Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Flatbed Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
76-914
Well Shit Sticks. I guess I shouldn't complain. Only the second time it's been towed. First time it was running all OEM. This time was a first since it was converted to the Dark Side current Subaru drive train. I thought that I had a handle on this problem. A month or so back it began to cut out on me so I replaced the fuel pump. piratenanner.gif Eureka! Problem solved. Then 2 days later I attended Ron's service. It was 100+ that day and I had pushed it hard on the way home. Half a block from the house it quit. WTF.gif is it now. The pump was new as in < 5hr's run time but I had no way of confirming this as I had no FP gage. Two hours later it started as if nothing had ever occurred. I wasn't buying it so I ordered this little unit and let the car sit until the gage and sender arrived.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It runs about 58psi at idle, 64psi at cruise. I haven't input the altitude conversion factors yet but it's pretty damned close. It has user set hi & lo pressure alarms as well. I knew the upper limit for FP was 98psi but did not know the lower limit until last nite. It is 42psi. mad.gif

Click to view attachment

I was in the middle lane, Friday 5:30 traffic, and returning home with two Beef Fajita Dinners when it dies. I look down and see the pressure at 42 and dropping until it reached 31psi where it remains today. That new Mother sheeplove.gif fuel pump was Kaput. SOB. fyou1.gif Now, I at least know what the problem is and I've ordered a new OEM pump. That other POS one must have been Chinese. So, this is why we all have AAA, right? I was fortunate that the road widens there so I pushed it to the side, climbed in and called AAA.
It gets better. After calling AAA I thought I should sit outside the car rather than inside. As I emerge from the car I see the flashing red lights, a van and a pick up behind me. Evidently Kugal decided to break down right where they wanted to set up this little Friday PM Get Together. av-943.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

That weren't too happy with me. I told them the wrecker was on it's way but they wouldn't have it so they relocated in front of me. happy11.gif The wrecker driver cracked up when I told him what occurred.

Click to view attachment

All was not lost, however. Remember those 2 Dinners. I threw them in the front right behind the radiator, climbed in the cab of the wrecker and they were still warm when I got home. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
sb914
Bummer dude! But you did have me lol-2.gif the way you told the story!
Fix it ,and I'll "sea" you next weekend!
Olympic 914
#%$&*@>^

Click to view attachment

Running along the I 79 heading for Niagara Falls, heard an unusual noise. still running though but down on power. pulled of at next exit Grove City. 88 miles from home.

#3 dead....

Called AAA, got home, transferred suitcases to another car and headed on to Niagara Falls again.

Busted rocker shaft stud on #3. Flush

So the engine has to come back out..... headbang.gif
76-914
14 months to the day since I posted a break down. idea.gif Either folks are having an unbelievable stretch of good fortune or don't want to let us know they broke down. Bad break man. Sometimes I think Porsche should have incorporated removable access panels between the doors and rear wheels. lol-2.gif
Cracker
There are "other ways" to tow-a-teener...when in the middle of nowhere! Right Matt? shades.gif

Tony

Click to view attachment
Gulf91474
Off to PMB for a 3.2 heart trans plant...
GregAmy
No fuel pump action. New-ish pump, and I've fought electrical/relay issues in the recent past (replaced the plate with a good used, apparently didn't fix it for long).

So where's that thread about the solid-state reply plates? Are we making those yet...?

Click to view attachment
burton73
My new 1970 - 4 coming to my shop

Bob BClick to view attachment
burton73
My 76 moving to Leamons to fix the smog pump

burton73
My 1974 body for the V8, Turbo 930 trans making the move from old shop to my new shop.

914_7T3
Hitchin' a ride home after motor drop two weeks ago.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Interior torn down and another ride off to the paint shop!

Click to view attachment

RickS
Damn, if I knew this thread existed, I would have shot a pic last month when flat bedded due to a shot starter. But with an old car, there is always a next time. biggrin.gif
Optimusglen
This is once I finished the build. Made sure it ran and then carted it down to a friends shop to have the carbs tuned by a master. Exterior wasn't buttoned up yet, but it's mostly there.

IPB Image
Robnxious
Well, it was my turn yesterday to take the "Ride of Shame". Hopefully it was 'only' the CV joint letting loose and nothing else major was damaged. Click to view attachment
76-914
If it hasn't been on a Flatbed it isn't being driven. happy11.gif
Robnxious
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 18 2017, 06:50 AM) *

If it hasn't been on a Flatbed it isn't being driven. happy11.gif

Oh, I am OK with it being on a flatbed, just was SORT of hoping that I got to drive it a bit more. Here is hoping it's just the CV joint that let loose and nothing worse.

