Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OU8AVW's Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
OU8AVW
I've been lurking here for four years, I signed up the day after I bought my 914. It's a 1971 car and I bought it because the doors clinked shut like a Porsche is supposed to. I have learned allot from this forum and I'll say it again, this is the best auto forum on the intraweb!

Work situations, other car projects, a sailboat and three kids that play Lacrosse, swim, ect I have not really worked on the car at all until recently. I have been prolifically collecting parts, knowledge, and building a network of trusted friends and vendors.

As it stands:
-I have 75% of the sweet parts I need
-Scotty B and I made a good deal to have him paint my car
-I have a running motor with 40 Webers, another fully machined motor with rebuilt heads and six new injectors waiting to be assembled and a sideshift trans.
-My good friend Eric of Willswerks in VA and I trade labor. He's a transmission guru like Dr. Evil. He also has a huge stash of NOS part's he hooks me up with
-I have a full interior with new leather seats, new carpet and new door panels
-A set of sway bars for both ends
-A nice set of 2.0 Fuchs

I need-
-Brakes
-A little pan repair
-A dash
-a few more bits i can't remember now biggrin.gif
-A freakin' garage!

Here's what she looks like now-

Click to view attachment

She's supposed to be white and I think I'll go back to the original color. Here's my inspiration:

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Scotty B should be coming over this week to grab his new 1973 911 and the doors/trunks off the teener to get started. I need to prep the engine bay and front trunk for paint. The PO did a color change that was pretty thorough but not well executed. That is to say they painted almost everything. wires, headlight motors, you name it, it has paint on it. We also have to graft on the proper wheel well flairs and get rid of the crapy PO installed units. sawzall-smiley.gif

Click to view attachment

There is a little rust on the car but the longs and hell hole are super solid

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I was even able to remove the battery tray top but save the supports!
type47
What do you need in regards to brakes?
OU8AVW
QUOTE(type47 @ Jan 31 2012, 09:35 AM) *

What do you need in regards to brakes?

I'm going to work with Eric on those. Just getting them all rebuilt with new rotors and pads. Thanks for asking....
Tom_T
Known first & last cars in a MY can be significant (at least at some point), and your VIN being 4712900001 marks it clearly as the first 914/4 in 71 MY! Good find!! first.gif

Here's some more "White" (L80E - Light Ivory officially per VW-Porsche) inspiration -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Pix, bodywork/repaint to original L80E & 2056 build courtesy of Scotty's left coast body-cousin McMark - This 73 914-2.0 with Beige interior is a near clone to how mine was originally & had at least one of my 914's prior color changes on it (L94K Copper Metallic), & is owned by Brent/bembry on here.

I use it for my "I really do like white 914s 12 step program" - since I'd really prefer to have had Alaska Blue or Marathon Blue metallic with Beige interior on mine, had I not been a starving recent college grad in 75 when I bought my 73 that I'm now slowly restoring. biggrin.gif

OU8AVW
Seriously? First '71? That's crazy. I did not put 2 and 2 together on that one. Did you check the data base or something? I'm not close to my car now to look. I know I entered it when I joined in '08.

Update: Not sure where that VIN came from. I better check my tittle, my car was built in July '71 and that VIN is not mine.
mepstein
Mike - I'll be at Scott's in the next month or so. I'm bringing down a lot of small, spare parts that I removed from a parts car. It might help pare down your - need to buy list. Mark
OU8AVW
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 31 2012, 11:56 AM) *

Mike - I'll be at Scott's in the next month or so. I'm bringing down a lot of small, spare parts that I removed from a parts car. It might help pare down your - need to buy list. Mark

Sweet, it's the last 10% of the stuff that take 90% of the effort!
OU8AVW
Hell hole after clean up

Click to view attachment

Other side.

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Are these cool? They are new but really old. I was thinking of mounting them on my bumper like my inspiration pic above.

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Scotty with his deposit for my paint job! Good to hang out with the body guru.

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Rainy day, cleaning parts and hittin' the sand blasting cabinet.
biggrin.gif
OU8AVW
Here's my seats. They came to me in leather but the bottoms were trashed. I had the inserts redone. Not the best job, but I think they look pretty sweet. Plus, they're leather. Since this pic I got the headrest to fit properly. I think the leather will tighten up nicely.

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
I played hookie from work yesterday and continued prepping for paint. I got a doner floor pan that I'm going to use for some patchwork on the driver's side. All and all not too bad.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Scotty said it's one of the cleaner cars he's seen on the East Coast. He should know I guess.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Little bit O' progress

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tomorrow welder.gif
OU8AVW
I got all my engine parts back from the machine shop, bought a Triad exhaust and some restored heat exchangers, placed my order with PMB, bought a Mega Squirt system and new Pistons/Cylinders, and a bunch of other stuff I can't think of.
3d914
Mike,

Best of luck on the project. I noticed you're looking to go the MegaSquirt route. You won't regret it - more drivable & better mileage than carbs any day.

