Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 470.29.00076 - Meaney/Hendricks FIA, IMSA race car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
gms
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 21 2014, 05:06 PM) *

We buy wurth hardware by the box of 50.
New aluminum washers and nuts every race weekend.
Reuseable orange gaskets

I will see how the billet covers work, at the last race I had just adjusted the valves and put new gaskets, nyloc nuts and aluminum washers.
Dave_Darling
Perhaps try "mechanical locking" nuts instead of Nyloc? Ones that are deformed like the popular exhaust nuts?

--DD
gms
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 23 2014, 05:36 PM) *

Perhaps try "mechanical locking" nuts instead of Nyloc? Ones that are deformed like the popular exhaust nuts?

--DD

That is what the new nuts are...see above
rgalla9146
Who's had good luck with the re-usable orange silicone gaskets ?
I used them on my new rebuild (stock 2.0, orig 11 stud lowers) and was disappointed that they wept right from the start. Both intake and exhaust.
I used nice fat original alu washers and new nylocks.
Never has this problem with the grey or green gaskets
Sorry for the hijack Glenn
gms
Had a good day at the track on Sunday
The new covers and nuts I fixed finally stopped the oil leaks!
I ended up in 3rd place after many attempts to pass the 2nd place Alpha GTV
here is video of the start from the 240Z behind me
the race starts at 0:36, I am to the right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MNL-aM6hDA
gms
My friend Tim (who races a 914/6) and I finally took a picture of our cars together at the track.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Looks Great !! x 2 beerchug.gif
gms
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 9 2014, 01:06 PM) *

Looks Great !! x 2 beerchug.gif

Thanks Jeff
vintage914racer
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 9 2014, 08:36 AM) *

My friend Tim (who races a 914/6) and I finally took a picture of our cars together at the track.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I see that Tim will be at the Hawk next weekend at Road America. Will you be there with your car as well?
gms
QUOTE(vintage914racer @ Jul 9 2014, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Jul 9 2014, 08:36 AM) *

I see that Tim will be at the Hawk next weekend at Road America. Will you be there with your car as well?

I will be watching, My bodywork is not allowed Tim's is...don't ask me why
Will you be racing?
gms
Just received the new PMB alloy rear M-Calipers and I cannot wait to run them next season!

Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(gms @ Nov 12 2014, 10:51 AM) *

Just received the new PMB alloy rear M-Calipers and I cannot wait to run them next season!

Click to view attachment

Very nice, I couldn't believe how lite they are. aktion035.gif
IronHillRestorations
It's the recycled aluminum pop cans that make them so light wink.gif I heard Shea melts the cans down in his back yard
pnewman
19 April 2015
Black Hawk Farms
IL
beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
pnewman
Glenn leaving the shade for the paddock. Always nice to have a good friend keeping an eye out for you!
pnewman
I like the blue car Behind the pole position car. Can't remember it's model number though... probably not a "real" Porsche I guess ;-)

...and some last minute advise from a great friend is always a good send off. drunk.gif
pnewman
I am not quite sure why Mark and Mike look like they're feeling at home next to the Port-o-John. biggrin.gif
pnewman
Glenn, I said : "Cheese!"

I am still wondering if you were smiling? idea.gif
pnewman
Leading the pack behind the pace car.
pnewman
The race is on!
pnewman
Making a tight high speed turn at the end of the straightaway
pnewman
Getting lonely out in front biggrin.gif
pnewman
Hey! Where did everybody go? aktion035.gif
Yahmann
Hi

Very interesting to read all 14 pages. I realized I was racing in almost all the IMSA races the car was in. I remember it. In the 1984 races I was driving the "Mike Meyer Racing" Mazda Factory RX7 with Jack Dunham and in the 1985 races I was drive the Mazda Factory "Malibu Grand Prix" RX7 with Jack Baldwin as well as the "Malibu Grand Prix" Mazda Alba GTPL. In 1986 I was driving the AT&T sponsored Argo Buick GTPL and in 1987 the GM Factory Spice Pontiac Fiero GTPL with Don Bell. It is very cool to see that car survives and is still running in vintage races. That's what great about Porsches - people treasure them and the history - where are all those Mazda's now!!

