Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 2.0 Original Survivor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
914Eric
The ECU is a little disappointing. Not sure what I was expecting, but I have seen lunch boxes that are better built than the cheap galvanized box the FI brain lives in.

One thing I see is that there is a strap (Ground?) just hanging. If it is a ground it must attach somewhere. Anybody???

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
That's not a ground strap. It was a loop to hold up the wiring harness. IIRC
914Eric
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Nov 28 2012, 03:33 PM) *

Probably going to look very stupid here, but what is "IIRC".

Seen this all over and am not familiar with the acronym.
dlee6204
If I Recall Correctly
euro911
I had an ECU that was rusted worse than yours ... I just sanded it down and rattle-canned it light gray.

You could probably just address the minor rust and spray it with a high-temp clear ... or have it re-plated if you really want to go that far confused24.gif

As for the bracket, bead blast and paint (or powder coat) it.

IIRC = "If I Remember Correctly", IIRC shades.gif
turk22
Eric,

where is that part number sticker, on the bottom of the ECU ?
dlkawashima

For reference. To be honest, I don't know if that is correct but that's the way it was set up when I got the car.
IPB Image
914Eric
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Nov 28 2012, 04:38 PM) *

For reference. To be honest, I don't know if that is correct but that's the way it was set up when I got the car.
IPB Image

Great picture Dave...Thanks
914Eric
QUOTE(turk22 @ Nov 28 2012, 04:31 PM) *

Eric,

where is that part number sticker, on the bottom of the ECU ?

Turk...Actually it's on the top under the bracket. Here's a better picture.

Click to view attachment
914Eric
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 28 2012, 12:55 PM) *

Actually, you should sponsor a Dr. Evil transmission clinic out west. I'm sure the resident doctor would enjoy a trip to potato land and there should be enough interest to make it worthwhile. I attended one at Scottyb's in April....well worth the money!

Bill,
Do you have any idea what is involved in such an endeavor? I do need Dr. Evil. Besides having some leaky seals...I recall the beginning of a grinding synchro in first and reverse if memory serves me.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(914Eric @ Nov 28 2012, 07:03 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 28 2012, 12:55 PM) *

Actually, you should sponsor a Dr. Evil transmission clinic out west. I'm sure the resident doctor would enjoy a trip to potato land and there should be enough interest to make it worthwhile. I attended one at Scottyb's in April....well worth the money!

Bill,
Do you have any idea what is involved in such an endeavor? I do need Dr. Evil. Besides having some leaky seals...I recall the beginning of a grinding synchro in first and reverse if memory serves me.

You might want to PM the Doc. I attended one here, and it was a blast. Dr. E is one of the most unique and enjoyable guys you will ever meet. Now that he is a practicing physician, I can't say how much time he has to do these things, but if you can get enough interested folks committed, my guess is that he will find a spot on his calendar.
Gint
QUOTE(914Eric @ Nov 28 2012, 04:36 PM) *
Probably going to look very stupid here, but what is "IIRC".

In my case IIRC means I have CRS but I'm trying man!
914Eric
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 28 2012, 08:05 PM) *

In my case IIRC means I have CRS but I'm trying man!

Gint...It's not that we can't remember, It's that after so many years, we have so much knowledge that no one brain can possibly keep track of it all.
euro911
laugh.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 28 2012, 10:37 PM) *

You might want to PM the Doc. I attended one here, and it was a blast. Dr. E is one of the most unique and enjoyable guys you will ever meet. Now that he is a practicing physician, I can't say how much time he has to do these things, but if you can get enough interested folks committed, my guess is that he will find a spot on his calendar.

PM the Doc....

If you get enough people attending and have enough food and drink I bet he would show up! laugh.gif
914Eric
I was in St. Louis from 1987-1990 building F15E. This was the plate I had during that time. That is how I lost my blue/yellow original California plate.

Click to view attachment
nathansnathan
QUOTE(914Eric @ Nov 9 2012, 09:41 AM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Nov 9 2012, 07:31 AM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Nov 9 2012, 03:12 AM) *

Don't know the the aluminum deck plate on the door and threshold was original?

