Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attention world, any Subaru projects being planned?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
thenewwazoo
QUOTE(IM101 @ Jan 2 2013, 09:30 PM) *

Axles are finally done. I am really disappointed with SAW on this one. it took waaay to long. I am looking into other vendors to avoid this problem in the future. but thankfully The axles should be on my doorstep tomorrow and i will start shipping them out.
-Ian

Good to hear. What's the process for getting a box of my very own? smile.gif
IM101
Just send me a PM or email me and we can get an order started =)
bandjoey
What's a good website for a primer on Suby motors? I see a 4 cyl 200hp Suby motor in the new Scion FRS. Is this a new motor or ???

I'd love to see a complete build thread from motor on a pallet to installed in a 914. I'd like more muscle in my car but not up to doing one yet.

Wish u great success!
charliew
Bill my son and I have used nasioc since about 2004 for most of the info we have used.
IM101
the Axles are finally in guys! will be shipping out the orders Monday!
IM101
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 4 2013, 09:48 AM) *

What's a good website for a primer on Suby motors? I see a 4 cyl 200hp Suby motor in the new Scion FRS. Is this a new motor or ???

I'd love to see a complete build thread from motor on a pallet to installed in a 914. I'd like more muscle in my car but not up to doing one yet.

Wish u great success!

I agree Nasioc is a great resource check it out, if you dig long enough you can pretty much find an answer to anything there.

Otherwise Wiki pages has a pretty good write up of Subaru engines through the years.

Furthermore IF you want some more spacific 914/subaru related information, there are a lot of guys on here with great threads and willing to talk shop.

Finally, i have some good info compiled (that i reeeaallly need to get up on my site!!! dang 24hr a day time limit headbang.gif ) regarding engine/transmission choices etc. a lot of it is posted throught this thread, but feel free to pm me, we can talk.

-Ian
Chris H.
Don't forget www.rs25.com as well (provided by Ian BTW). More tolerant of newbie questions like the ones I have had lately.

Definitely go through some of the builds in the Wiki...there are several pallet-to-completion builds.

Can't wait to get my axles and stuff Ian! Thanks for your advice on the project.
charliew
What I like about world threads is the close association with vw's. I also have some vw's that would be really great candidates for a suby, including a speedster kit and a 64 bug (actually a 58 with a 64 front clip) that has been a pickup since 68.
IM101
Commandeered the fiancées apartment for a day to get a bunch of shipping done, after the long wait for the axles I’m almost sold out of the first batch…
mepstein
Way to go Ian. smilie_pokal.gif
wingnut86
That's not Ian.

The real Ian's hair turned white overnight dealing with his new vendors and suppliers:D

Maybe a bit of Honors vector calculus to boot idea.gif
thenewwazoo
Got the first axle test-fitted with my cradle (not Ian's design). Everything fits with no binding. Good times.

Ian, your axles don't have the lip needed for the Porsche CV spring washer. Is this a problem?
IM101
Yep the missing slot (as you can see from the picture) is intentionally done by Sway-A-Way, its there "floating" design that allows for better torque transfer.

Got the image from Eric Shes thread on 5 lug conversion (which also shows how to put the Porsche CV together BTW)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91963

Click to view attachment
thenewwazoo
Right-o! So I just skip using the conical washer altogether, then. Thanks!
IM101
I am gearing up for another production run on the cradles, as i am sold out!

Also I am finally getting to the cable shift set up for the subaru 5mt. it is part of a customers build its a "got to" get done at this point. I will let update with some progress.

Chris H.
Pencil me in for a cable setup...
IM101
Hello everyone, First off apologies for going in silent running mode for a while.  With an upcoming wedding and honeymoon, graduation/class, website rebuild, part time photographer job, a full ez30d build, and I’m sure I’m forgetting one of the 100 other projects on the todo list, overwhelmed is a good description of my life as of late.  To complicate things I am losing the shop that I have been working at compliments of JRust (thanks again btw, it’s been a real blessing).  I’m trying to take it in stride and viewing the loss of space as an opportunity to get organized and slimmed down for the big move to Boise ID this summer.  My fiancé was accepted to several grad programs (math) and we decided Boise was a good fit.

This will mean both immediate and long-term changes for Coldwater.  Immediately I will be trying to liquidate as much of my inventory/parts horde as possible, not only to make it easier to move but also, I need the cash for our Europe honeymoon (going to try and make it to the nurenbergring!!! As well as Greece Italy and Spain) as well as getting funding built up for getting the shop reestablished and running in Boise.  I have a production run of cradles to sell (of which several of you have dibs on, and I will be getting in touch with you shortly), axles, a couple of spools, transmissions, a complete ej22t, and more that I will be getting rid of (details in my member vendor thread).

