Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 470.29.00076 - Meaney/Hendricks FIA, IMSA race car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
flyer86d
Doug,

Ah yes, I remember, Walt Hantsho joined NNJR with a 914-6 and had four lovely daughters. More than one married a 914 guy!!

Sue and I celebrated our 40th this year and I hear Bruce and Kathy their 30th.

Life changes somewhat after kids.

Glen, I first saw your car when Bob McClurg owned it around 1975. It was still in Ralph Meaney's Conda Green with GT flares and all of the GT bits. Bob didn't do much with it before he sold it to Jim. I'm guessing that Jim chopped the windshield and updated the body somewhat.

Bob was busy resurrecting a 914-6 street car that was wrecked in the front by clipping a nose that he got from my ex- brother -in-law ( and best friend ) Klaus Hilgers. He completed that car but I lost track of it. It had 4 cylinder brakes an an early aluminum case 911 motor and was Black.

Charlie

Charlie
r_towle
You need more rear tire
gms
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 27 2015, 07:45 PM) *

You need more rear tire

I am only allowed to use 7"x15" wheels
dug
I cannot wait to get my car back on the track like yours!
rgalla9146

I wish I had spent more time with these ( NNJR) people at these events.
I met Doug and Jim Foster around 1982-83 and Fred Apgar a couple years earlier.
I went to 4 or 5 SCCA events with Fred and his wife with the blue 6
Because of them a 6 became the coolest car you could ever want.
To them owning the car (a racing car !) was just the start.

gms
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Aug 27 2015, 06:08 PM) *

Glenn, I first saw your car when Bob McClurg owned it around 1975. It was still in Ralph Meaney's Conda Green with GT flares and all of the GT bits. Bob didn't do much with it before he sold it to Jim.

I was in contact with Bob about 5 years ago, he was living in Iowa in the quad cities.
Bob wrote:
"I bought that car from a garage in Boston as a rolling chassis. It was rough… as raced. I don’t know if it was Meaney’s shop or somebody who had bought it from him."

I'm guessing that Jim chopped the windshield and updated the body somewhat.

I don't think anything has been done to the windshield everything still looks stock.
A standard windshield fits the frame and standard targa also fit.
gms
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 28 2015, 09:32 AM) *

It sounds like there was a great group of 914 guys in NJ, wish I could have been there. I have met Rory, Ray, Doug and Freddie in person and emailed Charlie and Bob, all are knowledgeable and have been helpful in my research of the car.
rgalla9146
I was struggling to have a nice street car.
These guys were struggling to build race cars to compete with and to win.
I got to peek inside the tent.
stownsen914
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 28 2015, 10:38 AM) *

I don't think anything has been done to the windshield everything still looks stock.

Glenn - I think Jim Roach who owned the car before Ray removed the windshield and ran a low windscreen. I remember seeing Jim drive the car in that configuration once. Charlie may have been referring to that. It sounds like Ray/Doug put the windshield frame back on.
Doug914
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Aug 28 2015, 11:18 AM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Aug 28 2015, 10:38 AM) *

Glenn - I think Jim Roach who owned the car before Ray removed the windshield and ran a low windscreen. I remember seeing Jim drive the car in that configuration once. Charlie may have been referring to that. It sounds like Ray/Doug put the windshield frame back on.

I can't swear we did put a frame on it, honestly. But for sure it had no front cage that followed the roof and down the windshield frame. Also I did the dashbar. And any other diagonals.
Doug914
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 28 2015, 06:40 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 28 2015, 09:32 AM) *

It sounds like there was a great group of 914 guys in NJ, wish I could have been there. I have met Rory, Ray, Doug and Freddie in person and emailed Charlie and Bob, all are knowledgeable and have been helpful in my research of the car.

