Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PNW transmission rebuild clinic planning thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Gary
Are we still looking to start at 0930 Saturday? I think I'll head down from Tacoma Saturday a.m. (Friday night commitment).

Do ya think we have enough cores? The carnage from the teardowns makes me a teeny bit concerned. I really want a rebuilt box when I'm done. Hope it's just a syncro, but the pictures of other peoples boxes makes me think that's optimistic.

I'll be coming down in the Passat, not a 914, but will haul a table and tools and the tranny biggrin.gif .
Gary
Oh, and somewhere I saw a post of what tools to bring, but don't see it now. Guessing a socket set, regular and deep. Beyond that, not so sure...
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Gary @ Sep 8 2009, 08:29 PM) *

Oh, and somewhere I saw a post of what tools to bring, but don't see it now. Guessing a socket set, regular and deep. Beyond that, not so sure...

This is what I was told,

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1182289
JRust
Wow I just picked up 2 tailshift Tranny's tonight. Should have plenty of parts biggrin.gif . So I am now bringing a total of 5 tranny's. Only rebuilding 2 so we should have some backup in case we run low. I know Evil is bringing alot & so is JP.
scotty
QUOTE(Gary @ Sep 8 2009, 08:22 PM) *

Are we still looking to start at 0930 Saturday? I think I'll head down from Tacoma Saturday a.m. (Friday night commitment).

Do ya think we have enough cores? The carnage from the teardowns makes me a teeny bit concerned. I really want a rebuilt box when I'm done. Hope it's just a syncro, but the pictures of other peoples boxes makes me think that's optimistic.

I'll be coming down in the Passat, not a 914, but will haul a table and tools and the tranny biggrin.gif .

Ditto to Friday...I'll probably only be there all day Saturday (starting school year is a pain, need Sunday for prep).

Will I finish? confused24.gif Don't know...don't really remember what problems the magic box has! Not the important part -- getting started, understanding wtf I'm doing is.

Bringing one tranny, towels, box of vinyl gloves (large) to share, tools, table if I can scrounge one, and...beverages to share.

I don't think that will all fit into the 914...darn. Looks good weather-wise!
Dr Evil
Scotty, you will finish. We will make it a priority.

Tools needed:
-13mm socket
-14mm socket
-wrachet
-vice grips (large is good)

Tools that are nice to have:
- Set of drifts
- Large crescent wrench
- Hammer
- Larger pin pliers

Things I will be supplying:
- Aluminum work surfaces (disposable flat cookie sheets)
- Aluminum parts wash basins (disposable roast pans)
- Brake cleaner
- Carb cleaner
- Rags
- Foul language, dirty jokes, methane, beer recycling, etc.

I was going to supply gloves, but I forgot to get them today and I am going to be out of town Wed to Thurs. If I get into town before Harbor Freight closes I will get gloves, if not I need either John to grab some or people to bring their own.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 8 2009, 10:04 PM) *

If I get into town before Harbor Freight closes I will get gloves, if not I need either John to grab some or people to bring their own.

I have a box.
Larouex
Apologies for the newbie question, but what is a "Set of Drifts"?

Larouex
Jakeodoule
I have gloves too.
After cleaning my trani today, I found a pretty good crack on the bell housing....
I'm not sure if I sould have it welded before this weekend or wait till I get it all apart.

Our community leaders here have nothing better to do so they renamed a street on the way to my house (just last week.) so I will be resending the directions. Those coming from the north need to heed the new directions.

Should be a fun weekend. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

Jakeodoule
I need to know how many are bringing motorhomes/camping trailers..... And a estimate of time of arrival
While I should have enough parking for all the cars. I don't have a lot of level parking. So I need to have an idea ahead of time. I would request anyone with an RV to stop at the bottom of the driveway, and walk up to see where we are going to put you. Its not a problem to get RV's up the drive. It just that you should look at it and plan out where your parking and turning around...... Those with cars go to the top of the driveway and we'll unload your stuff and show you where to park.

