Full Version: The Flatbed Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
euro911
What happened?
Michael N
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 13 2019, 09:15 PM) *

What happened?

Gas pedal not returning, I think combo of cable and bracket off of the transmission worn. Definitely need new bushings on the bracket.
dt4
On its way from the docks at Felixstowe, picture sent at 14:30 so about 4 hours away from me
beer3.gif
Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(Michael N @ Aug 13 2019, 09:27 PM) *

Started out this morning on a flat bed. Hate to say it but this might be my second contribution to this thread. Just in time for Monterey car week. headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

You get a Silver Star after your third one. av-943.gif
malcolm2
Click to view attachment

Throwout Bearing earlier this summer. Went to lunch and returning back to work I had no shift.

Insurance covered the $80 tow home. Spent about $500 on "while I am in there" stuff. Everything related to removing the tranz..... everything. If I saw it, I replaced it.
Even found that the clutch pedal shaft bushing was eaten thru by the cable pin.

By the way. FCPEuro.com had TOB, friction disk, pressure plate. Everything they sell has a lifetime warranty. So next time it will just be my labor.
Unobtanium-inc
I know it's the truck, but the gearbox went while towing a Porsche, so that counts. Luckily, the truck was under warranty until December so it was FREE.
wobbletop
Coming back from 914 meet at Mosport

Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(Michael N @ Aug 14 2019, 07:01 AM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 13 2019, 09:15 PM) *
What happened?
Gas pedal not returning, I think combo of cable and bracket off of the transmission worn. Definitely need new bushings on the bracket.
At least it's not something catastrophic. Should have you fixed up in no time aktion035.gif
euro911
QUOTE(dt4 @ Aug 14 2019, 07:53 AM) *
On its way from the docks at Felixstowe, picture sent at 14:30 so about 4 hours away from me
beer3.gif

Click to view attachment
Looks like it's raining and the windows are rolled down? sad.gif ... make sure to dry out the interior good when you get it home idea.gif

... and welcome.png
dt4
it was raining and there isnt any glass in the doors
its in the dry now though and no carpets to get wet
dabird
The day it was deliveredClick to view attachment
Robarabian
When purchased...
RickS
MSD took a dirt nap

Click to view attachment
orthobiz
\IPB Image

I bought this 1971 original paint car from BSChairman a couple of years ago. Brought good wheels/tires down to Detroit area 200 miles from home. The fuel pump wasn't working because of a bad relay board about 90 miles from my home. AAA to the rescue!

Some maiden voyage!

Car runs great now.

Paul

I'm sitting in the cab of the tow truck and looking at the car through the side mirror.

IPB Image
mangrum
Picking up the ‘72 from the painter.
Click to view attachment
VegasRacer
After 25 years of faithful service trailering race cars, my 1991 Chevrolet G20 Van gets to ride for the first time. smilie_flagge24.gif
Click to view attachment

Sadly, it will be a one way trip. sad.gif R.I.P.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
euro911
Sorry for your loss, John sad.gif
Coondog
Someone used the same cone screw and didn’t use loc-tight.....wonder who that was but I was surly PMS ing...... shades.gif

Happened last year
Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
Two weeks ago on the way to work, had it back same day, but still sucked.
rbzymek
About one month into my affliction I had removed the single carb and installed L-Jet with a (new?) dual relay from CIP1. CIP1 finally gave me a refund for the relay after several phone calls but I was still out the $90 tow fee.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Jamie
I almost forgot about my flatbed adventure while Dad was still alive. I drove him down to Tennessee Tubs near Nashville, his first trip in his "former" 914 since I had bought it and done some serious "fix-er-upen." I don't remember the year, but on the way back home here in central KY a loose part in the tranny blew a hole in the housing and drained the oil on I-65 on a hot summer day. Exercised my AAA card and was towed back to Lexington for a tranny rebuild, and some additional while we're at it replacements of clutch, throw-out bearing, etc.
raynekat
On the way to the shop (nearly a year ago) to get the drivetrain installed after I spent the previous year assembling the rest of the car.
Happy days.

