914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
SharonG
This is the hotel info:

Best Western Mountain Shadows
3255 Main Avenue
Durango, CO 81301
(970) 247-5200
This hotel is 1/2 block south of Caboose.
$119 with AAA discount - I didn't reserve a block of rooms - the quote they gave me a few weeks ago seemed higher than reserving online

Caboose Motel - SOLD OUT
3363 Main Ave, Durango, CO ‎
(970) 247-1191
caboosemoteldurango.com

Event Schedule:
Click to view attachment

Friday, September 6:

• Arrive at hotel and hang out until it’s time for the BBQ – Mike said you can head to his house and expect a cold beverage any time after 3pm.
• 5:00pm: BBQ at Mike and Mary Moorman’s - see attachment for map.
• 10pm: BBQ complete – continue festivities at motel parking lot. THANKS MIKE AND MARY!!!

Saturday, September 7:
• 9:14am: Gather at photo op location near Mike Moorman’s place. I’ll hand out lunches to folks who asked for the lunch option. See attachment for map.
• 10am: Leave for drive
• Stop at Silverton
• Stop at Ouray overlook
• 1pm: Stop in Telluride for lunch and sightseeing (map in attachment) – there are no defined plans so do whatever you want. The gondola is free. There are shops in town. It looks like there are several good lunch options if you’d rather grab lunch in Telluride. Disclaimer: I’m not bailing anyone out of jail.
• 3pm: Drive out of parking lot to continue counterclockwise drive
• Stop at Lizard Head Pass
• Stop at Priest Gulch Campground (snack and pit stop)
• Arrive at Hotel
• 7:30pm: Dinner at Dalton Ranch Golf Club (map in attachment)
• After Dinner: Continue hootin’, hollerin’ and shenanigans at the motel parking lot

Sunday, September 8:
• Depart Durango and head for next adventure (make your own darn breakfast plans! )

Dinner is $25 and if you want a picnic lunch (sandwich, chips, fruit, veggies, dessert) it's $10. You can give me cash or a check at the event, or paypal me gintersm@yahoo.com.

T-shirts - design by Eric Lowe - t-shirts are ordered! smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Awards by Jason Luurs (thanks Jason!!!)

ATTENDEE LIST - please let me know if you are joining and not on the list, or bringing someone with so we plan for enough folks for lunch / dinner:

SharonG + Gint
MoveQik
AZ914 + Becky
Ferg - out
Michael7810
Socalandy + Karen - out
Danny + Mrs. Danny - out
Eric Shea (+ fam?)
jsconst
EllYut
Kansas 914 + Mrs. 914
VegasRacer
brant
Sleepin + Val
mrbubblehead
ThinAir + Mike
Nacho + sixnotfour
hotshoe914
ejm
Jen Morrow
rnellums
jim hoyland
Travis Neff - out
1stworks
dave29 + Lisa
JRust - out
Pieper + Diane
SLITS
Toast

SEE YOU THERE!!! biggrin.gif
MoveQik
Room is booked. beerchug.gif
michael7810
Hotel booked
Ferg
Can I bring the AssDragger ? ph34r.gif
Socalandy
Now I have to finish my car!!! Room booked unsure.gif smash.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jun 18 2013, 02:00 PM) *

No I have to finish my car!!! Room booked unsure.gif smash.gif

Go go Andy! Poor Wills, there goes "best in show" av-943.gif
shelby/914
Reservation made, but it sounded like trailer parking may be some what of a bear as the truck and trailer will have be unhooked and parked separately. Has anyone actually seen the facility layout?
AZ914
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 18 2013, 03:04 PM) *

Now he can't even win 'Best Narrow-Body Yellow Six' any longer... beer.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(shelby/914 @ Jun 18 2013, 05:06 PM) *

Reservation made, but it sounded like trailer parking may be some what of a bear as the truck and trailer will have be unhooked and parked separately. Has anyone actually seen the facility layout?

Go to google street view and drive around the block. There is a big parking lot next to the motel.

