Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Group buy: Porterfield R4-S (and others) brake pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Eric_Shea
So where's the 98 badge? You're avoiding the subject and I know you're hording one! biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
Be proud change your color aaron.gif spray away.

I did find that box of trumphets, today.
Eric_Shea
Why do I always have to go in a fix your posts? Even when you're panning on me! biggrin.gif

(still avoiding the subject...) dry.gif
sixnotfour
I got no stinking badge or brake pads.

I was trying to fix it , but some admin. was already in my post.
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif You guys are funny aktion035.gif
Gint
Got the pads today. I do thank you! You coulda saved me 'til last though 'cause it'll be a long time until I actually install these.

Now, I'm looking at the set of front and rear pads. Admittedly it's been a long time since I've looked at an actual set of 914/6 brake pads, and maybe I'm ingnrnt... but these front and rear pad sets look identical to my eye. Are they?
Gint
PM'd the pad king.
PeeGreen 914
Wow, I had these two big boxes of pads come piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif Poor mail lady couldn't carry them at the same time laugh.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 4 2009, 02:37 PM) *

Wow, I had these two big boxes of pads come piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif Poor mail lady couldn't carry them at the same time laugh.gif

Hmmmm .... Maxipads right?
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 4 2009, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 4 2009, 02:37 PM) *

Hmmmm .... Maxipads right?

Tampax super stoppers blink.gif
southernmost914
Missed out! Eric do you now have these pads for sale ? Somebody give me the secret? piratenanner.gif price.
Steve
Eric_Shea
Now, I'm looking at the set of front and rear pads. Admittedly it's been a long time since I've looked at an actual set of 914/6 brake pads, and maybe I'm ingnrnt... but these front and rear pad sets look identical to my eye. Are they?

Why yes they are... #AP31 front and rear. I just label them differently on the invoice for clarity. wink.gif

Other cars with the same sized front and rear pads:

911 L, T and E
930 Turbo
911 RSA
Carrera 2 and 4
and... and... and...
SLITS
This gig is for shit .... I had to reassemble my own boxes and put the pads in for "wall art"! Man, talk about poor customer service.

av-943.gif
Gint
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 4 2009, 05:13 PM) *
Why yes they are... #AP31 front and rear. I just label them differently on the invoice for clarity. wink.gif
Grassyass
SLITS
"I have never met, a man more in need of a bj Super Stoppers than Gint"

My apologies to Robin Williams ... "Good Morning Vietnam"
Gint
Yer depends wet again Ron?
sixnotfour
Do you need to drill one hole out for the -6 rears?
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 4 2009, 06:44 PM) *

This gig is for shit .... I had to reassemble my own boxes and put the pads in for "wall art"! Man, talk about poor customer service.

av-943.gif

agree.gif
I got mine today after getting schilled for an extra 10 for shipping those big ole A's WTF.gif

Oh and by the way Eric.........UR THA MAN pray.gif

Thanks a ton for some really nice pads!

Sorry ya had to lose a little mola and even worse rebox a bunch of pads w00t.gif

KEN beer.gif

Eric_Shea
Jeff brings up a good point. With these pads "all" of the 914 and 914-6 backing plates will need to be drilled. This is fairly common with racing pads.

The fat pins on a 914 are 8.5mm. A 3/8" bit would probably be the safest bet from a common bit set. 5/16 is too small.

It's not rocket science but; you should know a few tips:

Mount the pads in a vise or clamp them onto a block of wood or to your drill press table before drilling. Do not attempt to hold them in your hand. The bit will bite the metal and spin the pad in your hand causing you to say all sorts of nasty things.

Pay attention as to how you drill them as well. I face the pads together and drill one side left and one side right. Look at your calipers and take notes or make a simple drawing. Use the old "measure twice, cut once" philosophy.

I have yet to figure out why ATE made these calipers with one big pin and one normal pin. The later Ferrari calipers had 1 size pin throughout.

My normal boxes arrived today so... no tearing down boxes on the second shipment. Still waiting for word on round two. I'll keep you posted.

E.
sixnotfour
I have yet to figure out why ATE made these calipers with one big pin and one normal pin. The later Ferrari calipers had 1 size pin throughout.

Because long ago in a far away land the Porsche Engineers Superior to the Ferrari dudes, had a .20-.030 thou. taper sanded into the pad, the one larger hole made installation a no brainer.

flawed perhaps as all late pads have same size holes, But who am I to question the 70's, why ? because they aktion035.gif (rock ?)
Eric_Shea
There ya go. Not only can you drill them, you can put a beveled edge on the facing rotor.

Thanks for the insight... wink.gif

Flawed perhaps as after a couple hot laps... it's gone. biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
Just stating the facts, and the whole pad is tapered.
Dont make go out in the cold.
Eric_Shea
Dont make go out in the cold.

It's hard enough to get you to formulate a complete sentence! w00t.gif

OK... PROVE IT! lol3.gif

Seriously, thanks for the insight. That one always had me perplexed. wink.gif
sixnotfour
Back in the Day. (1979)
out in the cold (shop)
PeeGreen 914
I don;t understand what the advantage is of having the different thickness confused24.gif
AgPete139
Thanks to all who got this thing going and launched. Eric, Pheonix, and everyone else that ordered...

AgPete / Peter (another one)
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 4 2009, 09:33 PM) *

I don;t understand what the advantage is of having the different thickness confused24.gif

"Taper wear". Or rather, compensating for it. The leading edge (I think, could have it backwards) will tend to wear more. If the pad is made unevenly, the wear tends to even out.

