Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 to a GT conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Phil Plummer
Hi I have mechanically completed my 914/6 conversion and have just installed the metal flares.
The issue is with the 916 front and rear my bodyman tells me the quality is very poor and the fit up the worst he has seen in a while I think these are from QRS .
Does anybody know where GOOD quality 916 front and rear bumpers can be had?
Phil
Chris H.
Phil,

I'm not a fiberglass expert but have seen many people on the board re-shape fiberglass bumpers significantly to get them to fit right. Seems to be somewhat rare that they bolt right up and the 916 is apparently one of the hardest to fit. You might want to post a separate thread question so everyone sees it and can comment. There are several professional/capable of professional quality body and paint guys here. I've heard good things overall about QRS but nothing specific about the 916 bumpers. Only a couple of companies actually make them.
Moneypit
Tangerine! My dad's '72 was Tangerine, so I'm biased. It's the 914 that led to us getting a neglected '74 1.8 for $600 and started my 914 addiction!

If only you did charity work, the 1.8 is in a pasture out in west Texas right now with a rusted out control arm mount area. She deserves better!

Regarding your technique, from what I read you generally MIG to tack the panels in place, then use TIG to lay the bead and blend the two together? I realized I will have to learn to weld in order to get our current 914 in shape to last a long time. I will probably have to replace the floorpan, and am curious what technique you would use to accomplish that?
The Metal Surgeon
bumpers and custom metal GT rockers now in paint.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
mepstein
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 1 2014, 09:12 AM) *

Phil,

I'm not a fiberglass expert but have seen many people on the board re-shape fiberglass bumpers significantly to get them to fit right. Seems to be somewhat rare that they bolt right up and the 916 is apparently one of the hardest to fit. You might want to post a separate thread question so everyone sees it and can comment. There are several professional/capable of professional quality body and paint guys here. I've heard good things overall about QRS but nothing specific about the 916 bumpers. Only a couple of companies actually make them.

Scotty b spent many hours reshaping the 916 front on evils car. Many, many hours. It turned him in to a grumpy old man. I would go oem steel.
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 31 2014, 05:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 1 2014, 09:12 AM) *

Phil,

Scotty b spent many hours reshaping the 916 front on evils car. Many, many hours. It turned him in to a grumpy old man. I would go oem steel.

agree.gif dry.gif Front AND rear mad.gif
Emmel
Best in the Business.
The Metal Surgeon
now in paint

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Mike Bellis
Looks great!

I never would have painted that car. The metal work was so nice, I would have just clear coated it. biggrin.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 2 2014, 12:46 AM) *

Looks great!

I never would have painted that car. The metal work was so nice, I would have just clear coated it. biggrin.gif

I thought the same thing. Shame to cover all of that up. I'd hazard a guess that there is less than 2oz of filler on that thing.
pete000
Looks like candy!

beerchug.gif
Sleepin
drooley.gif I now know who is getting a 914 sent over the mountain to him if I win the lotto... biggrin.gif
Scott S
Awesome. If I ever pull the trigger and flare the ass dragger, you are getting a call. You are an artist.

Scott S
I just noticed something - the change in the body line where the rocker sits. Was this done for a specific reason, or for looks/by customer request?
The Metal Surgeon
just artistic license..... good eye!
The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jul 2 2014, 09:33 AM) *

drooley.gif I now know who is getting a 914 sent over the mountain to him if I win the lotto... biggrin.gif

haha ! thank you! beerchug.gif we are very affordable.... our work just looks expensive!
relentless
Impressive and very inspirational!
mepstein
Iconic biggrin.gif
Emmel
QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Jul 1 2014, 10:41 PM) *

now in paint

I'm sure glad someone had my back with a real camera taking the pictures. I guess camera phones are still lacking real technology. Thanks again , the craftsmanship on this project sure was one of a kind . Don't tell the painter but hes getting spoiled first.gif
The Metal Surgeon
and more pics.....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
The Metal Surgeon
Part assembling the body,hood,trunk ,doors,rockers etc to take to the Rocky Mountain Auto Show over Thanks Giving weekend at the downtown convention center Denver,Co

