Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gulf Blue Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PanelBilly
Seats were installed

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
I got this crazy idea to make my own fabric dash face. After carefully making two of them trying to get it right, I decided I didn't like the look. I glued on the OEM one that came with the car.

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Here's the basketweave

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
I got the glove box door installed now and the springs on both sides weren't difficult to install.

Click to view attachment

PanelBilly
Click to view attachment

its much easier if the vents are removed
PanelBilly
I installed new rubber seals in the front trunk and the doors today. Not sure what direction the seal between the fuel and tire should face, but its easy enough to reinstall.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
I also go the steering wheel installed

Click to view attachment
Evil Older Brother
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 20 2013, 03:33 PM) *

I also go the steering wheel installed

Click to view attachment

Nice wheel. Wondered when you were going to show off what you got on your honeymoon. Interesting is that this was the only thing your seemed proud of!
CptTripps
Looking great man!
Daiberl
Nice progress! I will try to come down in the next couple of weeks, hope you have something to do then so that I can help.
PanelBilly
I needed the retainer clip that holds the fog light lens in place, so today I made one. Just need to get a set of seals from 914Rubber. Looked like it was going to be easier than it turned out. Forming small parts is harder than larger ones.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 3 2013, 11:20 PM) *

I finished assembling the drivers door and mounted the interior face that I had made many years ago. Its leather and I should have stored it laying flat.
Hopefully the wrinkles will relax. I couldn't find all the square nuts that fit in the retainer clips for holding the passenger door handle on, so that one isn't on yet.

A heat gun will get rid of the wrinkles. Just use it carefully.
CptTripps
Just curious: What did it cost to have Line-X spray the underside?

I did the cabin with roll-on stuff on my last build, but there have been a LOT of advancements in the last 10 years in the DIY Bedliner market. If it's easier, I'd just have a company like Line-X spray the bottom and interior when I was all done with the body.

Rock-It Liner from SEM looks to be the "DIY" version of Line-X. 2-part system that I can spray on at home. That may be the better route, so I can control how much is applied and how thick it gets.
OU8AVW
On the same note, what product did you use on the interior for sound deadening? That's up soon on my to-do list....
CptTripps
Mike: look on eBay for a roll of "fat mat". I picked up 3'x33' roll for $60. Nearly identical to the Dynamat I bought last time...for about 8X the price.

I also saw a few YouTube videos about this stuff. I'm half tempted to try it.

http://bit.ly/1dUpnwe
aircooledtechguy
Billy; Glad to see you making progress again on this gem.. Go Billy go! beerchug.gif

I use Fat Mat here at my shop with fantastic and affordable results. A heat gun or even a hair drier is a must to get it properly bonded to the metal. The adhesive stick like crazy with a little heat when applied. If no heat is used, it could come loose on roof sections when it gets cold (not an issue with these cars. . .)
CptTripps
I never even thought of using it on my roof. Interesting idea.
PanelBilly
Made the down payment on the machine work for the engine today. Also placed the order for new pistons. Valves and a shit load of misc stuff. Not everything I'll need but a large percentage of it. I'd love to do the assembley, but after investing so much I to materials, I'm scared of screwing it up.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jan 24 2014, 12:56 PM) *

I never even thought of using it on my roof. Interesting idea.

I don't use it on these cars on the roofs. I use it on steel roof cars.

Using heat is critical to getting sound mat to properly bond to a metal surface. It's this proper bond which enables the sound mat to dampen the vibrations in the metal body.
CptTripps
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 24 2014, 08:03 PM) *
I'd love to do the assembley, but after investing so much I to materials, I'm scared of screwing it up.

I can COMPLETELY appreciate that! After spending a ton of money...and seeing a pile of perfectly good pieces/parts...it's tough to NOT spend the extra "little more" to make sure it's done right.
PanelBilly
Let's see if this works. Its the 3D of my piston

Click to view attachment
saigon71
Man you do nice work! beerchug.gif

What's the ETA on the engine?

