Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PNW transmission rebuild clinic planning thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Shade Tree
A rough count: 3 folks fairly close to me, 1 from down south and 11 from Portland and north of Portland.
Dr Evil
Anyone heard from Craig Laughlin lately? He has room and is in Lake Oswego. How far is that?
Todd Enlund
No offense to Rich, and thanks for offering, but if Jakeoudoule can host, he's much closer to the center of mass. Walterville is 2+ hours each way from Portland (135 miles). Battleground is <30 minutes (19 miles). Lake O is about the same from the airport, a bit closer for those living in Portland proper.
J P Stein
Another option.
I am about 20 minutes from Portland airport & easy to find.
There is plenty of bench space in the shop but I have no overnight accommodations. I don't need a trans rebuild but have some parts & assemblies under the bench.....plus tools. Bout a case of beer in the fridge that needs to get drank(drunk?)....I don't do the stuff much.

Shade Tree
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jun 17 2009, 05:25 PM) *

No offense to Rich, and thanks for offering, but if Jakeoudoule can host, he's much closer to the center of mass. Walterville is 2+ hours each way from Portland (135 miles). Battleground is <30 minutes (19 miles). Lake O is about the same from the airport, a bit closer for those living in Portland proper.

Not only do I not take offense, I agree. I'd love to have all of you guys down to my place for some fun but it seems like it would be a PITA for everyone but me. However, if Jakeoudoule's place falls through or for whatever reason there isn't a better place....all are welcome to, as Dr. Evil named it, "The Shade Tree Garage". That's kind of fitting too. I don't care where this thing happens. I'm really excited to learn a new trick.

Oh, hey Todd, 2+ hours? Don't you own a Porsche? driving.gif beerchug.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Shade Tree @ Jun 17 2009, 04:45 PM) *

Oh, hey Todd, 2+ hours? Don't you own a Porsche? driving.gif beerchug.gif

Have you seen my Porsche? It's a 914.

Click to view attachment
JRust
I'm open to wherever. I'd offer my place but I realy don't have much for benches to work on. Nor is my stock of tools probably up for multiple tranny's. I am north of Shadetrees & south of Portland. I have been to Jp's & he has nice garage setup for sure.

Having said all that I'd be happy to host & have plenty of parking. We can rig extra benches but would need people to bring extra tools. I also have some room for overnighters. Camping would be no problem. I have a 3 car garage with the single bay being my porsche area. It's pretty large I can fit 3 914's sideway in it. I love it but the downside is I'm in the flood plain. So I don't have much for plugs in the garage.

Okay so there is another possibility. I'll go wherever it is biggrin.gif
championgt1
I don't need to rebuild my tranny(knock on wood). I would be down to come and watch and drink some of Todds home brew! beer3.gif
Dr Evil
I can always crash as Todd's if the venue has no over night accommodations.

So, we should assemble a list of all of the host candidates and take a vote. As for tools, all anyone needs to bring is a 14mm socket, 13mm socket, 10mm socket (only need one), 5mm allen (only need one) and that is about it. I will get some more sets of the special tools for everyone to use depending on the number of people showing. Getting more tools just makes sense given the scope of this tour.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 17 2009, 08:06 PM) *

I will get some more sets of the special tools for everyone to use depending on the number of people showing. Getting more tools just makes sense given the scope of this tour.

You wouldn't wanna miss out on this beauty. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Yeek, you have some advanced stuff there. We are going to be doing the basic class that 99% of the people need, not that dial gauge stuff blink.gif
montoya 73 2.0
I would be interested to attend and possibly participate. My stock 73 tranny is grinding going from 1st to 2nd (only when at high rpm) and going from 3rd to 2nd (again at high rpm). That being said, I'm open to any time I've got vacation time to burn. Two questions though, What's the cost and do I have to bring anything besides the tranny and tools?
TC 914-8
Wow, I haven't been on the site for quite a while, see what I missed.
I'm in, when ever and where ever it happens.
hot_shoe914
As for tools, all anyone needs to bring is a 14mm socket, 13mm socket, 10mm socket (only need one), 5mm allen (only need one) and that is about it

Aren't those sockets gonna be kinda hard to turn without a ratchet, or are ya using supergrip rubber gloves? lol-2.gif
Dr Evil
Ya ya, yuck it up tongue.gif

Montoya, cost is $300. There is a master thread with the details, and there are details in this thread. Let me know if you still have questions.
6freak
Jack and MR242 can ride down with me and i can get two more in the truck if needed that makes for cheap fuel cost ...to where ever it is were going (insert smiley with a 14mm wrench)......right on
Mr.242
QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 18 2009, 07:37 AM) *

Jack and MR242 can ride down with me and i can get two more in the truck if needed that makes for cheap fuel cost ...to where ever it is were going (insert smiley with a 14mm wrench)......right on

Wait, maybe people have a problem riding in a Dodge, or is it a Fiat???? I can't keep the bailout/bankruptcy money straight. Anyway, I could drive the F-350 crew cab if people are against that Dodge/Fiat product you drive. poke.gif
Got room for a couple in my beast if Mike and I both have to drive.

