Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The First Annual Tropical Ramble, 8-11 Nov 2012.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
ellisor3
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Nov 13 2012, 07:43 AM) *

Hey, what was the story with Bob (BIGKAT) and Greg (d914)? I never got to say bye to you guys. Did you ever get the other CV fixed?

I PM'd him yesterday. Had to flatbed it back, it was the Suby part that broke. Once he got home, he had it fixed in 30 minutes.
d914
We were that close to driving it home.... And we got really good at pulling the swing arm and redoing the cv's.... The Suby part was just a clip that came off from all the other gyrations that we put ir through... Bob figured it out no sooner than we loaded on the trailer!

I had a great time seeing actually running 914 's and yes it really is the people . Hopefully with a little luck my little beastie will be able to show up.. Either way , Porsche support vehicle or with a 914 I'll be there again .

Thanks to all who put in the work and time putting this together.
Madswede
I had a great time! All the events went off without any real hitches (OK, a CV joint or two and a fuel pump failure aside) and seems like everyone had a blast. Kenny saved the day with a new fuel pump. smilie_pokal.gif I still say the old one woulda worked if someone had whacked it with a BFH. smash.gif

It really is all about the folks that go. I had a great opportunity to meet a lot of the Floridians that I don't get a chance to see at the events nearer my home (as in, sub-12-hr drives dry.gif our states are just too damn big out here).

Some of my favorite highlights:
Boating and grilling (sans utinsils - O'Brien doesn't believe in them for some reason, so there was some extra "ginger" on some of the hot dogs). I'm not gonna say what "SWAG" stands for, or at least what TC thinks it does ... something to do with our conversation. Think you had to be there. lol3.gif

The utterly gorgeous drives to and from Snack Jack's out at Flagler Beach. Thanks to TC for the ride out and thanks to James (ellisor3) for the ride back. By the way, congrats on winning Best in Show James! "Sexy" deserved it!

There were some really gorgeous cars there, let's be clear. It was a very beautiful collection of 914s, one of the best I've seen. The race cars that Paul (URY914) and John (FourBlades) brought were pieces of engineering art - total function over form, especially Paul's - which I voted for for "Best Interior" - it sounds like it is, a real racer. I was too scared to ask to drive it.

Bill's (WLD914) 2.8L water-injected /4 is a screaming monster ... he was keeping up with the RS and James' car without really seeming to care about torturing a poor lil' 901 transmission! He's a really cool guy to hang with too.

John also deserves a special note for actually bringing up his (as in, he MADE it) archtop guitar for me and George (PaintedMan) to bang around on a little bit after dropping off his wife back at home. It's rare to see someone who can not only work on cars but also build guitars, let alone the Hold Grail that is an archtop. Well done sir!

George took his "Worst 914" award (a total poke.gif award and really his car was by far the best car I've ever seen to win such an award) with good grace and humor - though he tried to "forget" it at one of the beer parlors we visited but I intervened in time. Seriously George, your car was just up against some stiff competition. If Bobby's had still been there it would've taken that award I think. lol-2.gif

As the duly-appointed representative of Team NARP, I have to say TC reminded me a lot of Joe Sharp. It's too bad the two of you guys couldn't meet, but that might have precipitated the end of the world to have that much coolness in one place. TC took his plunge out of a perfectly good airplane with grace and aplomb, if not a big side of queasiness. I know exactly how you felt TC, believe me!

Bob (BIGKAT) and Greg (d914) were super-cool to meet and talk to about racing and the benefits of having no qualms about modifying the hell out of your 914. I think Bob was the first one there and he had the furthest to go with a 914. Sorry that CV from my New Mexico yard didn't quite do the trick, but I'm gratified that it helped ... or something. unsure.gif

The "other" Jon, Brian, and your wives I very much enjoyed meeting and talking to. I'm very glad you took lots of pics Brian - I had forgotten my camera back here in NM, and I always "check my brain at the door" of these events, making some memories a little hazier than others ... drunk.gif

Speaking of that, I have to give my friend Sean a little grief here and there for close-talking and, well, just being a riot - that's Sean. I know our mutual NM friends are gonna definitely give him some serious grief for the drunk-dialing he did around 2am FL time. THAT was priceless, and even if I was the only one who witnessed it in FL, I nominate him for the honorary "That Guy" award that we out here in the west know and love from the Red Rocks events. barf.gif

Well, I've used up my whole lunch break typing this marathon post. It was really great to meet you folks and I hope know this won't be the last time. TR1 was a blast and looks to be a very good event for all Southeastern US 914s to be at.