Here's a link to my last 914 project which was MegaSquirt, but 2.0L if it can help.
scotty b
qwe
scotty b
sawzall-smiley.gif
scotty b
blink.gif
BajaXJ92
Mike,

I'll have you know that your car is a slick one!

Damn thing kept trying to slip off the trailer on the way back. We had to readjust 2 or 3 times....in the rain. headbang.gif
MDG
It's always nerve wracking when Scotty is in strip-down mode and he starts using this guy: blink.gif

When he switches to this guy: ohmy.gif . . Don't look.

As usual, nice stitching on the flare! Go, Scotty, GO!
OU8AVW
I'm speechless.....
scotty b
mne
scotty b
Roll bar was coverd in straight libne scrathches from someone in the past hard blocking it...yet somehow it was still far from straight dry.gif I did all this with only a mudhog and got it flatter and more properly contoured then the p.o. did with a block
scotty b
The plan on Mikes car was to repair the rear 1/4's, smooth the body out a bit more and repaint. Once these bubbles in the hood and trunk were looked into it became clear thet lids needed to be completely stripped. I'm guessing that these are a result of a past chemical stripping that wasn't properly neuitralized confused24.gif
arkitect
Scotty,
When you replace the rain gutters up front. Do you replace a whole section of the u channel...weld the ends to the exiting? How do you grind it smooth in the channel?

Dave
scotty b
QUOTE(arkitect @ May 22 2012, 08:45 AM) *

Scotty,
When you replace the rain gutters up front. Do you replace a whole section of the u channel...weld the ends to the exiting? How do you grind it smooth in the channel?

Dave

Honestly it all depends on the customers budget, how extensive the damage is etc. I've had times where I made a small section from scratch and welded it in, times when I have cut a length out of a donor, and times where the owner didn't have the funds to repair properly so I cleaned it, backed it up with some chrome tape, and wiped J.B. weld over the holes then primed it. As far as grinding down in the channel, the first key is to get a nice flat weld so there is minimal grinding, then there are a variety of ways to get it ground. Flap wheel on a grinder, a 80 grit roloc disc will flex enough to get it done, a die grinder with a tulip cutter etc. I usually cut most of it down with my cut off wheel then clean it up with some other method
hot_shoe914
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
OU8AVW
I am left wondering which category I fit into idea.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ May 22 2012, 07:29 PM) *

I think I am in a category of my own. He just didn't mention it as it is very embarassing. post-2-1117899824.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ May 22 2012, 04:29 PM) *

Which one do you want to be in ?? poke.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ May 22 2012, 06:16 PM) *

QUOTE(OU8AVW @ May 22 2012, 07:29 PM) *

I think I am in a category of my own. He just didn't mention it as it is very embarassing. post-2-1117899824.gif

Your blue car is actually being worked on. the rear trunk is now ready for primer slap.gif
hot_shoe914
Your blue car is actually being worked on. the rear trunk is now ready for primer

No pics on my build thread? Actually reconsidering what you suggested at Hershey. Also about to list everything 914 I own for sale for one lump sum.
OU8AVW
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 22 2012, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(OU8AVW @ May 22 2012, 04:29 PM) *

Which one do you want to be in ?? poke.gif

Somewhere in the middle I think....
I do understand that our deal is a bit of a moving target but I'm not so naive to think that a surprise or two won't cost me. pray.gif
Dr Evil
You heard him, Scotty. Time to up-charge! poke.gif Those breast implants are as good as yours! When can you come to my shop for the install?
scotty b
Pics not taken include stripping all of the edges on the car, stripping the wheel well lips, stripping the rear trunk channels, sanded down the front fender, sanded the pass door sill blah blah blah. Hood and trunk lid get stripped bare tomorrow beerchug.gif
scotty b
welder.gif I still have a little bit to do on the rocker patch. The piece of metal I had was just shy of filling in the whole hole, So I will make a small strip to fill in thsat lst bit at the top. I have the passengers side all body worked and ready for primer. Still a little "fine tuning" of the body work on the drivers side, and the front trunk channels to deal with
OU8AVW
Lookin' sweet! biggrin.gif
scotty b
welder.gif
OU8AVW
biggrin.gif
OU8AVW
Hey Scotty,
Could be worse...... biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Jun 18 2012, 03:49 PM) *

Hey Scotty,
Could be worse...... biggrin.gif

Ha, I know the guy selling that and his rust is gold plated dry.gif rolleyes.gif
MDG
Looking Good!!

Mike - that bit of duct tape is left over from one of Sc'tooey's old flare installs.

You lucky bastard.
OU8AVW
Oh, i know. This thread is a major distraction at work. I've got a horde of cool parts waiting for this. Unfortunatly i'm out of cashola so i'll be doing the trunks myself. I need to sell some stuff to build up the paypal account again. Anybody need some used sailing gear? biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
You could sell semen jerkit.gif
billh1963
Looking good! Now I know why Scott hasn't posted any progress pictures on my car....looks like he will be busy this week! sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
OU8AVW
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 18 2012, 05:02 PM) *

You could sell semen jerkit.gif

My mother told me if i kept wacking off i would go blind.
So i asked if i could do it until i needed glasses. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.