Todd Enlund
I'll have a tent, and I should be there with Dr. Evil at around 8:30-9:00 on Friday.
Dr Evil
I'll be bringing my gee-tar for around the camp fire so anyone who has an ax or other acoustic noise maker should do the same smile.gif The more you drink the better I sound wink.gif

Larouexuyx,
Drifts are metal rods that come in various sizes to punch out pins and such. Harbor Freight sells sets for cheap that you can abuse and toss smile.gif
DNHunt
Can you PM me directions? I should arrive in time for beer Sat night. Don't forget about Emory's down in McMinnville. As I remember he has boxes of parts. You have to go through then but, he may be a resource.

Dave
6freak
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Sep 8 2009, 11:26 PM) *

I need to know how many are bringing motorhomes/camping trailers..... And a estimate of time of arrival
While I should have enough parking for all the cars. I don't have a lot of level parking. So I need to have an idea ahead of time. I would request anyone with an RV to stop at the bottom of the driveway, and walk up to see where we are going to put you. Its not a problem to get RV's up the drive. It just that you should look at it and plan out where your parking and turning around...... Those with cars go to the top of the driveway and we'll unload your stuff and show you where to park.

1 26" Motorhome
1 7x4 table
1 cooler for drinks
1 weekends worth a food
1 brother
1 tranny
1 5th of Crown Royal

So $125.00 for fuel
$40.00 for food
$30.00 for booze
set`n around a camp fire listening to a bunch of drunk goofballs singing ...Kume,ba,ya Priceless.. funny as hell...LMAO
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(6freak @ Sep 9 2009, 07:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Sep 8 2009, 11:26 PM) *

While I should have enough parking for all the cars. I don't have a lot of level parking. So I need to have an idea ahead of time. I

1 26" Motorhome
1 7x4 table
1 cooler for drinks
1 weekends worth a food
1 brother
1 tranny
1 5th of Crown Royal

So $125.00 for fuel
$40.00 for food
$30.00 for booze
set`n around a camp fire listening to a bunch of drunk goofballs singing ...Kume,ba,ya Priceless.. funny as hell...LMAO

av-943.gif

I'll have my VW Bus to camp out of so a 14'X6' plot of "fairly level" area would be appreciated but not necessarily required. I can stick it anywhere that fits.

Guitars are cool. I've been to many group camp-outs and the only thing that causes problems is the d@mn bongo bangers @ 2am. . . blink.gif Can we preemptively ban bongos?? rolleyes.gif
JRust
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Sep 8 2009, 11:16 PM) *

I have gloves too.
After cleaning my trani today, I found a pretty good crack on the bell housing....
I'm not sure if I sould have it welded before this weekend or wait till I get it all apart.

Our community leaders here have nothing better to do so they renamed a street on the way to my house (just last week.) so I will be resending the directions. Those coming from the north need to heed the new directions.

Should be a fun weekend. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

My parts trannyhas a good case/bell housing. Your welcome to it. Guts are all out so it is ready for yours biggrin.gif . So if you decide not to weld yours. Mine is yours for hosting blink.gif
914werke
1 F150 SCREW
1 20" trailer
1 6x3 table
Steve Peters
4 901 boxes in various condition
Tequila + or some other Libation

biggrin.gif

Jake Steve is coming down from CA so we could be there early afternoon.

914werke
QUOTE(6freak @ Sep 9 2009, 07:34 AM) *

1 26" Motorhome
1 7x4 table
1 cooler for drinks
1 weekends worth a food
1 brother
1 tranny
1 5th of Crown Royal

So $125.00 for fuel
$40.00 for food
$30.00 for booze

What no Tranny jokes lol-2.gif
montoya 73 2.0
1 - Jeep Commander
1 - Transmission
1 - Cooler (food & libations)
1 - foldable table (2' x 4')

Caravan up with JRust
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 9 2009, 11:38 AM) *

No, but everyone will be making fun of your 20" trailer... you got the Barbie corvette too? av-943.gif
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Sep 9 2009, 01:40 PM) *

No, but everyone will be making fun of your 20" trailer...

I was thinking that my damn self. lol-2.gif

Oh damn 6freak has a 26" motorhome too!