I will book when I get back from Nashville.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 18 2013, 02:35 PM) *

Can I bring the AssDragger ? ph34r.gif

Yes No Miata
MoveQik
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Jun 18 2013, 03:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 18 2013, 03:04 PM) *

Now he can't even win 'Best Narrow-Body Yellow Six' any longer... beer.gif

You guys are fools! You KNOW the award everyone wants is "Best Mildly Flared Yellow '75 3.2". All the other awards are just 2nd place. willis.gif
sixnotfour
chiwawa in a yellow OG -6 first.gif
shelby/914
Go to google street view and drive around the block. There is a big parking lot next to the motel.

I ask about it, she said it does not belong to the motel. Didn't say we couldn't use it, but didn't say we could. Clerk seemed a bit surprised that people might be trailering in some of the cars. Longest trip yet in mine since putting it back together has been about 80 miles and I don't think the wife would like the noise and no a/c for a day. She would rather ride n the truck. You know what they say, happy wife happy life.

Dan
MoveQik
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 18 2013, 03:43 PM) *

chiwawa in a yellow OG -6 first.gif

If you can't spell the dog's breed correctly, you can't win the award. shades.gif
sixnotfour
chiwawa=Nacho
Eric_Shea
Booked - There goes the neighborhood. sheeplove.gif
Eric_Shea
chiwawa

Oh brother... thank God he can wrench on shit. rolleyes.gif
Mike Bellis
Thinking about it... idea.gif

1046 miles is a long way to go... sad.gif
SharonG
QUOTE(shelby/914 @ Jun 18 2013, 04:48 PM) *

I ask about it, she said it does not belong to the motel. Didn't say we couldn't use it, but didn't say we could. Clerk seemed a bit surprised that people might be trailering in some of the cars. Longest trip yet in mine since putting it back together has been about 80 miles and I don't think the wife would like the noise and no a/c for a day. She would rather ride n the truck. You know what they say, happy wife happy life.

Dan

Sorry Danny, I didn't even think about parking for trailers. sad.gif I'll see if there's a location close where trailers can be parked.
JStroud
Room booked. driving.gif

Jeff
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 18 2013, 07:01 PM) *

Not really, I drove that each way to get to Hershey.
Eric_Shea
See you there then Donald?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 18 2013, 08:10 PM) *

Let me add... 1046 miles is a long way to go... through the desert....
JStroud
Ah come one Mike, you know you want to. driving.gif

I'm driving to Albuquerque, then Atlanta TX, then back to Albuquerque, then Durango, then home.
Then three days after getting home I'm driving to Wyoming for antelope season.

You can do it. driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

Jeff
Elliot Cannon
I'm going to try to be there and if I am I won't be trailering my car. Sheesh! Some people!! happy11.gif poke.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 18 2013, 10:37 PM) *

I'm going to try to be there and if I am I won't be trailering my car. Sheesh! Some people!! happy11.gif poke.gif

Add a couple of hours to your drive and come here on Wednesday or Thursday. We'll BBQ some tofu and then head up together from here. driving.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 18 2013, 10:06 PM) *

Add a couple of hours to your drive and come here on Wednesday or Thursday. We'll BBQ some tofu and then head up together from here. driving.gif

Elliot is usually there the week before and gone before the event starts. That way he doesn't have to deal with the asshats... blink.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 18 2013, 11:52 PM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 18 2013, 10:06 PM) *

Elliot is usually there the week before and gone before the event starts. That way he doesn't have to deal with the asshats... blink.gif

Fair enough. And a rock solid strategy. beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
Rooms are cheaper too! I called about the week before and she said $59.00. I said "why the difference?" And she sad "the lady asked for a special price for her Porsche group so, I gave it to her". ohmy.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 18 2013, 10:53 PM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 18 2013, 08:10 PM) *

Let me add... 1046 miles is a long way to go... through the desert....

Whimp poke.gif How about 1405 one way. driving.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 19 2013, 07:25 AM) *

Whimp poke.gif How about 1405 one way. driving.gif

Sounds like Rick is going for the long distance award... Any challengers?

What is the prize for shortest drive to the event? biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
How far is the airport in Durango to the Caboose Motel ?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 19 2013, 07:55 AM) *

About 30 minutes.
Eric_Shea
Sounds like Rick is going for the long distance award... Any challengers?

