Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Apollo Racer Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
mgp4591
Some good progress there Ross! What type of air cleaner setup are you planning on using on those stacks or are the stacks staying?
Chris H.
There are several really good ITB threads on Pelican.

Good one with Megasquirt

Another one

Very detailed build!

I'm just about to go Megasquirt 3. Pretty excited about it.

If you have any questions on all the fittings and stuff for the clutch setup just let me know. You'll be very happy with the hydraulic clutch.
JRust
I'll take a transmission rear diff block off plate! Let me know how much & where to pay you biggrin.gif
matthepcat
Looking forward to this build.
nsyr
Nice work on the clutch master cylinder setup. I used the same master cylinder on mine.
76-914
agree.gif You'll wonder why you didn't do it in the first place. Nice design. biggrin.gif
BigFour1973
I'd take a clutch slave bracket and center diff plate. Any chance you'd produce the cable mount bracket for the gear select rod
914forme
QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 5 2016, 05:27 PM) *

Odometer:51018

I finished putting in some aluminum shrouding on my radiator. I had tried previously to seal the radiator on the outlet side, but the shrouding over the intake side has had a huge effect on water temperatures. Coupled with the new Mishimotor radiator (z3 performance model) my fans essentially stay off unless I'm at a light. I have yet to test it under hard load in the mountains though.

So how did it do with a hard load?
greggearhead
QUOTE(rnellums @ Dec 13 2016, 08:42 PM) *

In bigger news, I picked up an EZ36 (3.6L Subaru, with more horsepower and torque than my first gen EZ30, plus variable valve timing)!

I also designed and built a set of ITB's based on Triumph speed triple throttle bodies. I'm planing on using Megasquirt to run it.

That things gonna sound wicked-cool.
rnellums
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Dec 13 2016, 09:59 PM) *

Some good progress there Ross! What type of air cleaner setup are you planning on using on those stacks or are the stacks staying?

I'm planning on running the ITG foam filters, but I may have to fabricate some custom mounts (foam is only 100mm tall and the stacks are 150mm).

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Dec 13 2016, 10:44 PM) *

There are several really good ITB threads on Pelican.

I'm just about to go Megasquirt 3. Pretty excited about it.

If you have any questions on all the fittings and stuff for the clutch setup just let me know. You'll be very happy with the hydraulic clutch.

I'll have to check out those. I think the hardest thing will be figuring out how to run the cams, since they are truly variable, not just on/off.

I already followed your hydraulic clutch procedures when we put it in my roommate's car. Same engine and he blows me away because his shifts are so much faster and smoother than mine!

QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 13 2016, 11:40 PM) *

I'll take a transmission rear diff block off plate! Let me know how much & where to pay you biggrin.gif

You got it!

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 14 2016, 08:25 AM) *

agree.gif You'll wonder why you didn't do it in the first place. Nice design. biggrin.gif

Thanks Kent! I'm looking forward to the improvement in driveability!

QUOTE(BigFour1973 @ Dec 14 2016, 09:09 PM) *

I'd take a clutch slave bracket and center diff plate. Any chance you'd produce the cable mount bracket for the gear select rod

My friend Ray is working on a design for the shift cable mounts. I hope to have a prototype in a week or two!

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 15 2016, 11:21 AM) *

So how did it do with a hard load?

It did great. Only time it got hot was when I was stuck behind slow traffic on steep grades. Temps climbed to 220 on the slow extended climb out of Denver, but never got that hot again.

I will be rerouting my coolant lines (currently inside the longs) to under the car and I'm hoping the reduction in 90° bends will improve flow and reduce temperatures further.

QUOTE(greggearhead @ Dec 15 2016, 11:25 AM) *

Thanks Greg! Did you end up getting your EZ30 sold? (For anyone reading, I built a harness up for an EZ30 that I sold for Greg's Bus conversion).
mgp4591
Your rerouting of the coolant lines should help somewhat with temps but have you thought about trying a larger hose size? Some have said that just a small increase makes a large difference and keeping the hoses in the longs keeps them out of harms way. I know a lot of folks run underneath but I've always thought that safer is better. We've got too many speed bumps around here anyway!
rnellums
I'm already running fairly large lines (1.25"). I agree about the exposure of the lines being an issue, I may have a few ideas of how to counter that though.
rnellums
Well, its definitely not as sexy (or as well tuned to the peak torque range) as the 6" stacks, but these are a hell of a lot more practical...
Mike Bellis
I had a flat radiator on my first conversion 914. I loved having a front trunk but it was a PITA on a hot day, driving slow on a dirt road. Fans blew dirt everywhere. Air flowing under the car is not good either. I did have the rad modded to have a vertical filler tube that raised up almost to the hood. This was a great high point filler.
rnellums
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 15 2016, 10:03 PM) *

I had a flat radiator on my first conversion 914. I loved having a front trunk but it was a PITA on a hot day, driving slow on a dirt road. Fans blew dirt everywhere. Air flowing under the car is not good either. I did have the rad modded to have a vertical filler tube that raised up almost to the hood. This was a great high point filler.