Many of you have been asking the status on the cable shifter for the Subaru trans… I have still not been able to develop this further unfortunately but I know how much you guys need this part so I’m really going to try too get the production going and be able to ship a run out before the wedding in July.  I don’t need a full shop for that anyway…
Post wedding, things will have to change a little; while the wife will full tuition and a teaching assistantship I will be taking the lead and landing a good career building position in Boise.  What exactly this means for Coldwater I don’t know, I’m hoping that I will have some extra income/freetime to invest in the company, but who knows… I know more than a few of my customers have been dealing with job loss and economic difficulties.  Whatever the case my wife and our future is top priority and Coldwater will most likely have to take a secondary or tertiary position.

With all this in mind I’d Like to take a moment to say thanks to all of my customers and the 914 community for allowing me to take Coldwater this far.  I sincerely hope/believe that I will be able to continue to be serve and be a part of this community after the move (hell I better be, by then I will have my own 914 finally completed!!)
Best Regards
-Ian Megale
Cold Water Conversion LLC
effutuo101
PM's sent.
IM101
the list is up in my member vendor thread. Help me move and afford a honeymoon!

Thanks guys,
Ian
badmiata
Ian, I dont have a 914 (yet) I do have a WRX though. I have taken a ride in DBCoopers car and it was eye opening to say the least. If I were to do this I would like to use a 2.5 with wrx & trans. Then use the stock ecu in the hopes of using a Cobb accessport for any tuning. They have a lot of useful parts...such as a lunch control...umm. In doing this I want the drive by wire as well. I would NEED AC! I have seen those under dash units will they hook up to the wrx compressor? Bob Loblaw! Oh yea question...When using an stock ecu do you need to use two keys? The 2.5 wrx's all have immoblizers sad.gif Just dont want to be on a 5 yr plain would like to get an idea on paper first. P.S. I was also thinking of methanol injection and keeping the intercooler were it is. I really liked the air to water idea but I need ac too. Does anyone know if the newer engines with the plastic intakes would run cooler temps for the intercooler? I know this is a lot but it gives your thread a bump too.
IM101
well if you want to go with the 2.5 the issue of DBW and chipped keys come up, however the easiest way to deal with both of those issues is by swapping the entire steering column/cluster from the WRX.
look up ruby914's build thread, basically exactly what you are looking for.

let me know if you have any other questions!

-Ian
DBCooper
Switching the steering column is the easiest? Another alternative is to use an aftermarket ECU. It's more expensive, but pretty sure it's easier than switching columns, modifying the harness, etc.
904svo
On my conversion I keep the stock steering wheel and gauge cluster. I've posted the wiring conversion on how to do it.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=199291&hl=
DBCooper
QUOTE(904svo @ Jun 7 2013, 06:07 AM) *

On my conversion I keep the stock steering wheel and gauge cluster. I've posted the wiring conversion on how to do it.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=199291&hl=

Yeah, but you're a lot smarter than the rest of us. Me, anyway.

IM101
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jun 7 2013, 04:54 AM) *

Switching the steering column is the easiest? Another alternative is to use an aftermarket ECU. It's more expensive, but pretty sure it's easier than switching columns, modifying the harness, etc.

Ah yes that is true... the way he phrased the question seemed like he had his ecu picked out (Cobb AP), but your right it is worth mentioning. A standalone ecu is definitely a possibility.

-Ian
IM101
Hey guys, inventory is getting lower, head over to my member vender thread for exact levels.
IM101
I Get married tomorrow and will be gone on honeymoon/moving probably until mid august. feel free to email me with any questions, I will respond when I'm back stateside and settled. Thanks for all the support! See you on the other side!
Bob L.
beerchug.gif Congrats on the wedding. Best of luck. beerchug.gif
effutuo101
Congrats!
IM101
Hey guys,

Sorry I have been out of touch lately, the wedding, honeymoon, and move has been a (predictably) a whirlwind. We have been in Boise for a couple of weeks now but are still waiting to move into our apartment on September 10th. Right now my top priority is getting settled in and getting a job to get some money coming in before we have to start paying rent. As much fun as Coldwater is it takes time, money, and a shop space to get back going again all of which I do not have at the moment. It’s also tough because as much as I love working on Coldwater it is still in its infancy and it eats what little profits in growth (new products and such) and I need something that I can give the support my new wife needs to get through grad school! Once I do get started back up that may mean price increases or I don't know what... guess we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Moving forward, I landed real-estate photography gig just to get us by for a bit and enable the search for a higher paying position to continue. I’m hoping that I will be able to find something that gives me enough capital to find a small shop and get started again. If anyone has any leads in Boise please feel free to PM me!

Otherwise for those interested in products, if there is enough interest I could possibly ***possibly, take a long weekend scoot back to Oregon and get a small production run busted out. I’d like to compile a list of who is serious and what they are ready to buy, if that is you please send an email to ian@coldwater914.com with the subject line of “parts interest list,” and I’ll see what I can do.