It looks like there is some trim on the edge of the outside of the driver door also that would have been added.

The brushed aluminum kick plates on the doors and thresholds were added by the dealer (Greene in Norwalk Calif) as was the Porsche stripe. Since they were put on by the dealer before sale, I consider them original.

I saw a similar guard on ebay, which led me back to bowlsby's page. he identifies the brushed gaurds as being made by Haneline. They seems to be around still, making brushed stainless dash gauge plates. Interesting that they are in Idaho, too? Seems sns classics is hainline, but I can't tell for sure what is up. It looks like they make rear bumper recess and throttle plate trim also.

IPB Image

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Accessories.htm

914Eric
Well...finally got to around to the Hell Hole.

Guess it was too much to hope for that it would be perfect after 40 years. Some rust on the battery tray and a rusted out grove...not terrible though. Hell hole has a little surface rust but is structurally solid.

Since the car is in such good shape overall and I'm not going to rotisserie restore and paint the entire car right now, what is the best way to "Stabilize" the hell hole till I get to it at some point in the future?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914Eric
QUOTE(914Eric @ Dec 3 2012, 12:07 PM) *

Since I'm not going to rotisserie restore and paint the entire car right now, what is the best way to "Stabilize" the hell hole till I get to it at some point in the future?

rex66m
QUOTE(914Eric @ Dec 4 2012, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(914Eric @ Dec 3 2012, 12:07 PM) *

Since I'm not going to rotisserie restore and paint the entire car right now, what is the best way to "Stabilize" the hell hole till I get to it at some point in the future?

I am interested in the answer to this, as I have some surface rust in the hell hole, too.
nathansnathan
I would start with a screw driver. If it is solid enough/ there are no holes, I would get off what I could from the surface with physical means, then use a process with phosphoric acid, like marine clean/ metal ready, or oshpo, or ppg dx579/ dx520. Often there are 2 parts to these treatments. it's all about 'etching' with the acid to neutralize the rust.
914Eric
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 4 2012, 11:01 AM) *

I would start with a screw driver. If it is solid enough/ there are no holes, I would get off what I could from the surface with physical means, then use a process with phosphoric acid, like marine clean/ metal ready, or oshpo, or ppg dx579/ dx520. Often there are 2 parts to these treatments. it's all about 'etching' with the acid to neutralize the rust.

Nathan...Thanks.

OK...so:

Scrap and clean
Use phosphoric acid treatment.

Rust proof Primer??
Touch up paint??

Doesn't sound too difficult.
nathansnathan
I do scrape with a screwdriver, my special scraping screw driver biggrin.gif , but I was saying you should forcibly poke at the recess there to see if it will go through. You really aren't hurting it if it does go through, but if it is solid, like my 'heckhole' is, having jabbed it some, I feel better about it now, even through it is pitted.

I was thinking more along the lines of a metal brush, a welding or grill brush. I'm not a fan of wire wheels on angle grinders. You will make good metal thin that way, and tear right through marginal areas. The acid will turn the rest, convert it, encapsulate it, whatever it does, turns the pits black. The products have zinc in them, too.

Etching primer is just primer that has similar chemical actions, but not as good as doing the whole etching thing, like shampoo and conditioner in one, but can't hurt to get that kind if you're going rattle can, "etching" or 'metal' primer.

There are many levels of dealing with it, depends if the screwdriver goes through. I would poke at the front of the jack post plate that is below there, too. That can hide some nastiness sometimes. I would take a good look at the suspension console ear on that side, too.

Here's mine to give you some idea what can go first. I'll link the image, it is pretty grotesque. blink.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsi...291433480.1.jpg
Cairo94507
If that is the worst rust you have on your car you have nothing to complain about for sure. However, as clean as your chassis is I would want the hell hole addressed correctly the first time and then you are done. If you do not feel up to the challenge for whatever reason, there is surely a shop in your general proximity that someone on here can recommend that can fix that correctly and then shoot the area in the factory color so it look as nice as the rest of the car. Just my opinion, of course, but I figure I have the time and hard earned money to do it right once and I don't want to have to do it again.
914Eric
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 4 2012, 01:07 PM) *

I would want the hell hole addressed correctly the first time and then you are done.
I figure I have the time and hard earned money to do it right once and I don't want to have to do it again.

