Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Taillights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Spoke
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 1 2014, 06:30 PM) *

I believe I figured out a solution.

Using some old copper I had, I crafted a piece to go up from one of the clips, and into the hole on the board. This SHOULD do the trick.

Spoke: Before I power this up, is there an issue with this piece being grounded?

I like it! What is that plastic piece that secures the bottom of the clip? I saw those on my housing but didn't investigate.

The thin clip won't give much up and down stability but I think the PCB is pretty tight in the housing so there should be little up/down movement.

No worries about shorting out at the hole locations. As long as nothing touches the LED leads you'll be ok. Let me know how these look when you power them.
Spoke
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 1 2014, 06:55 PM) *

I don't know if you thought of this, but will the stock turn signal flasher unit on a 914 receive enough current to run the flasher when you use LEDs in the turn signal units?

I know the early cars with two turn signal indicators were designed to flash the indicators once then dim them if you have a bulb out on that side. You may end up with the indicators not working if the LED boards don't provide enough load.

Just thinking......

Good point. If the lighter load of the LED lights causes the flasher to stop then one will have to add a resistive load or change to an LED-compatible flasher.

Mine works fine with the LED lights but YMMV.
Spoke
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 1 2014, 06:57 PM) *

Another thought....

How about an LED setup to go inside the chrome strip on the back of the targa band for a third brake light? Just cut a slot and put in a clear lens and use red LEDs. It is right at eye level for most cars, and you could run it the width of the car. They are sure to see that brake light!

You build that one and I want to be the first in line to buy it!

I hope that someone comes up with a great solution for the 3rd brake light. The 914 really needs one of these.

This one isn't on my radar right now. As you point out, there's probably more mechanical modifications needed than electrical. There's all kinds of strip LEDs out there that would work well. The key to this one is to cut a slot in the chrome, put a clear lens on it and mount the LED strip behind it.

914Mike
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 3 2014, 07:31 AM) *

Glad you got them lit up. I remembered that I didn't mention how to install the bulb bases in the sockets. They can be tricky. I've gotten so used to them cause I've installed and removed these a hundred times.

The trick is to put your finger in the socket like in the pic. This will give enough pressure and friction to install.

That works. A better way is to take a stiff wire, like a big paper clip and form it into a squared off U shape, then solder it to the insides of the bayonet tube to make a handle...
914Mike
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 1 2014, 03:55 PM) *

I don't know if you thought of this, but will the stock turn signal flasher unit on a 914 receive enough current to run the flasher when you use LEDs in the turn signal units?

I know the early cars with two turn signal indicators were designed to flash the indicators once then dim them if you have a bulb out on that side. You may end up with the indicators not working if the LED boards don't provide enough load.

Just thinking......

Clay;

I've had to take an old 4-pin flasher apart to re-use the base. First you figure out which pins are what with the old one, then you look at one of the new LED types and match the pins. They will have +, -, and L for light marked on them. By stacking the old base under the new one you can solder the pins together and then jumper the right pin over to the extra dash light pin on your old base. I seem to remember it was the ground that got my dash lights working, but I could be off on that...

I think this is the one that works, all except for the dash light/s:

eBay item number:
CF-13 GL-02

FYI, a CF-13 JL-02 is the same circuit with the + an - terminals switched. I got that one to work by taking the cover off and rewiring it to what I needed. They are about half of the $ compared to the one above right now...
PThompson509
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 1 2014, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 1 2014, 06:57 PM) *

Another thought....

How about an LED setup to go inside the chrome strip on the back of the targa band for a third brake light? Just cut a slot and put in a clear lens and use red LEDs. It is right at eye level for most cars, and you could run it the width of the car. They are sure to see that brake light!

You build that one and I want to be the first in line to buy it!

I hope that someone comes up with a great solution for the 3rd brake light. The 914 really needs one of these.

This one isn't on my radar right now. As you point out, there's probably more mechanical modifications needed than electrical. There's all kinds of strip LEDs out there that would work well. The key to this one is to cut a slot in the chrome, put a clear lens on it and mount the LED strip behind it.

I just added some pre-taped side-emitting LEDs under the chrome. The strip is water proof, and has stuck there for about 2 years now with no sign of failure.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/side-em...ve%29,135,4568:

Cheers! Peter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.