I recall hearing that before! My fan must not be nearly as strong as yours, because I haven't experienced anything too annoying so far. I definitely do notice the hot air billowing up during the summer, but I suspect I'd get that with wheel well vents as well.

I have been worried about too much air under the car as well, bit I wonder if my low front spoiler helps somewhat. I have had it up to 105 at our local track.and it didn't feel too loose at that speed.

Did yours ever feel like it was loosening up?
3d914
Ross, that motor looks gorgeous with throttle-bodies. Any idea how it will sound with them?
greggearhead

[quote name='greggearhead' post='2434155' date='Dec 15 2016, 11:25 AM']
[/quote]

Thanks Greg! Did you end up getting your EZ30 sold? (For anyone reading, I built a harness up for an EZ30 that I sold for Greg's Bus conversion).
[/quote]

I did - it's going into a guy's Karmann Ghia!!

I'm getting a flat 6 with a turbo and some old stand alone management, but I think I wanna build a healthy NA version instead. I'll be talking to you sometime soon. I've got an older Megasquirt sitting on the shelf and love those ITBs...
rnellums
QUOTE(greggearhead @ Dec 20 2016, 06:32 AM) *

I did - it's going into a guy's Karmann Ghia!!

I'm getting a flat 6 with a turbo and some old stand alone management, but I think I wanna build a healthy NA version instead. I'll be talking to you sometime soon. I've got an older Megasquirt sitting on the shelf and love those ITBs...

I may start turning out kits, I mean hell, I already have all the components designed!
Chris H.
No doubt there would be a market for it. Not huge, but for you it would be plenty.
mgp4591
ITBs on an EG33 would be purty kool.... maybe not super practical but who ever said driving a 914 was a practical endeavor?? shades.gif
Chris H.
I'm starting to REALLY like those. What version of MS do you run them with?
rnellums
QUOTE(3d914 @ Dec 19 2016, 08:07 PM) *

Ross, that motor looks gorgeous with throttle-bodies. Any idea how it will sound with them?

No idea on how they will sound yet, but I sure hope it will be suitably raw!

I'm also planning on switching to a lightweight flywheel to help even more with throttle response. My understanding (I believe it was from DBcooper) is that our small cars really don't need all the flywheel mass required by a much heavier Subaru!

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Dec 21 2016, 07:51 AM) *

I'm starting to REALLY like those. What version of MS do you run them with?

I'm planning on building up an MS3 system, but that is by far going to be the most trouble I'm sure (Particularly running the variable cams).

Eventually I would like to run dual injectors as well (one set of injectors in the head, one set in the throttle bodies), and modulate the duty cyle on each to maximize response at low engine speeds (injectors in head, closer to valves) and maximize power at high engine speeds (injectors in throttle bodies, better fuel mixture before entering cylinder)

I'm buying the system this week, so hopefully I can sink my teeth into learning it as the new year comes!

-Ross
mgp4591
Do you really need the variable cam setup engaged or will the engine run without it? I know it's a tasty bit of technology but will the electronics adapt to the MS system? It would be easier if it was the Honda type Vtec type where it's pretty much built up oil pressure but I'm sure you've taken all of that into consideration...
This is pretty interesting stuff but I'm happy with more of a stock type because I'm lazy. shades.gif popcorn[1].gif
914forme
Another advantage for the short six engines from Subaru the Speed Triple TBs line up better with the intake ports. Looks like they where thinking of doing that al along. on the EG33 your intakes are of an unequal length. Or you have to separate the TBs build new linkage pieces and new fuel rails.

One nice thing with the Speed Triples is each one has a vacuum port so, you can dump them to a manifold, stick a Mig nozzle in the tube going to the MAP and you will have a nice steady signal.

Love the look aktion035.gif

Are you planning on using a motorcycle cable splitter or linkage for the throttle cable connections?
rnellums
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 21 2016, 01:52 PM) *

Another advantage for the short six engines from Subaru the Speed Triple TBs line up better with the intake ports. Looks like they where thinking of doing that al along. on the EG33 your intakes are of an unequal length. Or you have to separate the TBs build new linkage pieces and new fuel rails.

One nice thing with the Speed Triples is each one has a vacuum port so, you can dump them to a manifold, stick a Mig nozzle in the tube going to the MAP and you will have a nice steady signal.

Are you planning on using a motorcycle cable splitter or linkage for the throttle cable connections?