-Ian
Dr Evil
thumb3d.gif Congrats!
76-914
Ditto and PM sent
CptTripps
Email sent...Congrats!
sawtooth
Congrats Ian, cool you guys are in Boise now. Sent you a PM.
skeates
Congrats! E-mail sent.
IM101
I believe I have responded to all emails and PM's please shoot me another (email preferred) if you did not get anything from me.

Thanks for the congrats guys =)
IM101
picture from the honeymoon
Click to view attachment

Haha guys, can you really blame me for being out of the loop latley? I have to keep the new wife happy! Managed to get a ring on her, but as you could imagine there is no shortage of suitors lining up... Have to keep her supported and happy drooley.gif

On a serious note though, I understand that there are several guys out there in the midst of builds who started planning on me being able to provide the parts to finish. Just to reassure everyone, I am not going to disappear and will be doing whatever I need to to keep the subaru conversion a viable option for people who would have otherwise not been able to do it; whether its getting the doors back open myself or subcontracting the work out, or selling the business to someone I trust can and will do better.

Thanks to those who are ready to buy and have emailed me it makes it much easier for me when I have numbers to work with. Keep it coming!

Regards
Ian
jimkelly
lightning McQueen would say "ka-chow"

the trick for the next 50 years is to hang on to as much of that magic as possible for as long as possible. cause one day, she'll be complaining that the kitchen towel is not where she likes it or left it. I can give you several hundred other examples but this one should suffice : )

anyway, what inventory do you have left. last update was...

Cradles, 3 left
Trans hangers, 1 left
Back plates, 0 left
Spline Coupler, 1 left
Hybrid Axles, 5 left
Urethane Mounts, 15 left
DBCooper
Looks like you've done even better with the wife than you have with conversion parts, so keep up ALL the good work! Thanks Ian.

76-914
Yeppers, he's back. Got a few emails splaining things and he's checking his inventory this week for my part. piratenanner.gif
IM101
hey guys quick update, Landed a job! Which is great, now i can start saving and budgeting for a shop space to get things back up and running! However my responses are going to be more evening and weekend oriented now.

-Ian
IM101
Well I had a job, and then it went sideways... oh well that's life... I think i may have found a temporary shop solution and will hopefully be able to start on some smaller projects. Will keep everyone updated.
IM101
OK guys, I'm taking a trip back to Oregon to move the rest of the shop over and get it set up enough to start production again. Cradle systems are probably up first, but also hope to have a production run of cable shifters out before Christmas. looking forward to some welding smile.gif
JRust
popcorn[1].gif Cool! About time you got off your ass & got to work evilgrin.gif . Seriously though good to hear your getting back to it. Did John get ahold of you there? Been talking to him about a roller. He needs some cage work done. Figured if you are bringing your bender out. Be right up your alley
IM101
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 26 2013, 04:48 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif Cool! About time you got off your ass & got to work evilgrin.gif . Seriously though good to hear your getting back to it. Did John get ahold of you there? Been talking to him about a roller. He needs some cage work done. Figured if you are bringing your bender out. Be right up your alley

Yep he got ahold of me biggrin.gif kind enough to let me set up in his garage for the time being. Kinda like the set up I had back at your place, except 5 minutes not 1.5 hours away!

And on that note, I'm officially back in business. planing on a production run on monday/tuesday of net week; shipping cradles on friday! Just in time for christmas! beerchug.gif
JRust
QUOTE(IM101 @ Dec 9 2013, 12:01 PM) *

Yep he got ahold of me biggrin.gif kind enough to let me set up in his garage for the time being. Kinda like the set up I had back at your place, except 5 minutes not 1.5 hours away!

And on that note, I'm officially back in business. planing on a production run on monday/tuesday of net week; shipping cradles on friday! Just in time for christmas! beerchug.gif

Excellent! Might just need you to make me a cradle for an EZ30 idea.gif
IM101
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 9 2013, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(IM101 @ Dec 9 2013, 12:01 PM) *

Excellent! Might just need you to make me a cradle for an EZ30 idea.gif

lol... just never enough projects for you...
914werke
Soooo.. been thinking about doing my own conversion & decided for simplicity sake start with a NA conversion.
Question is what motor?
Seems to be a bunch of relatively cheap Legacy & Impreza /4's about.
But what is a better choice the SOHC 2.2 or the DOHC 2.5?
IM101
Cool! Well if you have not already, check out my website for a write up of different engine choices. Personally I would stick with SOHC, just for the ease of timing belt swapping cost of upgrading to some delta cams in the future ($30ish per cam).

NA engine options: http://www.coldwater914.com/engines-option...ess-than-200hp/
nsyr
Do the trailing arms need to be removed to get the axles in place?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.