--DD
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(AgPete139 @ Feb 4 2009, 10:04 PM) *

Thanks to all who got this thing going and launched. Eric, Pheonix, and everyone else that ordered...

AgPete / Peter (another one)

beerchug.gif

Thanks Dave. That makes sense now.
jim_hoyland
Got my box today; thanks Eric and Jon.
ArtechnikA
I'd been waiting patiently only to discover today on my trip into town that Eric sent my package to the Post Orifice box. (Probably because it'd my address in his records, or maybe it was attached to the PayPal...)

Anyway - you 'MaxiPad' guys - "Now *that's* a pad..."
(Early Turbo / 911S pad shown for comparison...)
ConeDodger
I got mine last week and just looked at them today...

Now all I have to do is figure out which ones go to which car at which end! Uff Da! blink.gif
RoadGlue
Still waiting. smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Feb 7 2009, 05:58 PM) *

Still waiting. smile.gif

What do you expect Randy? Three steps backwards and you are in the ocean! It takes longer to get to you... biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Update:

Randy, I goofed on yours and ordered regular AP31's vs. 31T (thicker) for your fronts. 31T's are still back ordered so I doubt it would have mattered.

The rest of you hoodlums; we kinda suprised them with 100+ brake pads, especially the 31T's. Allow me:

Early 914's, 911's and 914-6 take the #31 pad size. Later 914's (only) take a thicker 31T up front. We had a flood of later 31T pads on order and this is what Porterfield is currently out of stock on. They're shipping more AP30's (rear pads) today but we're still one week out on the AP31T's.

I'll try to have an update on 31T's next Monday (from my ocean front villa in the Bahama's) wink.gif
SLKWrx
Any word on mine? Haven't seen them yet??

-- Steve
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 11 2009, 12:00 PM) *

Update:

Randy, I goofed on yours and ordered regular AP31's vs. 31T (thicker) for your fronts. 31T's are still back ordered so I doubt it would have mattered.

No rush and thanks for the update.
Eric_Shea

Do you have a 73?
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 11 2009, 02:23 PM) *

Do you have a 73?

I have two '74 2.0s. smile.gif Just getting pads for the one that doesn't already have porterfields.
Eric_Shea
Now all I have to do is figure out which ones go to which car at which end! Uff Da!

AP45's are for the front of the assdragger.
AP31's are for the rear of the assdragger and the front of the 914.
AP30's are for the rear of the 914.
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 7 2009, 02:09 PM) *

I got mine last week and just looked at them today...

Now all I have to do is figure out which ones go to which car at which end! Uff Da! blink.gif

Rob,
You waited till now to look?! huh.gif

How many sets did you get? Any extras?
We both told Eric he could ship mine with yours, I never said you could keep them.

Jim
Eric_Shea
Jim,

Yours are BO'd sad.gif
Sleepin
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 11 2009, 06:16 PM) *

Jim,

Yours are BO'd sad.gif

Are mine as well E.? yellowsleep[1].gif
euro911
I placed my order 'late', and ironically for a 'late' ('75) car, so I'm sure mine are on B/O.

No problem for me since the car isn't even running right now dry.gif ... and if California passes the WHAT? $XX billion dollar tax increase budget (to include doubling of vehicle registration fees) - the '75 may go on 'non-op' status for the year, along with a few other cars & cycles mad.gif ... (where's that fuchin' finger smiley)

I'll keep checking here Eric, and will settle up with the you on the additional items next week.
PeeGreen 914
finger.gif biggrin.gif Next time you want to use that just type finger between two :
SLKWrx
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 11 2009, 02:23 PM) *

Do you have a 73?

I reed gud smile.gif Sorry about that. I'll go back to waiting patiently.
Eric_Shea
No worries... just to make it clear:

If you have a late model 914 (72.8 - 76) your are probably on B/O (front AP31T pad sets). We're hoping they ship out "to us" next week.

If you have BMW fronts, we have about 3-4 of those orders being held up for rear pads. They should have shipped the AP30 rear pads early this week and we expect them any day now.

Once the rears come in we'll send out the 3-4 BMW/914 orders and stage the rest for delivery once the late model fronts arrive.
ConeDodger
Gosh! I haven't felt this special since Mommy put me on the short bus to go to school! drooley.gif I have a late car, and I got mine already! Na-na-na-na-na!!!
I grouphug.gif you E!!!
Lavanaut
Sooo...from what I'm reading it sounds like mine probably, possibly, potentially should have, could have, would have shown up by now Eric, what do you think? Me and my trusty '71. smile.gif

I know you love these "where are MINE?!!" messages, I didn't want you to think that I didn't care enough to offer one up from Oregon...
Eric_Shea
I have a late car, and I got mine already! Na-na-na-na-na!!!

I do believe you have M-Calipers up front Weinerschnitzel tongue.gif

Reid, your's are... somewhere, not sure where but, they're somewhere. biggrin.gif

I have an extra set of R4 pads (the race pads) for a 914-6 or an early 911. wink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 12 2009, 01:38 PM) *

I have a late car, and I got mine already! Na-na-na-na-na!!!

I do believe you have M-Calipers up front Weinerschnitzel tongue.gif

Reid, your's are... somewhere, not sure where but, they're somewhere. biggrin.gif

I have an extra set of R4 pads (the race pads) for a 914-6 or an early 911. wink.gif

Told you I was special! wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.