Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PNW transmission rebuild clinic planning thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Jakeodoule
Should be no problem, How long? You'll more than likely have to unhook after parking. Only have room for one or two that can reach power hookup. Otherwise have flat and level room for three or four others at least. But anything longer than about 25 or 30 will be tight if your not good at backing...

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 11 2009, 09:59 PM) *

Mike Im still tryiong to pull together $ to make this.
Gotta sell a few more bits smile.gif
Jake is their room for yet another trailer? If not perhaps I can mooch a bunk off someone else ?

Dr Evil
I am going to call it closed to enlisting on Aug 26th so I have time to order parts and ship stuff.
montoya 73 2.0
icon_bump.gif

Dr. Evil, coming atcha today in the mail. Paid in full except for the Super CV bolts your bringing.
6freak
I`m out sad.gif ..sorry fella`s ....Just to many irons in the fire
Dr Evil
Not even to show up???
J P Stein
Doc:
I have only one first gear slider & it's just decent. It would seem that this is the most abused/NLA bit. I hope you have a plan.

I just pulled apart a trans. The
slider was toast tho the dog teeth were good but the syncro band was flat.....go figure. The pinion shaft intermediate plate bearing was in multiple pieces.
Dr Evil
JP,
1st is generally shot. I posted earlier on in this long thread that if people wanted to get 1st sliders for this clinic I had a source for $350. Dog teeth from 2-5 can be made to work in 1st so I have that handled with plenty of spares. I also have some pretty decent 1st sliders for $100 ea. These save some money and will work great for a long time after a rebuild and class. smile.gif

For bands, you can buy new from me if you like for $75, or used ones that are in great shape for $35.
6freak
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 17 2009, 12:39 PM) *

Not even to show up???

If i could buy a month that would be swell! ..But ive yet to find a source headbang.gif
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 17 2009, 03:02 PM) *

If i could buy a month that would be swell! ..But ive yet to find a source headbang.gif

Find a source for what?? Parts??
J P Stein
Many times I've wished to buy a month.....even a week. They are NLA nor ever were..bummer. headbang.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Aug 17 2009, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 17 2009, 03:02 PM) *

Find a source for what?? Parts??

A source where he could buy a month wink.gif
JRust
QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 17 2009, 12:09 PM) *

Dang man! There goes my bed headbang.gif . That sucks Mike that you can't make it. Anything I can do to help make it happen? I could probably free up a weekend idea.gif
6freak
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 17 2009, 08:31 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 17 2009, 12:09 PM) *

Dang man! There goes my bed headbang.gif . That sucks Mike that you can't make it. Anything I can do to help make it happen? I could probably free up a weekend idea.gif

I will buy a weekend from you if you have one for sale Jamie..lol.....JP says they were never available!He would know he`s been on this earth sence before christ lol-2.gif but i may have found a good used one ...we will see
Mr.242
6Freak....Bro....We're in!

JRust, you might have to double bunk with Mike.

So let's do a rebuild on my Six Tranny! beerchug.gif

Now, I have to speed up my time line and drop the engine/tranny and have it all out for the 11th drive to Portland.

Can't wait to meet the Dr. himself! aktion035.gif

Mark
6freak

so i guess im back in .......
aktion035.gif If im drive`n the motor home i pick the bed i want .........Jamie wanna feel safe that nite! sleep with a Cop lol-2.gif ....there`s three beds so dont be talk`n no gay shit or you`ll be sleep`n on the ground
JRust
QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 19 2009, 03:18 PM) *

so i guess im back in .......
aktion035.gif If im drive`n the motor home i pick the bed i want .........Jamie wanna feel safe that nite! sleep with a Cop lol-2.gif ....there`s three beds so dont be talk`n no gay shit or you`ll be sleep`n on the ground

Oh come on where's the loyalty? Just cause he's your brother rolleyes.gif

It's not like he's got a 914. Oh yeah its a 914-6 headbang.gif

Guess I'm screwed huh.gif I mean I can sleep in my truck biggrin.gif If it's to crouded anyway. I don't remember how big the table bed was idea.gif
6freak
I will be fine Jamie ..lots of room to stretch out on that table bed...would be kinda cool to just throw a bag out on the ground ..been lots of years seen ive done that ..but then i would wake up and remember why i dont do that anymore ...It will all work out! you have your spot reserved
helios
Just a little icon_bump.gif .