I didn't want to take it down to So. Cal for Xmas anyway, right? Who needs to drive Palms to Pines or Mt. Palomar? headbang.gif
jim_hoyland
Broken accelerator cable; good news is it broke in the parking lot at Starbucks and not on the freeway...
JOEPROPER
Click to view attachment
Engine is almost ready and my winter project will begin. Now I just need some time to work on it, which seems to be the biggest hurdle.
Larmo63
This thread reminds me to have a clutch and throttle cable on board..... confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
Robnxious
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 18 2017, 05:01 PM) *

This thread reminds me to have a clutch and throttle cable on board..... confused24.gif

And spare half axles! Got a good look at it tonight, and the half shaft is off right at the tranny, and looks like it took out the starter too. Oh well, I can't take it with me, can I?
Maltese Falcon
A little out of order in this thread...but on the flatbed being shipped ( "Before pic ") to Anacapa media blasting / Camarillo, CA. The '74 is pictured here in light ivory, but not an LE CanAm.
It's been recently re-born in #908 GP white Click to view attachment
sb914
When my clutch exploded!Click to view attachment
SO.O.C914er
Jim I see the water tower house in the background! We could have pushed your car home. Better yet called Hector at PCH garage 1/2 mile away! idea.gif
oldschool
mad.gif Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Dec 18 2017, 06:20 PM) *

Jim I see the water tower house in the background! We could have pushed your car home. Better yet called Hector at PCH garage 1/2 mile away! idea.gif

I towed it home and replaced the cable. BTW, the cable broke right behind the ball cup. It was only 3 years old too ! Good news is I won’thave To worry about it on the Rt 66 drive...... huh.gif

I once saw a member ,( #8), here break the ACC cable on the drive up Mulholland in th the SM mountains; he stopped to pull the cable out from the tunnel, routed it around the passenger side and through the window. Then attached a pair of vice grips to the end of the cable and had the co-pilot manage the accelerator
gerber28
No "ride of shame" when your bringing home a rollerIPB Image

and a rusty pile of parts
IPB Image
ThreeV8s
Had it flat-bedded when I had the mysterious steering issue which turned out to be a broken control arm. No shame here. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Gulf91474
on the way for Her 3.2
mgphoto
Throttle cable, first one I broke since 1984, when I bought the car.
Ordered a Terry cable and a Gemo, I'll install the Terry and keep the Gemo in the trunk, cheap insurance.

Click to view attachment
billh1963
These are my flatbeds (F350 and F550). But, I don't carry 914's on them smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
don-6
I haven't had a 914 on a flatbed yet, but here are some of my other cars taking a ride.

Click to view attachment
My 968 on the flatbed after developing a coolant leak.

Click to view attachment
My 356 Barn find coming home.
Spoke
Had the 930 towed from Pittsburgh to Allentown (270 miles). It quit running over the weekend after the Pittsburgh Historic Grand Prix car show.

It rained the whole way so I taped up the whale tail to keep the engine as dry as possible.

Oh, by the way, the flatbed broke down about 20 miles out of the 'burgh. Blew a turbo hose. It died with the loud POP. Took 2 1/2 hours to get a new hose and back on the road.

How ironic: The flatbed carrying a Porsche turbo blew a turbo hose. A turbo died carrying a dead turbo. Solidarity!
tmc914
When I first bought the car last year and had to tow it home.Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
No Shame...

Elwood arriving at his new home.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Bulldozer27
Stuck near Lake Cachuma north of Santa Barbara while driving it home from San Francisco the day I bought it. beerchug.gif

IPB Image
raynekat
Click to view attachment

Mine going back to the paint shop for some touch ups.
No drivetrain in the car at this point, so a "painless" flatbed trip if there can be any.
76-914
QUOTE(Bulldozer27 @ Dec 9 2018, 08:15 PM) *

Stuck near Lake Cachuma north of Santa Barbara while driving it home from San Francisco the day I bought it. beerchug.gif

IPB Image

FYI, the next time (and there will be one) post a "Need Quick Help" in the Garage Section. Many others here have done that and gotten a response or helping hand to get them back on the road. We're a Band of Brother's here. beerchug.gif
dan10101
I'll Play!

This is the first time I laid eyes on it.

Click to view attachment
orangecrate
ha ha ha. Like old Harleys in a pickup. Mine has been on my own trailer. Possibly more miles than I've driven it! WA to the Bay Area and back, then WA to AZ where it sits now. But then it hasn't moved under its own power in a decade. Trying to remedy that shortly. Sorry No pics.
drem914
Mine when coming out of paint on the way to rejoining the engine and trans

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Bringing her home...

Click to view attachment
Bulldozer27
Avant-garde shot of the today's failure.....

IPB Image
Superhawk996
Had to flatbed it home from purchase.

Click to view attachment

Couldn't be test driven at the time I closed the deal. What have i done! confused24.gif

Details of ensuring fun!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=335209
Coondog
Before I went Six...
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Click to view attachment
MartyYeoman
The day my ring gear bolt head broke off. headbang.gif
euro911
I forgot about this one ... August 2015 - after a failed hydraulic clutch release conversion attempt ... had to have the 'BB' transported back home to wait for a better plan to come to fruition idea.gif

Click to view attachment
76-914
Need to quit dumping the clutch. CV's don't like it one bit. bootyshake.gif

Click to view attachment
Michael N
Started out this morning on a flat bed. Hate to say it but this might be my second contribution to this thread. Just in time for Monterey car week. headbang.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.