Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OU8AVW's Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
OU8AVW
Last night I was able to do the final fitting of my rear trunk. I'll wind up butt welding some of it but adding a flange on the straight part across the trans support. The Restoration Designs part fits great.
Tonight I should fire up the welder! welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

OU8AVW
When is doubt, get your 10 year-old daughter to weld it for you biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Fixed my clutch cable tube. Looks better in person blink.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
So yesterday I had some guys from a local body shop stop by to quote finishing the paint job on my car to see if I could save me some drive time and save Scotty B some space. They spoke to my wife who's reasonably car savvy and also pretty hot. she kept the phone in her pocket so I could hear the conversation.

They asked if I had done the body work, she said yes. They replied, "he's done a pretty good job but you can tell he's very inexperienced" blink.gif

I'll put a quick emoticon in for Scotty: dry.gif

Pretty funny these guys say that about one of the best Porsche metal guys in the country.

Soooooo, I think I'll be making that drive to Richmond after all biggrin.gif
wingnut86
Damn Mike. Screw them guys evilgrin.gif

Have your daughter school them, she appears to have more skills than they have brains welder.gif

Ask Scott to lend you that nice chassis stand he has with wheels when he's done whacking on mine beer.gif

Great work so far first.gif
scotty b
Thanks for draggin me into this mad.gif
wingnut86
...just trying to help a brotha out...

shades.gif evilgrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ May 4 2013, 07:32 PM) *

...just trying to help a brotha out...

shades.gif evilgrin.gif

I was actually referring to Mikes little "Porschegate", escapade with the local body shop rolleyes.gif
OU8AVW
Putting the suspension back together so she'll roll back to Scotty B's for final paint!

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Getting close Scotty. Better make some room! biggrin.gif
Let me know when you want her....
scotty b
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Jun 20 2013, 07:51 AM) *

huh.gif unsure.gif
OU8AVW
OK Scotty, 'bout there.....
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 20 2013, 11:55 AM) *

huh.gif unsure.gif

Oh dear. I've seen this before with Scotty.

Dood - he's totally forgotten who you are I'm afraid. unsure.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 27 2013, 01:36 PM) *

huh.gif unsure.gif

agree.gif Were you the guy with the hot neighbor or the scary one ? confused24.gif
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 27 2013, 10:31 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 27 2013, 01:36 PM) *

huh.gif unsure.gif

agree.gif Were you the guy with the hot neighbor or the scary one ? confused24.gif

That's Mike's wife, Scott! mad.gif slap.gif
OU8AVW
Hot wife, Cougar neighbor biggrin.gif
OU8AVW
It's been a pretty good few weeks in the garage.
I got my CVs and shafts squared away

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
I cut plastic covers for the open end of the CVs

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
I restored my tail light housings and reflectors. I bought the Hela Euro tail light lenses from someone here for like $30. The clear lens was broken off but we have some pretty strong adhesives in the marine industry so i glued them back together. The results were pretty good.

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Rear suspension is together and looking tidy. I just ordered a full set of hard brake lines from PMB. I'm trying to get Erc to feature me in one of his unstoppable ads biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
hot_shoe914
Ugh, all that work and you still have KYBs on there. Dude, Don't be THAT GUY!!! slap.gif
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 24 2013, 11:00 PM) *

Ugh, all that work and you still have KYBs on there. Dude, Don't be THAT GUY!!! slap.gif

You've been that guy for years, Donald.

confused24.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Jul 24 2013, 10:43 PM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 24 2013, 11:00 PM) *

You've been that guy for years, Donald.

confused24.gif

sad2.gif
OU8AVW
Just gotta get it on the road. I can save up for shocks later.
OU8AVW
Brakes are done! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

OU8AVW
Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Gettin' some work done. My 11yo daughter and I are assembling the engine. So far we have....
Late 2.0 case
Balanced crank and rods
Raby cam

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Work space is getting a bit cramped. I have just about everything that I need. I used the sealant list off of the type 4 store. I couldn't figure out how to buy it from there I had to assemble the stuff from various vendors.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
a few shots of the under belly biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Engine assembly in progress

Gotta love a girl who can hold her own in the shop wub.gif

Click to view attachment

Short Block....

Click to view attachment

KB Pistons and new Hastings Rings

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Coming together....

I have a couple of questions pending on other threads, heads are up next.

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Every once and a while the Ebay gods smile on us. NOS Hella euro turn signal lenses for $25 each! With free shipping biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

scotty b
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Nov 26 2013, 10:04 AM) *

Every once and a while the Ebay gods smile on us. NOS Hella euro turn signal lenses for $25 each! With free shipping biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Smile nothing. the Ebay god just gave you an old fashioned !! jerkit.gif
OU8AVW
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 26 2013, 10:32 AM) *

QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Nov 26 2013, 10:04 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Smile nothing. the Ebay god just gave you an old fashioned !! jerkit.gif

How so my bro?
zambezi
He means your deal is much better than just a smile.
wingnut86
lol-2.gif av-943.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(zambezi @ Nov 26 2013, 12:34 PM) *

agree.gif

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...old%20fashioned
onielsen
I think I am a previous owner. I owned the car from 2001 until 2004. I was in high school. There are only two modifications I made: Installed a 2.0 fuel injected engine from a 1973 and, in typical high school style, added a new CD player and extra speakers (see passenger floor board of interior photo).