Yes it was a rare group for sure. And as I said previously, the most amazing thing was the quality of the driving talent everyone had . Initially, The incumbent 911 group did know what hit them, as the 914 (even my six) was still looked down upon and considered inferior. That didn't last long. Soon many 911 owners were buying 914's and spending money building 914 track cars to keep up. ...Maybe Charlie remembers Nick Ventura who had the fastest fully modified slick tire'ed bad ass car in the club when we started. Within 2 years my modified 914/6 was running rings around him. That next season he had his shop build him a 600hp twin turbo 930 powered 914/6 Racecar. With a crazy big wing. It was a bit of a pig ( we called it the Batmobile). I usually still ran rings around it with my nimble 2.8:)
flyer86d
Doug

The problem with aging is remembering the place but not the name. Nick Ventura had the fastest most bad ass 930 with slicks (before Bob Winer had his 84 Turbo built into a Ruf 3.4 by Gary Bohrmann). I remember when you said that you could drive around him in your 914-6. We were at an event at Pocono,running the north short course. I hitched a ride with you and you had a fresh 2.8 or 3.2 in your -6. We passed Nick on the short straight between the right coming off the trioval and the left hand in the infield. The look of disbelief on Nicks face I will never forget.

Most of us became track instructors. It was an amazingly talented group. We ended moving to a 911 mainly because it had a back seat and Sue and I started a family. We had just bought the green 911 when Laurel Townsend said at a PCA board meeting that we had to learn the evil handling of the 911. Actually, we found that the 914 was the teacher as when the 914 broke away, it happened much much quicker than the 911. We had a string of 911's including a 911SC 3.2 liter hot rod that was great fun but frankly, it did not handle all that well compared to a 914-6 or a 944 Turbo but so what. They were great times and there was a real depth of talent as Doug has stated. You should have been there!!!

Charlie
gms
Ready for the weekend!
Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 22 2015, 02:00 PM) *

Ready for the weekend!
Click to view attachment

smilie_pokal.gif
RoadGlue
Oh hell yeah!!
GaroldShaffer
Great weather for racing had a nice time watching Glenn driving.gif Mark (aka Bartlet 914) prepping Glenn's car.

gms
The tires were trashed but I didn't want to buy a new set that would sit for 6 months before they were used again still not a bad result finishing fifth.
forgot to post results from the last race...
gms
I found these vintage photos on the internet

May 1985 at Lime Rock (leading is Fred Apgar's 914/6)
Click to view attachment

May 1986 at Charlotte
Click to view attachment

July 1986 Watkins Glen
Click to view attachment
flyer86d
It looks like Bruce Jones driving the Apcar 914-6. He was the only one that wore glasses if I remember correctly. At some point in time, he bought Freddie Apgars 914-6. Great shots!

Charlie
gms
headed back to the track on Sunday
piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
piratenanner.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif aktion035.gif
Cracker
Why does your car have to run such small wheels/tires? The vintage pictures above show it in proportional trim...wouldn't you want to campaign it in a class that allows for the this original configuration? Has the engine changed as well? Curious - I promise not critical.

Tony
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(gms @ Sep 30 2016, 11:53 AM) *

headed back to the track on Sunday
piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

smilie_pokal.gif w00t.gif
gms
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 30 2016, 09:42 PM) *

Why does your car have to run such small wheels/tires? The vintage pictures above show it in proportional trim...wouldn't you want to campaign it in a class that allows for the this original configuration? Has the engine changed as well? Curious - I promise not critical.

Tony

The short answer is that using 7" x 15" wheels causes me the least amount of headaches with the vintage racing groups I run with.
rgalla9146
I saw Doug at a German car gathering last weekend.
He had two VW splittys there. A '62 15 window and a '67 (?) double cab.
Spectacular restorations with plenty of extra oomph and talent applied.
Good luck Glenn
Be safe
Rory
flyer86d
I've seen the 15 window. The attention to detail is amazing and the mods are terrific. He just got done fixing the fuel system of our 1973 911T. Doug is the best!

Charlie
stugray
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 1 2016, 05:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 30 2016, 09:42 PM) *

Tony

The short answer is that using 7" x 15" wheels causes me the least amount of headaches with the vintage racing groups I run with.

This is interesting.
My Vintage run group allows up to 7 wheels which I run, but they do not allow flares at all.
So it seems odd that a vintage run group that allows those flares will not allow wider wheels.
So do they have max track width limitations?
Seems you would need massive spacers to make that setup look right.

gms
I agree with you guys 100%, It makes no sense why some groups allow lager diameter wheels and wider wheels and some don't like the flares and some just don't care.
What I have here is a 914/6 that is allowed in all the groups (I run in) without changing anything.
Remember I have built two transaxles (5 speed and 4 speed) to run at different track, changing wheels would probably require more transaxles.
I do not want to have to buy two sets of rain tires and two sets of race tires and have four sets of wheels.
gms
I ended up finishing fourth, there were two Cobra kit cars and a Mustang in front of me. My times were pretty consistent and not to bad for this being my first race in 11 months. Thanks to Mark Kinnaman and Mike Bednar for lending a hand at the track!

Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 4 2016, 12:57 PM) *

I ended up finishing fourth, there were two Cobra kit cars and a Mustang in front of me. My times were pretty consistent and not to bad for this being my first race in 11 months. Thanks to Mark Kinnaman and Mike Bednar for lending a hand at the track!

Click to view attachment

smilie_pokal.gif Sorry I couldn't make the trip up. sad.gif
gms
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 4 2016, 01:09 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif Sorry I couldn't make the trip up. sad.gif

I suppose you have some lame excuse that you were buying MORE 914s
biggrin.gif
gms
I was cleaning the rear trunk of the race car preparing for the upcoming race and took a picture of the Karmann number

week 38, day 1
7th car made on September 15, 1969

Click to view attachment
gms
Helmet is in, I am
READY!

Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
piratenanner.gif pray.gif beerchug.gif driving.gif
gms
I am going to give the Toyo Proxe RR a try this weekend
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(gms @ Apr 26 2017, 08:21 AM) *

Helmet is in, I am
READY!

Click to view attachment

Take those stickers off first happy11.gif
wndsrfr
QUOTE(gms @ May 22 2017, 11:15 AM) *

I've been on the RR's for two years now...and like them a lot. Pay attention to the mounting & placement instructions... What size are you running?
gms
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ May 22 2017, 08:25 PM) *

I've been on the RR's for two years now...and like them a lot. Pay attention to the mounting & placement instructions... What size are you running?

225/45 15
wndsrfr
QUOTE(gms @ May 22 2017, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ May 22 2017, 08:25 PM) *

225/45 15

I put over 2500 track miles on my last set of 225/45/15's, no cording anywhere. Then again, it's only putting down a bit over 200rwhp weighing just under 2000 pounds & driven only on weekends by 70+y.o. driver <;o)
gms
The rubber gets hard on my tires long before they wear out but I can usually get 2 seasons. I used to run Toyo Proxes R888 and was happy with the slow fade in performance hopefully these will be the same.
gms
I was out this weekend and my sister (the professional photographer biggrin.gif ) took some pix.
I qualified 2nd
Click to view attachment
gms
The Manta (kit car) missed a shift and I got by him for the first time ever!!
gms
and then as luck would have it the transaxle ear broke and I was done
Click to view attachment
gms
Mark Kinnaman and Mike Bednar were kind enough to help yesterday, we pulled the engine and replaced the cover. I have a HPDE on Friday so it needed to be done fast. We pulled the engine because when the ear broke it disconnected the crank case breather hose and the was oil everywhere.

Click to view attachment
larryM
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 4 2017, 08:04 AM) *

a'yup - happened to my oem 914-6 transaxle 'way back in 1976 when my bro' hit a huge pothole at speed - same side; except it did not result in the oilbath (hose must'a been longer);

- found a guy who welded magnesium (-6 covers being nearly unobtanium ) - and it held for the next 15 yrs i ran it
(finally switched to a side-shift) (that oem trans eventually went to Gordon Luey)
rgalla9146
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 4 2017, 11:04 AM) *

Click to view attachment

What ?
Had it been broken and welded before ?
RoadGlue
Giddy-Up Glenn! Glad the car be up and running again for this Friday's event.
gms
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 4 2017, 09:15 PM) *

What ?
Had it been broken and welded before ?

Yes Rory good eye that ear was welding (not sure what i was thinking when i installed it)
The first replacement that I grabbed had a hairline crack in the same area so I found another. car is in the trailer and ready to run, I am doing a Porsche Club DE at a track I love...Autobahn South Course. Thanks Mark Kinnaman for helping I would have never made it without him.

I am going to try and remember to get video, should be some fun cars in my run group.
Larmo63
Looks good, Glenn....I guess we must remember that our cars run on parts that are only 45 years old!!!!

first.gif
gms
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 6 2017, 11:48 PM) *

Looks good, Glenn....I guess we must remember that our cars run on parts that are only 45 years old!!!!

first.gif

Thanks!
That is the truth, I never even checked the trans housings and trail cover but I will from now on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.