Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 to a GT conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
CptTripps
I keep thinking that no matter what I do to my car...it'll look like shit compared to this.

Absolutely amazing. Bravo sir.
Chris H.
It's the "high bar" for sure. Can't even tell if ANY body filler was used confused24.gif ..
raw1298
Absolutely amazing. Keep the pictures coming.
The Metal Surgeon
interior in primer....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
sixnotfour
Looks Great biggrin.gif
That front trunk floor is so smooth smash.gif

except for ----
ConeDodger
Nice...
mepstein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 19 2014, 02:44 PM) *

Looks Great biggrin.gif
That front trunk floor is so smooth smash.gif

except for ----

And the holes for the oil tank and, ect.

I'm sure there is a plan for this stuff in the near future. Never hurts to get primer on bare metal.
gothspeed
Wow ........ great work!!! smilie_pokal.gif
CptTripps
Impressive as hell. Wow.
PanelBilly
Are you adding the front oil cooler? Now would be the time to cut it out
Loser_Cruiser
I would like to subscribe to this thread. Thank you smile.gif
db9146
I have a couple of questions for the Metal Surgeon.....

How long have you had the 914 in the shop?

Are original Porsche flares any better or worse (quality-wise) than the AA repros?

Thanks....great work.
The Metal Surgeon
Off to the paint shop for wet sand,paint and undercoat before final delivery to the customer for assembly.

Undecided on final colors.Choosing between signal orange and tangerine orange.Samples from the painter coming this Thursday and a final decision will be made by the owner and his son.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Jeff Hail
Skilled craftsman. My compliments.

Any reason the sill triangle reinforcements were omitted during the metal work? I suppose the owner could have "no step" decals made up after paint.

Jeff
CptTripps
Simply unreal.

Bravo sir. Bravo.
Rleog
Beautifully done. It's great to see one of these cars treated with such care and respect.
Ferg
Very Nice!

No fair that soon Mark is going to have the two nicest 914's in the land hissyfit.gif
bandjoey
Super work! And a suggestion. On such a nice car why not peal off before paint the vin sticker and order a new one. The scratchy old one really detracts from nre paint. Otherwise it looks like a new body. Great work. biggrin.gif
jfort
Awesome to see true craftsmanship in such a wonderful format. Can't wait to see more as the project progresses.
stephenaki
QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Dec 2 2012, 12:07 PM) *

continuation of grafting....
Front LH fender to get the real feel of the conversion.

I tack with the MIG, but TIG weld the panel in as i can control the heat source.Mig is more of a brittle weld on sheet metal in comparison to TIG.

'know what's under your paint'

www.themetalsurgeon.com

Technical question, what heat settings are you using on the TIG? I am hoping to get the flares I have on this summer and will have access to a TIG welder but was curious to the settings you used. I'm actually in a TIG welding class now so getting plenty of practice.
The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 5 2014, 09:55 AM) *

Super work! And a suggestion. On such a nice car why not peal off before paint the vin sticker and order a new one. The scratchy old one really detracts from nre paint. Otherwise it looks like a new body. Great work. biggrin.gif

yes we need a new vin tag,we were discussing the same thing.Which vendor will take care of this?

I like suggestions and improvements.Thank you all
The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(stephenaki @ Mar 5 2014, 10:35 AM) *

I tack with the MIG, but TIG weld the panel in as i can control the heat source.Mig is more of a brittle weld on sheet metal in comparison to TIG.

www.themetalsurgeon.com

Technical question, what heat settings are you using on the TIG? I am hoping to get the flares I have on this summer and will have access to a TIG welder but was curious to the settings you used. I'm actually in a TIG welding class now so getting plenty of practice.

50 amps setting is a good average for 18 gauge
bandjoey
Search for compliance decal. And you'll find the thread to order one
The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Mar 4 2014, 11:15 PM) *

Skilled craftsman. My compliments.

Any reason the sill triangle reinforcements were omitted during the metal work? I suppose the owner could have "no step" decals made up after paint.