I'll be leaving from Cleveland tomorrow afternoon going through Eaton Rapids, MI - Traverse City - Des Moines - Cheyenne - Salt Lake City and finally ending up in Durango on the 6th. Pretty sure I've got that silly 1400 mile thing sussed! tongue.gif
brant
I just got back from Laguna secs at 3000 miles round trip all while towing at around 10mpg
VegasRacer
Room booked. boldblue.gif I will be there in some sort of mid-engine machine.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 19 2013, 06:57 AM) *

About 30 minutes.

Thanks. What kind of ground transport is available ? I'm thinking of going a day or two early and leave Sunday
Kansas 914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 19 2013, 04:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 19 2013, 06:57 AM) *

About 30 minutes.

Thanks. What kind of ground transport is available ? I'm thinking of going a day or two early and leave Sunday

Jim,

I use Buckhorn Limo. Cheaper than a taxi. About $40 to the hotel
SharonG
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 19 2013, 07:12 AM) *

Rooms are cheaper too! I called about the week before and she said $59.00. I said "why the difference?" And she sad "the lady asked for a special price for her Porsche group so, I gave it to her". ohmy.gif

What? Are you trying to confuse me on purpose, Eric? blink.gif
brant
reservation made
mrbubblehead
we are seriously thinking about making this trip. is there a flier or website i can check out for more info? i have been on many out of state vw road trips/ shows but those are mostly weekend camp outs/ swap meets. how do these work?

driving.gif
AZ914
Mrbubble...
I'll let Sharon give you the official details, but the RRC is usually a loose, fun, get-together. We usually all roll in on Friday sometime, do a BBQ at the hotel parking lot, sip some adult beverages, shoot the sh*t, etc. Saturday morning, get going on our drive, have lunch about half way, do a little show & shine, continue the drive, chill a bit, then have a dinner/banquet. More parking lot festivities... Sunday morning, maybe some breakfast but people start heading out.
SharonG
Event info updated in 1st post.

Excellent news Amigos! Mike and Mary Moorman are hosting the Friday dinner! They live approximately 7 miles north of the hotel. We were thinking about renting a shuttle depending on interest. Let me know if you'd do the shuttle thing if it was available.

Mrbubblehead:
Jason (AZ914) did an excellent job outlining the event action plan. All the event info will eventually be listed in the 1st thread. The RRC planning team is still ironing out the details. There may be a different thread to order t-shirts once a design has been established, but there will be a link to the ordering thread at the beginning of this thread when it's available.
brant
QUOTE(SharonG @ Jun 20 2013, 10:16 AM) *

Event info updated in 1st post.

Excellent news Amigos! Mike and Mary Moorman are hosting the Friday dinner! They live approximately 7 miles north of the hotel. We were thinking about renting a shuttle depending on interest. Let me know if you'd do the shuttle thing if it was available.

Mrbubblehead:
Jason (AZ914) did an excellent job outlining the event action plan. All the event info will eventually be listed in the 1st thread. The RRC planning team is still ironing out the details. There may be a different thread to order t-shirts once a design has been established, but there will be a link to the ordering thread at the beginning of this thread when it's available.

Him definitely in for the shuttle
mrbubblehead
i wonder if there is any camping close to the event. you can take the boy out of a vw but you cant take the vw out of the boy, i guess. budgets gonna be tight.
AZ914
Bubble.. I have camped at a place called 'United Campground' just north on the 550 from the host hotel. (I just googled it.. 2 miles north) The narrow-gauge railroad goes right thru the middle of it!

Sharon.. Since we are at a driving event, I'd be up for driving the teener to dinner wink.gif
shelby/914
Try Durango on google maps then put in the motel address and the word camp grounds and I got about 4 pages, of course some were fairly far away but several were within 2-4 miles.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Jun 20 2013, 11:54 AM) *

Bubble.. I have camped at a place called 'United Campground' just north on the 550 from the host hotel. (I just googled it.. 2 miles north) The narrow-gauge railroad goes right thru the middle of it!

Sharon.. Since we are at a driving event, I'd be up for driving the teener to dinner wink.gif

I agree - United is the best/closest to the hotel.

EDIT: United Campground at 970-247-3853. The website states $29/night for tents. And yes - those are the Narrow Gauge tracks right beside it. The earliest train (right now) is 8:30AM at my house so maybe 8:15 at United Campground.

Click to view attachment
ThinAir
Room booked! Mike & I will be there.
Elliot Cannon
The hotel seems kind of smallish. Am I wrong? How many rooms?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.