Evil Older Brother
Nice Billy. Using the old art skills again.
I said art, not fart,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
PanelBilly
I can't take any credit for this. It's the final mock up from Wiseco.
PanelBilly
Little jobs done, but every step is one closer

New radio delete plate

Click to view attachment

New interior light

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
So when's the debut?
PanelBilly
Eta is April. Then comes install and tuning.
jm993rs

Very good work !! aktion035.gif
cary
Nice work ................
PanelBilly
I got my message today that Webcam is shipping my cams, Jerry Woods is sending the modified distributor and new plug wired and my half shafts are clean and ready to go to the powder coater with the shift rod section that is exposed in the engine bay. I worked on my list of things to do/buy last night and I added more than I marked as done!
bulitt
You deserve alot of credit for sticking with this for ten years!
Running Soon piratenanner.gif
PanelBilly
I can use help. Willing to feed you and keep the fridge in the garage stocked if you want to come by this weekend. Lots of things to do. Some take talent, some don't.
PanelBilly
Today I stopped at Triad to pick up my headers and muffler. I dropped them off on the way home to be ceramic coated a gloss silver. When I got to the front door, I found my cams!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Today I pulled the stack out of the transmission to send off to Dr.E. Since he can't make it to Seattle next month, I'm sending it off to him for a transformation.

Click to view attachment

I spent the rest of the day digging in every box in the garage as well as the storage unit we have. I pulled out everything that was 914 and turned the spare
bedroom into a parts shop. Found the 2.0 muffler bracket I needed as well as a bunch of other stuff. Next week I need to drop off a batch to be powder coated.

Put the car back on jack stands, so I could pull the wheels off. They need to be cleaned and re-painted.
PanelBilly
I need to get the tires pulled off, so the wheels can be cleaned up and painted. I'd like to find a center cap with an unpainted crest in metal for them

Click to view attachment
Daiberl
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Feb 19 2014, 01:42 PM) *

I can use help. Willing to feed you and keep the fridge in the garage stocked if you want to come by this weekend. Lots of things to do. Some take talent, some don't.

Hi Billy,
I was on vacation, else I would have stopped by. PM me if you need help on one of the next weekends.
OU8AVW
I have a set of wheel caps off some phone dials, might do the trick. Silver, basic crest....
PanelBilly
I got my distributor back from Jerry Woods. Its been modified for the carbs and has the wire for the MSD.
I also dropped off a pile of parts at the coater today. Half shafts will be red, bunch is misc will be black and the fan and its housing will be titanium. I need to get the rocker covers from the machine shop as they will be titanium too.

I got to see my headers, but they weren't ready to be picked up yet. Maybe tomorrow

Click to view attachment
JRust
Looking good! So great to see this build coming together. Such a beautiful car. Can't wait to see it on the road. Keep it up beerchug.gif
Johny Blackstain
popcorn[1].gif thumb3d.gif
PanelBilly
Got the re-chromed fog light grills back and mounted. Used the specrachrome paint process on them and it works

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Having a hell of a time with the locks for the targa top. After I got them installed, one of the c clips popped off. Everything still works, so I think I'm going to leave it for now. To access the clip I need to pull the pad off the top of the targa bar again and that's a pain. It will be a good job to do next winter when its too wet to drive the car.

I had the tires dismounted from the wheels and dropped them off to be powder coated.
PanelBilly
The flywheel from Kennedy showed up today. Now the crank can be balanced.

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Lots of stuff today! The diffusers that go between the cylinders and guide the flow of air came back from the powder coaters

Click to view attachment

The alternator that was rebuilt and the fan casing and fan (the ring that secure the fan belt is still at the shop).
Its actually titanium colored, but the camera lighting made it look black

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And the headers and muffler

Click to view attachment
quadracerx
WOW... Everything looks great!! Ill give you a call tomorrow...
PanelBilly
I couldn't get much done this week. Work and St Patrick's came first. I did get the half shafts, the muffler hanger and the shift rod back from the powder coater.

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Lets see what showed up now....

Lower valve covers with the ribs already machined

Click to view attachment

Hardware for oil lines with a drain

Click to view attachment

Oil retun tubes ( or whatever they're called)

Click to view attachment

and pistons the old ones on the left and new on the right

Click to view attachment

and a starter that I had rebuilt

Click to view attachment

r_towle
Great to see you working and painting again smile.gif

Now you just have to assemble all those parts,,,,,like a real life jigsaw puzzle
jaxdream
Will that shift rod work with a six ???

Jacck
PanelBilly
Yes the Triadwest headers work with a stock shift rod
jaxdream
thumb3d.gif
I asked cause I've seen pics of sixer's with other rods . you obviuosly have done your homework aktion035.gif .

Jack

p.s. Love the Blue !!!!!!! wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.