Last but not least, a big Thanks Joe! It worked out very well! And Megan too for helping (somewhat reluctantly) with the awards announcements, and Kim and Bobby deserve thanks for helping with logistics. clap56.gif
URY914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Nov 13 2012, 05:43 AM) *

Hey, what was the story with Bob (BIGKAT) and Greg (d914)? I never got to say bye to you guys. Did you ever get the other CV fixed?

Yea, has anyone heard? confused24.gif
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 13 2012, 06:55 PM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Nov 13 2012, 05:43 AM) *

Yea, has anyone heard? confused24.gif

Made it home on Sunday... The problem with the CV joint was that both the inner and outer were bad. I think the outer caused the inner to break a holding ring. I had the car fixed in 30mins after getting it home.

headbang.gif Bob
FourBlades
More pictures from the TR1!

The Hidden Treasure Restaurant.

Click to view attachment

Notice TC has the same stance and expression as the Pirate. idea.gif

Click to view attachment

No comment.

Click to view attachment

The restaurant dock where they picked us up for the trip to the island.

Click to view attachment

Captain Bobby and Renee taking us on a cruise.

Click to view attachment

Tough choice.

Click to view attachment

Greg and Bob. Thanks for the Guiness, Greg!

Click to view attachment

Bob drove his 914 down from Atlanta for the event.

Click to view attachment

Looking back at the old lighthouse.

Click to view attachment

John
FourBlades
At the island BBQ.

Click to view attachment

TC prior to the big jump.

Click to view attachment

Some dork actually dragged this POS to the event.

Click to view attachment

Smooth Electromotive power on the Rockin 914.

Click to view attachment

Another killer restaurant, this time on the ocean.

Click to view attachment

Scenic drive back to Series 9.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Ready to do it again...

John

no1uno
What else can be said? My wife and I had a great time. We're already looking forward to the 2nd annual Tropical Ramble. A Big Thanks to Joe and everyone that attended or helped make it such a success. It was nice to put faces with names. We hope to see everyone again soon. I'm sure this event will grow over the years to come.

I'd also like to publicly thank Kenny for bailing me out with his spare fuel pump during the scenic drive to Flagler Beach. I owe you one! Everyone pitched in to diagnose and repair my car by the side of the road. It ended up to just be a small delay and something to talk about. I wish Bob would've had the same luck with his cv joint.

You were right, FourBlades. I should've bought a new tire before I left Deland. Who would've thought I'd get another flat on the way home Sunday after having one on the way to the Ramble Thursday night. Oh well, I've got two new tires mounted now and a few new road stories. My wife must really love me (or the car).

Maybe I can give George some competition for the "Most Improved" award next year.

I've enjoyed everyone's pics. It really was a great event. Cheers.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

carr914
QUOTE(Madswede @ Nov 13 2012, 02:45 PM) *

I had a great time! All the events went off without any real hitches (OK, a CV joint or two and a fuel pump failure aside) and seems like everyone had a blast. Kenny saved the day with a new fuel pump. smilie_pokal.gif I still say the old one woulda worked if someone had whacked it with a BFH. smash.gif

It really is all about the folks that go. I had a great opportunity to meet a lot of the Floridians that I don't get a chance to see at the events nearer my home (as in, sub-12-hr drives dry.gif our states are just too damn big out here).

Some of my favorite highlights:
Boating and grilling (sans utinsils - O'Brien doesn't believe in them for some reason, so there was some extra "ginger" on some of the hot dogs). I'm not gonna say what "SWAG" stands for, or at least what TC thinks it does ... something to do with our conversation. Think you had to be there. lol3.gif

The utterly gorgeous drives to and from Snack Jack's out at Flagler Beach. Thanks to TC for the ride out and thanks to James (ellisor3) for the ride back. By the way, congrats on winning Best in Show James! "Sexy" deserved it!

There were some really gorgeous cars there, let's be clear. It was a very beautiful collection of 914s, one of the best I've seen. The race cars that Paul (URY914) and John (FourBlades) brought were pieces of engineering art - total function over form, especially Paul's - which I voted for for "Best Interior" - it sounds like it is, a real racer. I was too scared to ask to drive it.

Bill's (WLD914) 2.8L water-injected /4 is a screaming monster ... he was keeping up with the RS and James' car without really seeming to care about torturing a poor lil' 901 transmission! He's a really cool guy to hang with too.

John also deserves a special note for actually bringing up his (as in, he MADE it) archtop guitar for me and George (PaintedMan) to bang around on a little bit after dropping off his wife back at home. It's rare to see someone who can not only work on cars but also build guitars, let alone the Hold Grail that is an archtop. Well done sir!