Thanks Mike for helping me keep it in perpective.

I'm going to have the engine out soon, so I will be able to poke around and get a better look. If it is only surface rust which it appears, then it will be fairly simple. If more than scrubing and phosphoric acid is required, then I'll have to see.

Even though I'm not going all the way to rotisserie right now because it isn't needed, (AND I CAN'T WAIT TO START DRIVING IT) hissyfit.gif I still plan on doing everything right the first time.

So if anyone sees me doing anything less than perfect, they have my permission to ar15.gif or chair.gif

I've been fixing and rebuilding my own race/dirt bikes since I was 12, so I'm pretty good with a wrench, but when it comes to bodywork...not so much. I have seen just about every episode of Overhaulin', so how hard can it be. wink.gif

Thanks for all the help.
rnellums
When you have the engine out is the best time to get the repair done! I found a similar area to that (perhaps slightly worse) on mine last year during the winter and had a new engine shelf and battery holder welded in and had the area painted for less than 700. If that's the biggest rust spot on the car, and you don't plan to rotisserie it, I'd say get it taken care of properly.
pete000
Mine looked like that, once you clean it up you might be surprised that it is not too bad. Once I gave it a good cleaning I used some POR 15 and it is all good.

Optima sealed battery will prevent this from ever happening again.

Get in there and clean it up and see what you have under the grunge. Hopefully its solid.

beerchug.gif
McMark
Learn something new every day. That accelerator strap is actually in the PET parts diagrams, PN 999.706.005.80 (suspension strap). It's listed only as for 914 2.0 though, which is interesting.

#71 in the diagram below
Chris H.
QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 5 2012, 12:11 PM) *

Mine looked like that, once you clean it up you might be surprised that it is not too bad. Once I gave it a good cleaning I used some POR 15 and it is all good.

Optima sealed battery will prevent this from ever happening again.

Get in there and clean it up and see what you have under the grunge. Hopefully its solid.

beerchug.gif

I totally agree...had some very scary looking rust in my engine bay when I got the car, turned out to be surface only and ground right off. Gone... POR 15'd it, replaced the tray, all good. From 2000 miles away that hell hole looks like it's nothing major.
914Eric
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 5 2012, 10:30 AM) *

Learn something new every day. That accelerator strap is actually in the PET parts diagrams, PN 999.706.005.80 (suspension strap). It's listed only as for 914 2.0 though, which is interesting.

#71 in the diagram below

Mark,
Do you think that is the strap that is hanging from my ECU? Or one mounted somewhere else?

It appears from the diagram that the strap is actually for the accelerator cable and not the ECU strap as Dave Kawashima showed in the picture on the prior page of my thread?

The PET parts list also showed the same part for the 914-6.
914Eric
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Nov 28 2012, 04:38 PM) *

IPB Image

Using Dave's picture, and the parts diagram from Mark, definitely seems to be a throttle cable support strap. idea.gif
914Eric
OK...Exhaust is off. Anybody know what it is? I do remember it had a pretty nice sound.

I looked at it closely and couldn't find any name or markings.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

McMark
Monza. barf.gif

I say toss it off a cliff. wink.gif
914Eric
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 5 2012, 03:08 PM) *

Monza. barf.gif

OK...so dad bought a crappy exhaust. I looked up Bursch on their website and found this:

• BX 1421 - Street
• BX 1422 - Comb.
• BX 1423 - Quiet Street
• BX 1424 - Quiet Comb.