Come on guys, don't need the shift button.
helios
1 tent. Maybe 1 car (might ride down w/ Nate on friday).
JRust
I'll bring a box of gloves too! I'm going to hit up Harbor freight before I come up. Be happy to grab whatever there that is needed. I'll get a set of Drifts for myself. If anyone needs something & doesn't have one close. Shoot me a PM & I'll grab it for you biggrin.gif
914werke
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Sep 9 2009, 01:40 PM) *

No, but everyone will be making fun of your 20" trailer... you got the Barbie corvette too? av-943.gif

No its the GI Joe urban assault Trailer! aktion035.gif

Thats what I get for copy & pasting chair.gif
my928s4
If this weekend carries on anything like this thread the weekend is going to be a riot.

Realized I do not have any vice grips, will head out to HF tomorrow and grab some bits.

Apart from packing some supplies into the cooler I am ready to go!
6freak
Someones cheeks are gonna hurt after this weekend blink.gif
thompson-mfr
QUOTE(6freak @ Sep 9 2009, 02:38 PM) *

Does Dr. Evil whip you with a belt if you ask dumb questions lol-2.gif
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(thompson-mfr @ Sep 9 2009, 03:07 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Sep 9 2009, 02:38 PM) *

Does Dr. Evil whip you with a belt if you ask dumb questions lol-2.gif

huh.gif gayfight.gif hide.gif
Mr.242

I am making sure there is a BBQ or grill!

I grabbed up 50-60 oysters for grilling! That outa help out the "bunking up" and if it lasts longer than 4 hours......we already have a Doctor in the house! He will take care of you!

Also, anyone coming from the Camp 914 area? Any chance to bring some parts from there I have paid for?

And...........I can't wait to touch my TRANNY!

Mark
montoya 73 2.0
You know this was coming...

Click to view attachment
Jakeodoule
Yes on the BQ.
I have a good sized Gas Weber and a smoker...
I also have a large 2 burner camp chef cooker with 2 burners, griddle and grill.
We will have a full outdoor kitchen setup right outside the garage door.
So if you want to bring beakfast stuff thats no problem.
There is plenty of fridge space for food. I have a fridge in the shop, as well as the Motorhome.

Getting my trani's crack welded tomorrow......welder.gif

lol-2.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Sep 9 2009, 05:25 PM) *

Yes on the BQ.
I have a good sized Gas Weber and a smoker...

Sweet. I just bought 6 lbs of bacon... I'll make a bunch of Atomic Buffalo Turds. chowtime.gif

I didn't have time to brew the beer, but I'm picking up 5 gallons from Hopworks Urban Brewery on Friday.
J P Stein
I should be able to make it Saturday if not Sunday....still up in the air.
I'll bring parts, a 30mm deep throat socket, air impact wench, a pair of Godzilla (snap ring) pin pliers, Torque wrenches, smoked salmon, a mic & shop manual, Dave's tool.......Ya'll gots smash.gif ?, my special tools .....iff'n I can find em', gear pullers...
JRust
Only one more day of work before the real work begins biggrin.gif

I am way to excited to be going anywhere to work WTF.gif

I need to pressure wash & drain the 2 tailshifters I picked up tonight. Then get everything all loaded. Always works better if I load the night before. I am more likely to remember the things I forgot the next day & can still get them before I leave confused24.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Same here. Gotta go get the Kielbasa sausage, booze and etc. Then go home and load it all. Can"t wait to get this party started!

340.gif 351.gif 287.gif

Oh, and a little work on the Transmission!
Jakeodoule
Those with Motorhome's or trailers PLEASE don't forget to stop at the bottom of driveway... Right after you pull onto the gravel. Just park and walk up. Its only like 100yards. But the parking may need planning. Those in cars just cruise up to the top. the shop is behind the house. My driveway is gravel and a little steep in one spot (very short). If you stop on that spot you will have a tough time of getting going again. So just cruise right up all the way to the top. There's lots of room. Then you'll turn around. I only tell you this because a delivery dude stopped on the little hill, couldn't get going again, then tried to back down and ended up in my pond. Took a crane to get him out. lol-2.gif It was awesome! I have enough parking, but just! and it'll be tricky to make sure the campers can get in after about 6 or 8 cars are here.
The sooner you get here with your RV the easier you'll have it. But we'll work it.
No worries!
I'm really Lucky to have a great place in the woods to throw a party like this and I can't wait to share it with everyone.
I have only one thing to ask. Please do not throw cig butts on the ground. I can't stand the fact that the world is an ashtray. Thanks.