I'm in and will bring the ratchet! What is the total count of people? Is there a need for the Binford 8000 for a BBQ?

Mr.242
6freak
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jun 18 2009, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 18 2009, 07:37 AM) *

Wait, maybe people have a problem riding in a Dodge, or is it a Fiat???? I can't keep the bailout/bankruptcy money straight. Anyway, I could drive the F-350 crew cab if people are against that Dodge/Fiat product you drive. poke.gif
Got room for a couple in my beast if Mike and I both have to drive.

I'm in and will bring the ratchet! What is the total count of people? Is there a need for the Binford 8000 for a BBQ?

Mr.242

WTF.gif That sucks. sad.gif .... cause Fiats to me have always been pretty darn ugly....I think you need to esplain the binford 8k. chowtime.gif ......We mite need to take my truck(a real one) if where hauling stuff and chit av-943.gif
aircooledtechguy
Sept 12th sounds good to me; I'm definitely in. I don't currently have a tranny in need of rebuilding, but am now on the hunt for one.

The Binford 8K. . . pray.gif chowtime.gif beerchug.gif I've got $50 toward a pig. Lets make this an event!!
Todd Enlund
I count Evil + 21 souls at this point. Wow.
Rav914
I'm in. The 12th is a little far out but right now looks great.

I've got a tailshifter I'll be bringing.
rhodyguy
i'm in. mike(dr), you might consider asking for a nailed thread that could be removed after the event. the thread will be at the top of the front page for the next 2 months. folks will get tired of it. jack, we can work out something on one of my spares if you want to do a trans. want to split a room?

k
Dr Evil
Excellent!

Paying guests please PM me and let me know which clinic you are in for. I keep getting PMs from people saying "I'm in" but I dont know for which one wink.gif
21 smile.gif
mstein95
I saw the required tools list - is there a materials list (i.e. rebuild kit) or are the materials provided in the fee?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(mstein95 @ Jun 18 2009, 01:50 PM) *

I saw the required tools list - is there a materials list (i.e. rebuild kit) or are the materials provided in the fee?

From post #35, "For the day of I supply gloves, rags, cleaners, parts trays, aluminum baking sheets for parts cleaning spots, sarcasm, foul language (when no kids around), etc."

I need to post the pertinent stuff like this in the first post smile.gif

Seal kits are available for $40. If you intend to bring a tranny I need a list of problems you are having with it so I can generate a parts list. There will likely be some cores there that can be cannibalized for cheap used parts, as well. smile.gif
Dr Evil
So, are we down for J P Stein's now? I am unclear as to where this unholy event will happen. Pig roast, eh. I have never been to one, but I love the swine chowtime.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 18 2009, 10:14 AM) *

If you intend to bring a tranny I need a list of problems you are having with it so I can generate a parts list.

The problem I'm having with my tranny is that I've never driven my car smile.gif
BKLA
Sorry guys, I haven't really checked the threads in a while except to double post (Eeeek) yesterday on a cool car.

If we really have 21, I don't have enough garage space to set up 21 tables and keep us under cover and dry. Todd has been to my shop/garage so he knows. September is usually good weather here so I would be happy to host a BBQ for those attending.

Another thought - I have friends who own a couple of vacant warehouse spaces in portland that just might work (for no charge - if we keep them clean and clean up after ourselves) but I would need to check if there is interest.

Dr. E - PM me if you want to talk about more details and I will give you my numbers.

I am in - at a minimum - for a tranny class! (Bras and panties optional smile.gif )
Dr Evil
The first thread has been updated with the important info.