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Come and see The Metal Surgeon booth!
r_towle
A few long days ahead of you, good luck with the show, post up some pictures
Socalandy
Amazing work first.gif

I second the need for assembly pictures!!!
Cairo94507
smilie_pokal.gif Just simply outstanding work. I wish I could see it in person. Keep posting and building these cars.
altitude411
Absolutely beautiful. beerchug.gif Thank you for posting. I will stop by the booth and say hello if I get a chance. Nice work Doc.
The Metal Surgeon
thanks all for your comments !

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
beer.gif however I should point out this is upside down. Keep up the awesome work smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 16 2014, 11:00 AM) *

beer.gif however I should point out this is upside down. Keep up the awesome work smile.gif

agree.gif
Somehow i looked right past the awesomeness of the car and went straight to the upside down turn signal lenses.
biggrin.gif

What the hell is wrong with me?
confused24.gif
The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 16 2014, 12:34 PM) *

agree.gif
Somehow i looked right past the awesomeness of the car and went straight to the upside down turn signal lenses.
biggrin.gif

confused24.gif

that's funny and good eye thanks! ......if the customer was in upside side down under Australia,would that make a difference?! idea.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 16 2014, 03:34 PM) *

agree.gif
biggrin.gif

confused24.gif

I'm just a little too anal for my own good, but @ least I know it laugh.gif
StratPlayer
Beautiful
Rleog
The bar moves higher.

Thanks, Jon
Bulldog9
Wow.....
914Sixer
Bad Ass job !

Spoke
Beautiful.

Love the color.
bigkensteele
smilie_pokal.gif Stellar work.

I won't ask. I know that I can't afford it...
jd74914
Fantastic! I really like the rocker treatment!
Rleog
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 21 2014, 01:04 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif Stellar work.

I won't ask. I know that I can't afford it...

His shop website says $67/hr. That may be an outdated listing, but it's an incredible bargain for this caliber of work.
cary
Stunning workmanship.
Gudhjem
/sigh

This thread made me cry, it's just so damn beautiful. What an inspiration it is - can't wait to make progress on my car this weekend.

$67/hour just makes no sense for talent like this. Wow.

The work on the rocker panels is especially impressive. I figure I'm an okay welder (learned from my journeyman Dad), but fabricating those pieces is probably beyond me. I may give it a try anyway. It would be aweesome to see more detail on how you accomplished that work, how you made the curves, what tools you used, etc.

Great stuff, thanks for posting.
tdgray
Not sure how I ever missed this thread... simply incredible.

True artist... completely.

WOW blink.gif
The Metal Surgeon
thanks guys for the kind words.Yes we are $67 per hour plus materials.

We are cheaper than most and some people say we are too cheap (hope that doesn't put people off).However i am grateful people /customers are in a position to have cars restored because as we know its not cheap,so im happy at a our lower rate.
EdwardBlume
What are you doing for a front valence? Can you make 2 ? shades.gif
SixerJ
QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Nov 22 2014, 04:12 AM) *

We are cheaper than most and some people say we are too cheap (hope that doesn't put people off).However i am grateful people /customers are in a position to have cars restored because as we know its not cheap,so im happy at a our lower rate.

It's difficult to know where to pitch rates and the resulting trajectory. Yours is comparable to the guy that did my 911 who was equally skilled (a rare talent and beautiful thing to behold BTW). He was constantly busy with only restoration work, not too stressed and had 2 skilled guys helping (one of whom was principally a painter) and a part time trainee who was also in technical college doing basic stuff.

Due to the quality of the workmanship he built a fantastic reputation. 6 years down the line he's taken on more staff, has a bigger shop and has a bigger overheads / more mouths to kept fed. From what I hear and seen in the shop the rates are top dollar to keep stoking the boiler. Quality is still good, but not what it once was, there are more complaints & Terry is much much less hands on due to managing the business, staff etc

The way I see it is they are now trading partly on the past glories and sooner or later it's going to catch him out. I have already decided my -6 will not be going there, principally because I think the quality of workmanship is not worth the rate they are now charging.

