Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gulf Blue Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PanelBilly
Today Tom came by and helped me figure out most of the engine wiring. We also installed an inertia fuel pump cut off.

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Yesterday I bead blasted the upper valve covers and the covers for the timing chain cases. Today I blasted the timing chain cases themselves. The valve cover and the case covers are going to be powder coated. the cases will just me natural. Before and after

Click to view attachment

I also used some scrap vinyl to over the "press" lable on the seat belts that wsa faded away and ugly. Not OEM, but the car is so modified, it doesn't matter

Click to view attachment

I also made a deal to move my car to a shared garage in Seattle. There's 5 GT3's there and a bunch of other cars in various stages of life. All the tools I could ever imagine and a lift. Sure will be easier to install the engine with some room to work.
PanelBilly
Strange the photo double posted , but only shows once on the page where I typed.
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment

Tonight's lesson.
You can't pre-assemble the wiring harness to the alternator because the wires only fit through the schrod in one direction. Well I got practice screwing the alternator to the fan housing
PanelBilly
Installed the carpet today, Thanks URY.

Click to view attachment
Qarl
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 7 2014, 11:27 PM) *

Installed the carpet today, Thanks URY.

Click to view attachment

Your interior looks gorgeous! Love the steering wheel in this setup. Looks like it belongs!

aircooledtechguy
Billy, your car is looking GREAT!!! beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
Picked up the air cleaners from powder coat today. Wheels are done too, but the tires aren't mounted yet. I'm busy tomorrow, so I'll get them on Friday

Click to view attachment
Daiberl
Time for me to come down and take a look as well as help you I think, great progress! Where will you now install the engine, Ralph Meaney's place?
PanelBilly
The shared shop is run by a fellow named Scott. I think it will be a great place to finish up the car.
sixnotfour
Scott...Ralph...Colin... and renters
PanelBilly
Today, I got my wheels back from the powder coated. Outside is silver and inside in custom color to match the car. I also got the valve covers and timing chain covers back. Now if the machine shop could just get to my engine

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914forme
Just read all 6 pages, this is a great looking build. Keep up the very clean work. Can't wait to see this car completed.
nsr-jamie
Nice !! What kind of car is the steering wheel from? Very cool and the entire car !!
PanelBilly
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Apr 12 2014, 09:40 AM) *

Nice !! What kind of car is the steering wheel from? Very cool and the entire car !!

It a one off
2mAn
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 11 2014, 04:05 PM) *

Now if the machine shop could just get to my engine

thats the hardest part...waiting... my engine build on my BMW has been 10 of the 12 months this swap has been taking. machine shops are almost as bad as paint shops.

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 12 2014, 11:55 AM) *

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Apr 12 2014, 09:40 AM) *

It a one off

not sure if serious huh.gif

Hang in there, just keep plugging away at the other bits so that when the motor is ready you can drop it in and drive it. nothing worse than having a running car that you arent driving yet because XYZ is missing
PanelBilly
Wheels are on and the car is off the jackstands. I thought it was time to update my avatar, but with this tile operating system, I can't seem to resize the picture so it will work. I need to buy another camera. This phone has a crappy camera

Click to view attachment

Cairo94507
SWEET!
arkitect
Great looking car, love to see it in person.

Dave
PanelBilly
Rods are on the crank and assembly is actually in progress. I was told that the Kennedy flywheel wasn't in balance (at least to the standard of the guy who is doing the engine). I'm glad he's got high standards.

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
I picked up two of the metal targa hinge covers and replaced the plastic ones that I had on the car. The plastic was OK, but they were both a little warped. I painted the covers with some undercoat spray and they came out looking very much like the leather on the pad. I'm sure glad I had used stainless steel square head screws on the pad. Made removal and installation much easier.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Today I added some vinyl under the seats where the carpet didn't cover the silver sound padding. I also installed
the thresholds that I got from 914Rubber.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dale73914
Have just spent the last hour reading this when i should have been working smile.gif

Must say, the standard of your work and attention to detail is impressive, car looks to be coming along very well.

A question, who retrimmed the seats and is it a kit that is available online ? They look great.

Cheers

Dale
PanelBilly
Ordered a Quickjack today. In about a week I should be able to work under the car a lot easier
Tom
Billy,
I have everything ready on my end. Put together the hot start relay harness this weekend and tested. All OK, just waiting for the engine to be assembled to the point where we can complete the electrical work on the harness. Can't wait to see this all come together.
Don't forget the tach adapter for the MSD unit.
Tom
Justinp71

Nice build, looks like your doing a 3.0 or 3.2? What are you doing for heads?

