Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what do you think of this 914-6? [I bought it!]
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
siverson
My first 914 with one of these pumps. smile.gif

914Sixer
It is the stock six washer pump. Same one used on the 911 of the period. Easy to find, reproductions now available.
Phoenix-MN
H&H Carrera, I have the same bar on my 911 and 914

QUOTE(siverson @ Mar 7 2014, 08:15 PM) *

Removed old aftermarket sway bar. Anyone know what brand it is? Quality actually seems pretty decent...

-Steve

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(siverson @ Jan 18 2014, 10:23 PM) *

While I love Fuchs on 914s, and 15x6s are one of my favorites (great proportions), it's been bugging me that these aren't "correct" for a 914-6. So I've been debating going with 14" Fuchs or something different, but still correct for a 914-6.

These arrived today...

-Steve

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Did you happen to buy the Mahle wheels from a guy on Samba?
He buys +sells over there...he bought our wheels last month.
Marty
Eric_Shea
Lucky the calipers survived.
siverson
> Did you happen to buy the Mahle wheels from a guy on Samba?

I did, but they came from New Zealand. Same guy?

-Steve
siverson
> H&H Carrera, I have the same bar on my 911 and 914

Thanks. Any idea why are some people looking for them:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...l-sway-bars-f-r

?

-Steve
siverson
> Eric
> Lucky the calipers survived.

Yup, and you'll probably see them in a box shortly; I just need to get my parts list organized.

I'm curious, why do you say lucky? Sure they all get fugly with age, but with normal use/storage they don't often fail or become unrestorable, right? I guess I was just expecting to pull them off with issue.

-Steve

beer3.gif

Socalandy
Looking good!!! looks wet under the gas tank as mine did, Are you going to remove the seam sealer ? We ran into a lot of rust under seam sealer
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(siverson @ Mar 8 2014, 09:04 AM) *

> Eric
> Lucky the calipers survived.

Yup, and you'll probably see them in a box shortly; I just need to get my parts list organized.

I'm curious, why do you say lucky? Sure they all get fugly with age, but with normal use/storage they don't often fail or become unrestorable, right? I guess I was just expecting to pull them off with issue.

-Steve

beer3.gif

Many are missing their real six rear calipers.
siverson
> Many are missing their real six rear calipers.

Oh I see. Yes, nearly all the original parts are there.

-Steve
sixnotfour
save the goo around the struts,, its original

Is the circled area wrinkled ??
siverson
> Is the circled area wrinkled ??

Nope, just goop.

Body is almost entirely stripped now - I'll have some photos tomorrow.

-Steve
siverson
Making progress.

-Steve

siverson

siverson

siverson
Now in primer...
Larmo63
I'd like a shot at those Fuchs if you decide to sell them. Great car, great project!
Socalandy
Awesome first.gif first.gif first.gif
rick 918-S
Nice progress!
CptTripps
Nothing sexier than a teener in primer.

....except...well...one that's done.
Larmo63
Irish Green looks a bit better than primer IMHO.
Cairo94507
That is very exciting. One of these days I hope to see another Six in primer.......
siverson
Rear calipers look a little better. I'll try to clean them up a bit before putting them on. smile.gif

-Steve

siverson
siverson
This is what Eric @ PMB started with:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2007775

(I assume the fronts are still coming, only one box showed up today...)

-Steve
siverson
Body to be painted next week. No more white and almost back to Irish Green...

-Steve

ben*james
Wow....looking awesome!
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 8 2014, 05:35 PM) *
save the goo around the struts,, its original

agree.gif

Putting the black goo back on top of the shock towers is a nice touch. First thing i look for in a real /6 if i suspect a repaint.
smile.gif
Socalandy
first.gif Looks awesome!!!

I got the black goo recipe from Mr Shea and was just waiting for the alignment to get done.
rgalla9146
Looks great!
Take a close look at your washer pump.
Originals are often date stamped on the bottom.
Best part is, that they can usually be repaired or rebuilt.
siverson
I had sort of a strange question from the body shop today.

SHOP:
After review ...<snip>..., but we had no time for
color sand and buffing. So I just need to know how flat you would like the
finish product, I will take care of any dirt specs or drips. I know we
discussed leaving some orange peel but it is up to you.

