Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gulf Blue Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Tom
Billy,
Finished with the wiring diagram except for a few final issues. To get the oil pressure gage wiring to the console, I am using #9 on the car harness that ran to the heater lever. That wire is green/white and will have to be extended about a couple of feet to reach the console. I have the soldering type connectors and heat shrink to make a great splice, just need a length of green/white wire, 14 gage and about 10 feet long. I will need to add a connector to the engine harness at position #9 with about 6 to 8 feet of the green/white also. Would you have this wire already or can you get it? Also the coil wiring from the MSD to the coil is black( I have some) and orange ( don't have). Same thing here, about 8 to 10 feet of orange ga.12 (14 ga. will do also). If you can get those let me know and I won't search for them.
Here is a picture of what I have. View it and let me know if you see something I have missed or done incorrectly.
Tom
914GTSTI
Very nice build !
Randy beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
Here's the new main fuse block that Tom makes. I'm not sure if the wiring is configured the way he likes it yet, but its easy to unbolt the bar and move them around.

Click to view attachment
napasteve
Panelbilly,

First, your build is simply incredible and following this thread has been a treat.

Maybe I missed it in some earlier post but can you tell us about the origin/displacement of the engine?
PanelBilly
The engine is a 3.0 out of a '79 SC. I picked it up from a shop that had agreed to sell it for a customer who was having a 3.2 or 3.6 put in for them. It was a running engine, but I never started it. Somewhere on this site is some documentation of me taking the engine apart
PanelBilly
I installed some more nutserts in the back of the engine bay to bolt in the voltage regulator.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Nice build ...I like it biggrin.gif
PanelBilly
I mounted the oil catcher to the engine bay.

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
I had the vent tube cut off and a bung welded on the filler neck so the hose would fit to both it and the oil breather. Axles should be shipped tomorrow!

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Looking forward to seeing this car running.
PanelBilly
Today my brother Al and Jurgen (did I spell your name right) came over to give me a hand

Here's the engine ready to go

Click to view attachment

The axles were put on

Click to view attachment

The engine was slid into place

Click to view attachment

PanelBilly
Then with much coordination it slipped into place

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

PanelBilly
A few issues:

I need to get the plates that are on top of the transmission mounts and the big washer that goes on the bottom. Can't find them in my pile of parts.

I went to connect the axles to the transmission flange and realized the wheels would turn. It was the bolts! They're too long. Here's a photo of them on the transmission side. Looks to me like the wrong size got put with my order. I hope I didn't mess anything up when I tighten them to the wheel hubs

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
And here's the two helper (who did most of the work)

Click to view attachment
Evil Older Brother
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 25 2015, 04:43 PM) *

And here's the two helper (who did most of the work)

Click to view attachment

If I had known you would photo my ass, would have gone commando!
Damn that car is finally getting together. Can't wait to see you driving it.
altitude411
Super clean & looks great (engine) & thanks for "no plumbers ass" but.... confused24.gif
JRust
Awesome Billy! So close to firing it up piratenanner.gif
Mr.242
Are we going to have a "fire it up" day where we gather on a Tuesday?

Teener Tuesday?!
Cairo94507
first.gif That has to be so satisfying to finally see the engine and car together. Great job.
Camaro Mike
Congratulations!
PanelBilly
Got the engine mounts in, but still need to tighten all the bolts

Click to view attachment

And here's the transmission mounts, but I need to flip over one of the top plates

Click to view attachment

And the axles are bolted up

Click to view attachment

Now to make sure the engine is lined up right. Not sure how this is done yet.
Cairo94507
Man that is looking very nice. first.gif
Phoenix914
What's with the dust on your suspension? stirthepot.gif Just kidding! Your car is awesome. Mine will never be that clean.

PanelBilly
Jim came by yesterday and helped me get some more work done. We got some of the bolts in the tin on. Its one of those jobs that takes one person
above the engine and the other under. We got the transmission rod installed, but I still need to do the alignment.