It's coming up quick.
Gary
Is a one day rebuild realistic for a suspected 2nd gear synchro issue? I know it's a little hard to predict until I get the box open. There's a 10k back up here in Tacoma on Sunday I'm interested in running with the family.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Gary @ Aug 22 2009, 08:30 AM) *

Is a one day rebuild realistic for a suspected 2nd gear synchro issue? I know it's a little hard to predict until I get the box open. There's a 10k back up here in Tacoma on Sunday I'm interested in running with the family.

If you're sure that is all it is, it's a one day job easily.

Today a buddy brough his trans over thinking his first gear syncro/dog teeth/slider was bad....and it was and so was his 2nd gear syncro and that slider was shakey. During disassemly his mainshaft intermediate bearing fell out in about 20 pieces.....sigh..

So, the real answer to your question is maybe. biggrin.gif
Jakeodoule
I've only received directions request's from 5 people.....
Anyone else need the info?
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Aug 27 2009, 12:16 PM) *

I would like directions. jmmotorsports9@aol.com

Thanks,
Jerry
aircooledtechguy

Me too aircooledtechguy at gmail.com
Dr Evil
I need an address to ship the supplies to. Can ya PM me?
914werke

Could you please sent to me as well?
J P Stein
A set of directions would be gud. Battle Ground is no longer just a wide spot in the road to Lewisville Park.
scotty
Yeah, I could use directions -- PM or email at scottygu3 -- gmail.com
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Ok I give in. Do I need any other parts?
J P Stein
No see'em the dogteeth/silder teeth on 1st gear. THE high wear area.
With the shafts thru the intermediate plate I can't tell if the bearings are bad.
4th gear looks good.....but most are.

To your question: I hab no idea. biggrin.gif
PanelBilly
If I knew where the dogteeth on the first gear were, I could send a photo of them. See how little I know
my928s4
OK finally removed my stack too, PanelBilly your internals are way too clean smile.gif

What am I in for? Presume I just need to bring the stack to the party?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
J P Stein
QUOTE(my928s4 @ Aug 30 2009, 03:11 PM) *

OK finally removed my stack too, PanelBilly your internals are way too clean smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Your 1st gear dog teeth look pretty good(the last pic, Billy). If the slider is in the same shape you're good to go.....tho The syncro looks kinda flat. These pics make it tough to give a definate answer due to light reflection. There is a wear limit on syncros. I'll bring a mic if doc doesn't have one....or even if he does. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(my928s4 @ Aug 30 2009, 06:11 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

2nd looks like it is toasted, 3rd looks pretty injured as well. Slider possible, teeth definitely, synchro band definitely. 1st is not clear enough to know, The teeth look ok, but we can do better. Bring the whole box if you are going to reseal the case. I will show you how and I have some good tools to help you.
Dr Evil
Billy, I cant tell much from your pics. Ya'll need to take off the 1st gear slider (one 13mm bolt then slide it up and off) and take pics of the wear areas to get an idea of the condition.
my928s4
Yikes, OK will bring check book !!

My gearbox casing looks like crap, spent a LOT of time cleaning and degreasing but probably worth getting is blasted before the event. Any advice on removing the diff?

Chris

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 30 2009, 07:27 PM) *

2nd looks like it is toasted, 3rd looks pretty injured as well. Slider possible, teeth definitely, synchro band definitely. 1st is not clear enough to know, The teeth look ok, but we can do better. Bring the whole box if you are going to reseal the case. I will show you how and I have some good tools to help you.

Dr Evil
DONT BLAST IT! This almost always turns out badly. Just clean it pretty good and be happy smile.gif Diff doesnt need to come out right now. I cant see your pinion point gear in the pics. Check them to see if they are galled. If they are then your box is not worth rebuilding sad.gif
my928s4
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 30 2009, 11:43 PM) *

DONT BLAST IT! This almost always turns out badly. Just clean it pretty good and be happy smile.gif Diff doesnt need to come out right now. I cant see your pinion point gear in the pics. Check them to see if they are galled. If they are then your box is not worth rebuilding sad.gif

Well glad I asked, keeping my fingers crossed on these pics.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mr.242

I will need some directions to co-pilot the land yaht with 6FREAK. driving.gif

Sounds like we should set up some cones and AX the motorhomes! aktion035.gif

Is this a Whiskey, beer or wine crowd?
beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
Chris, it looks just fine smile.gif