Jeff Kline

Click to view attachment
stownsen914
Just saw this last post on the thread.

Jeff - if you see this, very cool to have you in the forum. I remember seeing pictures of the 914/6 you raced in Panorama magazine. I own an ex-IMSA GTU 911 that was raced by another NJ racer named Fred Apgar. He also ran a 914 in GTU previously around the time Ray Hendricks was racing. I hope to run the car in some vintage events in the near future. Perhaps I'll see you at one of them.

Scott
gms
QUOTE(Yahmann @ Apr 20 2015, 10:09 AM) *

Hi

Very interesting to read all 14 pages. I realized I was racing in almost all the IMSA races the car was in. I remember it. In the 1984 races I was driving the "Mike Meyer Racing" Mazda Factory RX7 with Jack Dunham and in the 1985 races I was drive the Mazda Factory "Malibu Grand Prix" RX7 with Jack Baldwin as well as the "Malibu Grand Prix" Mazda Alba GTPL. In 1986 I was driving the AT&T sponsored Argo Buick GTPL and in 1987 the GM Factory Spice Pontiac Fiero GTPL with Don Bell. It is very cool to see that car survives and is still running in vintage races. That's what great about Porsches - people treasure them and the history - where are all those Mazda's now!!

Jeff Kline

Jeff,
That is interesting, you have done a lot of racing over the years.
I see you drove Bill Koll's 911, Did you ever race in his 914/6?
gms
QUOTE(pnewman @ Apr 20 2015, 10:02 AM) *

Hey! Where did everybody go? aktion035.gif

I guess I should update with this years races so far (just in case someone cares)
Had a half a lap lead after about 1/3 of the race and the differential let go.
DNF mad.gif
Click to view attachment

miraculously none of the gears where damaged so I threw them in a case with a good differential and we were ready to race again.

Click to view attachment
gms
May 24, 2015, it was raining and I had a great day!
Click to view attachment

They did a Indy milk bottle trophy
Click to view attachment
gms
June 7, 2015
I didn't tighten the oil filler cap enough before qualifying and was only able to put in one lap because of the oil burning off on the exhaust, this placed me 5th on the starting grid.
I managed to get thru the traffic and win another race!
Click to view attachment
FourBlades

Nice work Glenn! first.gif

Keeping the old IMSA 914s winning. biggrin.gif

John
gms
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jul 24 2015, 11:24 AM) *

Nice work Glenn! first.gif

Keeping the old IMSA 914s winning. biggrin.gif

John

Thanks John, now get your IMSA 914 out there
driving.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 24 2015, 08:54 AM) *
Had a half a lap lead after about 1/3 of the race and the differential let go.
DNF mad.gif

Dave Ferguson had a pinion gear that looked similar to that one, though not quite as bad. (Still had about half the teeth on it, all on one side.) He handed it to me and asked, "You know what this is? Proof that I make enough torque!" All with that big s**t-eating grin of his...

Looks like you make enough torque, Glenn!

--DD
Yahmann
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 24 2015, 08:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Yahmann @ Apr 20 2015, 10:09 AM) *

Hi

Jeff Kline

Click to view attachment

Jeff,
That is interesting, you have done a lot of racing over the years.
I see you drove Bill Koll's 911, Did you ever race in his 914/6?

I never drove his 914-6, I think 1980 was the last year he had it and they also won GTU at the 24hr in it. I drove with him in 1981 and we were 3rd over all and 1st in GTU - we only spent 14 minutes in the pits in 24 hours. It was a pretty trick car. I drove all year with him, then back to Mazda. I drove with John Schnieder a few years ago in his 914-6 in vintage racing at Sebring and Barber Park when Elliot Forbes Robinson was busy. Very cool car with a Hewland Gearbox. Great balance. I also drove the Busby Miller Beer 962 several times in 1989 as a sub for Bob Wolleck when he had a conflict in Europe. I drove at LeMans that year also in the factory Silkcut Jaguars with Davy Jones and Derek Daly as teammates. I have driven over 150 different race cars but only ever owned 1 - a Lotus S7 in 1965. I sold it to get married in 1966 and I am still married to the same woman, but the Lotus is long gone.
gereed75
Yahmann... welcone and thanks for sharing the history with the world.
gms
Larry Lee posted pictures from an IMSA race back in 1985 that my car participated in.
1985 Watkins Glen 6 hrs
Thanks Larry!
Yahmann