Justin
Justinp71
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 27 2014, 02:44 PM) *

Ordered a Quickjack today. In about a week I should be able to work under the car a lot easier

Nice, I noticed they only raise the car to 22" will that be enough for you? I was contemplating those as well...
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 27 2014, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 27 2014, 02:44 PM) *

Nice, I noticed they only raise the car to 22" will that be enough for you? I was contemplating those as well...

I can add pads to raise it more if needed.
falcor75
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Apr 12 2014, 06:40 PM) *

Looks very much like a stock 964 non-airbag steering wheel?
PanelBilly
I got a set of metal letter from Bruce Stone and cleaned them up with some sand paper. Didn't find the thread on spacing, so I got out the ruler and put them on as straight and even as I could. The camera phone just doesn't get the color right

Click to view attachment
aircooledtechguy
Billy, you car is simply a stunner!! I can't to see and hear your car in person at a future GTG. beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ May 28 2014, 08:09 PM) *

Billy, you car is simply a stunner!! I can't to see and hear your car in person at a future GTG. beerchug.gif

I can't wait to hear it too. I stopped by the machine shop today and the builder was working on the heads. He said something about improving the flow of the ports. Then he said he was off to Paris to spend a week with his daughter. I guess I'm not going to be hearing the engine this month
PanelBilly
The lift arrived today. I'm splitting the cost with my brother. I'll post a photo of the car in the air later. For now, here's what it looks like right out of the box.

Click to view attachment
Daiberl
Looks nice, when will we see it in person, any work get-togethers planned to help with the car?
PanelBilly
Waiting on the engine. Tom is helping me get all the electrical lined up, but engine goes in first before we run the wire.
Tom
Billy,
I will need about two hours prior to engine install to get everything ready. It can be after engine install, it will just be harder with the engine in.
Tom
914_3.0
Just read it all, and it looks awesome. Nice work, and great to see you getting a long term project going again. I'm interested to see how your Quickjack works as well. Hope you get the lump back soon!
PanelBilly
I sent my oil pump off to Henry Schmit for a rebuild and flow improvement. Came back 6 days later! That's service!

Click to view attachment
Tom
Billy,
Got off my butt and finished your trans console bushing today. New one inner dia. is 0.590" while the old one was 0.617". So now it will be 0.027" tighter. New ones are 0.605". I guess they do not think the shift rod wears down over time as well as the bushing.
Tom
Luke M
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 17 2014, 03:46 PM) *

I sent my oil pump off to Henry Schmit for a rebuild and flow improvement. Came back 6 days later! That's service!

Click to view attachment

You mind sharing what this cost you.
I have 2 pumps that I need to have looked over for a future project.

Thanks,
Mark Henry
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 17 2014, 06:46 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I was wondering what he does for "flow inprovement"?
I surfaced mine for tighter tolerances, radiused a few sharp edges and DFL (dry film lube) the interior of the pump.

I can't see it needing much more improvement... the freaking pump is huge.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jun 20 2014, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 17 2014, 03:46 PM) *

Click to view attachment

You mind sharing what this cost you.
I have 2 pumps that I need to have looked over for a future project.

Thanks,

$180 plus shipping both ways
PanelBilly
I slotted the brackets that attach the engine lid to the body and used the new quick disconnect hardware to install it. I don't remember if there is a rubber trim between the grill and the lid. I'll need to check 914 Rubber's site. Never painted the ribs under the grill black. Not sure if I'm going to or just leave it alone. Blue looks nice through the grill anyways.

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Finely some good news on the engine. The heads have been machined and the new valve guides are installed and reamed. The builder is off in the San Juans for a week, but his assistant reports that assembly is close. I see where he ground some material from the inside of the head where the valves seat. I have know idea what he's doing. Something about flow is all I heard him say. Just trusting that he knows more than me on this stuff.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

effutuo101
nice! looking good.
PanelBilly
I was at the engine shop yesterday and found out that they were looking for the green vitron o rings that I had requested they use for sealing up the case. They had a gasket kit, but it has the blue rings (which I understand leak) and I want the engine to be as leak free as possible. Tried to order them from Pelican, but can't find them in the catalog. Left a "help" message for their parts department. Damn, I knew this would happen. Thing is ready to put together and were waiting for a part!
PanelBilly
Got the o rings from Pelican and dropped them off at the builder yesterday. He said the assembly would begin next week.
PanelBilly
Don't know if I'll ever install a radio, but since I left a hole in the fender, I put in an antenna. One of the best deals I got for this car. Only $15 from Pelican

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Put the refinished trim on the sail panels today

FourBlades

Looking really nice man! chowtime.gif

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.