Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gulf Blue Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Mblizzard
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 23 2014, 07:04 PM) *

I picked up two of the metal targa hinge covers and replaced the plastic ones that I had on the car. The plastic was OK, but they were both a little warped. I painted the covers with some undercoat spray and they came out looking very much like the leather on the pad. I'm sure glad I had used stainless steel square head screws on the pad. Made removal and installation much easier.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Where did you find the metal covers?
PanelBilly
Mr Stone
JRust
Looking great Billy! I vote for painting the ribs black on your engine lid. While the blue looks nice. I think it looks better with the Ribs black. The ribs themselves really aren't that appealing(to me). So I like them being the same black as the grill. Having said that your car is gorgeous & will look great however you do it.

Great news on your motor piratenanner.gif . Good to hear things coming together for you. It's been a long haul but will be totally worth it. I see many awards coming your way first.gif
PanelBilly
Got a call from the shop today and the engine is nearly done. They just need to do a few more things. Somehow I misplaced the oil sump cover (or its in their shop somewhere), so it looks like I need to get another one.
PanelBilly
The engine work is nearly complete and I'll be bringing this baby home to get it ready for INSTALLATION. I need to figure out why the 2 bolts hanging out of the
timing chain covers are so long and if they should be replaced with shorter ones. There's also some long bolts for the engine mount that i suspect should be
replaced with shorter ones.

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Get that thing back on the road!
driving.gif
PanelBilly
The engine is in my garage now!
PanelBilly
So the engine goes together. First the alternator wires need to be pulled through the shroud and the rubber grommet needs to be set.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then the wires slip through the inner cover that directs air evenly over the cylinders.

Click to view attachment

Then bolted to alternator.

Click to view attachment

Ground wire to alternator case is a challenge to do.

Click to view attachment

PanelBilly
Fan housing strap was more fun.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And now I'm trying to decide what hardware to use to secure the shroud.
Just used some bolts that were in the scrap pile.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom
Looking nice Billy. Sent you a PM about the wiring harness mods.
Tom
PanelBilly
When I checked the size of the holes in the shroud with the insulators, I could see that I needed to trim the holes a little larger. I've read that this is normal, so I was prepared.

Click to view attachment

It wasn't too hard to grind the holes, I just had to make sure that none of the dust ended up in the engine.

Click to view attachment

I figured I'd mock up the carbs and see if there was going to be any more problems, but it all fit great.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

PanelBilly
But I'm missing one of the fastener clips to finish the fiberglass block off trim that mounts to the front of the shroud. I have 3 of the 4. Anybody have an idea where to find them? I check 2 stores today, but no luck. I'm going to Ace tomorrow. They seem to have a large selection.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And I see that there are 3 holes in the shroud. Anybody know why they are there?

Click to view attachment

And do I need these 3 bolts sticking up from the block?

Click to view attachment
Tbrown4x4
Looks great Billy! Something so perfect about triple throat Webers on a flat six.
puffinator

And do I need these 3 bolts sticking up from the block?

Those 3 bolts are for an accelerator bracket for the CIS injection. You don't need them with carbs.
puffinator
In regard to the 3 holes. The one on the right, in your picture (passenger side) gets a plastic plug, the one on the left is for a bolt holding a "heat source" funnel to push air down to the heat exchanger (see my picture). The one on top is for a plug that holds spark plug wires on CIS engines.

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
More work done today. First I have the braided ground cable attached

Click to view attachment

And the block off plates for the front of the shroud

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

PanelBilly
And the PMOs are all mounted up with the linkage

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
And since I had a box of plastic plugs, I capped all the holes in the shroud

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
So this is where it stands. Now I need to figure out what sending units will be mounted to the engine and order up some new ones. Tomorrow I'm going to start the headers and fan belt. Then the tin

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Too pretty to put in a car.
JRust
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 22 2014, 06:06 PM) *

agree.gif That is one sweet looking motor Billy. Way to pretty though confused24.gif. It really needs to go in a dirtier car otherwise it will just be over the top. I suppose I could throw it in my old v8 car to help you out blink.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 22 2014, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 22 2014, 06:06 PM) *

agree.gif That is one sweet looking motor Billy. Way to pretty though confused24.gif. It really needs to go in a dirtier car otherwise it will just be over the top. I suppose I could throw it in my old v8 car to help you out blink.gif

I thought you were into the hybrid thing. This car is all Porsche
KELTY360
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 22 2014, 06:42 PM) *

Am I the only one to notice the dust on the hats? I think you're going to have to repaint them Billy. poke.gif