Here is the finishing order - I was 15th - 3rd in GTPL - driving with Deborah Gregg (Peter Gregg's widow - whom I was involved with at the time during a moral time-out). The 914 was 24th - 3hr by yourself at the Glen is a long time to drive - Ray must have been pretty strong.

All IMSA results are available at http://www.racingsportscars.com going back to the 70's

1st 14 Holbert / Bell Porsche 962 Holbert Racing 92 2:48:19.917 178.219 1st GTP
2nd 67 Mass / Busby Porsche 962 BF Goodrich 92 2:49:35.310 2nd GTP
3rd 04 Redman / Haywood Jaguar XJR-5 Group 44 92 3rd GTP
4th 7 Bundy / Ludwig Ford Mustang Probe Zakspeed 91 4th GTP 1:40.260 69 195.144
5th 1 Al Unser, Jr. Porsche 962 Holbert Racing 91 5th GTP
6th 44 Tullius / Robinson Jaguar XJR-5 Group 44 90 6th GTP
7th 16 Dyson / Olson / Cobb Porsche 962 Dyson Racing 89 7th GTP
8th 4 Price / Baird Chevrolet Corvette GTP Lee Racing 84 8th GTP
9th 07 Lyn St. James Ford Mustang Roush Racing 84 160.951 1st GTO
10th 63 Downing / Maffucci Argo JM16B Mazda RGP 500 Racing 83 159.956 1st Lights 1:53.670 82 172.123
11th 56 Carter / Felton Chevrolet Camaro 83 2nd GTO
12th 93 Marsh / Marsh Argo JM16 Mazda Mid-O/Rusty Jones 82 2nd Lights
13th 98 Robbins / Watson Ford Mustang 82 3rd GTO
14th 91 Vincentz / Nierop Porsche 934 Electrodyne Performance 81 4th GTO
15th 75 Kline / Gregg Alba AR4 Mazda Malibu 80 3rd Lights
16th 9 Schubot / Vitolo Tiga GT285 Mazda Essex Racing 79 4th Lights
17th 76 Jack Baldwin Mazda RX-7 Malibu Grand Prix 79 152.598 1st GTU
18th 21 Nelson / Siegel Tiga GT285 Mazda Siegel Racing 79 5th Lights
19th 50 Terry Visger Pontiac Fiero Huffaker Racing 79 2nd GTU
20th 90 Riggins / Petery Pontiac Firebird Road Circuit Technology 78 5th GTO
21st 71 Amos Johnson Mazda RX-7 Team Highball 78 3rd GTU
22nd 95 Bob Leitzinger Nissan 300ZX Bob Leitzinger 76 4th GTU
23rd 31 Altman / Altman Porsche 911 Altman Bros. Motor Racing 75 5th GTU
24th 89 Ray Hendricks Porsche 914/6 Ray Hendricks 75 6th GTU
25th 13 Rubino / Mummery Mazda RX-7 Rubino Racing 75 7th GTU
26th 96 Jones / Jankowitz Porsche 914/6 Bruce Jones 75 8th GTU
27th 92 Greer / Mees Mazda RX-7 Aspen Inn 74 9th GTU
28th 51 Migoya / Gonzalez Chevrolet Monza 74 6th GTO
29th 29 Kimbrough / Overbagh Chevrolet Camaro OMR Engines 71 DNF 7th GTO
30th 34 George Hulse Porsche Carrera 71 8th GTO
31st 38 Roger Mandeville Mazda RX-7 Mandeville Auto Tech 66 9th GTO
32nd 17 Al Bacon Mazda RX-7 Al Bacon Racing 58 DNF 10th GTU
33rd 62 Robles / Marte Ford Mustang 54 DNF 10th GTO
34th 53 Danny Smith Mazda RX-7 Mandeville Auto Tech 52 DNF 11th GTO
35th 40 Hobbs / Schuppan Chevrolet Corvette GTP Hendricks Motorsports 47 Gearbox 9th GTP
36th 70 David Loring Mazda GTP Z & W Enterprises 45 DNF 6th Lights
37th 54 Zwiren / Dawe Mazda RX-7 Zwiren Racing 42 11th GTU
38th 68 Halsmer / Morton Porsche 962 BF Goodrich 41 DNF 10th GTP
39th 55 Bob Earl Pontiac Fiero Huffaker Racing 40 DNF 12th GTU
40th 5 Hans-Joachim Stuck Porsche 962 Bob Akin Motor Racing 38 DNF 11th GTP
41st 65 John Jones Ford Mustang Team Roush Protofab 35 DNF 12th GTO
42nd 27 Taylor / Hayes-Harlow Pontiac Firebird 35 DNF 13th GTO
43rd 39 Centeno / Burnett Porsche 911 32 DNF 13th GTU
44th 45 Bill Adam Hawk-March 85G Buick Conte Racing 21 DNF 12th GTP
45th 99 Chris Cord Toyota Celica All American Racers 20 DNF 14th GTU 2:00.460 3 162.420
46th 86 Leven / Wollek Porsche 962 Bayside Disposal Racing 18 DNF 13th GTP
47th 8 Kicak / Rynone Chevrolet Corvette 10 DNF 14th GTO
48th 77 Darin Brassfield Ford Thunderbird Brooks Racing 9 DNF 15th GTO 1:51.380 3 175.661
49th 22 Skeeter McKitterick March 84G Chevrolet Leon Bros Racing 6 DNF 14th GTP
50th 2 Sarel van der Merwe March 85G Porsche Leon Bros Racing 5 accident 15th GTP
51st 11 Steve Johnson Mazda RX-7 4 DNF 15th GTU
52nd 15 Kalagian March 85G Porsche Kalagian Ardisana
flyer86d
And 2 places back in 26th place were fellow NNJR PCA members Bruce Jones and Bruce Jankowitz driving Bruce Jones' ex Freddy Apgar 914-6. Those were great times. We were all a bunch of young 914 owners who joined NNJR in the mid to late 70s. We all started out doing DEs and some went racing either buying or building 914-6s. None of us were made of money, we all worked regular jobs and worked on the cars at night.