Party On!

scotty
Sweet! Now to clean and drain my transmission (make it cleaner and emptier) in time for Saturday.

Wheee!
Dr Evil
Dudes! This sounds like more fun than work. OYSTERS!!!! Hell yes. I like them raw, but if done right on the BBQ I have enjoyed them as well smile.gif

I just packed my suitcase and after putting in the 35# or so of parts and tools, I managed to get the case to about 60# total with clothes dry.gif Jeeez. I should have shipped most of this stuff. I am shipping the SoCal stuff lest my luggage weigh 100#.
montoya 73 2.0
I'm packed and ready to go. Work half day today and on the road at about 1 pm from Southern Oregon!
aircooledtechguy
I'm out of here @ noon and headin' south with Chris (Helios) in the bus. Packed and ready for a great time!! beerchug.gif aktion035.gif
my928s4
Looks like I won't be getting out of here till 3pm, I am thinking I will be there about 9.

Going to take 14 all the way across, love that road in my 928 but still somewhat enjoyable in the SUV.
thompson-mfr
There has been some talk about fancy beer, but do most people like Coors Light for drinking durring the day? Sorry in advance if Coors Light OFFENDS anyone!

There is a distributor close to me that has pretty good prices.

I need to contribute something to this weekend!
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(thompson-mfr @ Sep 11 2009, 09:58 AM) *

There has been some talk about fancy beer, but do most people like Coors Light for drinking durring the day? Sorry in advance if Coors Light OFFENDS anyone!

There is a distributor close to me that has pretty good prices.

I need to contribute something to this weekend!

Hey Ryan, bye1.gif Been meaning to get back to you about the fuel pump situation. talk to you about that this weekend. Bring the beer, I need something to steam my kielbassa sausage in. beerchug.gif

I'll drink a beer or two with you. I'm bringing some fancy beer also.
thompson-mfr
The more Beer interest (Coors Light) I get the more I will BUY!!!!

Need feedback!!!! beerchug.gif
JRust
Very cool. I'm leaving work about 1. Still have to get those 2 tailshifts to pressure washed & drained. Then get my rig cleaned out & loaded. Didn't quite get to it last night sad.gif . My excursion will be pretty well loaded. 5 transmissions plus all my other crap.

Montoya (sorry forgot your name allready) I will see you this afternoon.

As far as seats for working. Seems like my liitle harbor freight stool doesn't sit real high. Anyone think some bar stools would be better for working on the tables?
Todd Enlund
I'm headed out to pick up the beer. I'll stop at the produce market and pick up some corn on the cob (8/$1.00). I have fixin's to make Atomic Buffalo Turds.

I'll be picking Dr. Evil up at ~7:30, and heading to Battleground VFR direct.
PanelBilly

[/quote]

Me too, but I won't be there until Saturday morning.
thompson-mfr
OK, hopefully I didn't go overboard on the BEER......like that is even possible.

3X 18 pack Coors Light CAN
1X 18 pack Coors Light Bottle
2X 12 pack Blue Moon for those that are too good for the light and I wanted a little variety!

Hopefully this will give me some mooching credit

The moment I don't buy enough of something is the moment I run out!
mstein95
I've been know to inhale a Coors Light or two. beer3.gif

Count me in for some. I'll reimburse of course.
thompson-mfr
[quote name='PanelBilly' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:50 PM' post='1213502']
[/quote]

Me too, but I won't be there until Saturday morning.
[/quote]
If we drink that BEER all tonight, I won't be there until Saturday morning either!

drunk.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.