Jeff

.....its a car for a 914 Porsche owner ....not a clumsy overweight Corvette owner!

thanks you all for your comments
boogie_man
Wow, just wow. I haven't seen all metal work like that in a long time, very very fair price too, almost too fair lol. That's what it takes folks and why it costs that much as THAT is a lot of work. Awesome !!!!! beerchug.gif
MoveQik
It is bordering on criminal that you covered that metal work with paint. pray.gif
76-914
Well shit. After looking at yours I want to wad mine up and throw it in the trash. dry.gif
Chris H.
Wait I think I see something....yyyyyeeaaa... no sorry that was on my screen. No its literally &^&^*$ing perfect.
r_towle
QUOTE(boogie_man @ Mar 5 2014, 02:34 PM) *

Wow, just wow. I haven't seen all metal work like that in a long time, very very fair price too, almost too fair lol. That's what it takes folks and why it costs that much as THAT is a lot of work. Awesome !!!!! beerchug.gif

what price?
Mike Bellis
Is perfect OK? wub.gif

Someone should use it as a plug so we can make carbon fiber bodies... happy11.gif
The Metal Surgeon
Thank you everyone for your comments,very much appreciated.As for carbon fiber we are making the spoiler below the front bumper out of carbon fiber.
Mike Bellis
Laser scan the body and we can CNC a plug. biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Stunning work and your reputation precedes you.

Andy Thonet (socalandy member here) makes absolutely "spot on" door vin tags. I'd scrap that and get a new one made.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 6 2014, 09:40 PM) *

Stunning work and your reputation precedes you.

Andy Thonet (socalandy member here) makes absolutely "spot on" door vin tags. I'd scrap that and get a new one made.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Awesome ,thank you!
rsrguy3
Sorry for the question. When is it best to apply seam sealer, before or after primer?-Guy
The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(rsrguy3 @ Mar 7 2014, 10:02 AM) *

Sorry for the question. When is it best to apply seam sealer, before or after primer?-Guy

no worries,after primer.make sure its paintable seam sealer.
Kirmizi
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 5 2014, 08:46 AM) *

Very Nice!

No fair that soon Mark is going to have the two nicest 914's in the land hissyfit.gif

You mean this Mark? pray.gif
stephenaki
QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Mar 5 2014, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(stephenaki @ Mar 5 2014, 10:35 AM) *

www.themetalsurgeon.com

Pulse or non pulse?
50 amps setting is a good average for 18 gauge

The Metal Surgeon
Question for you guys on behalf of myself and the owner.

Advise/ recommendations to paint body color or black the following;

Rockers
bumpers
underbody

thanks so far for all your input.
ruby914
QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Mar 24 2014, 09:05 PM) *

Rockers
bumpers
underbody

Signal orange or tangerine orange?
To paint body color looks fat to me.
I think Black rockers.
Bumpers either with black rubber.
Underbody confused24.gif flip a coin.
bulitt
I even like your dolly! biggrin.gif

IPB Image
The Metal Surgeon
undecided on signal or tangerine.

painting body,i agree looks fat,need accents
iamchappy
Signal Yellow is a great color that really stands out even against Signal Orange.

Black accents looks the best to me.
CptTripps
Black accents is a more "70's" look. All depends on what you're going for here.
ben*james
Accents are best, rockers and bumper tops and valances and factory mirrors a big must....oh I just described my narrow body smile.gif.

Awesome work. I was having a HO HUM morning until I read this thread, now I'm ready to attack the day! Keep it up. Thanks for posting.

LaneS
Great job! I can't wait to see the finished product.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Mar 25 2014, 07:54 AM) *

undecided on signal or tangerine.

painting body,i agree looks fat,need accents

In a sea of Signal, Tangerine really stands out. Did Mark ever get over to Gints house to see his Tangerine -6?
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Mar 24 2014, 11:05 PM) *

Rockers
bumpers
underbody

Black makes it "pop"
Johny Blackstain
I think this color combo rocks...
Any further updates?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.