I did actually space the throttle bodies (~20mm) and modified the linkage between them so the manifolds are perfectly vertical!

The throttle bodies I have actually have two-way pulleys, so it should be pretty straight forward to have the throttle cable run to one, and have it pull the other pulley!

rnellums
double post
mgp4591
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 21 2016, 01:52 PM) *

It sounds like the two systems were made for each other! Also make the decision to keep the EG33 as a simpler setup which is fine - there's other options for power improvement on that platform. Great build Ross!
rnellums
Well, I put the EZ36 on the back burner for a bit while I made some upgrades to my existing setup. First off was adding in a hydraulic clutch (instead of my cable bell crank method). TO do this I designed a 304 Stainless master bracket that bolts onto the brake pedal supports (credit to Chris and Kent for that idea) I added a flange on the bottom edge to get enough stiffness to eliminate flex without a supplemental bracket.

The remote reservoir is mounted right next to the brake reservoir up top and has a separate fluid feed line.

I drilled a 1.5" hole into the passenger compartment for the master and lined it with a grommet to seal on the master itself. I also had to add a small hole for the hydraulic line to pass through, but overall am really pleased with the result.
rnellums
I had previously cut a small hole in the trunk firewall to allow clearance for small air filter. I have been trying to figure a way to clean it up since. This weekend I took a stab at making a manifold flip for the EZ30 using 1-R bend 2.5" tube. I wish I had used regular steel vs. Stainless because the welds came out so poorly. I may be making another one of these in the near future. Not sure if it will help or hurt performance, but I can run a proper air filter and can finally close my trunk back off.
greggearhead
Nice work - love the clutch master.
Andyrew
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 16 2017, 08:26 PM) *

I had previously cut a small hole in the trunk firewall to allow clearance for small air filter. I have been trying to figure a way to clean it up since. This weekend I took a stab at making a manifold flip for the EZ30 using 1-R bend 2.5" tube. I wish I had used regular steel vs. Stainless because the welds came out so poorly. I may be making another one of these in the near future. Not sure if it will help or hurt performance, but I can run a proper air filter and can finally close my trunk back off.

Did you use stainless wire? You should be able to weld stainless JUST like steel. Fiddle with your settings a little till its right.
rnellums
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 17 2017, 10:56 AM) *

Did you use stainless wire? You should be able to weld stainless JUST like steel. Fiddle with your settings a little till its right.

Yes on the stainless wire and argon shield gas. Stainless has much lower thermal conductivity, so it heats up locally much faster than carbon steel which is part of the issue. I was in a bit of a hurry though, as my NSX was sitting outside and snow was starting to fly! Probably shouldn't rush things so much next time wink.gif.
914pipe
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Apr 30 2015, 10:07 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Apr 30 2015, 09:05 PM) *

I was getting tired of how loud my exhaust was so I added in another muffler/crossover tonight. Much better!

Marty at MSDS was kind enough to supply the mandrel bends (super easy to work with, and inexpensive too!) And the center muffler is just a cherry bomb muffler from the FLAPS. I HAVEN'T SEALED it all up yet, but so far it looks promising!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Please post a video of how that sounds, I have been playing with the idea of building an exhaust like that for a few moths!

agree.gif

Please!
rnellums
QUOTE(914pipe @ Jan 18 2017, 07:12 PM) *

agree.gif

Please!

Try this on for size:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhRmOOy6TJ0
rnellums
Not much to update here, mostly just a lot of driving. I decided I wanted something to cover the firewall, so bought a bit of quilted vinyl on Ebay and sewed in some velcro strips to cover the firewall and a home-built console. I also built an adapter to mount up the 5-spd shift knob from a Fiat 124. The perfect size, the right shift pattern, genuinely vintage, and not too expensive!

I also switched over from a in-tank pump to an external pump with top mount swagelock fittings connected to custom bent pickup tubes inside the tanks.
76-914
Snazzy! Looks like it came with the car. What prompted your fuel pump change over? I missed the video in the prior post, before . Sounds great. beerchug.gif
rnellums
The pump just cut out while driving, and I had to get a tow. The pump was running, but not pumping. The new system should be much more robust and easier to repair if needed.
76-914
Makes sense. I changed mine because of my faulty diagnosis. I like your approach to keeping those lines above the tank. It's nice not having to sheeplove.gif with kinking a line beneath! beerchug.gif You, Ray and myself need to hook up at a RRC one day when it's in UT. I'd love to compare exhaust noises and notes in general. beerchug.gif
greggearhead
Ross let me take this on the Silver Summit rally because all my cars weren't running. It's a beast, super fun, and super easy to drive.

My step son fell in love with it so much we are building a similar one very soon.

Thanks Ross.

Are there pics of how you routed your pipes through the longs? Did I miss it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.