Simply fabulous...I'm sure it will sound as good as it looks.
PanelBilly
Not paint, they are powder coated. Wipes clean
rhodyguy
Mcclendons has a pretty extensive metric selection. Try the Renton store.
JRust
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 22 2014, 08:03 PM) *

I thought you were into the hybrid thing. This car is all Porsche

Hey to help out a friend I can go all Porsche. I'm giving that way evilgrin.gif
billh1963
Beautiful engine! I'll be curious to see how you like the PMO's.
aircooledtechguy
WOW!! pray.gif

Good things really do come to those who wait. . . I'm lovin' watching this car come together!!
type2man
That oughta run good!!!!
PanelBilly
Headers were installed today, but i quickly learned that you can't Install both of them and turn the engine back over. So the second one goes on while you sit on the floor and try to hold the gaskets in place

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Here's the bottom view

Click to view attachment

And from the top

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
And then the exhaust

Click to view attachment

But I assembled it without the gasket. I thought I had one. I'm going to look a little more before I order a set

Click to view attachment

The engine is looking closer to ready

Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see it in the car.

Just wondering if it might not be easier to put the headers on after the motor is in the car? You will definitely want them loose at the heads when you go to mount the muffler and bracket to the back of the transmission. I learned that the hard way on my 4.

Keep it up - I have been watching this thread for a loooonnnngggg time!
Cairo94507
Seriously - get that baby in the car already!
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 7 2014, 07:02 AM) *

Seriously - get that baby in the car already!

Like you don't have a car on jackstands.... chair.gif
PanelBilly
Today the oil pressure sender arrived and I have the throw out bearing finished

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Broke one of the exhaust studs yesterday while I was torking them up. I should have just replaced all the studs before I started!
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 6 2014, 04:28 PM) *

wub.gif

popcorn[1].gif
PanelBilly
Today I got the timing marks scratched in the flywheel and color coded them.

Click to view attachment

Here's the clutch mounted up

Click to view attachment

And the transmission mounted up without much fuss. Rebuilt starter needs one more bolt. I'll need to pick one up next week.

Click to view attachment

Now I need to find the gaskets for the muffler and get that mounted up.
Cairo94507
Very nice aktion035.gif
PanelBilly
I needed the car high enough so I could slide the engine in, so by combining the new lift with some wood blocks, I got. I just didn't trust the lift, even though it has a built in cross bar to lock it. I stacked up some wood 4x6 blocks and stuck the jack stands on top. Just another level of safety. Not too much work to be done and I'll be dropping it back down to bolt in the engine.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mblizzard
While the 6 x6 blocks rarely fail, I always use something to tie them together like a crank strap or pipe strap with a wood screw into each block.
Evil Older Brother
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 30 2014, 06:44 PM) *

I needed the car high enough so I could slide the engine in, so by combining the new lift with some wood blocks, I got. I just didn't trust the lift, even though it has a built in cross bar to lock it. I stacked up some wood 4x6 blocks and stuck the jack stands on top. Just another level of safety. Not too much work to be done and I'll be dropping it back down to bolt in the engine.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Remember your evil older BROTHER in your will.
At least be careful as we really like Julie.
PanelBilly
Working on details before the engine is in the way. I have the 14 pin connector back together and secured the brakelines so they didn't rub on the firewall.

Click to view attachment

I also ran the fuel lines up to the regulator and fastened them so they were out of the way. I drilled out the original holes for the lines so some larger grommets would fit. I need to find a clean way to block off the intake for the heater ducting that runs in the longs.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Billy, go to mcclendons and pick up a set of rubber pipe caps and ss screw clamps for the tubes. Next time run the center pieces of 6x at 90*. Less apt too tip over. What purpose does the piece of tubing, between the headers and case in post #182, serve?
Mr.242
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 4 2015, 11:27 AM) *

. What purpose does the piece of tubing, between the headers and case in post #182, serve?

Oil line that connects to the side tank.
rhodyguy
supply or return?
PanelBilly
I did find some rubber caps at McLendons and they worked perfect.
I need to clean off some of the dust!

Click to view attachment

I got the last of the engine tin mounted up and the throttle cable is done. I need to get the wiring organized and figure out where to mount the regulator.
I posted over at the bird site for suggestions on how to organize the harness. Figured lots of folks over there have done this. Any suggestions?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Mounted the MSD with nutserts or rivnuts (whatever you want to call them), so it could be removed and reinstalled easier. Pain in the ass making the single rubber

mount where the firewall angled back.

Click to view attachment

While I was mounting nutserts, I redid the fuel pressure regulator replacing the metal screws with bolts

Should have cleaned off the dust before I shot the photo

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.