Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 470.29.00076 - Meaney/Hendricks FIA, IMSA race car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
gms
My friend had his first helmet from the early '60s at the track with him on sunday.
Click to view attachment
Cracker
Glenn,

Have a great time at Autobahn...great to see your car was quickly mended. Come down to the South! Barber and Road Atlanta are fantastic tracks...especially Barber for a teener! biggrin.gif

Tony
gms
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 8 2017, 08:41 AM) *

Come down to the South! Barber and Road Atlanta are fantastic tracks...especially Barber for a teener! biggrin.gif

One of these days!
Racer
Late to the party on this one.. but was reading the early pages.. Was this "Ray (?) Hendricks" and "Bruce Jankowitz" driven car? The VCI and Euro-tire stickers speak of North Jersey and I recall both those guys as NNJR-PCA members.

Neat to see its still out being enjoyed!
gms
QUOTE(Racer @ Jul 10 2017, 04:46 PM) *

Late to the party on this one.. but was reading the early pages.. Was this "Ray (?) Hendricks" and "Bruce Jankowitz" driven car? The VCI and Euro-tire stickers speak of North Jersey and I recall both those guys as NNJR-PCA members.

Dave,
There were three IMSA 914/6s that were campaigned by NNJR-PCA members
Ray Hendricks silver car which was one of Ralph Meaney old racecar from 1971. (I now own)
Bruce Jones blue car which was Fred Apgar’s Apcar (now in FL)
Doug Arnaos car built from the Fiero tube frame plans (now in CA)
Did you work on these cars?
Racer
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 11 2017, 11:47 AM) *

Dave,
Ray Hendricks silver car which was one of Ralph Meaney old racecar from 1971. (I now own)

I did not work on the cars. In fact, I was about 13 when Doug built his Fiero/914 in what was the garage of my Great Grandfathers old house! For years Doug ran a 914, modded over the years in PCA DE's and then went SCCA to go racing. He used that car for a while and iirc, it was wrecked and he then built the Fiero/914 car to race. I recall he was a top 10 (top 5?) on Porsche's cup contingency for drivers who raced Porsche's one year which seemed like a really big deal to someone not running a 962 at the time! Didn't realize that car was still around.

I recall the Apgar name as well over the years. I know he built some motors of some other PCA guys and also "went racing" but I don't recall seeing his car.

I don't really remember Hendricks, although I am sure my father would. I recall Bruce Jankowitz cause him, Arnao and a few others (Keith Peare) were all good buddies in the early 1980s and all "went racing" after learning the basics with NNJR PCA DE program. Keith was a lot of run to watch race/run his GT3 class 914 at PCA events. Love his videos online from the Glen, Mid Ohio and Lime Rock.

thanks for the neat trip down memory lane.
gms
New project, renew front suspension!
Click to view attachment
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 13 2017, 08:05 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Sweet!
pete000
Wonder if the solid trans mounts contributed the failure?
gms
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jul 13 2017, 10:35 PM) *

Wonder if the solid trans mounts contributed the failure?

Probably, I should not have used a welded/repaired cover
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jul 13 2017, 10:04 PM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Jul 13 2017, 08:05 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Sweet!

agree.gif
GeorgeRud
Have to figure there's going to be some twisting on the chassis while racing on slicks, so solid mounts will transfer forces to the weakest point (the transmission arms?). Perhaps switching to the Wevo trans mounts will provide a bit of compliance to twisting forces and still provide added stiffness and good shifting control.
gms
My friend in the 240Z caught this video of the last race. I think the mount broke early on because it kept getting harder and harder to shift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNdxACkvnXM
jmitro
ah that sucks. Cool video.

Datsun driver was a good driver; he just kept getting toasted on the straights otherwise he would have likely been in the lead.
gms
Last weekend I was out again with some of the same cars. My corner speeds are much better without the shifting issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_2nQlFg4p8
flyer86d
Oh that was good!

Charlie
Freezin 914
Great video's! It was a great save by the mustang. But, I must say as a former racer, I am surprised he lasted as long as he did, with as much as he was over heating his tires! I would hate to have his tire bill! popcorn[1].gif
gms
back in action

Click to view attachment
wndsrfr
QUOTE(gms @ May 7 2018, 08:01 AM) *

Sooooo....share the juicy details....
gms
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ May 7 2018, 11:13 AM) *

Sooooo....share the juicy details....

I won...kind of... the guy who drives a kit car (Manta) disqualified himself so I won
gms
I had another win at the race track yesterday but this win is dedicated to the man who originally built this car, Ralph Meaney!
If you hadn't heard he passed away about a month ago...god speed Ralph!

Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
smilie_pokal.gif first.gif

Great job Glenn!

RIP Ralph!
burton73
Sweet. Good going!

