Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Taillights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Spoke
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Mar 11 2014, 04:37 PM) *

So these are brake lights only at this time? Turn signals upcoming, or can we buy two sets of these and convert all at once?

The board itself can be used as a brake or turnsignal as shown below.

I did this with the high power LED boards on my car. The brake PCB uses red LEDs whereas the turnsignal PCB uses amber LEDs to match the Euro amber turnsignal lenses. Same PCB, different LEDs. The turnsignal PCB also has side emitting LEDs to give light for the side marker.

The rev 2 5mm PCBs also have provision for side LEDs and should be a lot brighter than the side emitting LEDs I used on my car. These can be used for turnsignals too.

For Euro lens with amber turnsignal lens, I've ordered some amber 5mm LEDs in the Cree family and will build a couple of these to see how bright they are. If ok, I can offer those as well. I need to test them first.

For US lens with red turnsignal lens, red LEDs would be used for turnsignals. This would be just a build option as the bulb bases would be different than the brakes.

I want to take this a step further and make one board for both brake and turnsignal. This requires a lot of engineering to make sure it works. The existing inner housing would have to be cut out and other means of fastening the boards to be found.

The angle of the board would have to be the same as below so the brake portion would sit very deep in the housing. A divider would have to be included to keep the brake light from bleeding into the turnsignal light and visa versa. McMark is sending me a spare housing that I can experiment with.

r_towle
Should I bring some cash to Hershey for a full set of euro tai lights this year?

Rich
Spoke
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 12 2014, 10:06 PM) *

Should I bring some cash to Hershey for a full set of euro tai lights this year?

Rich

Quite possibly, the timing is right; will have PCBs in 2 weeks. I gotta test the amber turnsignal LEDs first.

I did the amber turnsignal for my car with the high power LEDs and initially thought they weren't bright enough so I increased the current from 35ma for the red LEDs to 75ma for the amber LEDs. Whoa, the amber LEDs are way too bright at 75ma. They're blindingly bright. 35ma may have been ok.

Got to see the 5mm amber LEDs before making them available.

I need to get a good lux meter. Anyone have a suggestion for a good, affordable lux meter?
r_towle
No kidding, there is an app for that

Go to the apple app store or the droid google play store.

rich
Zimms
If you need another tail light housing, I think I have one I can donate to the cause. I'll check later today.
effutuo101
biggrin.gif
I would prefer a longer board to handle both brake, running and turn.
saw some cool ones for the Mercedes G class on wheeler dealer last night.
monkeyboy
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 12 2014, 03:00 PM) *

QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Mar 11 2014, 04:37 PM) *

So these are brake lights only at this time? Turn signals upcoming, or can we buy two sets of these and convert all at once?

The board itself can be used as a brake or turnsignal as shown below.

I did this with the high power LED boards on my car. The brake PCB uses red LEDs whereas the turnsignal PCB uses amber LEDs to match the Euro amber turnsignal lenses. Same PCB, different LEDs. The turnsignal PCB also has side emitting LEDs to give light for the side marker.

The rev 2 5mm PCBs also have provision for side LEDs and should be a lot brighter than the side emitting LEDs I used on my car. These can be used for turnsignals too.

For Euro lens with amber turnsignal lens, I've ordered some amber 5mm LEDs in the Cree family and will build a couple of these to see how bright they are. If ok, I can offer those as well. I need to test them first.

For US lens with red turnsignal lens, red LEDs would be used for turnsignals. This would be just a build option as the bulb bases would be different than the brakes.

I want to take this a step further and make one board for both brake and turnsignal. This requires a lot of engineering to make sure it works. The existing inner housing would have to be cut out and other means of fastening the boards to be found.

The angle of the board would have to be the same as below so the brake portion would sit very deep in the housing. A divider would have to be included to keep the brake light from bleeding into the turnsignal light and visa versa. McMark is sending me a spare housing that I can experiment with.

