Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OU8AVW's Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
dcheek
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 11 2013, 08:56 AM) *

QUOTE(dcheek @ Dec 11 2013, 08:10 AM) *

Just curious, have you tallied up your cost to day, including the initial purchase of the car?

Good lord...WHY IN THE WORLD would you ever do such a thing?

Don't you know...that's a job for the NEXT owner to do, so he can brag about what the DAPO spent!

I guess you missed the first two words "just curious". Actually, I just like keeping track of the break ever point of collector cars as to when it's economically practical to restore as opposed to buying a car that's original or already restored. Since the author of this thread is cost conscious, I thought he might be keeping track. Also, others that are contemplating such a project might be interested to know what they are in for from both a time and financial commitment.

Dave

CptTripps
I should have put a smiley on my post. It was meant more "tongue and cheek" than anything. biggrin.gif
dcheek
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 11 2013, 10:25 AM) *

I should have put a smiley on my post. It was meant more "tongue and cheek" than anything. biggrin.gif

No problem, I didn't take it personally. I don't want to hijack the thread, so I withdraw the question. On with the rebuild!

Dave
OU8AVW
Closer to the truth to say the owner has become cost-unconscious biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Headed out for paint? You're going to cover the pink? ohmy.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 12 2013, 06:28 AM) *

dry.gif The carpet doesn't match the drapes Eric slap.gif
914werke
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 12 2013, 06:28 AM) *

Its Salmon Eric biggrin.gif
OU8AVW
Going back to original L80E Light ivory.
Not too exciting but original and clean. Black interior, silver negative stripe and chrome bumpers. Polished 2.0 Fuchs, Euro lenses and funky Euro additional fogs.
No backup light. I wouldn't want anyone thinking I'm pretentious blink.gif
My brakes are zink colored biggrin.gif
OU8AVW
All painted Light Ivory!

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
So the paint shop said it would take six weeks to paint my Teener. As usual, painters have no concept of time and are generally full of crap poke.gif

So....They did it in a week and a half. Kind of a problem for me as I had a wrecked 944 being torn apart in my shop and the six weeks would have been convenient. But as I try not to assess the oral hygiene of a free equine I ditched the water pumper and am moving into the build phase of my true love.

I have the answers I need on the motor and I should be able to put it together over the holiday. The I'll start putting the body back together biggrin.gif

I am particularly looking forward to doing the interior and figuring out how to mount my cool Euro fogs on the front bumper.
2mAn
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Dec 18 2013, 10:29 AM) *

All painted Light Ivory!

Click to view attachment

fresh paint always looks so good, yours is no exception! cant wait to see what it looks like when its all back together
Java2570
Awesome! That looks great and I'm very partial to Light Ivory since that's what my car is!!
Good luck with the engine build beerchug.gif
OU8AVW
Yeah, I wasn't super excited about the white color, but after seeing it I'm stoked! It was the right choice and no one can fault a PO for going back to the original color smile.gif
wingnut86
Mongo LIKE!
OU8AVW
Got her back in the tent Christmas eve but I had to travel for the holidays.
wub.gif

Click to view attachment
effutuo101
Looking very nice!
We will say it is on a rotisserie and call it good.
Happy new year!
OU8AVW
Spent Saturday pulling out parts and doing jobs I had materials for. It all seems daunting until I start one small task and just work through it one step at a time. A little extra time equates to better details.....

Engine bay wiring and hold down clips cleaned up and installed. I cleaned each one and coated it with protectant. I then heated them over my heater for a few minutes to make them pliable for install.

Click to view attachment

Sway bar restored and installed (mostly). I scored some restored suspension mounts from Bruce here too. Everything he sells is uber top notch!

Click to view attachment

Wiper assembly refreshed and installed. I read a post on different wiring on early vs late cars so I swapped my original and working motor out on the clean assembly I bought here. Wiper jets were in the stash of NOS bits my friend Eric Wills gave me.

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Installed my upper dash and secured the dash itself. a little heat should tighten up the vinyl. 914 Rubber dash to window seal went in easier than expected.

Click to view attachment

Rear trunk wiring going in. I have a few connections that I need to refresh. The PO had painted all this orange so I took the easy rout and just wrapped it back up after inspection

Click to view attachment

I had to mount one of my Euro tail lights to check it out. New seals fit well

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
I'm pretty happy with my handy work on the rear trunk repair. It's not super perfect but it's pretty good for a first timer.

Click to view attachment

My work is nothing compared to Scotty B's. Scotty got busy with better paying projects so I had a local shop do the final paint. I think the body paint is a 9.5 but the details are lacking a bit. Trunks and engine bay could have been better but I'm happy.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Finally unpacked the bumpers I bought three years ago. Rear is great but the front will need some polishing.

Click to view attachment

Shea restored headlight carriers. Like allot of stuff I've bought from Eric, the quality is beyond compare. But I need allot of fasteners biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

scotty b
first.gif Lookin good mang smile.gif
FourBlades

Very nice!

Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

beerchug.gif

John
wingnut86
Vedy Shagadelic...
CptTripps
You're CRUSHING the rebuild. This is the best part to watch, and most rewarding by a long-shot. Shows you what all the hard work has accomplished.

Stay at it mate!
OU8AVW
Good times in the g-rage. I sanded and polished my trim, washed allot of the original rubber so I could salvage the outer door seals and front hood seal. Installed rear trunk seals and stuck the logo on the back. It's straighter than it looks dry.gif

Click to view attachment

OU8AVW
I also worked on cleaning and finding all the little parts on the light housings. I have a few favorite used vendors that I have made requests for the missing pieces.

