Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Flatbed Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
76-914
There are basically 2 kinds of 914 owners. Those that have been towed and those who have not been towed, yet! So post your pic's here with an appropriate quip. I didn't get pic's from my first 3 tow's but I did get the 4th one. Amazingly enough, I was passed up (ignored if you will) and left stranded in the parking lot by poke.gif 23 other teeners whom I had just had lunch with. Friends dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Did I mention it was a 70 mile tow on the million dollar hiway in a truck that could not go over 35mph or the front end would shake badly. But this little guy, Fritz, (the drivers sidekick) made the ride much better.

Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
I didn't get pics of my ride last week, but as we pulled into the neighborhood (being a gorgeous day), damn near everyone in the 'hood was out. I turned to the driver and said, "The ride of shame", since most everyone knows my car. I believe that was my fifth RoS in probably 6 years, but the car was up on stands from '08 to '11, so my batting average is stromberg.gif
914.SBC
Not even gonna say what happened. Just one of those dumb things.

abnrdo
popcorn[1].gif
ezbngreen914
Click to view attachment
First day of ownership! 1.5 hours into drive home fuel pump went out.
shoguneagle
At least you have driven your cars on the road; being brought back is just part of the troubleshooting process; they are all test drives!!!

Ah!! Now jackstands is a different story. They mean a person is still working on his/her car. This category goes on for sometime and probably years. How do i know???

Seven years in building on jack stands without any painting. drove it for the summer - troubleshooting it along the way. Back on jack stands to change items I had not done correctly/modifications I did not like. Replacing transaxle with a Dr. Evil Rebuilt; changing throttle; changing exhaust to have heat; 911/Sway-A-Way assemblies on axles and related bearing/hub changes; 911 e-brake; 911 rear brakes; and other sundry changes.

Where did it go?? Back on jack stands!!!!

Steve
1973-914-2L
I have not had the need to be towed "yet" only had mine for a few weeks and its been in the garage since day two ... but I have had the joy of handing a AAA card to a driver with the 911 .. yes stuff also happens to them ...

But back to the original poster .. you should start another thread topic SHAME ON YOU .. and put the passers on blast .. that's just not right ...

Steve
Daiberl
The day I bought her after being in storage for more than 20 years.
pete-stevers
we should rally move this to the sandbox...for limited veiwing admins biggrin.gif
Nie Zu Alt
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 19 2012, 06:08 PM) *

Amazingly enough, I was passed up (ignored if you will) and left stranded in the parking lot by poke.gif 23 other teeners whom I had just had lunch with. Friends dry.gif

Hey Kent - Don't you remember us? biggrin.gif
dlo914
IPB Image

back in feb 09'
Cairo94507
Click to view attachment

This was mine on the way home when purchased February 6, 2010.
SLITS
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 19 2012, 05:08 PM) *

There are basically 2 kinds of 914 owners. Those that have been towed and those who have not been towed, yet! So post your pic's here with an appropriate quip. I didn't get pic's from my first 3 tow's but I did get the 4th one. Amazingly enough, I was passed up (ignored if you will) and left stranded in the parking lot by poke.gif 23 other teeners whom I had just had lunch with. Friends dry.gif

Did I mention it was a 70 mile tow on the million dollar hiway in a truck that could not go over 35mph or the front end would shake badly. But this little guy, Fritz, (the drivers sidekick) made the ride much better.

Oh Kent, you are so, so very, uhhh, ignorable! poke.gif

We just figured you loved Durango and decided to stay a while.

PS .. had my own problems and once I got it running I wasn't stopping for anyone.
76-914

Ron had his own unique set of problems that day and was across the street when I stalled so he is off the hook. Besides, he had just been "left for dead" on the way over to Durango so it could have been revenge. av-943.gif
poke.gif Did you get that fuel pump fixed. BTW, I'm bringing the black car this time because I'm following an oil slinger.
Elliot Cannon
I decided to tow it myself this time. I let some of the magic smoke out and roasted the oil pressure sender and the distributor. confused24.gif I had to tow it to someone who knew what they were doing, so I didn't do any more damage. laugh.gif
neyen14
barf.gif
Joe Owensby
I should be careful saying this, but: I have had my 914 since 1973. It has never been towed. I have had to make a few roadside repairs over the years. Once, I had to fix a fuel leak near the pump- pretty nasty. Once I had a fairly new Mallory electronic dizzy crap out, and I had to replace it with a std dizzy that I carry as a back up. Once when it had only about 25,000 miles on it- I had to make the little pivot arm that the clutch cable goes through out of a pipe fitting. The original pivot arms were plastic, and would break. I made one from a pipe tee using a hack saw and a file. It lasted about 100,000 or so miles before I replaced it with a newer metal one from Porsche.

I rebuilt the car several years ago, and use it as my daily driver, putting about 10,000 miles per year. Almost 30,000 since rebuild. I replaced most of the items that could conk out, so I hope it stays reliable. JoeO
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Mar 20 2012, 09:30 PM) *

I should be careful saying this, but: I have had my 914 since 1973. It has never been towed. I have had to make a few roadside repairs over the years. Once, I had to fix a fuel leak near the pump- pretty nasty. Once I had a fairly new Mallory electronic dizzy crap out, and I had to replace it with a std dizzy that I carry as a back up. Once when it had only about 25,000 miles on it- I had to make the little pivot arm that the clutch cable goes through out of a pipe fitting. The original pivot arms were plastic, and would break. I made one from a pipe tee using a hack saw and a file. It lasted about 100,000 or so miles before I replaced it with a newer metal one from Porsche.