While I wish that I never sold it the car appears to be receiving a lot of attention that I would not have been able to provide. I look forward to keeping up with your progress. If you find that upon completion you need to swap it for a new project please let me know.

Who did you purchase the car from? If I remember correctly I sold it to a high school kid from northern VA in 2004. Is there any information about this car in any other threads?

Here are some pics that I think are from 2001:
IPB Image
porsche by Tachyan, on Flickr

IPB Image
porsche3 by Tachyan, on Flickr

IPB Image
porsche6 by Tachyan, on Flickr
OU8AVW
onielsen, looks like this is your old car. I bought it from a real estate guy in Woodbridge, VA. I think it was in 2008. The car looked just like your pictures when I got it. He wanted one price but couldn't get the car to start, so I got it allot cheaper. I got the engine to start when I got it home to Annapolis but it had a bad tick. Turns out there was a stuck lifter that ate the cam. Lots of gas in the oil too. Weird that it had leather seats but I kept them that way. I have a ton of new/OEM parts to throw at it and it just left for paint today!

Awesome that you found it here! Stay in touch...... biggrin.gif
OU8AVW
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 26 2013, 02:33 PM) *

QUOTE(zambezi @ Nov 26 2013, 12:34 PM) *

agree.gif

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...old%20fashioned

blink.gif I understand. Yes, an Ebay hand job it was.....
Now if could just get Ebay to go down on me biggrin.gif
OU8AVW
The Teener is headed out for paint!
She'll be back in six weeks.... dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
type47
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Nov 2 2013, 03:01 PM) *

Just an observation but when I looked at the pic I thought that the dowel pins that locate the bearings may not have been installed. I looked at the left bearings and saw the little hole in the bearing that I thought used the dowel pin to located the bearing and then looked at the right bearing and didn't see the corresponding hole. I am most likely mistaken but thought I'd offer my thought ...
OU8AVW
An astute observation. I can't recall at what point this was taken but I know we oriented the dowels an the holes when we assembled. Also, the thing went together great and turns smooth as silk biggrin.gif
OU8AVW
My machinist buddy and I made a custom lexan disk to mate to my heads. My wife is a nurse so she got me a 30ml syringe from work. Time to CC my heads and figure out my compression ratio. They came to 62.5cc. With that and a deck of .045 that's about 9.17:1. Seems a bit high?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
CptTripps
Great build. I love that your daughter is helping. My sons are a little young this time, but in another year or do they'll be ready.

Can't wait to see the body after paint!
dcheek
Just curious, have you tallied up your cost to day, including the initial purchase of the car?

Dave
bulitt
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Dec 10 2013, 08:53 PM) *

My machinist buddy and I made a custom lexan disk to mate to my heads. My wife is a nurse so she got me a 30ml syringe from work. Time to CC my heads and figure out my compression ratio. They came to 62.5cc. With that and a deck of .045 that's about 9.17:1. Seems a bit high?

Do these motors use head gaskets?
Spaceman Spiff
QUOTE(dcheek @ Dec 11 2013, 05:10 AM) *

Just curious, have you tallied up your cost to day, including the initial purchase of the car?

Dave

Do any of us add up the cost?
OU8AVW
QUOTE(bulitt @ Dec 11 2013, 06:29 AM) *

QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Dec 10 2013, 08:53 PM) *

Do these motors use head gaskets?

So....
I entered my numbers in inches into a metric calculator and got bad results on my CR. Looks like 8.26:1 this time. Now it seams low but my deck height will be set at .045" which I think is about a low as you can go?

My next step is to get the custom spacers to set my deck, then I can install the heads. I think the thing to do will be to make an adjustable pushrod and use it to set the geometry. I have machinist friends who can help make this. I'll pass it along if timing works out. I have Cro-mo pushrods so I can set the lifters to zero lash. I'm not used to this as I've usually dealt with Type 1 motors and stock Hydraulic lifter Type 4s.

If .045" is around the minimal deck height and I can achieve this then my CR will be 8.26:1. Kind of low but then again I might be a little off on my measurements. I made a tool that helps measure this. One issue I had was that my pistons went .01" prod of the cylinder when I first installed it. This means that I will need the custom shims or use a head gasket. Not sure what I'll do next. It usually takes about a week to sort all the info/opinions before I make a decision. That clock started last night blink.gif

CptTripps
QUOTE(dcheek @ Dec 11 2013, 08:10 AM) *

Good lord...WHY IN THE WORLD would you ever do such a thing?

Don't you know...that's a job for the NEXT owner to do, so he can brag about what the DAPO spent!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.