I want a set of US Brake and turn signals, but I am happy with them just the way they are. I do not want to modify the housings or cut anything.

They honestly look great to me, and it's reversible if you every want to.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 12 2014, 10:34 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 12 2014, 10:06 PM) *

Rich

Quite possibly, the timing is right; will have PCBs in 2 weeks. I gotta test the amber turnsignal LEDs first.

I would be down for a set also! aktion035.gif
cary
I'm in for a set.
clapeza
I'm in for a full set, brakes and US spec turn signals, once they're available.
CptTripps
You know I'm in for a set. Not sure what I was planning will work, so this is an awesome backup.

Well done!
rnellums
I would like a set!
JRust
I'd like a set of both. Euro & US versions. I like the separate boards for each. Thanks for doing this. Glad to see it coming to fruition piratenanner.gif
Spoke
This video and pic are with the 5mm rev 1 board with the Cree LEDs. These are the LEDs which will be on the rev 2 boards. This board has 51 LEDs whereas the rev 2 boards will have 56 LEDs.

The light output is quite good with good dispersion. Like many LEDs, the light is very directional. This is why it is important for the board to be mounted 90 degrees from the centerline of the car. We want all this light pointed directly at cars behind.

The first couple of blinks are the brake lights. The last flash are the taillights. The car is about 6 feet from the garage door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gewM-W8bQ9M

Here's a pic of the taillights from behind the car. That's also an amber LED board on the left side with the LED taillight.

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Looks great. I want a set of brakes and us spec turns signals. Happy with them just as they are as separate boards also, I don't need them on one board.
Spoke
Rev 2 boards have been shipped from the fab house. I should have them by midweek. Also ordered all components and empty bulb bases. Assembly should start by next weekend. smash.gif stirthepot.gif beer3.gif blowtorch.gif

I rigged the 5mm rev 1 board to my 930 to see how much improvement in light output over the standard bulb. Board didn't fit so I aimed it as close as possible to the rear of the car and put the taillight lens in front of it.

Looks like a good improvement over the 1157 bulb in the 930. If you have sound on you can hear the 930 idling. Sounds much better in person. smile.gif

I think I'll use the same 56 5mm LED pattern like the rev 2 boards for the 911. Gotta figure out a way to secure the board in the 911 brake housing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPmOGq8RjH8

rnellums
I am in for a full US spec set!
kid914
I must have missed the price....?
looks very tho smile.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(kid914 @ Mar 22 2014, 10:22 PM) *

I must have missed the price....?
looks very tho smile.gif

$90 + shipping.

Update: more materials arrived.

BAY15D are for the brake light.
BAY15S and BAY9S for the turnsignal.

r_towle
Will I need to modify the turn signal housing?
I never heard your conclusions on that....
Spoke
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 23 2014, 03:23 PM) *

Will I need to modify the turn signal housing?
I never heard your conclusions on that....

The goal is to not make any modifications to the housing. I have a solution now but not real happy with it.

You can see below that the inside uses 2 clips on the divider and secures the board well to the divider like the brake light.

Unlike the brake light, there is nothing but open space on the outside of the turnsignal light. So I've got a clip going to the indentation in the reflector for the side light but the clip is long and does not give good up and down stability.

I've made the rev 2 board a bit taller so it may fit more snugly top-bottom than the rev 1 high power LED board shown here and maybe this type of clip will be ok. I'll know better when I get the rev 2 boards in hand.

If anyone has ideas on how to secure the outside of the turnsignal boards I'm all ears.
r_towle
Describe the problem with pics....you might get some ideas.
For me, I cannot figure out what you are talking about yet smile.gif
Spoke
Here's more of a close-up of the clip.

The clip connects to the reflector and is about 1.5 inches to the PCB. OK support horizontal but allows quite a bit of movement up and down.
db9146
Would it be possible to use a couple of small "v"-shaped spring clips at the top and bottom of the boards to hold them in place vertically? If you lay the clips on their side like wedges, it seems that might do the trick and still not require permanent modification to the housing.
7TPorsh
how about some small rubber pads or bumpers on the top and bottom...weather seal?
CptTripps
What about a triangle with 2 small bends. Two holes would mount to the bucket, the other to the board.