Charlie
gms
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Jul 30 2015, 10:57 AM) *

And 2 places back in 26th place were fellow NNJR PCA members Bruce Jones and Bruce Jankowitz driving Bruce Jones' ex Freddy Apgar 914-6. Those were great times. We were all a bunch of young 914 owners who joined NNJR in the mid to late 70s. We all started out doing DEs and some went racing either buying or building 914-6s. None of us were made of money, we all worked regular jobs and worked on the cars at night.

Charlie

Charlie,
If you worked on building my car would like to hear the stories
or have any picture please post them.
gms
Dion had this photo from Pocono in 1985
Click to view attachment
carr914
QUOTE(Yahmann @ Apr 20 2015, 11:09 AM) *

Hi

Jeff Kline

Click to view attachment

Welcome Jeff!

welcome.png
Doug914
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Jul 30 2015, 07:57 AM) *

Charlie

Hey Charlie. Long time bud. Yes that was a special time for us blue collar porsche 914 youngsters. We replaced money with hard work and suprisingly we were all pretty damn good drivers wink.gif. Every DE and Autocross was a 914 party.

Glen, I worked on your car alot - especially when Ray first got it. I actually went with him to see it when he bought it. Oh that crazy bright green paint! It belonged to NNJR member, and Freddy Apgar cronie, Jim Roach . I also bought a 1958 Speedster from the same guy around the same time.