Which one do I want? What is the difference between street and comb? What is combo? What is the difference between Street and Quiet street?
bigkensteele
QUOTE(914Eric @ Dec 5 2012, 05:20 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 5 2012, 03:08 PM) *

Monza. barf.gif

OK...so dad bought a crappy exhaust. I looked up Bursch on their website and found this:

• BX 1421 - Street
• BX 1422 - Comb.
• BX 1423 - Quiet Street
• BX 1424 - Quiet Comb.

Which one do I want? What is the difference between street and comb? What is combo? What is the difference between Street and Quiet street?

I have a Bursch, and I don't care for it. 50% of the paint will be gone after your first long drive, and it is pretty loud. In fairness, I don't recall which one I have, as I bought it many years ago, but only installed it last year.

If I had to do it over again, I would buy a Triad. They are well-built and get great reviews here. However, they are a dual tip - one tip in the factory spot, and for the other tip, you will need to modify your valence.

If I had your car, I would look for a used factory muffler in good shape or shell out for a Dansk replacement, which is the most original currently on the market.
silver74insocal
dont forget the triad option, those things sound awesome!

the best sounding 4 i have ever heard: Ceaser's (phat nine11 on here) stainless heat exchangers and a banana sport muffler (dansk i think? ) it makes me drool everytime
Gint
Dave will make you a single tip Triad.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 5 2012, 08:21 PM) *

Dave will make you a single yip Triad.

Who would want a single YIP muffler? poke.gif
turk22
This one is closer to stock. and closer to $600....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-2-0-73...ies&vxp=mtr
euro911
This is what the Triad dual outlet looks like ... (I painted mine though)

Click to view attachment

It is a bit loud, but it does sound sweet.

I think new ones go for around $350 or so these days confused24.gif
Gint
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 5 2012, 09:26 PM) *
Dave will make you a single yip Triad.
Who would want a single YIP muffler? poke.gif

smile.gif

QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 5 2012, 09:39 PM) *
This is what the Triad dual outlet looks like ...

It is a bit loud, but it does sound sweet.

I think new ones go for around $350 or so these days confused24.gif

No louder than a bursch IMO. Maybe quieter even. And a much better sound.
914Eric
QUOTE(turk22 @ Dec 5 2012, 08:30 PM) *

This one is closer to stock. and closer to $600....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-2-0-73...ies&vxp=mtr

This Dansk looks very much like the stock exhaust; Which I still have. Perhaps internally it is different to give a better sound.

Click to view attachment
914Eric

Dave will make you a single tip Triad.

That is an interesting thought. I don't want to change or cut the rear panel/valance, so that might be an option.

That might kill the sound that everybody likes out of the dual tips though.

confused24.gif
euro911
QUOTE(914Eric @ Dec 5 2012, 08:44 PM) *
This Dansk looks very much like the stock exhaust; Which I still have. Perhaps internally it is different to give a better sound.
Click to view attachment
If you already have a OEM banana muffler mueba.gif , use it.
914Eric
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 5 2012, 08:53 PM) *

I do have it. I'll post a pic tomorrow.
Gint
We know what they look like. laugh.gif

I had one on mine for a while. I like the sound of the stock muffler. Too quiet on decel though. For me anyway... I like more burble.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 5 2012, 08:53 PM) *

QUOTE(914Eric @ Dec 5 2012, 08:44 PM) *
Click to view attachment

agree.gif As I recall, the stock muffler is right up at the top as far as flow and performance. If you still have it, it is probably your best bet as far as performance and sound. You might want to think about having it acid dipped and then ceramic coated. That muffler is worth some money these days, and even if it is not what you want to put back on the car, it is still worth nice money to an ever-growing group of folks who are restoring these cars.
McMark
Stock is my #1 choice. Triad is a close #2.
oldschool
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 5 2012, 08:08 PM) *

dont forget the triad option, those things sound awesome!

the best sounding 4 i have ever heard: Ceaser's (phat nine11 on here) stainless heat exchangers and a banana sport muffler (dansk i think? ) it makes me drool everytime

agree.gif piratenanner.gif
AndyB
I am partial to my Tangerine Evo IV silencer. If you haven't heard one in person then you are missing out. Yes I have heat since it does get cold up here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.