Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 to a GT conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
pete000
Looks like they don't call him the"metal surgeon" for nothin !!
The Metal Surgeon
RH side continued.

metal finishing ,stage finished with a bench file

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

to completion
The Metal Surgeon
Rear right under way.

IPB Image

original arches in pretty good shape.

IPB Image

total time for all the metal work in the project so far 133.5 hrs
914werke
I like!
Dasnowman
QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Dec 9 2012, 09:39 PM) *

Rear right under way.

IPB Image

IPB Image

This looks like a walk in the park compared to building those corner windows on that 59 panel van to 15 window you did...

For the rear 1/4's where did you get the metal or is it just flat stock? Did you have to do some shaping and forming?

If I won the lotto I would have you do some work for me for sure! biggrin.gif but for now I'll just drooley.gif and pray.gif the work ...lol
Gint
WOW! yikes.gif shocked[1].gif That is nice work. Where are you? I'd like to drop by the shop Wednesday. In fact, I have a small job for you.
Scott S
Is this the car that Mark from Autoworks in Littleton is having built? He was down at the shop two weeks ago and I think he showed me these pics. Neat stuff.
pete000
You rarely see a 914 getting this type of quality metal work done. Nice to see a 914 looking like a vintage Ferrari under the paint ! welder.gif

I know where I want my 914 to go for its "some day" restoration of the body ! smilie_pokal.gif
The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(Scott S @ Dec 10 2012, 01:37 PM) *

Is this the car that Mark from Autoworks in Littleton is having built? He was down at the shop two weeks ago and I think he showed me these pics. Neat stuff.

Yes it's Mark's.Thanks for checking out the thread!
The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 10 2012, 12:56 PM) *

WOW! yikes.gif shocked[1].gif That is nice work. Where are you? I'd like to drop by the shop Wednesday. In fact, I have a small job for you.

Come on down, 3852 S Kalamath St, Englewood, CO. Will be there from 11am onwards. Thanks for checking out the thread!

EDITED for our new shop address!
The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(Dasnowman @ Dec 10 2012, 02:25 AM) *

QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Dec 9 2012, 09:39 PM) *

Rear right under way.

IPB Image

IPB Image

This looks like a walk in the park compared to building those corner windows on that 59 panel van to 15 window you did...

Made from from flat sheet metal,18gauge. A little shape was put in with the English wheel.

For the rear 1/4's where did you get the metal or is it just flat stock? Did you have to do some shaping and forming?

If I won the lotto I would have you do some work for me for sure! biggrin.gif but for now I'll just drooley.gif and pray.gif the work ...lol

Gint
QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Dec 10 2012, 09:00 PM) *
Come on down ,1835 W Union Ave Unit 11. Will be there from 11am onwards.Thanks for checking out the thread!
Thanks for posting it! Englewood?
The Metal Surgeon

Here's a quick run down of transforming your 914 to a 914 with GT arches.Painted area must be stripped back to bare metal prior to surgery.

Position all 4 arches in car line 7.5 hrs
Removal of 2 original rear arches to 2 grafted in GT arches 28 hrs
Removal of 2 original front arches to 2 grafted in GT arches 18hrs

total time 53.5 hrs

x $60 per hour =$3210

4 GT arches from Restoration Design $995

total cost $4205

The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 10 2012, 10:03 PM) *

Come on down ,1835 W Union Ave Unit 11. Will be there from 11am onwards.Thanks for checking out the thread!
Thanks for posting it! Englewood? 1835 W Union Ave #11, Englewood, CO 80110

3852 S. Kalamath St. Englewood, CO 80110

EDITED for our new shop address (moved in July 2013)
The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 10 2012, 02:20 PM) *

You rarely see a 914 getting this type of quality metal work done. Nice to see a 914 looking like a vintage Ferrari under the paint ! welder.gif

I know where I want my 914 to go for its "some day" restoration of the body ! smilie_pokal.gif

If you new the quality of a vintage Ferrari build you'd be horrified,namely Pininfarina coach builds.
nathansnathan
QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Dec 10 2012, 09:10 PM) *

total cost $4205

smoke.gif biggrin.gif
Gint
QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Dec 10 2012, 10:14 PM) *

1835 West Union Avenue, Unit 11 | Sheridan, Colorado 80110

Sorry, I couldn't make it this week. I'll have to give you call or PM about this little project. Easy job for you probably. I want to have a right side exhaust outlet made in a 914 rear valance to match the factory outlet in the left side. Interested in doing something like that?
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 14 2012, 07:08 PM) *

total cost $4205

smoke.gif biggrin.gif

Ya your correct... Quality Does Cost $
The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 15 2012, 01:04 AM) *

QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Dec 10 2012, 10:14 PM) *

1835 West Union Avenue, Unit 11 | Sheridan, Colorado 80110

Sorry, I couldn't make it this week. I'll have to give you call or PM about this little project. Easy job for you probably. I want to have a right side exhaust outlet made in a 914 rear valance to match the factory outlet in the left side. Interested in doing something like that?