When he first got your car, he didn't have any welders or fabricating tools, so it went to my garage for cage work as I had the MIG, TIG, and the hydraulic tubing bender. I built most of the cockpit cage as it only had a basic behind the head roll bar if i remeber right. I also built the camber boxes with his help later that winter. (1984 I think). It's first outing was in November (again 84' I think) at a Metro New York Region DE.. The track was the now defunct Bridgehampton. I went along as crew chief and he and Bruce Jankowitz shook it down. It didn't handle all that well because of a lack of front camber. Hence the boxes done soon after.
Glad to see that VCI sticker getting alot of mileage. I have newer version of it, but that was the original smile.gif

Doug Arnao
flyer86d
Doug, good to hear from you. Yeah, those were fun times. We had more than a few guys and gals that could make a 914 go silly fast. I guess that there are a few of us on this site also.

Glen, Doug is the guy who built the tube frame 914-6 from a set of Huffaker Fiero plans.(not the Altman car). He also redesigned it to use Porsche suspension. He has a little more talent than most of us mere mortals.

Charlie
stownsen914
I remember seeing Jim Roach and Freddie driving the 914 out at a Pocono DE one year when I was a kid. I recall it being an open car with a low windscreen, so that matches what Doug says above that it just had a roll bar. I was hanging around watching them work on it in one of the garages betweeen sessions. I knew Jim because he owned my parents' old 912.

Then I saw the 914 again a couple years later at another Pocono DE while I was scooting around the infield on my minibike. This time Ray was driving after he'd bought the car. I'm sure it was the fastest car at the event!
gms
Here is the ad from Panorama, although the history is not correct
Click to view attachment
gms
QUOTE(Doug914 @ Aug 26 2015, 06:56 PM) *

...I built most of the cockpit cage as it only had a basic behind the head roll bar if i remeber right...
Doug Arnao

Doug thanks for sharing the story of how the car was made
Do you have any pictures of the build?
blackmoon
Great read and stories, thanks for sharing and welcome
Doug914
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Aug 27 2015, 03:26 AM) *

Doug, good to hear from you. Yeah, those were fun times. We had more than a few guys and gals that could make a 914 go silly fast. I guess that there are a few of us on this site also.

Glen, Doug is the guy who built the tube frame 914-6 from a set of Huffaker Fiero plans.(not the Altman car). He also redesigned it to use Porsche suspension. He has a little more talent than most of us mere mortals.

Charlie

And actually the Altman Brothers car was inspired by my car when they saw it at Watkins Glen. I remember the look on their faces when they saw the double A-arm stuff under the skin. Many phone conversations followed. Initially they were going to use the huffaker stuff, but eventually they custom made all the uprights, but the idea was the same.
Doug914
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 27 2015, 07:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Doug914 @ Aug 26 2015, 06:56 PM) *

...I built most of the cockpit cage as it only had a basic behind the head roll bar if i remeber right...
Doug Arnao

Doug thanks for sharing the story of how the car was made
Do you have any pictures of the build?

No, sorry. I did go through my archives last night after all this discussion, looking for pic of all these cars. I did find some good pics of the fiero car showing the frame and suspension... The Orange SCCA GT2 car i have a zillion pictures of. And saved all the timing and results sheets, along with the pit setup/ timing sheets.

Bruce Jankowitz probably has pics of your car. I'll ask when i see him next. We're married to sisters.
Doug914
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Aug 27 2015, 05:55 AM) *

I remember seeing Jim Roach and Freddie driving the 914 out at a Pocono DE one year when I was a kid. I recall it being an open car with a low windscreen, so that matches what Doug says above that it just had a roll bar. I was hanging around watching them work on it in one of the garages betweeen sessions. I knew Jim because he owned my parents' old 912.

Then I saw the 914 again a couple years later at another Pocono DE while I was scooting around the infield on my minibike. This time Ray was driving after he'd bought the car. I'm sure it was the fastest car at the event!

Yes Scott, now that you mention it, i remember it was open. We put a windshield cowl on it (IMSA required it) leaned it back a bit and just let the roof slide back and bolted it in place. Did that on all my 914 racers if i could.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.