Like this...
JmuRiz
Now you're talkin' I like that bracket idea.
Spoke
QUOTE(db9146 @ Mar 23 2014, 10:41 PM) *

Would it be possible to use a couple of small "v"-shaped spring clips at the top and bottom of the boards to hold them in place vertically? If you lay the clips on their side like wedges, it seems that might do the trick and still not require permanent modification to the housing.

Interesting idea. Something similar to this is used on recessed lighting rings. I didn't think about securing on the edges.

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 24 2014, 02:05 PM) *

how about some small rubber pads or bumpers on the top and bottom...weather seal?

A rubber dot with a slot to hold the board in it would work. Although I made the rev 2 boards with literally zero play on the top and bottom. Like db's above, I like the idea of edge securing.

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Mar 24 2014, 02:17 PM) *

What about a triangle with 2 small bends. Two holes would mount to the bucket, the other to the board.

This looks like it would work. One thing though, what about the side lens that is missing on my housing? Are those glued in or just sitting in the slot?
CptTripps
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 24 2014, 10:20 PM) *

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Mar 24 2014, 02:17 PM) *

This looks like it would work. One thing though, what about the side lens that is missing on my housing? Are those glued in or just sitting in the slot?

I'll look tonight, but you could likely make a shield with a small piece of plastic. Another thought would be to have a few LEDs on the triangle piece, so the side of the light would illuminate as well. Really there's no down-side to having extra lighting on the side to show that you're turning. biggrin.gif
Spoke
Waiting for the brake PCBs to be delivered..Tomorrow smile.gif

Just can't stop drawing pictures. Wonder where this one goes?

The white LEDs will blank out when the Amber LEDs flash.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

CptTripps
Now you're talking....

Love it!

You could also do a version with the top half in yellow and the bottom in white. Like the "Euro" lenses...without the need for the lens.
Cairo94507
Excellent! I can see that my car will be all LED equipped when the time comes. On the fronts will you do a version for the euro lens too?
JmuRiz
Re: Front turns...
Like the others said...if you make a euro style with the bottom running light white and on when parking lights and headlights are on...and the flasher above, it would be perfect!

I'm excited about the front/back LED lights, they are the way to go to be seen.

I still need to order some 356 ones, then I'll order your 914 ones when I put my car back together!
Chris H.
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 25 2014, 10:06 PM) *

Waiting for the brake PCBs to be delivered..Tomorrow smile.gif

Just can't stop drawing pictures. Wonder where this one goes?

The white LEDs will blank out when the Amber LEDs flash.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Always on running lights in white around the outer part?
Spoke
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 26 2014, 10:33 AM) *

Always on running lights in white around the outer part?

That's what I would like to do with the lights. This would give the 914 a cool oval running light signature.

When turn signals are on, these would blank out until the turnsignals go off.

Boards are in. Let the fun begin. beerchug.gif

porsche_dreamer
Cant wait to see these! WANT!
timothy_nd28
Very impressive aktion035.gif Which board factory did you use?
Spoke
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Mar 26 2014, 05:46 PM) *

Thanks.

We use Sierra Circuits quite a bit. Quick turns and longer at reasonable prices.

Had a chance to build one light tonight. I did an amber turnsignal to see how it looks. No pics right now.

Power dissipation is exactly what I expected. Temp rise is very manageable at about 25C.
ThePaintedMan
The 911 guys are going to start hating us when these puppies start rolling out. Very thankful to have someone as talented as you Spoke (and Tim, Rick, Scotty, Joe, Mark, Chris, etc... the list goes on and on) - this stuff boggles my mind.
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 26 2014, 03:03 PM) *

Thanks.

We use Sierra Circuits quite a bit. Quick turns and longer at reasonable prices.

