Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PNW transmission rebuild clinic planning thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Jakeodoule
Traffic is like any city. Some days you fly up 205 at 5pm others you don't
I would take 205 and not I-5 Coming from the south. I live about 1 hour from the 205/I-5 interchange thats in moderate traffic. I drive it at least once a week at rush hour. Rarely does it take more than an hour and an half. Its really not all that bad unless shit major crap goes down.

J P Stein
I can think of only 2 places that have that much brass. The speedo drive screw gear (not likely) and one type of mainshaft intermediate plate bearing cage (bloody likely). The finely ground texture does not bode well for the rest of the works.
Jakeodoule
The speedo drive is stripped... Leaks bad and is broken....
I guess I'll know next week... I may have to drink to numb the pain... drunk.gif
Dr Evil
John,
I would bet your input bearing is toast as that is the cage you are seeing in that pic. The speedo drive is made of the same color material. I have a drive if you want it. Let me know, I'll hook you up.
Jakeodoule
That cage your seeing is the oil drain pan....
I have not taken anything apart yet.

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 1 2009, 11:22 PM) *

John,
I would bet your input bearing is toast as that is the cage you are seeing in that pic. The speedo drive is made of the same color material. I have a drive if you want it. Let me know, I'll hook you up.

6freak
It appears my friend you have shaveing in your gear oil headbang.gif ...Not good and the colors not right either idea.gif ...............I bring a T-bone to slap on the grill and some Crown Royal chowtime.gif ...what else do you need Jake
Jakeodoule
I would say everyone just bring what you want to drink/eat. If we want to go together on a big meal thats cool too. It would be easier to cook and serve than 10 or 15 sep meals. Somebody mention RIBS? I just don't have time to organize it and shop for all the stuff. I am tight with time next week as I will be out of town till wed night. As I mentioned before I have no delivery of any food here at the house. There will be a gas grill/micro/oven for use anytime your hungry. I have plenty of fridge/freezer space for food and we'll just keep the beer/pop in coolers on ice. If you have a good sized cooler maybe bring it with a bag of ice. My wife and I are tea drinkers, So we only have a small coffee maker in the MH. anyone is welcome to use it but it only makes about 4 cups... If your a Coffee addict/snob (I know a few of you are coming from Seattle) you may want to bring your setup. There is a little store 2 miles away and box stores about 8 miles. So if we need reinforcements it won't be too much trouble. Well just send one of the lackeys thats just watching.

Is the count on the 1st page of this thread accurate Dr.?

Oh yea, I have a cool little HO slot car setup. If you have any cars, bring em.
Dr Evil
Yup, the count is accurate so far as I know wink.gif

I dont drink coffee either. I cant bring food so someone needs to feed me biggrin.gif
my928s4
I will be coming down Fri eve, hopefully start heading out about 3.

If someone wanted to go organize some food for the group and we split the cost I think that would be a neat idea rather than us all bringing in packed coolers or taking trips down the road all the time. Just a thought ... I would do it if I was local.

Really looking forward to this event if my box needs more attention than I thought smile.gif
Jakeodoule
Since most people will have eaten when they should up Friday just some munchies will do.
We could just figure out the food thing Friday night and then somebody can make a run Sat morning...
pete-stevers
i will have to pop into a grocery store on the way down, i can't bring any food across.
I will be running down the 5 but could some one please pm directions or just the address
i maybe tenting it
i am expecting a 5-6hour drive
DNHunt
I'm going to try to come down to party Sat night. I'll be tenting.

Dave
Todd Enlund
I live close to White's Country Meats, and I can get 12oz bacon wrapped Filet Mignon for $6 each. I'll check and see what I can get ribs for. I could also stop by one of the farmers out here and get some corn on the cob.

I'll plan on making a batch of ABTs.
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hope these photos do a better job of showing the condition

I can't tell you anymore about the rib receipe. It was handed down from generation to generation. Well actually, my older brother found it on the net and told me...

The details are going to cost you a beer or two
Dr Evil
1st looks good from what I can tell. Take of the slider! I need to see the teeth.
6freak
my box needs more attention than I thought smile.gif

she whispers in your ear
And you thought you were done sheeplove.gif

av-943.gif

Im bring`n a 4+7 table as well ..and a cooler with ice ....anyone up north wanna ride down in the RV your more then welcome.So far it just my brother and I.Got room for at least two more folks
Todd Enlund
Hey Doc, you need a pickup at the airport?
Dr Evil
Nope, Jake is picking me up. If it is easier for everyone for you to do it that would be cool. LMK jake/Todd
montoya 73 2.0
PanelBilly - I had to ask the guys at work if they heard about that recipe, One guy said anything marinated in rootbeer is good! Your more than welcome to a few beers.