George took his "Worst 914" award (a total poke.gif award and really his car was by far the best car I've ever seen to win such an award) with good grace and humor - though he tried to "forget" it at one of the beer parlors we visited but I intervened in time. Seriously George, your car was just up against some stiff competition. If Bobby's had still been there it would've taken that award I think. lol-2.gif

As the duly-appointed representative of Team NARP, I have to say TC reminded me a lot of Joe Sharp. It's too bad the two of you guys couldn't meet, but that might have precipitated the end of the world to have that much coolness in one place. TC took his plunge out of a perfectly good airplane with grace and aplomb, if not a big side of queasiness. I know exactly how you felt TC, believe me!

Bob (BIGKAT) and Greg (d914) were super-cool to meet and talk to about racing and the benefits of having no qualms about modifying the hell out of your 914. I think Bob was the first one there and he had the furthest to go with a 914. Sorry that CV from my New Mexico yard didn't quite do the trick, but I'm gratified that it helped ... or something. unsure.gif

The "other" Jon, Brian, and your wives I very much enjoyed meeting and talking to. I'm very glad you took lots of pics Brian - I had forgotten my camera back here in NM, and I always "check my brain at the door" of these events, making some memories a little hazier than others ... drunk.gif

Speaking of that, I have to give my friend Sean a little grief here and there for close-talking and, well, just being a riot - that's Sean. I know our mutual NM friends are gonna definitely give him some serious grief for the drunk-dialing he did around 2am FL time. THAT was priceless, and even if I was the only one who witnessed it in FL, I nominate him for the honorary "That Guy" award that we out here in the west know and love from the Red Rocks events. barf.gif

Well, I've used up my whole lunch break typing this marathon post. It was really great to meet you folks and I hope know this won't be the last time. TR1 was a blast and looks to be a very good event for all Southeastern US 914s to be at.

Last but not least, a big Thanks Joe! It worked out very well! And Megan too for helping (somewhat reluctantly) with the awards announcements, and Kim and Bobby deserve thanks for helping with logistics. clap56.gif

Wait, that took you all Lunch Break to Write, it smelled like you wrote it in the Shitter
carr914
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Nov 13 2012, 08:34 PM) *

More pictures from the TR1!

Notice TC has the same stance and expression as the Pirate. idea.gif

Click to view attachment

Arrrr Matey!
pnewman
Looks like a great time!

If you guys do this again it might make a road trip from up North look desirable.
Madswede
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 13 2012, 09:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Madswede @ Nov 13 2012, 02:45 PM) *

...snip...

Wait, that took you all Lunch Break to Write, it smelled like you wrote it in the Shitter

What're you, some kinda fart-sniffer? confused24.gif

(yes, I wrote THIS from the shitter) rolleyes.gif
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(pnewman @ Nov 13 2012, 11:33 PM) *

Looks like a great time!

If you guys do this again it might make a road trip from up North look desirable.

Not if,but when smilie_pokal.gif
bcheney
Here are some additional pics of Nelson's bad ass six in progress!

ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Nov 16 2012, 07:24 AM) *

Yikes, sorry for ruining the shot James! Had I known you were going to park next to me I would have just put a tarp over my car, lol.
ellisor3
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Nov 16 2012, 05:35 PM) *

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Nov 16 2012, 07:24 AM) *

Yikes, sorry for ruining the shot James! Had I known you were going to park next to me I would have just put a tarp over my car, lol.

All good, mine looked pretty rough at one time, and did not run as well as yours. We both won awards. I look forward to seeing your progress. first.gif
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
bcheney
Just found another cool shot from my smartphone...Can't wait til next year!

carr914
If you just found it, how Smart is your Phone?
bcheney
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 14 2012, 10:58 AM) *

If you just found it, how Smart is your Phone?

It reminded me to look at a cool pic so I guess it pretty damn smart...Especially since it's a Sprint smartphone!!! Tell all your friends to check out Sprint for the holidays...we've got some cool stuff!! I know...shameless plug...I work for Sprint smile.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Series9 @ Feb 9 2012, 07:53 AM) *

Thursday November 8th-Sunday November 11th. These dates correspond with the HSR races at Daytona.

We'll be based at Series 9. 1403 Flightline Blvd #10, DeLand, FL 32724 (386)256-9146

So what's going on?

Here's the itinerary for the event:

Thursday evening: Parking lot drinking

Friday: 9:14am Depart for Daytona Speedway for a little HSR fun, 1:30pm Depart the speedway for the boat ramp and an afternoon at Ponce Inlet. (Beer and Dogs provided). Return to Series 9 for parking lot drinking.

Saturday: 9:14am Depart for the scenic drive out to Flagler Beach for Lunch. Return to Series 9 for clean-up, Show-n-Shine and voting for awards. 7:00pm Dinner in downtown DeLand (provided), followed by parking lot drinking.