that's ok ,yeah sure .You can also send pics with any details to jon@themetalsurgeon.com
nathansnathan
QUOTE(396 @ Dec 15 2012, 04:08 AM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 14 2012, 07:08 PM) *

total cost $4205

smoke.gif biggrin.gif

Ya your correct... Quality Does Cost $

I was commenting more on the coincidence of the 420 word, a bit more like fatalistic planetary alignment,Beavis and Butthead, everything in its right place. You can never undervalue numerological significance. They do look very good. I want to see photos like large and shot with an expensive slr camera . smile.gif drooley.gif
Ferg
Met Jon aka The Metal Surgeon tonight at a PCA event, so I figured it was a good time to icon_bump.gif this thread. biggrin.gif
bulitt
This is true art. One question, the bottom rear of this flare doesn't appear to be lined up properly, but I'm sure you did this for a reason. Is it just the picture, my imagination, or do you need profile this section? Is it due to the design of the flare?

IPB Image
The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(bulitt @ Apr 5 2013, 04:40 AM) *

This is true art. One question, the bottom rear of this flare doesn't appear to be lined up properly, but I'm sure you did this for a reason. Is it just the picture, my imagination, or do you need profile this section? Is it due to the design of the flare?

IPB Image

Your right,still work in progress.I have to flare out the tips of the rocker panel to match the bottom of the fender flare.This will then complete the 'flow'.I'm excited to see the look when completed.

Good eye!
rick 918-S
Nice work! smash.gif welder.gif
The Metal Surgeon
Work in progress continues.Finished right hand side rocker ends custom build including housing that bolts to the body front and rear.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

view more work and projects www.themetalsurgeon.com
tscrihfield
This is some great work. I wish I were closer. I would love to see that in person.

Thomas
Maltese Falcon
Excellent craftsmanship, and fair priced as well. I paid my bodyshop those prices in 1990, all steel, tig welded and leaded-in.
Off topic, is that a Model A in the background?
Marty
Rleog
$60.00 / hr is an incredible bargain for this quality workmanship.

Metal Surgeon / Metal Magician !
The Metal Surgeon
Thank you all.If we're busy i'm happy,restoring cars isn't cheap as i'm sure you all know.I used to work for the company 2 doors down from my shop,Classic Restoration,they used to charge me out at $125 per hr.Now that's obscene!
scotty b
QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Aug 12 2013, 06:22 PM) *

Thank you all.If we're busy i'm happy,restoring cars isn't cheap as i'm sure you all know.I used to work for the company 2 doors down from my shop,Classic Restoration,they used to charge me out at $125 per hr.Now that's obscene!

So you quit, moved 2 doors down, and charge half what they do ? They've gotta love that av-943.gif
The Metal Surgeon
Well i left in July 2011 ,set up in my home workshop,only 650sqft.Then May 2012 moved into 2000sqft commercial building and just recently July 1st 2013 moved to a 4000sqft stand alone building 2 doors down from Classic Restoration.

I would be lying if i said i wasn't excited in raising a couple of eye brows over there!
Rleog
beerchug.gif

Here's to integrity and artistry. I admire your style.
speed metal army
Damn.. Now I have to have those rockers when I flare my car.
That is some kickass work. If you were closer,my car would already be there. beerchug.gif
The Metal Surgeon
couple more angles.....

IPB Image

IPB Image

like 356's?

http://www.porsche356registry.org/356talk/4/33777.html
GeorgeRud
Truly beautiful work! Thanks for sharing all the pics!
Nine_14
state of the art in bodywork .... needs a good paintjob to finish this.
The Metal Surgeon
Right hand rocker build.next body in primer...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

JRust
Holy crap that is beautiful work. Some day I want to learn to shape metal. Keep this pics coming drooley.gif
Chris H.
Why even paint over work like that? This might be the second thread of his I said this on.
Cairo94507
smilie_pokal.gif Crazy beautiful work.
kid914
if you decide to use those rockers as molds, and make fg ones I would be in for a set.
I am sure MANY others would be too.
you have mad skills. beerchug.gif first.gif
The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(kid914 @ Jan 12 2014, 07:55 AM) *

if you decide to use those rockers as molds, and make fg ones I would be in for a set.

Aren't they companies producing these GT rockers already?

Thank you all for taking the time to read the thread.
914_8
QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Jan 12 2014, 11:16 AM) *

yes, but none are this nice imo….
The Metal Surgeon
and in first stage primer......

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

914_8

DOH!!!
r_towle
Really high quality work.
Almost ready for paint with no bondo.....

The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(914_8 @ Jan 12 2014, 12:37 PM) *

DOH!!!

i don't understand?
GeorgeRud
Flared rockers are available, and the fit is comparable to other fiberglass parts. Seeing your metal-work is really seeing an artist do his work!

Ever since I read Ron Fournier's book on metalworking, I've always been in awe of the craftsmen that work in metal. It truly is an art form, and I appreciate you sharing the project with us.

Now, when a good shop gives you an estimate that shocks you, this shows what your money buys.
rick 918-S
Nice work! clap56.gif
914_8
QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Jan 12 2014, 11:46 AM) *

QUOTE(914_8 @ Jan 12 2014, 12:37 PM) *

DOH!!!

i don't understand?

double post…. first was post 93
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.