Click to view attachment
dt4
The end of a 4500 mile journeyClick to view attachment
76-914
Since this thread is back up I thought I should post my 3rd CV failure 4 weeks ago. What is the importance of the street sign? This is within 100' of where I broke down a few months back. mad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 5 2020, 08:05 AM) *

Since this thread is back up I thought I should post my 3rd CV failure 4 weeks ago. What is the importance of the street sign? This is within 100' of where I broke down a few months back. mad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I think I’d stop driving that road Kent. bye1.gif
poorsche914
The day started out good driving.gif and then...
Click to view attachment

rolleyes.gif
Bruce Edge
Which is the proper way to load a 914 on a trailer. I have several trailers to chose from, some heavy 4 wheel jobs to a light Two wheel. I have home made two wheel trailer I have been using for 30 years. It is ugly, but light weight, can put it with smaller vehicles. When not loaded, I can unhook and roll it around buy myself. I have hauled more car than I can count, a smaller sports car, like 356’s.
Recently, I took 914 to Florida, loaded it backwards, to get the weight on the tongue of the trailer. It was a horrible trip, trailer fished back and forth. Was the wind pushing against the rear window the problem.
Including a older picture of the trailer being pulled by my VW bus.
Cairo94507
I have always seen them loaded front first. That must have been a scary trip with the trailer whipping around like that. Glad it did not cause any real issues.
preach
QUOTE(Bruce Edge @ May 1 2020, 01:26 PM) *

Including a older picture of the trailer being pulled by my VW bus.

I'd love to see that pic. My dream is to tow an aluminum trailer with my 914 on it with my Westfalia. Gods that would be cool.
euro911
Always try to place the heaviest portion of the load over (or just ahead of) the trailer's axles.

I bought a Smithy at a industrial machine convention and they loaded it into my 5x8 enclosed 'horse trailer' with a fork lift, but because of the ramp, they couldn't fork it very far into the trailer. I had to drive 50 miles at 40 mph (slow lane on the freeway) because it would fishtail like crazy sad.gif
Gatornapper
About 4 years ago 3 friends and I all had bad "get our car towed home in a flatbed" experiences and were fed up with paying huge fees as insurance only covered a few miles - so we went together and got a nice 16' Big Tex dual axle trailer with a 10k GVWR, and in the first 2 months it paid for itself. So glad to have it, keep it parked here as we have 15 acres. Put a winch on it to pull vehicles on to it.

I've only put my 914 on it once, when ignition went out, but put Rickb45's beautiful '72 914 on it once. Never a problem fishtailing, always put car on facing forward. As Mark S said, keep weight in front of axles, on tongue........

Sorry, no pics.

GN
eric9144
Drew the short stick today... Heading to the SoCal drive @Coondog set up, hauling ass down the 5, doing "the ton" and all of a sudden I'm billowing oil smoke out of the engine lid like the Blue Angels on a fly over dry.gif

Shut the key off on the freeway in the fast lane and threw it into neutral to stop the bleeding...

Puke tank puked, don't really know why, 6 hours of oil mop up and every thing seems to be "normal" WTF.gif

Think it might go to Patrick Motorsports for a check up

Click to view attachment

Sad too because the day started like this:

Click to view attachment
eric9144
Damn sideways picutres, I'm on a macbook and I swear I can't get them right, sorry blink.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 2 2020, 08:50 PM) *

Drew the short stick today... Heading to the SoCal drive @Coondog set up, hauling ass down the 5, doing "the ton" and all of a sudden I'm billowing oil smoke out of the engine lid like the Blue Angels on a fly over dry.gif

Shut the key off on the freeway in the fast lane and threw it into neutral to stop the bleeding...

Puke tank puked, don't really know why, 6 hours of oil mop up and every thing seems to be "normal" WTF.gif

Think it might go to Patrick Motorsports for a check up

Click to view attachment

Sad too because the day started like this:

Click to view attachment

Sorry Eric! You’re not able to join us this morning. Sad that you are the earliest one who left the house to attend the drive this morning. Well hoping you will find the issue.
euro911
QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 2 2020, 08:51 PM) *
Damn sideways picutres, I'm on a macbook and I swear I can't get them right, sorry blink.gif
Open the offending 'picture' in Preview, then from the top header, click Tools, scroll down to Rotate Right, (or Rotate Left (as needed) to reorient the picture, then click Save ... then upload the image again as usual ...
914-300Hemi
On my last drive I over rev’d the engine and when I got home the was making clacking noise. Car off to Marc’s to be fixed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Jul 25 2020, 09:07 AM) *