I want it done right and as you say that takes 100's of hours. Personally I would rather take it somewhere where I know that when I get the call saying we have found X, do you want to do Y or Z? My 1st thought is what is the right thing to do and not that Y is 8 hours less than the other. As we all know its rare that you don't get lots of those calls and all those hours add up

If you are happy with the quantity of work coming through the door & it's the kind of work that keeps you interested every day, not totally stressed out with managing the business and the family well feed then stick with it. I think lot of highly skilled people start like you and without realise it end up in the position above, they are not really earning that much more personally & have much more hassle in their life

altitude411
These things are all true^ but at some point in everyones career they get burned out. Small business is hard work and even doing what you truly love gets tiring at some point. I ran my business for twenty five years after five year apprenticeship from my uncle. There comes a time when doing all the work becomes less gratifying and at that point teaching is the motivating factor. Then, if the teacher has done his job and the student has paid attention and the talented is there, then the student's work is elevated to the level (hopefully even beyond) the level of the teacher. This is what keeps trades like metal work and the like advancing forward. Talented tradesmen need to teach the up and comers the secrets of the trade. Most, if not all great artist have had a great mentor who has taking the time to teach his craft. The trick is making sure the student(s) have the ability to do good work before the teacher gives them full reign of the studio/shop... This is what separates the good shops from the average.

Anyway, it's fantastic to see such a talented artist (thanks for posting your work) and please take the time at some point in your career to teach the kid who shows interest and talent for the trade.... Keep posting photo's please. beerchug.gif
The Metal Surgeon
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Nov 23 2014, 02:20 AM) *

QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Nov 22 2014, 04:12 AM) *

It's difficult to know where to pitch rates and the resulting trajectory. Yours is comparable to the guy that did my 911 who was equally skilled (a rare talent and beautiful thing to behold BTW). He was constantly busy with only restoration work, not too stressed and had 2 skilled guys helping (one of whom was principally a painter) and a part time trainee who was also in technical college doing basic stuff.

Due to the quality of the workmanship he built a fantastic reputation. 6 years down the line he's taken on more staff, has a bigger shop and has a bigger overheads / more mouths to kept fed. From what I hear and seen in the shop the rates are top dollar to keep stoking the boiler. Quality is still good, but not what it once was, there are more complaints & Terry is much much less hands on due to managing the business, staff etc

The way I see it is they are now trading partly on the past glories and sooner or later it's going to catch him out. I have already decided my -6 will not be going there, principally because I think the quality of workmanship is not worth the rate they are now charging.

I want it done right and as you say that takes 100's of hours. Personally I would rather take it somewhere where I know that when I get the call saying we have found X, do you want to do Y or Z? My 1st thought is what is the right thing to do and not that Y is 8 hours less than the other. As we all know its rare that you don't get lots of those calls and all those hours add up

If you are happy with the quantity of work coming through the door & it's the kind of work that keeps you interested every day, not totally stressed out with managing the business and the family well feed then stick with it. I think lot of highly skilled people start like you and without realise it end up in the position above, they are not really earning that much more personally & have much more hassle in their life

i totally agree with you,the hard part is hiring 'skilled' staff.I have recently gone through 4 metal workers that didn't meet the standard.I wont settle for mediocre so hopefully i wont fall into the trap as you state.
Its something i am aware of and in the pursuit to find quality metal workers we are in the process of sponsoring a guy from England.The working visa takes time and he'll be with us in 11 months time out of a total 17 month process.

The Metal Surgeon
setting up for the car show @ our vendor spot.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
altitude411
I really wanted to make this show and stop by your booth to see this beautiful car & visit w/you but as fate would have it..... sad.gif

Enjoy the show, I hope there is a great turnout. The car looks fantastic under the lights! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.