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
A new distraction arrived Saturday
Yes, my other dream car, an '89 Westy. $4500 piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

PS.
I was never a fan of white cars dry.gif
OU8AVW
I worked on my trim last week. It all looked pretty tired

Click to view attachment

So I sanded it with 400, then 600, then 1000. Then I used a buffing wheel and some metal polishing compound followed by a little mother's aluminum mag polish. The toughest part was getting past all the old anodizing and getting the surfaces flat enough to sand.....
Voila biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Installed the rear bumper and top along with the signals and trunk electrical

Click to view attachment

CptTripps
Great looking build Mike...really nice.
3d914
Lookin really nice, Mike. I'm sooo jealous!
OU8AVW
Thanks guys. No garage time today, it's 6 outside and I'm working in a tent dry.gif
OU8AVW
I worked on the front signals this weekend. Got them painted and partially installed. I bounce around allot as required knowledge and needed parts send me back to the computer biggrin.gif

NOS Euro lenses look sweet! My housing seals seals were in perfect shape too. I replaced the harness seals behind the housing with some good used units. This forced me to replace the connections, they were toast anyway. I'm finding that a fine 3m pad and some tire cleaner cleans up the rubber real nice. Then a quick coat of silicone to give it that dull shine.

Click to view attachment
CptTripps
Looking good man...
OU8AVW
Started my transmission rebuild Friday. My amigo Eric gave me a hand. I had the tailshift that came with the car and a sideshift i bought from a member here (who's name i will not mention, you'll see why....)

The hope was to make on good sideshift trans out of these two.

Sideshift on the bench ready for disassembly.

Click to view attachment

Coming apart. The DAPO put this together without any gaskets. The problem with this is that the pinion lash was off.....

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Because the pinion lash was off the pinion went too far into the pinion gear causing wear on the pinion. The pinion and the gear are a matched set. There are numbers that correlate to each other.

Click to view attachment

So we pressed out the main shaft and pinion from the intermediate plate. The factory tool is pushing evenly on both shafts so they come out together. Much more accurate than a hammer biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Ok, so far i have a bad pinion, first gear was bad and fifth gear was toast too. All this transmission's dog teeth were suspect as were the syncros. Hopefully the second tranny would be in better shape. Remember, this was a working trans i bought here blink.gif

So we pulled the tailshift appart....

Not so good.....

Click to view attachment

Fortunately Eric had a reasonable pinion and gear. First the bad gear comes off the differential and gets swapped out. We used a big torque wrench to get these to 80lbs...

Click to view attachment

Then the locking washers are installed. Now I'll have Porsche not VW spec pinion. There is a difference. The Porsche parts are measured and factory tested. Notations are seen on the parts....

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Next we strip all the shafts and start the hunt for good parts....
More factory tools make this job much easier.

Click to view attachment

Next we chalk the shaft up in the lathe to make sure it's straight and we use a little 3m pad on the sealing surfaces to ensure they are smooth. This one checks out.

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Now to dig into the gears and sliders. I was in need of a few sliders that we sourced from eric's stash and the other trany. We made sure all the gears stayed matched pairs. Another slick tool holds the recess on the slider.

Click to view attachment

Then the gear can be pressed out. This tool will also work to install the slider and gear back together.

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
The gears go back together with new syncros and updated brakes.

Click to view attachment

I spent some time detailing the case today. More on that next time....
I should be doing the assembly next week with new bearings and seals. I do need a nice 5th gear (ZD). Everything else is fully pimped biggrin.gif
Bulldog9
dude, kudos on tackling this. Transmissions scare me... I of course am not doing anything on mine except clean up the outside, and changing the fluid......
type47
Nice! I did the trans clinic this last weekend and all those photos and discriptions are what we went through with ours.
computers4kids
I learned so much at one of Evil's clinics-very rewarding. You're a brave soul tackling one without Evil. Having those custom tools is will make all the difference.
OU8AVW
Evil is the man. He's like the Obi Wan Kenobi of transmissions.
Eric is Yoda biggrin.gif
I am far from doing this alone.
OU8AVW
Cool little project. I installed a battery switch using a Porsche center cap as a centering plate.

I machined it to fit....

Click to view attachment

Finis....

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Making steady progress.....

Installed my fresh air system

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Sorted the lights, running lights and Pilot lights

Click to view attachment

Dash face and heater controls in....

Click to view attachment
CptTripps
Keep on it man....it'll all come together real fast!
OU8AVW
Installed the rear window and more sound deadening. I'm using peel and seal roofing material. Cheap and effective.

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Transmission build continues. We did the pinion depth setting. The pinion and all gears were installed with a single gasket. The setting was checked with a factory tool and dial indicator. It was .20mm to far in. The gaskets are .25mm thick so we added a second gasket. It came up perfect.

This tool approximates a diff and uses the same bearings. A dial indicator is held inside that can be seen inside the hole. It bears on the tip of the pinion shaft.

Click to view attachment

OU8AVW
Next we set the lash. This factory tool attaches to the output shaft. We used a spacer to lock the shaft and pinion so the whole assembly rotates. .15-.20mm is optimal. Mine was .17mm. Done! We also set the drag while we were at it. Drag is a product of how much shim installed, lash is adjusted by where the shims are installed, port or starboard side of the diff.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.