On my last drive I over rev’d the engine and when I got home the was making clacking noise. Car off to Marc’s to be fixed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I see a rev limiter in your future.. beerchug.gif
914-300Hemi
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 25 2020, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Jul 25 2020, 09:07 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I see a rev limiter in your future.. beerchug.gif

I don’t think so Kent. This was pure stupidity on my part. headbang.gif headbang.gif
ctc911ctc
I thought it was a Clutch Cable (Can't be, I inspected the entire cable when I got the car) and it turned out to be the CLEVIS.... WHAT!!!! A plastic part in such a critical position!!!!!!!!

ar15.gif ar15.gif

Click to view attachment
euro911
That's Volkswagen for ya. They still install plastic 'critical drive train' components in some of their vehicles. They were still installing a plastic bell crank between the shift lever mechanism and another shift rod to the transmission selector linkage in the Beetle/Golf/Jetta line. They called the bell crank a 'relay' in the parts diagram screwy.gif

When it broke, it left owners stranded with no way to shift gears to move out of harms way mad.gif ... ask me how I know shades.gif

I always use the metal trunnion block (some folks call it a clevis), and carry a spare one, along with a spare cable and two 11 mm nuts idea.gif
euro911
Hope your motor isn't a total loss, Ravi dry.gif
euro911
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 5 2020, 09:05 AM) *

Since this thread is back up I thought I should post my 3rd CV failure 4 weeks ago.

What is the importance of the street sign? This is within 100' of where I broke down a few months back. mad.gif

IPB Image
Looks more like the intersection of 'Arriba' and 'Tuyo' poke.gif
76-914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 25 2020, 10:45 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 5 2020, 09:05 AM) *

Since this thread is back up I thought I should post my 3rd CV failure 4 weeks ago.

What is the importance of the street sign? This is within 100' of where I broke down a few months back. mad.gif

IPB Image
Looks more like the intersection of 'Arriba' and 'Tuyo' poke.gif

Arriba y Chingame! happy11.gif
ctc911ctc
Bought a brass one from 914rubber - Thanks Mark!

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 25 2020, 11:31 AM) *

That's Volkswagen for ya. They still install plastic 'critical drive train' components in some of their vehicles. They were still installing a plastic bell crank between the shift lever mechanism and another shift rod to the transmission selector linkage in the Beetle/Golf/Jetta line. They called the bell crank a 'relay' in the parts diagram screwy.gif

When it broke, it left owners stranded with no way to shift gears to move out of harms way mad.gif ... ask me how I know shades.gif

I always use the metal trunnion block (some folks call it a clevis), and carry a spare one, along with a spare cable and two 11 mm nuts idea.gif

trick-e
Had it a week. Stopped to help with a traffic accident and she wouldn’t start. Later discovered it was the ground strap. I like cheap and simple fixes.
914-300Hemi
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 25 2020, 10:39 AM) *

Hope your motor isn't a total loss, Ravi dry.gif

I don’t think so. We think it is a broken spring. It is a wait and see game right now.
FlacaProductions
It's been happening since the beginning of time..sorting through photos recently reveals this episode from 1991 as I was moving from Iowa to Tampa.

I have determined that this is now Exit 306 on 75 South at Adairsville, GA. It's been so long that I can't remember what happened but I know it ended up at Automobile Atlanta where George put a rebuilt 1.7 in it.

Click to view attachment
jim912928
Here is mine on the trailer when I bought it:

Click to view attachment

Here it is several years later with body restored, interior restored, and a 3.2L six installed:

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 25 2020, 12:31 PM) *

Be aware that the trunnion that Porsche specifies for a 914 has been superseded incorrectly. To get the proper adjustment range for the cable, you need a spacer behind it. I use a Weltmeister aluminum clutch link pin for a 70-71 911.

IPB Image

That is the only image I could find online. Depending on the cable, you may have to shorten it slightly to get the cable to fit. But it fits the clutch arm better, and gives you more adjustment on the cable without having to use a spacer.

trick-e
...and there she goes. Project sold! Now all I have to do is enjoy my ‘75 and figure out what to do with the reclaimed garage space.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.