Bob B
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
I love the fact you didn't over restore the car and it's racing "patina".
The battle scars are badges of honor on a car with the history of yours.

Andrew
Bartlett 914
It was a great day at the track. There was one close competitor but he fell back fairly quickly. It was the best solid win for Glenn I can remember seeing. Great job!
Pete_former914
For whatever reason tonight, I was doing a Google search on cars from my past. I came upon this thread. I don't have much to add other than I knew this car from many years ago.
I'm sorry that I only have one picture to add. Wish I had taken many more. Sorry, picture comes in upside down?
-Pete
Click to view attachment
My connection to it was that I worked with one of the drivers and was part of the pit crew.
gms
That is great, thanks Pete!
Click to view attachment
Bartlett 914
Wow that is a good one.
Pete_former914
I think right about the 19:00 mark there is a shot.
https://youtu.be/u4N50wGWhps?t=18m57s

Group 44 Jaguar is passing it.
stownsen914
Cool pic. Is that flyer86d (Charlie) second from right behind the car?
mepstein
QUOTE(Racer @ Jul 11 2017, 03:50 PM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Jul 11 2017, 11:47 AM) *

Dave,

I did not work on the cars. In fact, I was about 13 when Doug built his Fiero/914 in what was the garage of my Great Grandfathers old house! For years Doug ran a 914, modded over the years in PCA DE's and then went SCCA to go racing. He used that car for a while and iirc, it was wrecked and he then built the Fiero/914 car to race. I recall he was a top 10 (top 5?) on Porsche's cup contingency for drivers who raced Porsche's one year which seemed like a really big deal to someone not running a 962 at the time! Didn't realize that car was still around.

I recall the Apgar name as well over the years. I know he built some motors of some other PCA guys and also "went racing" but I don't recall seeing his car.

I don't really remember Hendricks, although I am sure my father would. I recall Bruce Jankowitz cause him, Arnao and a few others (Keith Peare) were all good buddies in the early 1980s and all "went racing" after learning the basics with NNJR PCA DE program. Keith was a lot of run to watch race/run his GT3 class 914 at PCA events. Love his videos online from the Glen, Mid Ohio and Lime Rock.

thanks for the neat trip down memory lane.

Fred lives about a half hour away from me. He told me he and Bob Russo both worked on 934's on different teams. I'll have to ask him about his 914 days.
Pete_former914
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Sep 23 2018, 10:49 PM) *

Cool pic. Is that flyer86d (Charlie) second from right behind the car?

If you're talking about the picture I posted, from the right it is Roy, Ed and I think Larry is leaning in the car. I worked with those three and one of the drivers at the time.
I was the one who took the picture at Pocono 84.
gms
Racing season has begun, unfortunately you could not tell it was spring by the weather. I was instructing at the school last Saturday and it snowed all day.
I was impressed with the students who went out in the slush and stayed out there to earn their race license!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gms
I also learned a trick! if your windshield is fogging up on the inside spread shaving cream on it. Then wiper the shaving cream off leaving a thin film...it worked like a charm.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Looks like the ol' "Dynamic Air Conditioning" was working a charm that day! lol-2.gif
rgalla9146
I can't believe it was not cancelled.
And that ANYONE showed up !
What tires ?
sixnotfour
best learning weather...
gms
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 5 2019, 11:23 AM) *

I can't believe it was not cancelled.
And that ANYONE showed up !
What tires ?

This is the Midwest, you have to learn to drive in the snow... There were 20 students!
I used rain tires, I didn't have snows
Jamie
QUOTE(gms @ May 5 2019, 07:49 AM) *

Racing season has begun, unfortunately you could not tell it was spring by the weather. I was instructing at the school last Saturday and it snowed all day.
I was impressed with the students who went out in the slush and stayed out there to earn their race license!

Looks like a track sized skid pad! I use a cloth misted lightly with ArmorAll to reduce potential fog problems on the interior windshield. aktion035.gif
gms
it was time for new tires and I thought while I was at it I would powder coat the wheels I bought from @sixnotfour

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
gms
yesterday was the last race of the season

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
first.gif beerchug.gif
gms
a 308 with a jaguar 12 cylinder showed up!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Dion
Excellent!! beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
Way to go, Glenn!!!! smilie_pokal.gif
rgalla9146

The wheels look great Glenn.....and more size appropriate !
gms
had a fun time at the track yesterday, thanks to @Bartlett 914 for helping out

Click to view attachment
gms
My race car made a guest appearance in the Netfix documentary Bad Sport "Need for Weed" episode. Here we see Randy Lanier passing to win the Watkin's Glen race and the 1984 IMSA championship. My car places 9th GTU and 24th overall
gereed75
That is way cool and that is a fascinating episode!
rhodyguy
I will watch it this AM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.