I got the muffler ( or is it called a final) installed and I relocated the MSD box because it was too close to the rain hat.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I was hoping to get the clutch and trottle cables done, but needed to order some hardware to finish the job. Also needed to order the hard oil line that comes off the bottom of the case.
PanelBilly
I got the fittings attached to the braided lines. That was more work than I expected. I was hoping that I measured them correctly, because they looked short.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
I attached the bottom oil line to the tank before installing it

Click to view attachment

Then I bolted in the tank

Click to view attachment

Maybe this will help me to remember what a pain it is
to get at the back bolt
PanelBilly
Here's the view of the line as it comes off the oil cooler
Its not touching anything, that's an optical illusion.
My son in law dropped of a claws foot wrench I can use to
tighten the fitting

Click to view attachment

And I still need to install a support, but the drain is in a good location

Click to view attachment

6freak
nice work Billy ..address that E brake cable touching the header
smile.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(6freak @ May 23 2015, 07:13 PM) *

nice work Billy ..address that E brake cable touching the header
smile.gif

It's another illusion. Not touching.
PanelBilly
Got the filler neck. filter mount, and all of the rest of the oil system finished today
Needed to use a mirror to put the bolts into the filter mount.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Got the fuel lines and filters connected today

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Changed the angle of the oil pressure gauge on the block, so it
is easier to read

Click to view attachment

and added some hangers for the cables so they were out of the way

Click to view attachment

Then i connected the clutch cable so I could figure out how much
I want to have it shortened. There's a guy in town that makes cables and he said most likely he could fix it for me
francar
clap56.gif
PanelBilly
I go the bolt to plug the o2 hole in the headers

Click to view attachment

and I have the battery installed, but didn't do the negative yet dry.gif

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
I attached the negative side of the battery today. Headlights were backwards. Raised in the off position and lowered in the on. Easy fix. The alarm for the key in with the door open seems to be going off sometimes. I'm thinking that's one of the door switches.
Added oil.
I cranked the engine over just to see if the starter worked and everything sounded normal. I need to find my spark plugs. They must be somewhere.
turk22
Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
I thought I'd update the build thread now that the car is moving under its own power.
I installed a new exterior mirror on the driver's side. It sure is nice to be able to see what's behind me.

Click to view attachment

And thanks to Bob I have a combo gauge now

Click to view attachment

and I drove the car to gas station tonight. I still need to bleed my brakes and get
an alignment. Front end sure is light under power and I'm thinking a corner balance will reduce that.
KELTY360
Outstanding! Ready for prime time. smilie_pokal.gif
Larmo63
Very cool thread to read and an inspiration for guys like me who are starting out on the other side of that tunnel that you are almost all the way out of.

beerchug.gif
jmitro
unbelievable! beerchug.gif aktion035.gif
RoadGlue
Congratulations! You should be proud of this build. Look at what a beautiful car you now have. Awesome.
rick 918-S
Very nice
PanelBilly
Time to tie up some details. I got the alignment done last week and one of the trailing arms is bent, so it will need to be replaced. Even though its not perfect, the drive home
from the shop was much better than the one before the alignment.

I got the front spoiler painted with some texture paint so it will be a reasonable match to the LineX coating I had put on the rockers. This winter, I'm going to modify the spoiler
so it matches the flairs better, but for now, it acceptable.

Click to view attachment

I got the wipers painted and installed.

Click to view attachment

Finely, I installed the engine cover. The car looked kind of cool when the engine was exposed, but now it looks complete.

Click to view attachment

Now I need do get all the gauges operational
turk22
Its beautiful!
Johny Blackstain
drooley.gif thumb3d.gif
PanelBilly
I got my new targa trim in the mail today
Click to view attachment

and here it is on the car

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Looking beautiful first.gif
gereed75
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 14 2015, 11:43 PM) *

Where does one get new targa trim?? I thought it was NLA.
mepstein
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Oct 15 2015, 07:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 14 2015, 11:43 PM) *

Where does one get new targa trim?? I thought it was NLA.

Its been available for a while. Pricey at around $125/each
EdwardBlume
Where did the front spoiler come from? Is it wider for the flares?
AZ914
Awesome build, Billy! Makes me wish I painted my shroud and valve covers when the engine was out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.