ME:
Ok, understood. I'd like it to look really, really, nice. To be honest, I wasn't aware that some people intentionally left any orange peel.

SHOP:
but we had no time for color sand and buffing

ME:
I guess I assumed this was just part of the quote to "paint the whole car".

Regardless, how much time or money are we talking about? I don't want to cut corners now to save a small amount of time because this final work can have a major impact on the final product. So what's it take to make it really nice? I understand it's not a "Ridler show car", but the initial orange peel I saw the other day was way too much (looked like it was just sprayed which I understand).

My initial thought is I'd like it to be at least as flat as the original 1970 paint was, and probably a little better. I'll also research more to figure out what the right answer is.

-

So, 914world, any tips? How much orange peel is "right" for our cars?

-Steve

Maltese Falcon
For my dollar with new paint, it has to be wet sanded and buffed . An original painted 914 + its texture (original patina) is there for the next buyer; or with a re-spray = a better looking car but no longer original paint/ texture. As far as affecting the values of the 914 at the selling point, some people want the unrestored patina / others welcome fresh + perfect. I think that color change affects value downward. I think your body shop is taking the short road on your deal.
Marty
pete000
QUOTE(siverson @ Jan 5 2014, 10:33 AM) *

When I started to pull up all the tar. Note there are no "carpet hold downs" on the main floor board. They aren't on either side, but the factory tar is still everywhere.

-Steve

My early 6 #131 does not have any carpet mat hold downs on the main floor either. I was wondering if they got removed over the years or never came with any. idea.gif
pete000
I vote for no orange peal ... first.gif

Nothing beats a nice straight body than a perfect paint job !
rick 918-S
No peal. Blocked, buffed, polished, hand rubbed. BTW: Single stage not clear coated. The reflection looks softer like factory paint.
sixnotfour
100% Origonal Irish Green...showing the orange peel.. smile.gif
closeup of the door...best I can do.... dry.gif
JmuRiz
Talk to ScottyB...there's also the option of factory finish if it's been polished for the past 40+ years. One of our 356 friends wanted a factory finish, which means orange peel....saw another guy's original paint car that's been buffed/polished for 50 years...naturally he wanted his paint like that. FWIW the car won best of show at the Deutsche Marque Concours

Basically if you want it to look old stock, you'll have to buff/polish the orange peel out.
siverson
Great, thanks - that's helpful.

-Steve
boogie_man
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 10 2014, 10:07 PM) *

No peal. Blocked, buffed, polished, hand rubbed. BTW: Single stage not clear coated. The reflection looks softer like factory paint.

agree.gif

If it's been curing this long, a good block sand and a good polishing would do wonders on it. !!!
siverson
Getting closer... (glass is back in)

-Steve

siverson
siverson
On the way home for further dis-assembly (suspension) and then re-assembly.

-Steve

siverson
Anyone ever heard of this brand of shocks? It was on all four corners.

All the suspension components on this car were totally shot - most were original. The other strut insert fell apart and leaked oil everywhere when I pulled it out.

And it still had the original (long) rear springs - I hadn't removed a set of those in 15+ years or so. I don't have a spring compressor, but my kids were amused how I could "shoot" the retaining nut and plate across the yard. It was relatively safe operation; I setup an 914 shock part artillery range in the front yard because I knew what to expect after having been quite surprised many years ago.

-Steve
siverson
Hmmm.... ?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=JMF+argentina

-Steve
JmuRiz
You had to look that up? biggrin.gif

Strange though, didn't know he had his own line of signature shocks...
Mere's_72_914
QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 1 2014, 04:50 PM) *

Getting closer... (glass is back in)

-Steve

That color is gorgeous! Total girl thing to say, but wow!
siverson
Most of the plating and powder coating is done now. It's always hard to put cars back together like this and not make it too nice - this car will be 100% driver. Why do I need to re-plate the window guide that is inside the door that no one will ever see? I have no idea... smile.gif

-Steve

Click to view attachment
siverson
More
siverson
That "upside-down washer" on top of the rear shocks never looks right to me, but I'm pretty sure that's what the Haynes manual says.

It's been a while since I've re-assembled a stock shock mount. Is this right?

-Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.