I rebuilt the car several years ago, and use it as my daily driver, putting about 10,000 miles per year. Almost 30,000 since rebuild. I replaced most of the items that could conk out, so I hope it stays reliable. JoeO

Joe, What dealer ship was yours bought new at? mine was bought new in Greenville SC.
euro911
Click to view attachment

Oh crap mad.gif I posted in the wrong forum again, didn't I confused24.gif

My first AAA ® tow ever. Transporting the old gal from my storage garage to my shop.

MikeSpraggi
Both cars .... for one reason or another ....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

zymurgist
Click to view attachment

Car died by the side of the road. No idea whether it was an ignition problem or a fuel problem.

Yup, it was a fuel problem. You need it to make the car run. headbang.gif
Spoke
This flatbed ride was only 1/2 mile from where my car was hit to my home.

It took 9 months, 13 days, and a few hours (9-14) to get it straightened out, re-inspected, and on the road again.
76-914
Either everyones 914 is doing really well or they have forgotten to post their pic's. So, I went out and broke down so I could revive this thread.
Let me back up a bit. After Rt 66 I was reading a CV post and read McM's comment on sliding the driveshaft to check CV's. Now I know what that occassional clunking was. chair.gif I had installed the Pertronix and wanted to drive it before I dropped the shafts. I must hold a high opinion of my mechanical skills because I left the house w/o nary a tool. slap.gif Went for a spin thru the wine country and lost my shifter on the return leg. I knew immediatly that I had not properly torqued the 13mm clamp after adjusting and that it had slipped. Did it by feel. Good n tight. Told you I was good. bootyshake.gif

Click to view attachment
euro911
I carry a shit-load of tools, including a set of aluminum jack stands, but with my luck, I'll need a replacement part that I don't have with me dry.gif

Now, we can't carry a whole warehouse of spare parts with us, but aren't a socket set and an assortment of wrenches mandatory traveling companions confused24.gif

me slap.gif you

laugh.gif
oldschool
blink.gif
rmital
sawzall-smiley.gif
siverson
Mine...

nomore9one4
sad.gif
76-914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 19 2012, 12:29 PM) *

I carry a shit-load of tools, including a set of aluminum jack stands, but with my luck, I'll need a replacement part that I don't have with me dry.gif

Now, we can't carry a whole warehouse of spare parts with us, but aren't a socket set and an assortment of wrenches mandatory traveling companions confused24.gif

me slap.gif you

laugh.gif

WTF.gif was I thinking? I keep a cheap set in the white one. Why wouldn't I need one in this one? You can't fix stupid. headbang.gif
toolguy
off to paint - 1 year ago/ / /
rick 918-S
From 2010 half way across the country. Ended up being nothing.
Joe Owensby
QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Mar 20 2012, 10:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Mar 20 2012, 09:30 PM) *

Joe, What dealer ship was yours bought new at? mine was bought new in Greenville SC.

I bought mine from Autohaus in Charlotte, May, 1973.
Strudelwagon
This is on the way to Paint and body......
Click to view attachment

And this is the way back home!
Click to view attachment
carr914
Click to view attachment
Gustl
my ex-Sporto, on the way to the shop that did some tech-rebuild
Gustl
my current 914-6 on its way to the shipping company
euro911
WTF.gif Didn't you just get it? ... where are you shipping it to? confused24.gif
Jeffs9146
My original 6 as I shipped it off to Finland!
euro911
I guess the wording threw me, & didn't look at the truck. I remember Dodge being called Fargo abroad, at least back in the '70's.
flippa
I have had numerous breakdowns & tows over the years (thank you AAA Plus!) but no pictures of the dead cars on a flatbed.

This is my 75 coming home on my cousin's car trailer.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Thestigz06
Cant believe i didnt see this before kent! This is where i belong!
Well lets see...

I bought the car....(doubt if that counts)
IPB Image

And then after months of not realizing i was mechanically clueless, I sent if off to see brad...
IPB Image

All went well for a little over a year and then this happened(the picture of me on the flat bed is MIA)
IPB Image

And 4 months later one night coming home from my girls house the belt shredded and I didnt have enough juice to get home(again, MIA as it was on the same memory card)...

And then coming down Ortega after the VW classic last June I managed to run over a large rock and blow the tire(no spare)!
IPB Image

Based off of my cars history something should go horribly wrong by about mid September! confused24.gif

Anyways,

icon_bump.gif for thread revival and ammo to make fun of me next Dawn Patrol! biggrin.gif
Rockaria
my 75 a bunch of years ago as it was delivered to my house.
Click to view attachment
Rockaria
My 73 being delivered to my home. Well, I went a got this one myself (all of 10 miles away.)
Click to view attachment
Strudelwagon
Click to view attachment
Bringing it home
Click to view attachment
On the way to paint
Mark Henry
My rig is older than my 914 biggrin.gif
MikeM
Fuel pump stopped working at a friends house. I couldn't get under it there so we towed it to another friends house where I could use his lift.
euro911
wub.gif Nice bus, Mark. Brings back memories of my old '67.

Towing my wife's '71 to the shop a few months ago

Gustl
QUOTE(Scotti @ Apr 23 2012, 02:12 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 22 2012, 07:38 PM) *

WTF.gif Didn't you just get it? ... where are you shipping it to? confused24.gif

I think that is a photo of the PO in the US loading the car to ship to Europe. I don't think they have many Dodge pickups in Austria blink.gif

sorry for late reply unsure.gif

yupp - Scott is correct first.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.