Question to whomever? What is a good product to clean-up a tranny? I was thinking Simple Green or some good Ol' foamy bright.

Click to view attachment
Jakeodoule
Hey Dr. It would be alot easier for Todd to pick you up. I will prolly have guys showing up around 7 or so. I thought you were coming in in the afternoon...
If Todd can get you that would be great.
If you get me a list of the stuff you want I can get it next week.

Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Sep 3 2009, 08:35 PM) *

Hey Dr. It would be alot easier for Todd to pick you up. I will prolly have guys showing up around 7 or so. I thought you were coming in in the afternoon...
If Todd can get you that would be great.
If you get me a list of the stuff you want I can get it next week.

Sure, I can do it. I'll even give you the option of where I'm going to bring you... you can crash at my place, or we can head straight for Battleground and camp out.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 2 2009, 10:15 PM) *

1st looks good from what I can tell. Take of the slider! I need to see the teeth.

Get me a hint. What is the slider?" Does anyone have a photo of their tranny showing the view that he wants to see?
Dr Evil
The slider is the thing that slides up and down and selects 1st or reverse. There is a fork attached to the shift rod that retains it. Take the 13mm bolt out of the fork and slide the slider and fork off together and take a pic of the underside where the pointy teeth interface with the pointy teeth on the gear.

Todd, which ever is closest, your place or Battleground, is probably best. I have no preference.

I'll get in touch about the shopping list.
Dr Evil
RE: my928s4 gear stack

The parts need to be cleaned off to be 100% sure.

3rd slider side – go
3rd Teeth – go
3rd Synchro – go

2nd teeth – no go
2nd slider teeth – cant tell
2nd synchro band – no go

4th teeth – hard to tell, might be OK
4th slider teeth – cant tell
4th synchro band – needs to be cleaned off to tell

5th – completely obscured

1st – teeth are worn and can be replaced, the rest is obscured
914werke
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Sep 2 2009, 10:46 AM) *

i will have to pop into a grocery store on the way down, i can't bring any food across.
I will be running down the 5 but could some one please pm directions or just the address
i maybe tenting it

Steve I PM'ed you.
Jake Im still planning on dragging the trailer down fri. its a 16-20' prowler if that make a diff.
Quick Q: is there anywhere to ride a moto-x bike on or near your location? Trying to determine if I should bring the son or not. He'll need to occupy himself so I was thinking Id bring his xr80 & or my xr100 to play on.
my928s4
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 4 2009, 10:13 AM) *

RE: my928s4 gear stack

The parts need to be cleaned off to be 100% sure.

3rd slider side – go
3rd Teeth – go
3rd Synchro – go

2nd teeth – no go
2nd slider teeth – cant tell
2nd synchro band – no go

4th teeth – hard to tell, might be OK
4th slider teeth – cant tell
4th synchro band – needs to be cleaned off to tell

5th – completely obscured

1st – teeth are worn and can be replaced, the rest is obscured

OK lets try these pics.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
1st and 2nd synchro bands are toast, 1st slider is barely passable in the pic, I have better used ones. 2nd teeth look bad. 1st teeth can be replaced. By the looks of the 2nd band and teeth I would estimate that your slider ont he 2nd side is poo as well.
-2x synchro bands
-1x 1st slider
-1x 2- slider

When you pull the input and out put shafts apart, how much play do you get??? Can you take a pic of the bearing in the intermediate plate?
my928s4
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 4 2009, 09:23 PM) *

When you pull the input and out put shafts apart, how much play do you get??? Can you take a pic of the bearing in the intermediate plate?

If I try and pull the two shafts apart I would say there is play, does not feel tight.

What do I have to take apart to show a pic of the bearing? Looking at the exploded diagram it shows a bearing in both input and output shaft.

Chris
Dr Evil
More than about 1/16" play is too much. You can pnly get a pic of the input bearing under 1st gear (the small one). The rest will require disassembly so dont bother. You most likely need an input shaft bearing. Its good others are bringing core boxes to part as I think I may run out of parts smile.gif The whole PNW will be shifting like a dream after this!
Jakeodoule
I would say the area by my house is not really for younger riders. Most of the trails round here are close to expert. I ride my beta trials bike on a lot of them. They just lead off into the woods. for miles. I don't have any trails on my property.
Unless someone went with him to show him which trails to take, he could easily find himself at the bottom of a mean rocky hill....

Trailers not a problem.
See you friday.

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 4 2009, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Sep 2 2009, 10:46 AM) *

i maybe tenting it

Steve I PM'ed you.
Jake Im still planning on dragging the trailer down fri. its a 16-20' prowler if that make a diff.
Quick Q: is there anywhere to ride a moto-x bike on or near your location? Trying to determine if I should bring the son or not. He'll need to occupy himself so I was thinking Id bring his xr80 & or my xr100 to play on.