Mr. 242,
"Is this a Whiskey, beer or wine crowd? "
Yes biggrin.gif I like good ones of all of these. Scotch, Bourbon, Beer, bottle of red, bottle of white wink.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Whiskey, brandy, vodka and beer! I'm going to bring a couple of bottles!
montoya 73 2.0
icon_bump.gif

Were getting close gentlemen! Whose bringing some grilling/BBQ meat and stuff?
JRust
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Aug 31 2009, 11:17 AM) *

Whiskey, brandy, vodka and beer! I'm going to bring a couple of bottles!

Uh I'll be bringning Wild Cherry Pepsi drooley.gif Looking forward to the weekend. Any other Oregon folks want to caravan up? Figuring to drive up friday night. Could be up for an early Saturday morning run though driving.gif . Whatever works
montoya 73 2.0
i'm going to be leaving (in the jeep) southern oregon about noonish on that friday. that puts me up at Eugene around 3:30ish which would then have me up in the Portland area by 5:30. Unless I hit traffic, Whats the rush hours up there?

Never tried Wild Cherrry Pepsi with brandy or Vodka, I'm gonna try it that weekend!
J P Stein
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Sep 1 2009, 01:36 PM) *

i'm going to be leaving (in the jeep) southern oregon about noonish on that friday. that puts me up at Eugene around 3:30ish which would then have me up in the Portland area by 5:30. Unless I hit traffic, Whats the rush hours up there?

Never tried Wild Cherrry Pepsi with brandy or Vodka, I'm gonna try it that weekend!

Bout 2:30 to 7:00ish PM Monday thru Friday with Friday being the worst. Don't even consider trying to cross over into WA during those hrs.
mstein95
Please PM the directions my way.

Jamie - lets touch base the week prior.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Sep 1 2009, 12:36 PM) *

On a Friday, traffic will be heavy from 3:00 until 6:30 trying to get into the Couve. Either leave earlier, or drive slower. At 4PM on a Friday, Battleground is two hours from Portland.
JRust

First of all that wild cherry crack was some funny $hit lol-2.gif

As far as the rush hour stuff what they said. I would hold off going thru Portland till 6:30 or 7. & to be on the safe side. You come up earlier you are welcome to stop by my place to relax for a bit. I live just east of Corvallis on hwy 34. I am 8 miles from I5. I am up for leaving my place sometime after 6:15. That would put us thru Portland at a decent time. Still get us there early enough to see what we are doing setting up camp or whatever.

Morgan we will definately touch base the week leading up to it
PanelBilly
I'm bringing beer. I was planning on soaking up a batch of bourbon/rootbeer ribs for the grill too. I'm not sure how much to fix up 'cause no matter how much I make, I could eat them all myself!
Jakeodoule
Looks like I am rebuilding my gear box just in time.
When I drained the oil a sweet pretty new House of Colors paint color came out....
"Por$che bronze Gold Metalic With 100 dollar flakes." Part #$$$-$$$

What do you think Dr.??
(Disregard the Moth, he flew into the oil after it was drained) He couldn't resist the pretty gold color. Th stuff on the rag is like a paste almost.
The little chunks came out with the oil....
Is that just a bushing or something cheap?? lol-2.gif
It was shifting nice with the only problems were a whine in 4th and a few leaks.....

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
montoya 73 2.0
JRust - Crap! It's been 12 years since I lived in the big city (San Jose, Ca.) I've forgotten all about traffic. Looks like we may be hanging out. Oh damn the pre-party before the party!!!

PanelBilly - I've never had Bourbon/Rootbeer ribs? Is it any Bourbon and any kind of rootbeer or are there specifics to this recipe?

QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 1 2009, 06:29 PM) *

First of all that wild cherry crack was some funny $hit lol-2.gif

As far as the rush hour stuff what they said. I would hold off going thru Portland till 6:30 or 7. & to be on the safe side. You come up earlier you are welcome to stop by my place to relax for a bit. I live just east of Corvallis on hwy 34. I am 8 miles from I5. I am up for leaving my place sometime after 6:15. That would put us thru Portland at a decent time. Still get us there early enough to see what we are doing setting up camp or whatever.

Morgan we will definately touch base the week leading up to it

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.