Sunday: 9:14am Breakfast in DeLand. Noon Back out on the boat for anyone who can stick around.

Who's coming:

Me L
Megan
Nelson (paid)XL
Bobby (paid)L
TC (paid)XL
no1uno +1 (paid)M
George Neill (paid)M
URY (paid)XL
Fourblades +1(paid)XL
Bigkat (paid)XL
Bcheney +1(paid)L
WLD419 (paid)XL
Sean Betty (paid)L
billh1963 (paid)XL
Ellisor (paid)L
d914 (paid)L

Can anybody tell me when the next one is or when it might be, if there is a mailing list or how I can find out about it (in case I miss it here)? I'm in Jacksonville. popcorn[1].gif
carr914
Probably about the same time next year - look for an announcement here a few months before it happens
tumamilhem
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 14 2012, 12:28 PM) *

Probably about the same time next year - look for an announcement here a few months before it happens

Carr, are you the guy with the Creamsicle in Tampa?
carr914
No, Steve Gaglione (smg914) is the only one I know with a Creamer
carr914
Click to view attachment
bcheney
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 29 2013, 07:34 PM) *

It's gonna be fun!
URY914
Brian, maybe this year you can bring your girlfriend Danica.
ellisor3
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 30 2013, 07:16 AM) *

She will be there. chair.gif
ThePaintedMan
av-943.gif happy11.gif
no1uno
Nice!
URY914
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ May 30 2013, 05:19 AM) *

She will be there. chair.gif

You need to add two dots for her nipples...... happy11.gif
bcheney

If I brought her you would be overcome with fear and unable to maintain your fellowship with your 914 brothers....so dont worry...you can relax...Danica will be absent from the Tropical Ramble II smile.gif
carr914
Any Updates for 2013, Joe? Last Year you started Organizing this 7-8 Months in Advance - Now you got Joe Sharp Hanging around & zilch!
ThePaintedMan
With wedding, thesis, and Chumpcar all coming up, I have no time to help plan, but I have been hoping we were doing this again.... we are, right? sad.gif

billh1963
I hope so...
no1uno
Me, too...
FourBlades
Same plan as last year.

Saves time and was excellent. piratenanner.gif

John
KENNY
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Aug 18 2013, 01:53 PM) *

Same plan as last year.

John

agree.gif driving.gif
Bills914-4
QUOTE(KENNY @ Aug 18 2013, 06:26 PM) *

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Aug 18 2013, 01:53 PM) *

Same plan as last year.

John

agree.gif driving.gif

We Agree X 2 , driving.gif , Bill & Luz
carr914
I sent Joe a PM last week and haven't heard back. With Sharp around, that make's the burden less on Series9
JoeSharp
Oh NO, I get to party.... piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
I actulay left the Left coast to come here for the Party. This year I would have to leave the Wright coast wub.gif to miss it.
Maybe I should help out. Ya think?
Let's have some fun with cars and turn it into a party. Not that it wasn't last year.
bcheney
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Aug 19 2013, 02:54 AM) *

Oh NO, I get to party.... piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
I actulay left the Left coast to come here for the Party. This year I would have to leave the Wright coast wub.gif to miss it.
Maybe I should help out. Ya think?
Let's have some fun with cars and turn it into a party. Not that it wasn't last year.

Last year was great. I love the combo with the racing at the speedway, the drive to Flagler Beach was cool and the island was a little cool in temp but a blast! We are in for this years Ramble! Lets set the date!!
ThePaintedMan
Not that it matters, or that I would ask anyone to hold anything off for me, but we're getting married October 26th. If it's any other weekend, you know I'll be there! smile.gif
carr914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 19 2013, 09:06 AM) *

Not that it matters, or that I would ask anyone to hold anything off for me, but we're getting married October 26th. If it's any other weekend, you know I'll be there! smile.gif

I Vote for Nov 14-17

Click to view attachment
JoeSharp
Myself, I like the !st thru the 20th. That would bring me up to Thanksgiving and onto another Holiday. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
But TC is correct. The HRS at Daytona. biggrin.gif
Maybe we should ask the Captain. After all he is our Pilot and is his event.
carr914
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Aug 19 2013, 09:28 AM) *

Maybe we should ask the Captain. After all he is our Pilot and is his event.

Well go wake him up from his Rip Van Winkle Nap. Last Year he started planning this in Feb and it is now Aug.

The HRS Race part was great and a good time filler on Friday, but we had to get back to do the Boat Trip. Last year we a had a big lull on Saturday after the drive to Flagler & before Dinner

So, as a Suggestion, do the Boat Trip on Friday, then on Saturday, we do the drive, eat an early lunch, then drive to Daytona for the HRS Races, then back to Deland for Dinner
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.