Dr Evil
It looks like Todd and I need to come on Fri since there will be so many of you there smile.gif I already have your monies so if you decide you dont like me on Fri night, too bad tongue.gif Just kidding. wink.gif
914werke
Doc will you cover conversion of a tail to side shift box?
914werke
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Sep 4 2009, 10:09 PM) *

I would say the area by my house is not really for younger riders. Most of the trails round here are close to expert. I ride my beta trials bike on a lot of them. They just lead off into the woods. for miles. I don't have any trails on my property.
Unless someone went with him to show him which trails to take, he could easily find himself at the bottom of a mean rocky hill....

Trailers not a problem.
See you friday.

Thanks then Ill prolly leave him home biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 5 2009, 01:25 AM) *

Doc will you cover conversion of a tail to side shift box?

Ya, it is easy and doesnt require any extra effort if you are already rebuilding your box.
my928s4
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 4 2009, 10:02 PM) *

More than about 1/16" play is too much. You can pnly get a pic of the input bearing under 1st gear (the small one). The rest will require disassembly so dont bother. You most likely need an input shaft bearing. Its good others are bringing core boxes to part as I think I may run out of parts smile.gif The whole PNW will be shifting like a dream after this!

This is about the best shot I could get, not sure it shows much though.

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
That shot actually tells us a lot! You have the aftermarket steel caged version of that bearing. This is a great thing as they are much stronger. There has been a large increase in the incidence of broken output shaft bearings, but you need to be able to pull some parts that I will help you with to see it. No worries.
PanelBilly
Any of you guy willing to haul my tranny and a folding table down so I can drive my new SL? I can haul a load of ribs in the car, but not the tranny and table too.

Parts are in Auburn and I need to gather up all the tranny stuff, but I could have it ready early in the week.
Dr Evil
Dude, it is for RIBS! Please smile.gif
Jakeodoule
Leave the table, Bring the ribs, trani and SL.
I've got at least 6 work stations no problem. can maybe come up with 2 or 3 more. I was just think if anybody had a good table and could bring it they should.

my928s4
Doing some more cleaning and came across this, me thinks this not good. When I pulled the drain plug it was more than full of shavings and I bet some of it was from here ....

Good news is the case is finally looking somewhat respectable ....

Click to view attachment
my928s4
Here is a pic of the case, would not believe how long it has taken to get like that .. must have leaked from every orifice for 20 years and then some underseal just to top it of.

Click to view attachment

Wonder if I should pick this up on the way down and see if it has a better gearbox than mine ....

1974 project on Craigslist
Dr Evil
The roughness in the center of the gear is normal, it is the factory way they are. The roughness of the Reverse (flat) teeth however is due to habitually grinding R wink.gif

$700 for a car. I hate you Westerners. That car would be double here or more.
914werke
Another question: is there a benefit to using the 911.xxx.xxx 901 case w/the extra boss at the bottom (ala tail shift) vs the 914. case ?
Dr Evil
No, none at all. It may actually be a detriment as the vent is in the wrong spot and might interfere with placement in a 914.
helios
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Sep 2 2009, 08:45 AM) *

Is the count on the 1st page of this thread accurate Dr.?

I'll be heading down to spectate. I may bring the 914 if weather looks decent. Still need to get the wipers operational.... headbang.gif

Jake, could you PM directions. I'll be tenting it.
JRust
Drained both boxes & pressure washed them. They cleaned up pretty darn good. I did notice my box for my LE has had the tranny ears welded back on. I'd like to replace it with one that hasn't been broken if there is an extra there. I am bringing a spare tranny for parts. It has the rear cone but is broken by the speedo hole. So looking for one spare tail cone for a side shifter.

Everything is ready to go. Spare tranny apart in a box. "H" gear is in a box in the box. Foldup table is ready. Now I just need to coordinate with anyone wanting to caravan up friday night biggrin.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 8 2009, 10:49 AM) *

Drained both boxes & pressure washed them. They cleaned up pretty darn good. I did notice my box for my LE has had the tranny ears welded back on. I'd like to replace it with one that hasn't been broken if there is an extra there. I am bringing a spare tranny for parts. It has the rear cone but is broken by the speedo hole. So looking for one spare tail cone for a side shifter.

Everything is ready to go. Spare tranny apart in a box. "H" gear is in a box in the box. Foldup table is ready. Now I just need to coordinate with anyone wanting to caravan up friday night biggrin.gif

I'll bring a couple for your perusal......cheep, too.
thompson-mfr
How many people are actually driving their 914 to the event? I am planning on it!

thompson-mfr
here is the link to answer!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=99178
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 8 2009, 10:49 AM) *

Jamie, I will be coming up around 5:30 - 6ish around your way. Give me a call / text or PM me the address.

This is going to be a kick ass weekend!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.