Had a chance to build one light tonight. I did an amber turnsignal to see how it looks. No pics right now.

Power dissipation is exactly what I expected. Temp rise is very manageable at about 25C.

Thanks, I might give Sierra Circuits a try. I've been messing around with a prototype tachometer board that will replace the old tired control.
Spoke
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Mar 26 2014, 08:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 26 2014, 03:03 PM) *

Thanks.

Thanks, I might give Sierra Circuits a try. I've been messing around with a prototype tachometer board that will replace the old tired control.

Sierra is good if you have a quantity of boards to make otherwise it is expensive for just a couple of boards.

If you want to do a couple of boards, try Osh Park. I used them for my prototype LED boards. Very reasonable for small quantities.

I built a small board (1 inch x 0.5 inch) for a 914world member and it was only a couple of dollars for 3 boards. They get small orders like this and my LED taillights and assemble enough to make a panel then go to fab. Turn around time was like 2 weeks.
timothy_nd28
I used International Circuits for my last production run, great company but they whack you for doing anything less than 100 boards. I'll try Osh Park for my first 5 boards. Any idea where to source an air core movement motor? You would think these would be easy to find blink.gif
smj
Spoke, given that you're still testing some variant builds and such, might make sense to start a new thread when you've locked it down and are ready for orders.

Just a thought, and apologies if it's already been suggested/stated. wink.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(smj @ Mar 26 2014, 11:26 PM) *

Spoke, given that you're still testing some variant builds and such, might make sense to start a new thread when you've locked it down and are ready for orders.

Just a thought, and apologies if it's already been suggested/stated. wink.gif

Good idea. I think I will do that for the next batch. I believe enough folks have stepped up for this batch of 50 boards such that all boards are accounted for. The next will be a group buy as I buy the boards in quantity.

I'm building these boards one at a time so I can't fill all orders at once. I will contact each person in the order of when they asked for a set.

I'm working with CptTripps for the securing clips so I sent a full 4-board set to him to work with:

Click to view attachment

I have 4 sets of brake lights assembled and tested. Need to add the bulb bases and securing clips. These likely will be ready for shipment this weekend. I will contact guys who already responded to this thread for interest in brake lights.

Click to view attachment
CptTripps
I JUST got notification that they're at my UPS box, so I'll try to dig into it tonight. As soon as I can figure out the right sizing for the triangle clip piece, I'll make a few up and send them your way to ship with the orders.

May take me a day or so...but I'll get to it.
CptTripps
I believe I figured out a solution.

Using some old copper I had, I crafted a piece to go up from one of the clips, and into the hole on the board. This SHOULD do the trick.

Spoke: Before I power this up, is there an issue with this piece being grounded?
ClayPerrine
I don't know if you thought of this, but will the stock turn signal flasher unit on a 914 receive enough current to run the flasher when you use LEDs in the turn signal units?

I know the early cars with two turn signal indicators were designed to flash the indicators once then dim them if you have a bulb out on that side. You may end up with the indicators not working if the LED boards don't provide enough load.

Just thinking......

ClayPerrine
Another thought....

How about an LED setup to go inside the chrome strip on the back of the targa band for a third brake light? Just cut a slot and put in a clear lens and use red LEDs. It is right at eye level for most cars, and you could run it the width of the car. They are sure to see that brake light!

You build that one and I want to be the first in line to buy it!

CptTripps
These should be the right voltage without modification. Spoke is pretty adept at that stuff. I believe his idea is to make direct replacements for the OEM locations...not invent new ones.

That being said, I'm going to be modifying my chrome strip to have about 6 red LEDs in it for a 3rd light.
Cairo94507
A high mount LED 3rd brake light is in my build sheet with Scotty. It will install in the chrome strip and I am hoping to find a suitable unit that is approximately 10-12" in length with a clear lens so it is basically invisible until illuminated. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for a high quality unit please send me a message.

OK back to your regularly scheduled program biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.