Brett, I'll be in touch. I am waiting to clear a migraine first dry.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 18 2009, 09:23 AM) *

i'm in. mike(dr), you might consider asking for a nailed thread that could be removed after the event. the thread will be at the top of the front page for the next 2 months. folks will get tired of it. jack, we can work out something on one of my spares if you want to do a trans. want to split a room?

k

Kevin, you guys are welcome to crash at my place too. I might run out of beds, but I have plenty of room.
Dr Evil
I cuddle roughly biggrin.gif
championgt1
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 18 2009, 10:23 AM) *

k

Yeah. Lets figure something out. How is the trans in the red car?
pete-stevers
i am in....i will bring a tranny or two,
i will plan on staying a nite, at a local hotel if necessary
and can bring some crappy canadian beer
and i've gained some weight, but i think the thong will still look great
i can bring a few,
but if you want them washed, that is gonna be extra biggrin.gif
i think craigs place would be great, lots of room in his shop
and is close to hotels, or we can pitch tents with the cows outside
but i have not heard or seen him on the board for a while
montoya 73 2.0
Do we have a consensus on where it's gonna be yet? Was it said to be at J P Steins or Shade Tree? Portland is a 5 Hour drive for me. My leash isn't that long so can we keep it no further than Portland (wife's request)? PLEASE!! if it is than I probably will attend anyways but the tranny in the back seat of my jeep will be unhappy and asking all the way "are we there yet"?

21+ people is alot! Do we get a "i survived the PNW tranny clinic" shirt?
scotty
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 18 2009, 10:31 AM) *

Excellent!

Paying guests please PM me and let me know which clinic you are in for. I keep getting PMs from people saying "I'm in" but I dont know for which one wink.gif
21 smile.gif

w00t.gif We're just so excited!! No more grinding 1-2 shifts (darn that reverse)!
DNHunt
I'm in depending on the date. Bringing a box. Hard to get into 1st
J P Stein
I have a poblem with the 12th depending on the agenda. I have an Autocross on the 13th. I leave early on that morning and won't be back till 2 in the afternoon.
This can be worked around if any responsible person shows up. biggrin.gif
Jakeodoule
I could host, have a nice motorhome for a guest house. sleeps 3 if you don't want to cuddle. Also have plenty of parking if someone wants to camp in a trailer or tent. I'm lucky to have nicely finished shop. 1 section is 25x30 and the other is about 24x24. both sections pumbed with air, a nice part washer, two motorcycle lifts that make good tables and some other roll around tables. But 21 is alot of people. How many watchers and how many trani's?
I am 22 miles NE of portland airport
Dr Evil
I updated the 1st post to reflect who is paying and who is watching. Let me know if you are not on the list you should be on (I still need to tally spectators).

When we did this last time it was in a small 2 car garage with a 914 in the one bay and 14 or so people in the other. You will be amazed at how little room you need per person smile.gif Seats are nice and a table is as well, but the table is not necessary.

Jake, your shop sounds perfect and available. I am amazed at how many people stepped up to offer lodging. This is a great group and the event will be worth it. smile.gif

I will make certificates and if you want we can do shirts. I am sure Todd has an idea and oldschool can make them up.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jun 18 2009, 06:55 PM) *

I'm in depending on the date. Bringing a box. Hard to get into 1st

It will be the 12th of Sept.
pete-stevers
i am coming and will be paying!
Gary
Mike - I'm in for the payin' group. If memory serves, issue is 2nd gear synchro.
Dr Evil
I count 24 total with 9 students and 15 spectators smile.gif If you are on the wrong list in the first post then let me know. PM me if you are intending to be a paying student.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Gary @ Jun 18 2009, 08:42 PM) *

Mike - I'm in for the payin' group. If memory serves, issue is 2nd gear synchro.

Alright, I'll put you on smile.gif
championgt1
Mike, how about some of those uber cool evil werks shirts made up for purchase?
Eric Taylor
If I can get the time off this would be awesome! Would love to learn the black magic. I will have to freeload as I can't afford to put the tranny together. Should be awesome I'm monday wednesday off so that would be sweet smile.gif.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jun 18 2009, 09:35 PM) *

Mike, how about some of those uber cool evil werks shirts made up for purchase?

Jack, I am working on new shirts currently smile.gif They will be available before Sept for sure, and better than ever.
championgt1
aktion035.gif
J P Stein
Sounds as if Jakeodoule (if that's his real name biggrin.gif ) has a better set up than I.
Go for that.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 18 2009, 05:28 PM) *

I updated the 1st post to reflect who is paying and who is watching. Let me know if you are not on the list you should be on (I still need to tally spectators).

When we did this last time it was in a small 2 car garage with a 914 in the one bay and 14 or so people in the other. You will be amazed at how little room you need per person smile.gif Seats are nice and a table is as well, but the table is not necessary.

Jake, your shop sounds perfect and available. I am amazed at how many people stepped up to offer lodging. This is a great group and the event will be worth it. smile.gif

I will make certificates and if you want we can do shirts. I am sure Todd has an idea and oldschool can make them up.

Bring your own table. I had a split expandable work bench and it was a lot easier than working off the floor.

BTW - it was so fun I wish I had another box to build.... the only (-) is cleaning the outside.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.