrench with a notch cut in it for my purposes.
jimkelly
bearing removal tool - not mine

see thread

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...nteresting+find

text from designer...

QUOTE(MrKona @ Feb 21 2009, 11:36 AM) *
Thanks Jeff. I used an 8" x 3/4 " bolt and appropriate nut. Of course, different threaded pieces could work. The important parts are: 1) Black piece, which is a "3" fitting cleanout adapter" from the plumbing section of the hardware store. The small end has a 3" ID and just shy of 3.5" OD. The large end (which rest on the trailing arm) has an ID of 3.5" and an OD of 4". 2) 2" diameter washer which mates with the bearing. 3) 3.5" large washer which rests on top of the black plumbing piece.

I added a couple extra washers on top of the large washer as you can see from the pics. This really wasn't necessary. Only needed if the nut is too small for the hole in the large washer.

Also, If I really wanted to get fancy and avoid holding the threads with a Vice grip, I could have added two additional nuts and cinched them tight to one another, then held one with a wrench to avoid gnarling up the threads.
McMark
Made another tool today. This piece fits tightly on the inside of the rear hub. A slide hammer goes through the middle and a few swings later, the hub is out. Quick, easy and safe. boldblue.gif
914werke
Here is one that is surprisingly simple but I find I use it the most

Click to view attachment

It bolts to the rear hubs w/o wheel using the stock lugs & prevents
turning even when busting off then stub nut. aktion035.gif
914werke
here is THE tool for unlocking the rear boot biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

bye1.gif
charliew
A picture of you using that tool would be interesting. Do your feet reach the ground?
larss
Handle made when fitting the rear window, one in each end, found it hard to manouvre the glass into its final position without handles.
Yes I know there are vaccum lifters but I did'nt have any... sad.gif

/Lars S
IPB Image
McMark
lol-2.gif Love it, Lars! That's awesome.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jul 30 2010, 08:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment

bye1.gif

This looks interesting Rich. How does it fit through the targa latch cup hole when its so long? Can you post a photo of how it works to unlock the latch?
Richard Casto
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 12 2010, 01:22 PM) *

lol-2.gif Love it, Lars! That's awesome.

The simplicity of the duct tape handle is perfect.
Phoenix-MN
Let's kick it up a notch This isn't 914 specific but it can be used with any Porsche. I always wanted a set of scales for corner balancing but couldn't quite justify ~$1500,00 to buy a set. So I set out last winter to design and build a set. Using Ax-Man surplus store parts and Digikey I came up with this biggrin.gif They're not "gnats-ass" perfect but will do the job. Total investment was about $275.00.

Click to view attachment

charliew
That is neat but it would take me three days to build the electronics box and three more to make the scales. I think I bought a thousand lb shipping scale on ebay for 49.95 + shipping. Couldn't I just use four of those?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(charliew @ Aug 13 2010, 06:27 PM) *

That is neat but it would take me three days to build the electronics box and three more to make the scales. I think I bought a thousand lb shipping scale on ebay for 49.95 + shipping. Couldn't I just use four of those?

Yes ....But not nearly as cool!
charliew
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 12 2010, 02:07 PM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jul 30 2010, 08:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment

bye1.gif

This looks interesting Rich. How does it fit through the targa latch cup hole when its so long? Can you post a photo of how it works to unlock the latch?

That was the first kaizan I did to my 75 when I saw it had a electric solenoid. It now has a ss wire hanging down under the floor with a loop in it.
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(charliew @ Aug 13 2010, 03:27 PM) *

Yes, that would work also but I enjoy a good engineering problem. Designing and building stuff is therapy to me. Besides 4 industial scales would probably take up more storage space and when and if my scales break I will know how to fix them.

Now for some other therapy beer3.gif

Paul
qa1142
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Aug 14 2010, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(charliew @ Aug 13 2010, 03:27 PM) *

Yes, that would work also but I enjoy a good engineering problem. Designing and building stuff is therapy to me. Besides 4 industial scales would probably take up more storage space and when and if my scales break I will know how to fix them.

Now for some other therapy beer3.gif

Paul

I could be first inline - you could add them to member vendor section say $300 for a set aktion035.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 13 2010, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(charliew @ Aug 13 2010, 06:27 PM) *

Yes ....But not nearly as cool!

agree.gif
rudedude
I'd even pay you something for your time smilie_pokal.gif
qa1142
that is the $25

I would even add a paypal fee
charliew
I would think 300.00-500.00 might cover the labor
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(charliew @ Aug 14 2010, 01:09 PM) *

That would be the low side idea.gif There's a reason off the shelf systems cost what they do rolleyes.gif
qa1142
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Aug 14 2010, 03:15 PM) *

QUOTE(charliew @ Aug 14 2010, 01:09 PM) *

That would be the low side idea.gif There's a reason off the shelf systems cost what they do rolleyes.gif

But we are saving you thousands on therapy poke.gif
sixnotfour
Towing aid without removing axles.
Dr Evil
That looks dangerous blink.gif
John
Click to view attachment

First pic shows:

914 Rotisserie
Engine stand
My really really deep socket for torquing the nut on the mainshaft of a 915 trans.

Click to view attachment
Second pic shows:

My engine support to fit my jack.

When the jack dies, I grind off the receiver pin and weld a new one to accept the new jack..... The engine and transmission are stable on this. I can also remove the trans and it remains stable enough to remove the flywheel without fear of it tipping or rolling over.
rick 918-S
I had a very rusty caliper I made this clamp with a hole through it for a grease gun
rick 918-S
smile.gif
rick 918-S
Click to view attachment smile.gif
rick 918-S
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.